Strictly Come Dancing 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Slightly side eying Gorka for reposting a story on his Instagram saying the scores in the Spanish Strictly are a joke but at least he has integrity. Might be true but doesn’t exactly endear you to your fellow judges?! It sounds absolutely bat tit reading the comments here tbf
Eh? From the brief section I watched, he was dishing ‘ochos’ out like caramelos!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’ve sat and watched it today, well, the dances and scoring fast forwarding through the rest. All I can say is that is what would happen if we had a cast with no previous experience. A couple who had a bit of potential but the majority I wouldn’t have known what the dance was meant to be if it wasn’t announced at the start. It was batshit but I kinda liked it and will have some of whatever Antonia and Boris are on please.

It showed how much Strictly do get right, I’m even appreciating the caterwauling singers more! Bring on the ringers and memorable performances!
---
Layton and Nikita have just added 7 more workshop dates if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Just finished reading Johannes' book, what an absolutely beautiful read it was! Wholesome, emotional, generally all round lovely. I'll put the next bits under spoilers so that if you want to read the book, you won't get it spoiled, but it's nothing significant, just my thoughts on his time on the show and thoughts on partners.

First of all, the adversity he's overcome is impressive. Putting his identity aside, even just making it in the world of dance coming from an underprivileged background is no easy feat. Second, I think it's interesting to hear his thoughts on his first stint on the South African version of Strictly. We've spoken a lot here recently about Gio being a bit of a militant teacher and overworking talent. Johannes himself admits that in his first season of Strictly in SA, he was too strict and took all the enjoyment out of dancing with his partner, and didn't click with her because of that. He vowed with every partnership he was lucky enough to get after that, he would focus on the enjoyment first and foremost. Interesting that only one season he gained that insight, and Gio hasn't in however many.

Moving on, there's been a lot of comments on the Strictly threads about how people hoped Johannes would seek therapy first after Caroline Quentin and then after John. Interestingly, Johannes does seek therapy, but not for that. So he's not against therapy and has sought it himself.

Now onto his partnerships on the UK version of Strictly. This is what I find most curious. Of his four partnerships; Catherine, Caroline, John and Ellie, the general feeling on this thread is that he didn't enjoy Caroline or John. Now obviously he's not going to spend the book slating his partnerships, but actually taking from how he wrote about each, I would say that Catherine was the one he was least enchanted with. I have to stress he doesn't say anything bad, but he gushes about the others more than Catherine. His partnership with John seems to have meant the most to him, which makes sense with the themes of the book. Ellie he seems to have found very endearing, and Caroline he really talks up. He seems to not be able to believe that they'd partner him with her, and believes she's a huge star. Just thought it was interesting!

Lastly, a very small note, but I thought it was interesting. Here's how he describes each of the Strictly crew, this is the only mention of them.
"I lost my mind when I saw Anton. The man is a legend. There was Aljaz, looking cute as always. Janette who is super talented. Karen, who I wouldn't want to cross. Gorka is one of the most honest and genuine people you will ever meet. Neil, the prankster. Dianne, the happy chick you need in your corner to brighten your day. There was kind Amy and then, of course, lovely Luba - but don't mess with her. I felt like I knew these people long before I joined the show. The latin and ballroom professional world is very insular. Amy and Neil were world champions and I knew of them even before Strictly. The biggest thing for me was also being in the same room as Oti Mabuse." He later on mentions that Graziano is his best friend too.

What I find interesting about this, is that this was in 2019. There are a few dancers he does not mention, who were on this season. Kevin, Giovanni, Katya, Nadiya & AJ. I wouldn't find this odd if he'd only mentioned one or two people, but he's gone to lengths to detail each and every other person. But those five. Idk! Just stood out to me when I read that section.

Anyway this is way too long, all in all, it's a lovely book. I think he's been very careful to not dish any dirt or disrespect anyone. He doesn't share any insights about his Strictly crew really, nor does he share anything about the judges. It's not a book to read if you're looking for gossip, but if you're looking to learn about Johannes' journey and who he is, it's the loveliest read to brighten your winter.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I have his audio book waiting for when I need some cheering up.

Reactions: 8
Vito’s floor mopping routine. (Apparently this is what he made Ellie do before rehearsals). *goes off to write handyman fanfic*

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Just finished reading Johannes' book, what an absolutely beautiful read it was! Wholesome, emotional, generally all round lovely. I'll put the next bits under spoilers so that if you want to read the book, you won't get it spoiled, but it's nothing significant, just my thoughts on his time on the show and thoughts on partners.

First of all, the adversity he's overcome is impressive. Putting his identity aside, even just making it in the world of dance coming from an underprivileged background is no easy feat. Second, I think it's interesting to hear his thoughts on his first stint on the South African version of Strictly. We've spoken a lot here recently about Gio being a bit of a militant teacher and overworking talent. Johannes himself admits that in his first season of Strictly in SA, he was too strict and took all the enjoyment out of dancing with his partner, and didn't click with her because of that. He vowed with every partnership he was lucky enough to get after that, he would focus on the enjoyment first and foremost. Interesting that only one season he gained that insight, and Gio hasn't in however many.

Moving on, there's been a lot of comments on the Strictly threads about how people hoped Johannes would seek therapy first after Caroline Quentin and then after John. Interestingly, Johannes does seek therapy, but not for that. So he's not against therapy and has sought it himself.

Now onto his partnerships on the UK version of Strictly. This is what I find most curious. Of his four partnerships; Catherine, Caroline, John and Ellie, the general feeling on this thread is that he didn't enjoy Caroline or John. Now obviously he's not going to spend the book slating his partnerships, but actually taking from how he wrote about each, I would say that Catherine was the one he was least enchanted with. I have to stress he doesn't say anything bad, but he gushes about the others more than Catherine. His partnership with John seems to have meant the most to him, which makes sense with the themes of the book. Ellie he seems to have found very endearing, and Caroline he really talks up. He seems to not be able to believe that they'd partner him with her, and believes she's a huge star. Just thought it was interesting!

Lastly, a very small note, but I thought it was interesting. Here's how he describes each of the Strictly crew, this is the only mention of them.
"I lost my mind when I saw Anton. The man is a legend. There was Aljaz, looking cute as always. Janette who is super talented. Karen, who I wouldn't want to cross. Gorka is one of the most honest and genuine people you will ever meet. Neil, the prankster. Dianne, the happy chick you need in your corner to brighten your day. There was kind Amy and then, of course, lovely Luba - but don't mess with her. I felt like I knew these people long before I joined the show. The latin and ballroom professional world is very insular. Amy and Neil were world champions and I knew of them even before Strictly. The biggest thing for me was also being in the same room as Oti Mabuse." He later on mentions that Graziano is his best friend too.

What I find interesting about this, is that this was in 2019. There are a few dancers he does not mention, who were on this season. Kevin, Giovanni, Katya, Nadiya & AJ. I wouldn't find this odd if he'd only mentioned one or two people, but he's gone to lengths to detail each and every other person. But those five. Idk! Just stood out to me when I read that section.

Anyway this is way too long, all in all, it's a lovely book. I think he's been very careful to not dish any dirt or disrespect anyone. He doesn't share any insights about his Strictly crew really, nor does he share anything about the judges. It's not a book to read if you're looking for gossip, but if you're looking to learn about Johannes' journey and who he is, it's the loveliest read to brighten your winter.
That's really weird he would mention Neil being a world champion but not Katya when they won together! I like Johannes but that seems a bit odd and petty.

Reactions: 6
I thought she wasn't "invited" back for the final dance???

I wasn't big fan of Amanda prior to the show for the whole going bankrupt will living with a multi millionaire - also didn't like him for not helping her out - I know it's more complicated but hey we all judge celebrities for stupid reasons.

I honestly didn't know about anything her social media and terfy comments - that wouldn't bother me given I'm also in my 50s and have concerns about these issues. Don't bother trying to debate with me - I'm not changing my mind and neither are you!!!

Amanda did some lovely dances with Gio and I was looking forward to their journey in the competition. However even if they hadn't withdrawn, I don't think they'd have bothered the final as they didn't seem to have a connection - if was very professional with no emotion attached.

If Gio has mistreated Amanda, he needs to go. And bear in mind I've got tickets to see him so I'm a fan.

If it's a case of 50/50 he can stay. But as I've said before I think he needs to speak to Anton about how to last on the show.

As for the comments on social media - I wouldn't automatically assume its Gio fans giving Amanda grief.

Look at Ellie - EVERYONE loved her, loads of 💩 was being chucked at Layton and his family

However the second she wins, she's getting loads of 💩💩💩 and comments that she shouldn't have won, generally it seems Bobby was the chosen one.

We have to face facts, people love berating women for all manner of things, real and imagined.
Celebs who have left for mental health reasons have never come back for the final (Will/Rob). I think it’s just the tabloids getting carried away with themselves and spinning a story out of straw.

I couldn’t care less what they say on social media, but I reserve the right to side eye anyone who goes on a social media spring clean (yes Kelvin and Annabel this does also include you) just because they think it might lose them votes on a shiney floor show Saturday night bit of daft. If they are genuinely your views, own them.

Reactions: 11
Eh? From the brief section I watched, he was dishing ‘ochos’ out like caramelos!
I can't get over him giving an 8 to a jive that was worse than the one he did with Nikita 😂 I would barely have even known it was supposed to be a jive, I swear there wasn't a single kick in it. And he gave the ringer who was the best by a wide margin the same score?!

Can't blame him for having lost his mind by that point though, at nearly 3 hours and still not halfway through.

The other judges: Going batshit crazy
Gorka: Disassociating

• Haha
  • Wow
I can't get over him giving an 8 to a jive that was worse than the one he did with Nikita 😂 I would barely have even known it was supposed to be a jive, I swear there wasn't a single kick in it. And he gave the ringer who was the best by a wide margin the same score?!

Can't blame him for having lost his mind by that point though, at nearly 3 hours and still not halfway through.

I am getting VERY strong Italian Strictly vibes from this! You can literally see Gorka mentally running through his next workout and calculating whether the jackets his stylist has lined up for next week is overstyled enough

• Haha
The same sex couple look like they have come straight from Vito’s Dads.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Another crazy exchange on DS:
Perhaps he’d have been better off leaving after Rose. She was obviously special to teach and the whole process gave him great satisfaction. As well as a win.

Why should he leave? He obviously (usually) enjoys his job on Strictly.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Not usually one to drop in on these threads but "hello"! I saw Kevin Clifton is in the new series of Father Brown, I wonder if any of the cast (aside Tom Chambers) would be approached for this year.

Reactions: 1

Makes Anton and Bruno seem like decent judges.

Although I'd give everything for Craig to do a night on this, proper early days Craig, when he was ruthless and brutal. He'd be handing out zeros left right and centre.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Makes Anton and Bruno seem like decent judges.

Although I'd give everything for Craig to do a night on this, proper early days Craig, when he was ruthless and brutal. He'd be handing out zeros left right and centre.
I’m just remembering the early days of Dancing on Ice when Jason Gardiner told Sharron Davies she looked like an unflushable turd. Beautiful television.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Not usually one to drop in on these threads but "hello"! I saw Kevin Clifton is in the new series of Father Brown, I wonder if any of the cast (aside Tom Chambers) would be approached for this year.
Oh thanks for sharing I didn't realise Kevin had done any tv acting work. Was he any good?

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.