Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rosie2019

It is interesting that a youttuber is actually honest about how long it takes to do a part of their job. I know there is probably a lot of admin to but I often wonder what they do all day.

Reactions: 1

Chocolate2008

VIP Member
She said her stepdad has been living with the dog at the farm. Odd considering her mum has been having cancer treatment in London. Maybe her stepdad is high risk for Covid.

I wish my Mum could build me a library barn! 😉

Smca53

VIP Member
<< ee-ness >> is the pronunciation where I'm from. It's a very common name in France, North Africa, Spain, Portugal, and Latin America. Very surprised that it's starting to be used by English-speakers now (Blake Lively/Ryan Reynolds and now Jess/Zak? lol). Americans often say << ee-nezz >> though (or worse, << eye-nezz >> lol)
Thank you! It’s quite a sweet name, I imagine it’ll sound nice said in Jess’ super calm voice lol.

As an aside, I’m surprised she’s shown the babies face already, I didn’t think she would. Maybe she won’t as baby starts growing etc.

Anne1448

VIP Member
She's old money? I thought her grandparents were just sort of middle-class (you can see their house in numerous of her videos), and it's her mother, stepfather, and father who are very well off? She's never mentioned investing that I know of? Thought she likely just had a trust fund. Pretty sure her parents helped her buy her house, as well, and she's still living in her mother's home - and will be for at least another year or more.
Yes, she is new money. Her parents had her at a young age. Her mother worked hard to become a lawyer but she was middle class.

This explains why she is more relaxed with Jess. Generally when your family has money for generations they don't give it to you while you do nothing. You are expected to make your own.

Lola123

VIP Member
Before covid she seemed to meet her uni friends now and again for a weekend. But I guess with them all living in different parts of the country, and that the others all probably have proper full time jobs means it's harder for everyone to get together.
And the fact she now has a baby! I imagine over the summer they’ll all go out to the farm like they normally do

Elyezabeth

Chatty Member
To me it seems a bit like hedging to try to keep maximum engagement. If influencers just said "I'll be switching over to mostly baby content" they'd lose a portion of their audience who liked them for general lifestyle content and aren't that interested in baby content. But if they just say something like "Of course I'll show [the baby/my kids] sometimes, and they'll be a huge part of my life, but I'd like to keep creating non-child content as well" they'll get their child-interested followers even more excited about upcoming baby content, while keeping the uninterested followers who will stay subscribed hoping for future content that's not child-focused. I also think it's probably genuinely what a lot of them intend to do, but it's a good PR move on their part as well.

Lola123

VIP Member
OT but I did law at Cambridge and 4 out of the 7 students doing law at my college all went to regular state school? 🤷‍♀️ It’s not really as elitist and full of toffs as people think. (But yes I understand what you’re saying about class).
But regular state schools barely exist now, grammar schools don’t count, state schools in middle class areas don’t count, it’s a lot more than just having the label of regular state school. How many pupil premium students do they let in? How many do they let in who have been in care or have been carers?
sorry to go OT but regardless of whether the house her grandparents owned wasn’t originally worth much, bet it was/is worth a pretty penny

Nova

VIP Member
I don’t think she actually thinks she can own an imprint. I think she was just answering a hypothetical question, like if she were to work in publishing, owning an imprint would be something she’d be interested in. I think she does realise that is not something you can just do.

But it’s still funny that was her response. She could have just said working in publishing seems nice, without talking about owning anything.

jjeett

Chatty Member
I'm super late to the party on this and missed her talking about it in a video because honestly some of them are too long for me. But why did she delete all her ratings and reviews from goodreads?

I can understand that the goodreads starring system can be a bit limiting but why get rid of the review? You could even make up your own rating system and just explain that in the review. I don't get it..

Sorry only just noticed because I wanted to get back into reading again especially fiction and I created a new goodreads and went to check her 'shelves'.

I wanted to read some written reviews of hers because on youtube she often describes a novel in such general ways it leaves me not wanting to read it at all.
She did that aaages and aaages ago no? She mentioned when it happened it was because the star rating wasn't in-depth enough for her? I think that was why

slugella

VIP Member
Sidenote, how has her mum been able to go on multiple month-long vacations with her each year?

Oh, also, if anyone can think of a good title for the thread where we catalogue all her expensive purchases, do share :)
Her mum took a sabbatical year from work, Jess mentioned it in a vlog at the time. I can't remember if all of her long trips with her mum were in the same year though?

bolimepipi

VIP Member
it's also a common name in the balkans, and i think the girl from married at first sight was bosnian :) i like it!

Lola123

VIP Member
I feel like jess’ parents are a bit more laid back? I feel like they were just happy she got into Edinburgh? I also think she went to private school simply because they could afford too, she doesn’t seem to mention any school friends much either?

Mr.Mistoffelees

Chatty Member
I guess she's slowly turning into a mommy blogger, despite what she claimed in her baby announcement video. Not that she has been relatable to me post-uni, but I do miss her lookbooks.

HaveSomeMilk

Chatty Member
I think I'm having a slow brain day and struggling to understand what google is telling me, but can someone clarify what the different is between a publisher and an imprint?

As far as I can gather it seems to be like a "brand" or label within a bigger publishing house and they may focus on certain genres of books to publish. Am I close? So does that mean that Puffin is an imprint of Penguin?