Strictly Come Dancing 2024 #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Two more thoughts:

The 'why didn't they complain at the time?' arguments are stupid. Laura did complain at the time. And if we assume the third complainant is Ranvir, there are lots of obvious reasons why. 1 - it was the Covid year, so she wouldn't have seen as much of how other pros and celebs interacted to immediately identify that he was treating her unusually harshly. 2 - She seems a fairly reserved, soft-spoken person, and she's a journalist. Not surprising that she'd take some time to reflect before jumping into a formal complaint. 3 - How do we know she didn't say something to producers at the time and got ignored just like Amanda? 4 - No one wants to quit a show they've been contracted to do, nor publically make serious allegations while still under contract. Most people would grit their teeth and power through. 5 - She did make comments that his teaching style was too harsh for her and was destroying her confidence.

Dancers are tough cookies. I took B&L lessons for a few years as a child (alas, I sucked) and the most reiterated lesson about ballroom posture was 'if it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong'. My teacher didn't miss a single week of class even when she was pregnant. She taught a class 2 days before giving birth, and 5 days after. It's understandable that pros would have some trouble adjusting to the level of a non-athletic person while trying to pull a whole performance together in a week. But all the others manage to make the adjustment sooner or later. The fact that he hasn't learnt to dial it down in 9 years is a testament to his character. There've been other pros, particularly in the earlier series who've had complaints of being too harsh, but all of them managed to move forward from them. I think he's worse than Maks tbh, and that takes some doing. I'm pretty sure even he admits he mishandled some of his earlier partnerships because he was trying to teach them the way he was taught. Gio doubling down that he's not going to change his teaching style for anyone is not a good look.

Reactions: 11
That’s indisputably why 100% of them sign up. The BBC have done a great job of spinning the show as some sort of spiritual vocation, but it’s a paid reality TV gig and no one - front of stage or backstage - is turning up for free.
I wonder will it be slightly harder to get celebrities to sign up, with the fall out from this?

As well as seeing poor Nigel getting nitpicked, and ultimately getting physically injured. The cameras constantly on them, although in the case of Bobby and Dianne, for example. that was possibly orchestrated, but even so.

It's all very full on. Photos of the celebrity or pro leaving rehearsals, and describing them as looking close, or distraught or sad or whatever else. I imagine it's a lot more than what people bargained for, when they signed up.

Reactions: 9
All I want from Strictly is to see some good dancing, a bit of light hearted entertainment, and enjoy watching ‘The Journey’ of contestants I like. That’s it.
Same for me. I would like more contestants like Krishnan that radiate joy when dancing - I didn’t care that he wasn’t best dancer, he did his best and had fun - it showed. Oh some ringers as well.
---
Just seen Michelle’s post on insta her mum is stunning.
[/QUOTE]
Lauren was a great example of a pro who ‘got’ her celeb and made it a great experience for them. Gio should have taken note.

Reactions: 13
Two more thoughts:

The 'why didn't they complain at the time?' arguments are stupid. Laura did complain at the time. And if we assume the third complainant is Ranvir, there are lots of obvious reasons why. 1 - it was the Covid year, so she wouldn't have seen as much of how other pros and celebs interacted to immediately identify that he was treating her unusually harshly. 2 - She seems a fairly reserved, soft-spoken person, and she's a journalist. Not surprising that she'd take some time to reflect before jumping into a formal complaint. 3 - How do we know she didn't say something to producers at the time and got ignored just like Amanda? 4 - No one wants to quit a show they've been contracted to do, nor publically make serious allegations while still under contract. Most people would grit their teeth and power through. 5 - She did make comments that his teaching style was too harsh for her and was destroying her confidence.

Dancers are tough cookies. I took B&L lessons for a few years as a child (alas, I sucked) and the most reiterated lesson about ballroom posture was 'if it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong'. My teacher didn't miss a single week of class even when she was pregnant. She taught a class 2 days before giving birth, and 5 days after. It's understandable that pros would have some trouble adjusting to the level of a non-athletic person while trying to pull a whole performance together in a week. But all the others manage to make the adjustment sooner or later. The fact that he hasn't learnt to dial it down in 9 years is a testament to his character. There've been other pros, particularly in the earlier series who've had complaints of being too harsh, but all of them managed to move forward from them. I think he's worse than Maks tbh, and that takes some doing. I'm pretty sure even he admits he mishandled some of his earlier partnerships because he was trying to teach them the way he was taught. Gio doubling down that he's not going to change his teaching style for anyone is not a good look.
The article @soccergirl posted earlier says Ranvir is also thought to have complained at the time, I guess this is stepping up the grievance since it hasn't been resolved if celebrities are continuing to have issues (assuming she's the third)

Screenshot_20240519_122648_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: 5
Same for me. I would like more contestants like Krishnan that radiate joy when dancing - I didn’t care that he wasn’t best dancer, he did his best and had fun - it showed. Oh some ringers as well.
---
Lauren was a great example of a pro who ‘got’ her celeb and made it a great experience for them. Gio should have taken note.
[/QUOTE]

I looked forward to seeing Krishnan every week, and the openness with which he spoke about what doing Strictly meant to him. That's what the show is about.

I wouldn't have changed any of the partnerships, thinking back over them. Any of the other pros would have been better for Amanda, with hindsight. JoJo, Kai, Vito, Graz, Nikita, Gorka, Carlos - all of them really come across as kind.

Competitive, yes, of course, but I think they want to make the show a good experience for their celebrity. I genuinely cannot imagine any of them reducing a partner to tears.

Reactions: 14
I really can’t stand the talk of member size to put a man down. It’s just body shaming and used in place of the person being able to provide a more articulate response.
Who's discussing Gio's member? No one wants to think about that. I don't know where that's come from.

Reactions: 6
I looked forward to seeing Krishnan every week, and the openness with which he spoke about what doing Strictly meant to him. That's what the show is about.

I wouldn't have changed any of the partnerships, thinking back over them. Any of the other pros would have been better for Amanda, with hindsight. JoJo, Kai, Vito, Graz, Nikita, Gorka, Carlos - all of them really come across as kind.

Competitive, yes, of course, but I think they want to make the show a good experience for their celebrity. I genuinely cannot imagine any of them reducing a partner to tears.
[/QUOTE]
Hmm, Kai over pushed AJ to the point where she broke, but luckily she acknowledges she was willing to go along with it, as someone who is equally determined. I think he should have realised sooner she was at the point of injury, but was all new and excited in his first turn on Strictly and out to prove himself. She’s not the type to make a deal of it now and has moved on to be fair. Gorka, Carlos or Graz would have been best for Amanda.

I wonder will it be slightly harder to get celebrities to sign up, with the fall out from this?

As well as seeing poor Nigel getting nitpicked, and ultimately getting physically injured. The cameras constantly on them, although in the case of Bobby and Dianne, for example. that was possibly orchestrated, but even so.

It's all very full on. Photos of the celebrity or pro leaving rehearsals, and describing them as looking close, or distraught or sad or whatever else. I imagine it's a lot more than what people bargained for, when they signed up.
I doubt it tbh, very few shows these days are capable of getting anything like the numbers strictly gets.

Anyway, not long now till Su Pollard (Strictly Winner 2024) is announced.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I will be intrigued to see how Vito does with a celeb that isn’t a natural dancer, although I think he will be fine. I reckon he is quite aware he is unlikely to get far in this years strictly. I hope he does a Gorka and give them a good time.

Reactions: 10
I will be intrigued to see how Vito does with a celeb that isn’t a natural dancer, although I think he will be fine. I reckon he is quite aware he is unlikely to get far in this years strictly. I hope he does a Gorka and give them a good time.
I think so too. I imagine he would be kind and patient, and a bit of fun, no matter what.

Reactions: 9
At least with Neil and Stacey together you’d have a guaranteed piss break during the early week marathon shows.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I could just about manage with Stacey but if Joe Swash comes within 5 miles of the studio give me strength ….
Oooh I’m now having unhappy thought that they’ll have Stacey and Swash and team them with another couple .. are there any couples amongst the pros besides Kai and Nadiya.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I could just about manage with Stacey but if Joe Swash comes within 5 miles of the studio give me strength ….
Oooh I’m now having unhappy thought that they’ll have Stacey and Swash and team them with another couple .. are there any couples amongst the pros besides Kai and Nadiya.
I would need tranquillisers if that happened. (I'm still not over Swash winning Dancing on Ice. Perri Kiely was robbed!)

I definitely could not listen to or look at either of them. Aaaaaaaargh,

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I would need tranquillisers if that happened. (I'm still not over Swash winning Dancing on Ice. Perri Kiely was robbed!)

I definitely could not listen to or look at either of them. Aaaaaaaargh,
If they teamed them up with those two that would sort out my wee breaks nicely.

Reactions: 1
All I want from Strictly is to see some good dancing, a bit of light hearted entertainment, and enjoy watching ‘The Journey’ of contestants I like. That’s it.
---
[/QUOTE]
Exactly this. Krishnan was a brilliant contestant and found unexpected joy in dancing. That is what I want to see.

I’ve heard a very random rumour that Olly Murs has signed up. I think he would be good.
I’d love that be an excuse to Stay Cheeky again. I realise this is a very niche reference and you’ll only understand if you were on the Starstruck thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.