Stupid things you used to believe

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It is a bit yucky, but my parents had special name for a "number 2" when I was a child. They used the word 'pogo" instead of the actual word. This was all well and good until I used the word in front of a group of kids. You can imagine the reaction that I got from them. So thanks, Mum and Dad!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
my mum brought me up telling me ladies don't fart or poo...i was always ashamed growing up knowing i musnt have been like my mum and I'd never truly be a lady :(🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I used to believe growing up that the person who claimed to love you would never hurt you. I found out that wasnt true.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
My dad (who I no longer speak to through reasons I do not wish to discuss) said to me when I was very young you had to pay to have a baby. If I were to go to hospital to have a baby, it would cost £7k.

He then said I couldn’t have a sibling because he or my mum “couldn’t afford it.” Well truth be told, my mum struggled to have children.. it took her 7 years to have me.

He basically scared me into having children would be this huge financial impact in my life. So I had my first, to scared to talk to my midwife. I was on labour ward, contractions, plug gone and I said “I’m not ready yet I don’t have enough money I only have £6k, please don’t take my baby away from me I really tried. I didn’t want to get into debt, I only wanted what’s best for my child.”

The staff looked at me puzzled and I was calmed down by this wonderful doctor who reassured me everything was going to be okay & that claim in an NHS hospital... well she knew it was just lies.

But I felt the biggest fool ever. But it was only by why I was told all my way through childhood.

😞

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
My dad (who I no longer speak to through reasons I do not wish to discuss) said to me when I was very young you had to pay to have a baby. If I were to go to hospital to have a baby, it would cost £7k.

He then said I couldn’t have a sibling because he or my mum “couldn’t afford it.” Well truth be told, my mum struggled to have children.. it took her 7 years to have me.

He basically scared me into having children would be this huge financial impact in my life. So I had my first, to scared to talk to my midwife. I was on labour ward, contractions, plug gone and I said “I’m not ready yet I don’t have enough money I only have £6k, please don’t take my baby away from me I really tried. I didn’t want to get into debt, I only wanted what’s best for my child.”

The staff looked at me puzzled and I was calmed down by this wonderful doctor who reassured me everything was going to be okay & that claim in an NHS hospital... well she knew it was just lies.

But I felt the biggest fool ever. But it was only by why I was told all my way through childhood.

😞
Some of us have really horrible parents 😟

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Some of us have really horrible parents 😟
He is vile. Was vile. Just generally a fruit loop. Twisted alcoholic. Treated my poor mum terrible. Glad she had the guts to walk away ❤ He gave me a choice between him or her at the age of 14.

I chose my mum. Always my mum. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I thought there were dozens of places called “Give Way”

• Haha
Reactions: 11
When I was a kid, we’d have over head projectors in school assemblies so song lyrics would be on the wall. You’d often see the teachers finger tips on the wall when they were moving the sheets up and down. For some reason I always thought the finger tips were God’s fingers 🙈

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Sic is Latin-sic erat scriptum, “thus was it written” basically quoting something even though it’s not correct. I’ve just re-done English A-levels, it’s something I honestly thought I would never discuss again 😂
Until I was *far* too old I genuinely believed believed that haggis were small furry creatures with legs longer one side than the other to run sideways up the Scottish mountains.

Even more embarrassingly, until last year, when doing my 11 year olds project on sea life with her, I thought narwhals were mythical creatures. I thought narwhals were to whales what unicorns are to ponies 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I was told when the ice cream van had music playing it was to let us know he had ran out of ice cream ... prayed for the day he drove in with no music 🤣

Also when watching music videos (I remember it vividly being hear say) thinking god they must get up really early to have to do this music video everyday on each channel 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 7
When I was a kid, we’d have over head projectors in school assemblies so song lyrics would be on the wall. You’d often see the teachers finger tips on the wall when they were moving the sheets up and down. For some reason I always thought the finger tips were God’s fingers 🙈
This has made me properly chuckle! 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I grew up in Cornwall so obviously there was lots of holiday accommodation, you often see signs that say B&B 3 miles or B&B ➡
I always thought B&B was an actual place not just bed and breakfast 🙈 I couldn't work out how we always saw signs for it but it couldnt be a big place as we never went there

Reactions: 6
Thinking that you die when you reach 100 so my best friend who was a year and a week older than me would die first.

The bogey monster a man used to visit each night and put bogeys in your nose and I pictured them like little pots of the inside of winkles 🤢🤢🤢😂😂😂😂

Reactions: 2
Reading back through these has brought up some good memories. We also use to call farting blowing off.. did you just blow off?! Although we call the tv remote a presser 😂 My mum told me that if you eat the seeds of a water melon one would grow in your belly, I ate the seeds anyway and figured I was lucky and an inhospitable melon host 🤷🏼‍♀️. I use to think thunder was god blowing off... That my mum could fix anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Sic is Latin-sic erat scriptum, “thus was it written” basically quoting something even though it’s not correct. I’ve just re-done English A-levels, it’s something I honestly thought I would never discuss again 😂
Until I was *far* too old I genuinely believed believed that haggis were small furry creatures with legs longer one side than the other to run sideways up the Scottish mountains.

Even more embarrassingly, until last year, when doing my 11 year olds project on sea life with her, I thought narwhals were mythical creatures. I thought narwhals were to whales what unicorns are to ponies 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
I’m so shocked! I even thought you might’ve been playing a little joke with this post! I had never seen a photo of one until about 2 minutes ago!

Reactions: 1
I’m so shocked! I even thought you might’ve been playing a little joke with this post! I had never seen a photo of one until about 2 minutes ago!
I honestly thought they weren’t real until my 11 year old educated me 🤦🏻‍♀️😂