Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone suggested on the previous thread that they might do a "Surprise, you're both through", like DWTS did recently. It sounds a bit too gimmicky and cruel for Strictly...but I wondered if they might do their own take on it: announce on the show that the judges will get the choice about whether to save both, but stress that they may well choose to save only one, so that's why it's still important to vote for your fave.

I still think it's probably unlikely...but it would be in keeping with why BBC are mysteriously refusing to confirm either way that there will be an elimination, saying instead that there will be an announcement on the show tonight.
I think they are not saying anything so people watch the show to find out what’s occurring.

Reactions: 6
Why are there no contingencies for injuries and celebs who leave for other reasons,?
---
Amanda A left very early on - they should have not had an elimination that week
That’s the thing, because they still had an elimination that week I can’t help but think it’s ties their hands a bit. Whomever went out after Amanda left could easy say another week with a dance that suited them better could have changed the outcome. I can’t remember who it was tbf so that might not be the case but I just think it’ll look bad to change the ‘rules’ at the quarter final stage.

ETA - it was Zara and Graziano so if it hadn’t been that week it would have probably been the next anyway

Reactions: 4
This just reaffirms that the show has to change direction next year. I don't know how many more series they can continue being the top show on TV whilst having multiple withdrawals, tit judging and being sob story central.

Reactions: 24
To be fair this year, it was touch and go with Jody.
I think the show was rather glad to shuffle off Jody and Adam before they ended up with another withdrawal.
Jody at the very least could have been given a simpler dance than a Salsa, they have changed dances at last minute in the past.

I think in future they really need to take a really hard look at the physical and mental fitness of the celebs rather than get excited over booking someone. Amanda seemed rather fragile right from the off and it just seemed way too soon after a major life changing event for her to be really doing strictly. And Adam had only recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and was still getting to grips with it.
The celebs don't always know what they are letting themselves in for in terms of the intensity of the strictly bubble and how it will dominate their lives for months on end but TPTB are fully aware and have a duty of care not to take advantage of people.

Reactions: 20
I'm feeling as gutted as I was when AJ had to leave and so sad after his excitement on ITT. He's the one who would still excite me in the "no idea how he'll perform on the night".

Need to get a grip and continue enjoying tonight 😥

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Jesus! Just popped in to say I've popped my prosecco cork to this bombell news!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
This just reaffirms that the show has to change direction next year. I don't know how many more series they can continue being the top show on TV whilst having multiple withdrawals, tit judging and being sob story central.
It reminds me when X factor started to go down hill it's a similar downwards trajectory. There needs to be a shake up of those in charge it's all become a bit lazy.
It's especially sad when they have an absolutely fantastic pro line up full of creative personalities that produce great work when left alone to just get on with their jobs without all the gimmicks etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I also wonder what will happen to Katya next year - consistent bad luck there. I wonder if part of her might want to pack it in now.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I’ve been busy today, got home and found out Nigel is out of Strictly. I’m absolutely gutted about it. I love Nigel, and I love his partnership with Katya. I think their Charleston would have been brilliant. I‘m sure we will learn more about his injury in the show, him and Katya must be devastated to leave this way :(

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I think the main thing they need to learn is more contingency planning. I don't know how they stop someone doing the show if they insist on doing it and are physically fine. Nigel is very fit, and it's bad luck he got injured. Angela, at 79, was fine. Nobody could have predicted Fanny Rat would be a dick to Amanda (except us)

Reactions: 7
That’s the thing, because they still had an elimination that week I can’t help but think it’s ties their hands a bit. Whomever went out after Amanda left could easy say another week with a dance that suited them better could have changed the outcome. I can’t remember who it was tbf so that might not be the case but I just think it’ll look bad to change the ‘rules’ at the quarter final stage.

ETA - it was Zara and Graziano so if it hadn’t been that week it would have probably been the next anyway
I do agree but this also means they expect the final two to be doing potentially more routines in the final week. Talk about breaking them even if it the final week.

It will be a dire final with just two left in the competition . I presume we will be left with Layton and Ellie as finalists. As good as Layton is I just don’t see him being the winner . Joe Public likes someone who doesn’t have professional dance experience .

Reactions: 6
I also wonder what will happen to Katya next year - consistent bad luck there. I wonder if part of her might want to pack it in now.
Personally I hope it’s the start of a better run of partners for her. She has shone more than ever this series, I don’t think she will leave just yet.

Reactions: 16
I think the show was rather glad to shuffle off Jody and Adam before they ended up with another withdrawal.
Jody at the very least could have been given a simpler dance than a Salsa, they have changed dances at last minute in the past.

I think in future they really need to take a really hard look at the physical and mental fitness of the celebs rather than get excited over booking someone. Amanda seemed rather fragile right from the off and it just seemed way too soon after a major life changing event for her to be really doing strictly. And Adam had only recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and was still getting to grips with it.
The celebs don't always know what they are letting themselves in for in terms of the intensity of the strictly bubble and how it will dominate their lives for months on end but TPTB are fully aware and have a duty of care not to take advantage of people.
I think Jody had the salsa with lifts on a prosthetic leg with a poorly stump for a reason and Adam the Ugo rhumba of ‘out the door’ … apart from the fact he looked like he could barely stand unaided let alone jig about … a way to solve their medical issues without having to pull out.

i think they need to look at the dance order and take anything with lifts out for at least the first 4 or 6 weeks (Amanda damaged her ribs in the first dance with lifts and struggled regardless of anything else), tell them they don’t have to train from sun up to sun down and put boundaries in place so that the pros aren’t getting phone calls in the middle of the night from someone stressing about a flekerl.

Reactions: 17
How would it spoil the results?

i think they mean that essentially the bottom 2 of a three person semi-final would almost certainly be the dance-off, so the audience would know the result (in knowing what the dance off would be) once the credits were rolling really. it’s just a poorly worded tweet.

Reactions: 10
How would it spoil the results?

:unsure: why would the dance off spoil the results?
---
i think they mean that essentially the bottom 2 of a three person semi-final would almost certainly be the dance-off, so the audience would know the result once the credits were rolling really.
Ahhhhh I see 😲 that's a good point

Reactions: 2
i think they mean that essentially the bottom 2 of a three person semi-final would almost certainly be the dance-off, so the audience would know the result (in knowing what the dance off would be) once the credits were rolling really. it’s just a poorly worded tweet.
Makes sense, but that’s the case a lot of the time when you look at the leaderboard after the Saturday night show. It was just the wording that confused me 😂

Reactions: 1
Makes sense, but that’s the case a lot of the time when you look at the leaderboard after the Saturday night show. It was just the wording that confused me 😂
experienced strictly viewers can definitely work it out 🤣 having three people just makes it REALLY obvious i think, which is probably what they want to avoid.

Reactions: 1
I think Jody had the salsa with lifts on a prosthetic leg with a poorly stump for a reason and Adam the Ugo rhumba of ‘out the door’ … apart from the fact he looked like he could barely stand unaided let alone jig about … a way to solve their medical issues without having to pull out.

i think they need to look at the dance order and take anything with lifts out for at least the first 4 or 6 weeks (Amanda damaged her ribs in the first dance with lifts and struggled regardless of anything else), tell them they don’t have to train from sun up to sun down and put boundaries in place so that the pros aren’t getting phone calls in the middle of the night from someone stressing about a flekerl.
They certainly need to look at how they manage early leavers in the initial weeks - injuries can’t be helped. Just adding numbers doest solve this type of issue occurring.

I also think it would beneficial to take a look at the elimination process - either by bringing back the person who left the week earlier or not having an elimination on one week but then having two a week later. This works with other shows so why can’t it work with strictly?

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.