Sophie Shohet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really love Sophie, I've watched her for years.

While we have completely different styles, and like mostly different things style wise, I do watch her mainly for luxury research / to see what's in designer stores atm / inspo purposes, as she's always honest and gives great advice about the items, and doesn't seem to just follow the hype (which, i don't think she cares about).

She's really well spoken too and generally comes across really genuine and caring, despite her wealth etc. She's someone I genuinely feel like you could sit down and have a chat with, that would be lovely and not stuck up or judgmental just because she has more money.

I really hope she continues making videos, she truly is a welcome change from the instathots / young youtubers who think their tit don't stink.

Reactions: 14
One of the things that sets Sophie apart is she has a real job, youtube isn’t her main source of income. It just makes for more well rounded content. And she clearly is successful so I can’t see her giving up her day job, thankfully. All gurus jump the shark when they move to you tube full time.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
One of the things that sets Sophie apart is she has a real job, youtube isn’t her main source of income. It just makes for more well rounded content. And she clearly is successful so I can’t see her giving up her day job, thankfully. All gurus jump the shark when they move to you tube full time.
She has a job, but it's also closely tied to YouTube. The company website is so strange... it says it was "founded by a fashion blogger and ex-agency Head of Digital" but never mentions Sophie's name. Anyways, I think she'll always be on YouTube because it helps her business by showing her as a legitimate businessperson with knowledge of the YT world.

She runs a company with her husband that helps manage influencers and small businesses with digital marketing. They filed assets of over £500,000 in 2019, so good for them!

Also her style is sooooo logo-heavy, I can't relate.

Reactions: 9
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more action. The one on the other site had lots more comments.

Whilst I agree with the Sophie love to some degree- certainly in comparison to other influencers in the same category- she is not without problems.

For one thing, she's never been upfront about the fact that she came from money and married into money. She has a lot of clickbait-y videos about getting out of debt, but the truth is, whatever incremental debt she accrued in her early twenties was easily wiped off by the rich husband and/or family. 🤷‍♀️
Not to mention, her videos about going from 'receptionist to director' are pure b.s. She started as an advertising executive on a good wage and even says so in most of her videos. She was never anything beneath that level and to exaggerate her "humble" beginnings just to draw more views is unnecessary. She would seem just as successful if she didn't try to make her present day success sound extreme, because it wasn't.

There is also the issue with her constant consumerism and reselling mentality. In itself, the pattern is not that bad (apart from the fact that it contradicts her advice videos on not getting into debt and it really is excessive which is crappy for the environment), but I take real issue when she sells on her PR gifts at near retail price (such as the red Gucci belt bag she sold last year or the year before). That's when you begin to see that her ethics are a bit questionable. It leaves a particularly bad taste that she resells gifted products (at near retail, especially) when she's already well off and doesn't need to be so greedy. She could use those gifts to raise money for a cause but has never done so.

Normally I wouldn't touch on how nouveau riche her over-the-top her style is, but it's in particularly bad taste that she's indulging in, promoting and recommending really expensive designer goods via her hauls during the pandemic. Most people were on furlough or just lost their jobs, many were ill with covid or lost family to covid, so for her to flaunt Chanel, Dior, Fendi, etc. during these rough times was a bit tactless. She could have put out more helpful content about dealing with anxiety during these times, ways she's filling her days, or even advice on how to start your own business for those who recently became unemployed. Instead it was Harrods every time she left the house or a massive online haul, when most of her viewers would have been wondering how to feed their families or whether they'd be unemployed the next week.
I understand escapism and light content to distract viewers from these stressful times, but she really has been laying it on thick!

Finally, her mail times once felt charming but now I can see that it's a very clever marketing tactic. She gets people feeling invested in her and her channel, guarantees they will return and watch in order to see their name shouted out and get their 15 seconds of 'fame' (and some use it to promote their personal business). Those who don't get their letters in this time will keep trying to get her attention, thereby keep watching to hear until they get their shout out, and often buy her gifts to ensure they get featured. <- Speaking of which, I feel SO uncomfortable with the fact that she accepts gifts from subscribers (in spite of half-heartedly claiming she doesn't want gifts). She can afford to purchase her own *everything* yet she slyly encourages people to send her things by showcasing them in her videos. It's a bit off.

Having said all of that, she regularly does giveaways (to increase her engagement, but nonetheless) which are greatly appreciated by her followers, I'm sure.
She also clearly discloses all adverts and always has done (she'd have to or her own private company would appear shady to potential and existing clients).
Also, unlike many others, she's very upfront about her botox and fillers. I personally thought she looked stunning before she started injecting, but to each their own.
And I think she has a very healthy balance in her life; her relationship with her husband appears sincerely loving and respectful, she has a life outside of YT/work but keeps her friends and family out of her channel out of respect, she has other hobbies (jewelry making) and she seems to have built some real rapport with her longstanding subscribers which is endearing.
I also loved her honesty around her cancer and anorexia. I really commend her for that because it's brave to be that open about those topics.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Did anyone watch her latest video with the birthday haul? I’ve watched her for years and think she seems like a sweet enough person but I think she’s a bit tone deaf with some of her videos. Grown adults doing birthday haul videos has never sat right with me

I also don’t undertstand a lot of the things she buys, either very frumpy, unstylish or repetitive (example - buying 2 scarves, one a Dior monogram that’s trendy / tacky and an awful Chanel one in her latest video) but she buys a lot of designer that is ugly. Like those Dior bar jackets she has so many of and they look so frumpy on her! In the recent Harrods outlet vlog you could see her outfit and she was wearing the fugliest shoes I have ever seen, I can’t with her style

I also can’t stand the sponsored luisaviaroma videos where she buys pointless small leather good designer pieces like those basic ysl cross body bags or senreve of aspinal crap

Reactions: 4
I think she has terrible taste but I still like her haha. I like her dynamic with David, they seem to have a sweet relationship and get on well. At least Sophie does things her own way and doesn’t just copy cat. It’s refreshing to see an adult woman with her own taste, even if it’s not my own

Reactions: 16
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more action. The one on the other site had lots more comments.

Whilst I agree with the Sophie love to some degree- certainly in comparison to other influencers in the same category- she is not without problems.

For one thing, she's never been upfront about the fact that she came from money and married into money. She has a lot of clickbait-y videos about getting out of debt, but the truth is, whatever incremental debt she accrued in her early twenties was easily wiped off by the rich husband and/or family. 🤷‍♀️
Not to mention, her videos about going from 'receptionist to director' are pure b.s. She started as an advertising executive on a good wage and even says so in most of her videos. She was never anything beneath that level and to exaggerate her "humble" beginnings just to draw more views is unnecessary. She would seem just as successful if she didn't try to make her present day success sound extreme, because it wasn't.

There is also the issue with her constant consumerism and reselling mentality. In itself, the pattern is not that bad (apart from the fact that it contradicts her advice videos on not getting into debt and it really is excessive which is crappy for the environment), but I take real issue when she sells on her PR gifts at near retail price (such as the red Gucci belt bag she sold last year or the year before). That's when you begin to see that her ethics are a bit questionable. It leaves a particularly bad taste that she resells gifted products (at near retail, especially) when she's already well off and doesn't need to be so greedy. She could use those gifts to raise money for a cause but has never done so.

Normally I wouldn't touch on how nouveau riche her over-the-top her style is, but it's in particularly bad taste that she's indulging in, promoting and recommending really expensive designer goods via her hauls during the pandemic. Most people were on furlough or just lost their jobs, many were ill with covid or lost family to covid, so for her to flaunt Chanel, Dior, Fendi, etc. during these rough times was a bit tactless. She could have put out more helpful content about dealing with anxiety during these times, ways she's filling her days, or even advice on how to start your own business for those who recently became unemployed. Instead it was Harrods every time she left the house or a massive online haul, when most of her viewers would have been wondering how to feed their families or whether they'd be unemployed the next week.
I understand escapism and light content to distract viewers from these stressful times, but she really has been laying it on thick!

Finally, her mail times once felt charming but now I can see that it's a very clever marketing tactic. She gets people feeling invested in her and her channel, guarantees they will return and watch in order to see their name shouted out and get their 15 seconds of 'fame' (and some use it to promote their personal business). Those who don't get their letters in this time will keep trying to get her attention, thereby keep watching to hear until they get their shout out, and often buy her gifts to ensure they get featured. <- Speaking of which, I feel SO uncomfortable with the fact that she accepts gifts from subscribers (in spite of half-heartedly claiming she doesn't want gifts). She can afford to purchase her own *everything* yet she slyly encourages people to send her things by showcasing them in her videos. It's a bit off.

Having said all of that, she regularly does giveaways (to increase her engagement, but nonetheless) which are greatly appreciated by her followers, I'm sure.
She also clearly discloses all adverts and always has done (she'd have to or her own private company would appear shady to potential and existing clients).
Also, unlike many others, she's very upfront about her botox and fillers. I personally thought she looked stunning before she started injecting, but to each their own.
And I think she has a very healthy balance in her life; her relationship with her husband appears sincerely loving and respectful, she has a life outside of YT/work but keeps her friends and family out of her channel out of respect, she has other hobbies (jewelry making) and she seems to have built some real rapport with her longstanding subscribers which is endearing.
I also loved her honesty around her cancer and anorexia. I really commend her for that because it's brave to be that open about those topics.
I think it's entirely fair that she's not everyone's cup of tea. But I also think the issues you point out with over-consumption of luxury goods is true of every single YouTuber who ends up with a thread on Tattle, and plenty who don't. Mel in Melbourne for instance just did a video with what looked like $8K worth of Hermes horse charms on the tree behind her. I stopped the video to count them and do the math and then I sat there with my jaw hanging open. LOL. It's not how the rank and file live.

I think there's a real problem that buying such overpriced, label-heavy stuff is considered "success" for so many people. I'm not really expecting SS to change what she enjoys, and if she enjoys buying bags then it doesn't bother me, except in the way that rampant consumerism bothers me in general. Like I think we should probably all stop participating in the madness. But at the same time, I can't blame someone who wants a Chanel bag because they just love the way it looks, you know? I go back and forth. Watching any of these videos puts my spending in perspective, but I've realized it's also warped my perception a little bit, and I've been kind of backing away from it and trying to get grounded again.

From my point of view the big difference with SS is that she's spending her own money on that stuff (so is Mel for that matter), and the Josies and Lydias are being handed things right and left, lying about having bought the stuff, and then expecting more, and they are extremely ungracious about it and lash out at the mildest criticism. Sophie really seems to have her own taste (and it's not my taste at all) and she's especially been critical about the Chanel price increases, saying it's not a good value. She does a lot of videos on how to get things on sale, buy an entry-level luxury item, and again while I think luxury is a weird and problematic thing, some people love it and may find her advice useful. She has yet to acquire a single Hermes, which tells me she's not trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I think the letter-sharing is in earnest, but again that's just my perception.

(And I'm not shocked if she came from money! hahaha. Usually the old guard aren't so label-obsessed though.)

Not disagreeing with you at all, just kind of thinking through why I like SS but cannot stand some of the others...

Reactions: 12
Hi, long time lurker here!
I have been watching Sophie for quite a long time. Generally speaking, I like her, especially if compared to other and more popular influencers: she’s more honest and less tone deaf.
However, her sense of style is debatable, which just proves that just because people have money, doesn’t necessarily mean they have good taste in things. Finally, and that’s only a pet peeve of mine, I have the impression she is not aware of her body type and size, because she keeps buying expensive pieces that do nothing to enhance her figure, which is a shame. This might have something to do with her ED (which I do not condemn or judge her for, I am happy she healed), but I wish she would start buying things her size instead of squeezing herself in tiny things, or hiding herself in loose and ill fitting clothes, just because they are designer.
Edited to add: I noticed that she also has a problem with dressing her own age, some clothes are a bit too frilly or short. I mean, it’s her choice, but it does not look appropriate, nor classy

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Yes agree, Her style is totally all over the place - she either looks extremely frumpy or like she’s trying to dress young which isn’t to say she’s old at all but if she wore nicer outfits you wouldn’t look at her and say she was dressing for an ‘age’ you’d just think she looked good/stylish. I’d never noticed her buying too small clothes but now that I think about it, it’s true - like those pre owned Chanel and Alaia skirts she purchased were tiny and from the side she really spent a bit of time showing off her wait but the pieces were not that nice or flattering to her shape

Reactions: 5
Oh Sophie. She's so nice but her fashion taste is so hit and miss. I generally like her videos, just as a little chatter while I put make up on or do a bit of cleaning/ironing, I like that she always sounds quite positive. But this shopping haul
The jumper is great, so is the skirt and the trousers.
Trainers? Burn them, hun. Or return if there's still time. They look like slippers. Maybe they'd look on a fashionable eccentric 😱 elderly lady who also appreciates comfort but not on a young gorgeous lady like you.
s1.png

s2.png

s3.png

s4.png

Also, she was so excited about that jacket that she got from Farfetch yet it turned out awful. Why even include it in a video?

s5-1.png

s5.png

Reactions: 1
Her Dior obsession is getting to me.... there are other designers out there? In her new video I knew it was going to be Dior before i watched it haha

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Her Dior obsession is getting to me.... there are other designers out there? In her new video I knew it was going to be Dior before i watched it haha
She always compares everything to Dior too. Should rename the channel to "Dior and me"

• Haha
The last video she was complaining about Bottega Veneta being expensive for bags, but her Lady Dior was around the same price?!

The last video she was complaining about Bottega Veneta being expensive for bags, but her Lady Dior was around the same price?!
I think, for Sophie, there's Dior and Chanel (although, she's going off Chanel a bit), and then there's everyone else. A brand, which is not Dior or Chanel, is not allowed to be as expensive. :rolleyes:

won't buy bottega bags because of longevity but will spend 635 pounds on these monstrosities. lord help us.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 3.33.22 PM.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
My opinion of SS is that she has come from quite a privileged but hard working background. She's at ease with dropping a grand here and there, while I might be able to afford the occasional luxury, I still struggle to justify it.
I think she gives good honest advice regarding luxury brands but the more she buys the more vulgar it looks? I think there are amazing premium brands out there that are more cutting edge and far better value for money. She should mix it up a bit more.
Also her post from subscribers are becoming creepy. Fortunately, you can just fast-forward that part.

I thought I remembered her saying she didn't come a wealthy background, just an average one.

And in regards to her job, when she's mentioned starting at the bottom I think she's referring to the role she worked in as a student.

I really like her, she is so eloquent. 99% of the influencers need to take speaking lesson from her

Reactions: 6
I really like her, she is so eloquent. 99% of the influencers need to take speaking lesson from her
She is but she's doing all the same content on repeat. I have noticed not watching her videos straight away these days. They sit in my subscription box until I watch everything else and only then I might have her on in the background while doing my makeup or something.