Strictly Come Dancing 2020

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Long time lurker here, thought i'd join before the start of the new series to give my thoughts!

I kind of agree with a lot of the comments here about Amy. I was looking forward to seeing her with a good dancer last year after that whole thing with Danny John Jules, but I found it a bit uncomfortable watching her a lot of the time - just really full on desperate to get to the final and she was really mean to karim in some of the training VTs.

I quite like that some of the pros are quieter, so I'm going to miss Nadiya this year as she's such a great dancer to watch. But thank god Neil is benched and Gorka is back where he belongs

I like Oti and think she's a great choreographer, but I do think it's in danger of becoming The Oti Show sometimes. I I really wouldn't mind if Dianne went out early again - I liked her to begin with but now find her increasingly cringy and infantile

Anton is Anton. He will never leave

Reactions: 6
She is a great dancer and choreographer and I'm glad she finally did win but there is a degree of hubris there, possibly partly because the BBC have basically made her the face of the show and have given her many other gigs outside it in the off-season. Part of me would be interested to see how she would react to getting someone like a 65 year old newsreader as she strikes me as very determined and not a good fit for a celeb that won't train that hard.
As far as I can remember (and don’t take this as gospel as I have a terrible memory!) but the winner has always got someone the following year they realistically had no chance of winning with. Take Pasha - he was my favourite - won with Caroline Flack in 2014 and in 2015, was paired with Carol Kirkwood who was by no means the worst but they finished tenth.

If Oti was to be paired with someone with a real chance, then it would be so blatant that she was being favoured, imo.

Reactions: 2
I love Dianne, great dancer, choreographer and performer. She also has an incredible work ethic and is unapologetically herself.

Reactions: 9
As far as I can remember (and don’t take this as gospel as I have a terrible memory!) but the winner has always got someone the following year they realistically had no chance of winning with. Take Pasha - he was my favourite - won with Caroline Flack in 2014 and in 2015, was paired with Carol Kirkwood who was by no means the worst but they finished tenth.

If Oti was to be paired with someone with a real chance, then it would be so blatant that she was being favoured, imo.
You're right the winner usually does get someone not so good the year after but whos to say in 2021 she may get another good one.

Reactions: 1

Yeah, Oti said as much on that Packed Lunch show last week, one year you're the winner and the next year you're out early. It doesn't seem like she's expecting to get Jamie again this year.

I like all of the pros to varying degrees, but I do agree with a lot of what has been said about them. Anton is part of the Strictly furniture, but he does tend to look like the Dad of all the other pros during the group dances :LOL: Amy did come across a bit desperate last year, and I thought her and Karim looked a bit awkward together in some dances (their Argentine Tango comes to mind). It's a shame for Nadiya, her American Smooth with Davood was one of my favourite dances in 2017, but she does tend to get lost amongst all the big personalities.

Thoughts on Katya? There were times last series when I wondered if she was having a nervous breakdown; maybe she still feels like she's on the naughty step after the Seann debacle. I wouldn't mind her being partnered with Nicola this year, I usually like her choreography, and it would be good for her to have someone with potential after Mike was dragged through multiple dance-offs last year 😬

Reactions: 4
Thoughts on Katya? There were times last series when I wondered if she was having a nervous breakdown; maybe she still feels like she's on the naughty step after the Seann debacle. I wouldn't mind her being partnered with Nicola this year, I usually like her choreography, and it would be good for her to have someone with potential after Mike was dragged through multiple dance-offs last year 😬
I love Katya as a pro! She's always been a bit mad so I didn't really think that her choreo last year was unexpected. She did the right thing with Mike - without her choreo, I doubt he'd have made Week 8. She is a bit OTT but knows how to get her partners the votes to stay in and also probably got Joe McFadden the win 3 years ago. I hope she's taken a bit of down time during the off-season to recharge her batteries as she probably was having a bit of a rocky time last year after her divorce from Nell de Jaunse.

She's had 3 duffers in 4 years so I think she's well overdue someone good, I suggest HRVY for her as he's too young for the press to start rumours but equally has a lot of dance experience so could be a chance for her to go full throttle with the choreo.

I love Dianne, great dancer, choreographer and performer. She also has an incredible work ethic and is unapologetically herself.
Dianne's lovely, I think anyone would be happy having her as a partner as everyone seems to get along with her. She'd probably be my favourite if it wasn't for Joe Sugg, I just can't with him.

I kind of agree with a lot of the comments here about Amy. I was looking forward to seeing her with a good dancer last year after that whole thing with Danny John Jules, but I found it a bit uncomfortable watching her a lot of the time - just really full on desperate to get to the final and she was really mean to karim in some of the training VTs.
I dont' remember her being mean to Karim, but she wasn't exactly patient when teaching Brian Conley - that was only her first series and I already found her methods of teaching very off-putting:

I really hope that she doesn't get HRVY - I've seen a couple of people who want that pairing - it would just be a rehash of Karim and the frantic routines/desperation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I like Katya, I think her choreography is one the best out of the pro's, hopefully she can get someone whos in with a chance of the final, maybe she might get Nicola!

I love Dianne she has a really warm personality and I think her choreography is one of the best; I don't think Joe would have got as far if it wasn't for her persistence with him and her choreography. I think they make a lovely couple as well :love:

I think Amy may get JJ; I hope she doesn't get Max or HRVY or Nicola.

I really enjoyed watching Katya... she’s got good energy and seems to always really trust her partners. Gangnam Style with Ed balls will always be iconic. I do hope she gets someone younger this year and gets a decent run. I think the divorce potentially hit her quite badly(thinking they’d worked through the Sean issue) and then seeing Neil parading around with Luisa the way he does must really sting.

Another pro who seems to always get good partners is Giovanni and I think it’s definitely time he got someone much older (I know Debbie was older but she was in incredible shape for her age) who isn’t necessarily as agile so maybe Caroline Q??

Reactions: 5
I really enjoyed watching Katya... she’s got good energy and seems to always really trust her partners. Gangnam Style with Ed balls will always be iconic. I do hope she gets someone younger this year and gets a decent run. I think the divorce potentially hit her quite badly(thinking they’d worked through the Sean issue) and then seeing Neil parading around with Luisa the way he does must really sting.

Another pro who seems to always get good partners is Giovanni and I think it’s definitely time he got someone much older (I know Debbie was older but she was in incredible shape for her age) who isn’t necessarily as agile so maybe Caroline Q??
Yeah its about time that Giovanni got a complete duffer for a change!

He's actually had as many older women as young ones, it's just that they've had dance experience. I'd say Ranvir Singh for him, I get the impression that she might struggle a bit plus there are other logistics involved there as she lives with family while he is single which makes the "bubble" concept easier.

Caroline might be quite good, doesn't she have some experience?

Reactions: 2
I love Katya as a pro! She's always been a bit mad so I didn't really think that her choreo last year was unexpected. She did the right thing with Mike - without her choreo, I doubt he'd have made Week 8. She is a bit OTT but knows how to get her partners the votes to stay in and also probably got Joe McFadden the win 3 years ago. I hope she's taken a bit of down time during the off-season to recharge her batteries as she probably was having a bit of a rocky time last year after her divorce from Nell de Jaunse.
I've seen lots of people mentioning they love Katya's choreography & her memorable routines. Do people not realise that Neil choreographed alot of Katya's routines. So all the Ed Balls routines, Joe McFadden's routines & then Seann Walshes routines up until Halloween week were all choreographed by Neil. Katya is a great teacher, probably the best teacher of all the pros, but Neil was the creative mind behind the dances. It's the same with Giovanni, he's a great teacher, but Luba choreographs alot of his routines.

Neil gets on my nerves, he is so desperate to be famous & really cringey, but he is the best choreographer out of all the pros. He choreographed a number of Michael & Jowita's dances on TGD, he choreographed all of his & Katya Latin show dances which won them the world title twice, he also choreographed his old troop Kings & Queens for BGT like 10 years ago. It's likely he isn't getting a partner this year because he is wanted to help with the choreography for Nicola & Strictly's first same sex partnership. Strictly won't want this to end up a joke like with H on DoI & they will want Nicola to have iconic memorable routines, which Neil is known for creating.

Reactions: 7
If Neil was truly responsible for all of Katya's routines - why were his routines dull as dishwater last year whilst Katya's routines with Mike continued the trend of being fairly out of the box and wacky? It doesn't add up to me at all and the idea generally riles me up as it implies that she wasn't capable of doing a good job without her (now ex) husband. Not targeting that at you but I saw lots of comments over on Digital Spy that screamed misogyny based on the way they were talking about Katya "no longer having Neil's help".

Neil was probably dropped for his social media behaviour if anything.

If Neil was truly responsible for all of Katya's routines - why were his routines dull as dishwater last year whilst Katya's routines with Mike continued the trend of being fairly out of the box and wacky? It doesn't add up to me at all and the idea generally riles me up as it implies that she wasn't capable of doing a good job without her (now ex) husband. Not targeting that at you but I saw lots of comments over on Digital Spy that screamed misogyny based on the way they were talking about Katya "no longer having Neil's help".

Neil was probably dropped for his social media behaviour if anything.
I believe it was James Jordan or Brendan Cole who said it was Neil behind the routines a few years ago.
As I said Katya did well with Mike because she is an excellent teacher & can get the best out of the celeb no matter what their dance experience is, but her routines last year weren't nearly as well put together or as memorable. Neil is an excellent choreographer for trained dancers, but Alex wasn't a natural dancer & Neil isn't a great teacher, so he couldn't do the routines he wanted or why they fell flat.

Has Janette ever got a duffer? She always seems to get someone with a bit of ability but because of her poor choreography, always squandered the chances. Personally I'm looking forward to someone other than her, Giovanni and Oti constantly being given the best dancers. I used to really like Oti but since she won she's become pretty unbearable and think in this series she could be hard to watch.

Does anyone find it weird she won't automatically get Jamie this time, especially as they were pitched as being good last series. She couldn't have made it more clear she wasn't bothered he was injured last year so it wouldn't surprise me if he asked for anyone but her.

Has Janette ever got a duffer? She always seems to get someone with a bit of ability but because of her poor choreography, always squandered the chances.
She got Julien Macdonald in her first series, although she doesnt seem to get 100% in terms of skill she seems like a fun person to be partnered with. Saying that it probably helps with the celeb too, I never really warmed to Karen but after she was paired with Chris last year i grew to like her a lot more as she seemed to show a different side

She got Julien Macdonald in her first series, although she doesnt seem to get 100% in terms of skill she seems like a fun person to be partnered with. Saying that it probably helps with the celeb too, I never really warmed to Karen but after she was paired with Chris last year i grew to like her a lot more as she seemed to show a different side
I was exactly the same about Karen. It wasn't until last year I realised how crazy she actually is and it really made me question the whole her / Kevin split

Has Janette ever got a duffer? She always seems to get someone with a bit of ability but because of her poor choreography, always squandered the chances. Personally I'm looking forward to someone other than her, Giovanni and Oti constantly being given the best dancers. I used to really like Oti but since she won she's become pretty unbearable and think in this series she could be hard to watch.
Janette's only duffer was Julien Macdonald but I think height has played into that. She gets all the short guys - Peter Andre, Julien, Melvin, Aston, Dr. Ranj and Will. Jake was her only semi-tall one. The one time that there was a duffer short enough for her was the year that Katya was put with him instead because of the prior year's events and I also have a feeling that Will asked to get her. I suppose that neither Dr. Ranj or Will were with a chance of winning though so I wouldn't say she aways gets the best, it's more her luck to have avoided the old guys.

Oti doesn't seem to be expecting Jamie based on recent interviews - I think she's implying that they've given her Bill Bailey. I wonder what she thinks about that! Suddenly not with a athlete (either current or recently retired) or soap hunk, I wonder if she'll do good like Katya & Karen with the duds or be an Aliona and sulk through it.

I do think that the power has went to Oti's head. Whilst she is a talented dancer, the BBC were probably jumping for joy when she became popular in the Danny Mac series and since then have tried to promote her like they did with Kevin Clifton. Overexposure never works, it bores the viewer and feeds the ego of the person.

Reactions: 6
Janette's only duffer was Julien Macdonald but I think height has played into that. She gets all the short guys - Peter Andre, Julien, Melvin, Aston, Dr. Ranj and Will. Jake was her only semi-tall one. The one time that there was a duffer short enough for her was the year that Katya was put with him instead because of the prior year's events and I also have a feeling that Will asked to get her. I suppose that neither Dr. Ranj or Will were with a chance of winning though so I wouldn't say she aways gets the best, it's more her luck to have avoided the old guys.

Oti doesn't seem to be expecting Jamie based on recent interviews - I think she's implying that they've given her Bill Bailey. I wonder what she thinks about that! Suddenly not with a athlete (either current or recently retired) or soap hunk, I wonder if she'll do good like Katya & Karen with the duds or be an Aliona and sulk through it.
From the fact Oti is already hinting at this so vocally on tv, I suspect she's absolutely furious and is probably pretty unbearable to be around.

I'm curious to see Johannes this year. I personally really like him but wasn't massively impressed last year with his choreography so am curious to see what he's like this year.

Does anyone know when they're filming the partnering up show?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.