Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
So many lovely and useful tips so far! THANK YOU everyone! I've pretty much decided on Italy. Now have to choose when and where...

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Notworthy

VIP Member
This thread is making me want to book a holiday . I am thinking of Ibiza in October but I think the prices that are putting me off
Me too, I'm thinking of a rail trip round Italy now, just making it up as I go along, if I like somewhere I'll stay a few days, if not I'll move on. Probably won't happen this year as I'm job hunting but next year I'll defo plan something either early May or early September

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
I have 2 weeks off in June, solo holiday needs booking today. Need somewhere in the med, hot, sunny, beaches, affordable but with history and culture as well. Any ideas?
Valencia is great in June, they also their national day on the 23rd

Sprezza

VIP Member
Having a lovely solo time in Bologna 😊 Did want to explore further like Ravenna, Ferrara etc. but it's just too hot 😅 and I'm really only going out in the mornings so just not enough time to do everything! Will have to save it for another trip!

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Valencia is great in June, they also their national day on the 23rd
valencia is a great shout! beautiful, with so much to see and, like you say, amazing in june.

also hugely enjoyed seville (also in june): again a lot of history to see but also lots of opportunities to chill out (and great food).

Notworthy

VIP Member
a few summers ago I travelled around Italy on my own, i did a mix of hostels/airbnbs. The airbnbs I stayed mostly with locals of a similar age to me, which was great bc they were really up for showing me around etc, I've kept in contact with most of them and have seen them since! If you do a city trip i would recommend booking some free walking tours and planning things to do, therefore you won't feel too lonely and you'll be busy.
I've been many other places on my own too and I honestly find it v liberating (but a bit scary at first). I think once you do it, you'll never travel the same again and you'll be thankful for doing it! 💚
Exactly right. Not quite the same but 3 years ago I got a last minute tix to Wimbledon, after years of taking a bunch of kids with me and having to stay in my seat while they trotted around the grounds, it really was liberating to go there on my own, map out who I wanted to watch and drink myself silly

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
I agree with you and what @littlepup says below. My OH doesn't want to go on holiday, but also doesn't want me to go by myself. So I've told him I'm going to go on a hiking holiday. This is not strictly true, but he might complain a bit less. I went on a holiday he didn't agree with once before (I met up with a friend once I got there so wasn't alone for the whole time, just the travelling which I've done a lot before). We had a row about that, and he never wants to hear anything about it or see any photos. It's because he feels he missed out. But that's his problem, not mine - and I won't let him persuade me out of doing what I want. Someone on here said if we wait for other people to agree with us on everything, we'll never get to do what we want.
honestly i know this is not the point of the thread but something like this would make me recobsider the relationship tbh. he cannot complain about missing out when te has chosen not to go, and have you considered how he Will react if he realises you lied about going hiking?

Roobarb

In respect of alcohol, if I am on my own I will only ever have 1 or 2 drinks. I only get 'merry' around people I know and trust. You have to be responsible.

Reactions: 3

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Ideally a city break, or a resort break with choices to go on trips. I can't just lay by a pool all day, I'd get bored. I like museums, sightseeing, hiking, and eating! Been thinking about a walking holiday in Italy or a similar thing in Portugal. Somewhere I can take amazing photographs (not of myself!) of scenery or architecture. Could I be any more vague😂
I watch a girl on You Tube who does solo holidays and gives you tips on where she goes. I remember her doing a trip with a guide, I think it was somewhere dangerous so you needed a good guide. 😁. The thing is she's only 4 foot 11 and used to like wearing dainty dresses. Now she's massively into gardening. Here's a link

Might give you some inspo. I don't really know of anyone else who solo travels that I can recommend.
Click on the playlist logo next to the title to get the list of places and Q and A's.

• Heart
I once travelled to New Orleans with an ex and we had a fight and he left for Washington. I was on my own in New Orleans. I did my own bar crawl and watched the street parades, spoke to so many people, lots of live music etc. I ended up in a gay bar (if I was going to be safe anywhere, it would be in a bar where the men have absolutely no interest in me), watching a drag queen show and stayed out until 4am drinking with the regulars and the acts themselves. I had such a great time there but you need to be alert wherever you go! Especially where alcohol is involved too.
I love this! It's the kind of thing I'd have done in my 20s but I'm 40 now (don't know how that happened... I don't feel 40!) & I can't drink much without wanting to go to sleep😂

i did a solo round the world trip through 19 countries. New Zealand, Oz, europe and asia. Also have done solo road trips around America and Canada.

spain is really easy. Madrid, Barcelona or even San Sebastián. I stayed in some hostels and with friends at the time but could do air bnb with a local host with good reviews. Do some organized day trips and then explore alone. Can join some Facebook groups to find female locals or get tips.

just saw this and am on phone but can answer more questions if you like.
Barcelona is great isn't it - I went there during La Merce one year, it was fabulously mental.

I'm currently thinking I will go somewhere in Italy. Outside of this chat some work people have suggested various options that sound a)safe b)beautiful and c)full of food, and as I'm not ready to go outside of Europe yet, I think that's what I'll do. Obvs now we have all the airport nightmares here in the UK so I'm not going to book anything until that mess looks like it's over...

Last edited:

littlepup

VIP Member
I always go on holiday alone, but always in Europe. Do you have any advice for trips like that in Asia? I would love to go and as independent as I am I am still terrified to do so
I feel safer in Thailand than I feel in London. given I stick to The tourist areas-ish you might expect that, but really, if you know the tricks you'll be fine. I've spent months there (over years) but I even started to fall for one last time, the old, "the train is cancelled, ill help you find a taxi" one do you have any specific questions? I wish you could PM on here!
Bali was creepy, Vietnam less so, Laos - safe... in my experience. Thailand wins out

• Heart

SaintLeo

VIP Member
If anyone’s nervous about travelling alone but still wants to get away I’d definitely suggest looking at group holidays with people like Intrepid or WeRoad. Takes away the stress of having to organise everything yourself and also great way to meet new people. I did an Intrepid trip last year as a solo traveller and it was a fantastic experience. Was a bit wary about sharing a room with a stranger but glad I did as it gave us both someone to connect with straight away. I’m just gutted I didn’t do it sooner but have a list of places I will be ticking off my to visit list as soon as I work out how I’m going to pay for it all!

emm

VIP Member
Booked 3 nights in Milan - been before but plan to do day trips to Turin and Verona, or maybe Varenna for a swim in Lake Como. And then getting the train to the coast near Portofino and staying for 7 nights there for walking/swimming/sunning. So that's 10 nights in total x
Milan is very nice and actually underrated, be sure to go to the navigli area for aperitivo in the evening! Turin is also very nice but I went so long ago I have no advice. Enjoy!

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
I don't know where you're going exactly but most big cities have free walking tours that are good to meet other people if you want. I would also say if you go for coffee/drinks etc always sit at the bar, you can get chatting to other people there, the bartenders etc. It is aasy to meet people if you don't want to just spend time alone

Ahh I'm so happy to find this thread! I have my first solo trip to Italy booked in July and I'm really considering cancelling it tbh- worried about the stress of finding my way around, being bored alone as well as just being too hot! Plus my mum keeps saying she wishes I wasn't going and that she's really worried :rolleyes:

But I know it would be really good for my confidence and I don't know when I'll get another chance to go to Italy since trying to arrange holidays with other people has proven to be impossible! I've gone for self-catering since I don't want the pressure of having to eat out in restaurants- I've done this at lunch time before but in the evening it seems a bit scarier for some reason haha but the option's there if I want it. And the apartment's air-conditioned so I can go back and rest if I get too hot without worrying about what anyone else wants to do.

I don't know the closer it gets the more nervous I feel but this thread has made me feel better!
Has anyone used the app nomadher? I've downloaded it to maybe see if there are any other female travellers where I'm going that I could meet up with but don't know if it's actually any good or if that's even what it's really used for 🤷‍♀️
Thanks for posting a reply to this - please report back on how it went, I also want to go to Italy on my first solo trip, just haven't got around to booking anything yet - but I also feel a bit nervous for the same reasons as you. BUT I keep telling myself, is it really much different to if I was going to London, or Edinburgh, by myself? Not really! Nothing worse can happen there than could happen anywhere nearer home, but in Italy you'll have nicer weather and better food - that's my logic anyway😂

I want to go to Venice and you made me think maybe I could go somewhere else after for a beachy break.
I’m surprised how cheap the trains are compared to the UK at least. Just not sure where I could go from Venice that is more chilled and be achy to relax. I also looked at ferries to Croatia which could be possibly but more expensive. 🤔
you should be able to get from Venice to Croatia via train through Slovenia.
But even Slovenia has got two miles of beach 😁

Elles20

VIP Member
Not sure if I'm too late OP, and I don't know if anybody has mentioned this but I have recently come across a website called Journee where you fill out a survey of what sort of trip you are after and they organise a mystery one for you. I do tend to worry about mystery holidays but after undertaking the survey myself and getting a trip proposal, and also reading all of the incredible reviews on trustpilot, I am sold. Most reviews are from solo travellers so definitely have a look.

They organise flights, transfers, hotels, car hire, guided tours, activities, taxis etc depending on what you want to/willing to do.