Sunbeamsjess #2 we put the same effort into this title as she does her content

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh lol I think I was skim-reading here and it's already known she's no longer with Freshfields. How did us in the thread find out? From the press release I linked above?

The term ‘Magic Circle’ refers to the top 5 UK firms (Freshfields being one of them). L&W is an American firm so it’s not part of that group but it’s the second largest law firm in the world by revenue (Freshfields is #16). Either way these types of firms have offices all over the world, including in London obviously. Her mom is loaded.
Thank you!

Also, while Freshfields pay for equity partners in London are massive, US firms like Latham & Watkins are even higher and on another level. Her mum will be getting a massive pay increase going to Lathams.

ETA - @jjeett it was announced in the press last week. Not sure how it was picked up on here otherwise unless there are a few in the legal sphere.

Reactions: 6
Her mother is an equity partner at one of the biggest law firms in the world (has been since 2008)*--she essentially does own part of the firm. She earns about £2 millions per year. So does her stepfather. If that aint super-rich then I don't know what is lmao. Definitely rich enough for Jess not to have to worry anyway. Not to mention her dad is also very well-off, being a doctor in the US. Not sure what kind of background Jess' maternal grandparents come from but both of their daughters (Jess' mother and Jess' aunt) went to Cambridge, so that says something.

*She was at Freshfields until now. She's actually just moved to Latham & Watkins.
L&W pay even more!

Slightly off topic but for those au fait with London law firms, where does L&W fit according to the 'magic circle' categorisation? Was just reading about them on Chambers. Qualification salaries at London law firms always impress me (I'm in the arts) but L&W is especially high - 190,000 (probably dreadful hours though, I envy the salary but I don't envy the work hours!)
Just checked, and her mum is a Band 1 lawyer, and Tax as well, that pays even more than for example Public Law or IP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Is anyone able to give a hint as to who her stepdad is? (If that’s not against the rules). I’m just curious. I know he’s a partner at freshfields and I know which department but I’m not sure which one is him…

Wow, her mum's career and background is mighty impressive. It makes me wonder what she thinks about Jess and Zak and what they do "for work". A bit different to a high-flying law or medical career!

Reactions: 15
Her mum has always sounded so incredibly driven.

And then, there is Jess…

Reactions: 16
Is anyone able to give a hint as to who her stepdad is? (If that’s not against the rules). I’m just curious. I know he’s a partner at freshfields and I know which department but I’m not sure which one is him…
Can you DM here? I can help but I don't know how to DM lol

Wow, her mum's career and background is mighty impressive. It makes me wonder what she thinks about Jess and Zak and what they do "for work". A bit different to a high-flying law or medical career!
I know! I want to see a day in the life vlog of her mum 😂 the contrast to Jess' sat rambling at her desk and calling it work haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I get the feeling her mum is very proud of Jess. Some people work hard so they can give their children freedom.

Reactions: 21
I'm honestly quite jealous of how supportive Jess' mother is regardless of what Jess does. Must be such a huge relief not having to live up to what everyone else is doing, including her own mother. It just shows how healthy her family dynamic must be. Obviously I don't know enough to make such a statement but it just seems that way from what I've gathered.

Reactions: 20
Does his name begin with a D 🙈
So she's def referred to his Christian name in vlogs.. it's Mark. There are a few partners with that name.

~ Got scared and am deleting the surname part ~

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm honestly quite jealous of how supportive Jess' mother is regardless of what Jess does. Must be such a huge relief not having to live up to what everyone else is doing, including her own mother. It just shows how healthy her family dynamic must be. Obviously I don't know enough to make such a statement but it just seems that way from what I've gathered.
Yeah it’s definitely a blessing to have a supportive family. Jess is very lucky.

Her Mum was ill for a while iirc? Getting through that and also managing to continue to see professional success is super impressive. A very cool grandma for baby Ines to look up to!

Reactions: 4
I’m mindblown about what a woman recovering from cancer would take on more stress!!! US law firms London are by reputation ruthless to work for.

Reactions: 9
So she's def referred to his Christian name in vlogs.. it's Mark. There are a few partners with that name.

~ Got scared and am deleting the surname part ~
And he’s retired now from the partnership, so he won’t be on the website anymore.

I’m mindblown about what a woman recovering from cancer would take on more stress!!! US law firms London are by reputation ruthless to work for.
This was honestly what went through my mind too when I heard the news!

Sorry for the double post! I’m not good at using the quote function twice in one post!

Reactions: 2
She’s probably one of those people who thrive from being busy/hard work and she probably loves her job. Hats off to her. I’m a lawyer too and she’s very inspiring!

Also thanks @jjeett I think I found him lol. My curiosity is satisfied. I’m assuming they met at work

I think at her level it will probably be the same amount of stress, although perhaps at a new firm, you obviously have the pressure of bringing in clients and generate business.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.