Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Upintheair83

VIP Member
When I was a little girl my nan used to carry around a ‘magic cloth’ whenever we went to the park to play. One day I remember this little girl falling over and starting to cry because she had hurt herself, I ran over to my nan and said ‘get the magic cloth!’ And I went on to tell this girl that once she had this magic cloth pressed on her injury it would get better- I truly believed this! It was only years later, when my nan had sadly passed when I sat and remember the ‘magic cloth’ it was actually just a wet flannel that she took out in case we injured ourselves to clean the cut/ dirt !! But because my nan made everything so magical I really did think it was! God I miss her so much. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 62

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
On Facebook I used to wonder at how many people were called ‘Tia’ and felt the need to sign off on their posts. Took me friggin ages to realise that it stood for Thanks In Advance. Honestly, I’ve never told anyone that- I just figured it was a really popular name 🤦‍♀️

Please do share yours and reassure me that I am not the only person who can be a bit slow on the uptake 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 60

When me and my sister were little my mom
told us on one holiday to Wales that the Welsh sheep have two legs slightly shorter than their other two legs , so when they are on a hill (which there are many in Wales) they don’t roll down it. Making them more balanced. Believed it up until about 5 years ago when I mentioned how clever it was that welsh sheep had evolved this way to work colleagues...I’m 38 years old. My mum couldn’t stop laughing when I told her this and my sister was equally as shocked as me that it wasn’t real, she’s 41 😂😂😂 My mum is a very convincing woman!

• Haha
Reactions: 54

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
As a little girl I had a book of poems and stories, I read it until it was threadbare, and always marvelled at this “ANON” person and just how many stories he’d written 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42

Carmen 6

VIP Member
My grandmother told me when I was tiny that if you swallowed chewing gum, it wrapped round your heart, and you died.
Also, that if you swallowed your cherry pips, a tree grew inside you.
Awful woman.😂

• Haha
Reactions: 38

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I used to think "bombzittit" was a word for messy room. What I realised years later was that my mother was saying " this room looks like a bomb has hit it", not that it was a "bombzittit". :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 37

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
I still don’t know what <sic> means 🤣 I’m hoping someone will enlighten me!! I’m not very “woke”
Ha! I know that one- woop! It means that if, for example, a journalist is quoting someone word for word, that is clear to the reader. So if you had written on Twitter, say, “I can’t bare that man.” (note that you had used the wrong ‘bare’, as it should have been ‘bear’). If I was then writing an article about you and what you had posted I’d write - LittlemissM was overheard in a restaurant saying ‘I can’t bare that man (sic)’.

Basically I’m letting readers know that it’s you with the shit grammar and doesn’t know the difference between bare and bear, not me, but because it’s a direct quote I haven’t corrected it.

• Haha
Reactions: 33

Gembo

VIP Member
When I was little I asked my mum how babies got in your tummy and she said they just came by themselves and I worried about that for years as I did not want a baby just turning up whenever it felt like it. It was a relief to find out the truth!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
When I was a child, I was convinced I could see the Disneyland Paris castle from my back garden.

I live near Birmingham. It was a pylon.

• Haha
Reactions: 31

Gembo

VIP Member
My Nan told me that tucking my hair behind my ears would make them stick out, even just one strand of hair would be enough to do it she said! I also believed that all dogs were boys and all cats were girls

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

Dex

When I was a kid I thought the term wearing “a birthday suit” meant someone was wearing a fancy outfit 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30

Hastaggifted

VIP Member
When I was little as I went to sit on the toilet my mum pinched my bum, but said it wasn't her and must have been something that had crawled up the toilet and got me. For YEARS I would look down and flush the toilet before going incase it crawled up and pinched me again 😒🙈🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 29

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
As a kid, I used to think that everything in the past was in black-and-white because of old films and TV shows.
My nephew is 16 now, but when he was about 4 he asked his grandmother if it was 'scary' when she was small? She asked him what did he mean and he replied "Because of the dinosaurs Nana".

• Haha
Reactions: 29

nbt

VIP Member
I can't remember if I was told it was illegal but I was definitely told it's something you shouldn't do when the car is moving!
And literally AS SOON as you put it on... “get that light off, if the police see us....” 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 28

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
That when the ice cream man came around in the winter he was selling soup. I believed that for years.

• Haha
Reactions: 28