Stupid things you used to believe

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mum told me you have to own more than one goldfish else it will die of loneliness (we had a goldfish that died a few days after we bought it). I believed it for a long time.

Reactions: 4
We have a massive hill outside our family home my dad used to tell me it was a dinasour and his tb Jag was a dinasour bite😀ps my dad not that old

When I was little my mum told me Dr Banados - the charity shop on our high street was where you left naughty children. She used to pretend to phone them to come and get me, I used to be hysterical crying, then I cant remember what I did she left me outside drove round the corner, I wasnt even very naughty.🥺

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
As a kid, I used to think that everything in the past was in black-and-white because of old films and TV shows.
I was about to post the same thing as well as when you hear people laugh on tv I was convinced that you could other people who were in their homes so i would always laugh behind a cushion my brother asked me what was doing and when I told him he took the piss for years even convinced me we could speak through the tv and he would hear it cue my mum thinking i was crazy sat yelling at the tv 😂

We
When I was a little girl my nan used to carry around a ‘magic cloth’ whenever we went to the park to play. One day I remember this little girl falling over and starting to cry because she had hurt herself, I ran over to my nan and said ‘get the magic cloth!’ And I went on to tell this girl that once she had this magic cloth pressed on her injury it would get better- I truly believed this! It was only years later, when my nan had sadly passed when I sat and remember the ‘magic cloth’ it was actually just a wet flannel that she took out in case we injured ourselves to clean the cut/ dirt !! But because my nan made everything so magical I really did think it was! God I miss her so much. Xx
We say magic sponge to all the football players who have an "injury" in the game one damp on the magic sponge and they're back up and running around where as before they were crying in pain- seriously watch a football match and see the magic sponge its hilarious 😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
They can fly????
This reminds me of the Banff unicorn video on YouTube. (Except that wasn't a reindeer , it was an elk or something).

Although when I first saw a reindeer, they were much smaller than I expected.

We called super noodles “wriggly worms” in my house. It wasn’t until I went to uni that I realised we were the only ones 😂

We also said the “mucky pub” and “mucky beer”, my husbands thinks I’m daft.

Reactions: 1
My family used to call Parmesan "Sweaty Socks". I was a bit disheartened to discover no one else did.

• Haha
My family called the TV remote control 'the twitcher', still do this day I call it that. And my mum never liked the word fart, so they were 'blow-offs'.

Reactions: 2
When I was little my mum told me Dr Banados - the charity shop on our high street was where you left naughty children. She used to pretend to phone them to come and get me, I used to be hysterical crying, then I cant remember what I did she left me outside drove round the corner, I wasnt even very naughty.🥺
That's a really horrible thing to do to a child :( My mother used to do something similar to me. There was a really big detached house with huge gates near where we lived and my mother used to tell me that bold children were put in there for adoption, and that she'd put me in there.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Until I was in my mid 30’s I thought the phrase “lovely weather for ducks” was mean because I didn’t realise ducks were waterproof.

I also worked with a woman who was ADAMANT that you HAD to eat Corned Beef ‘Ash on Ash Wednesday and that they had it every year. She got really cross when none of us knew what she was talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I wouldn’t say it’s stupid as I really wish it was true in some way especially now I’m a mum myself and my mum is getting older but back when I was little I used to think people didn’t die, that when you reached a certain age you’d turn into a giant and we’d all go live in giant land ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The summer before I started junior school my older brother told me that they only let you in class if you could do joined up writing in pen without making any mistakes. I spent the whole of the 6 weeks holidays practicing. Was terrified the night before school started.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
When me and my sister were little my mom
told us on one holiday to Wales that the Welsh sheep have two legs slightly shorter than their other two legs , so when they are on a hill (which there are many in Wales) they don’t roll down it. Making them more balanced. Believed it up until about 5 years ago when I mentioned how clever it was that welsh sheep had evolved this way to work colleagues...I’m 38 years old. My mum couldn’t stop laughing when I told her this and my sister was equally as shocked as me that it wasn’t real, she’s 41 😂😂😂 My mum is a very convincing woman!
My mum told me that the cows had Velcro on there feet to stay up on hills
I still get laughed at about it now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The summer before I started junior school my older brother told me that they only let you in class if you could do joined up writing in pen without making any mistakes. I spent the whole of the 6 weeks holidays practicing. Was terrified the night before school started.
My own dad told me this as a kid.

We have a massive hill outside our family home my dad used to tell me it was a dinasour and his tb Jag was a dinasour bite😀ps my dad not that old
It might be true! Normally when you have flat areas and there are a random hill it will have fossils in or underneath it 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 1
That's a really horrible thing to do to a child :( My mother used to do something similar to me. There was a really big detached house with huge gates near where we lived and my mother used to tell me that bold children were put in there for adoption, and that she'd put me in there.
Very sad 😥

• Sad
My Mum also used to pretend to phone the naughty boys and girls home to come and take us away if we misbehaved. The home in question was near our house and was later in the news because kids there were abused.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8