Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SaintLeo

VIP Member
I’m going to be spending a couple of solo days in New York soon. I’ve been a few times before so done all of the obvious stuff, but my last visit was about 10 years ago so wondering if anyone has top tips for things to do & see that are either new-ish or a bit off the usual tourist track? Not planning on venturing too far from Manhattan if I can help it!

Reactions: 3

littlepup

VIP Member
I’ve solo travelled extensively in S.E.Asia and so long as you’re happy in your own company, keep your wits about you & research known scams before hand there’s really nothing to worry about. Sitting on your own in a restaurant is great for people watching and if you don’t fancy that, take a book. No one judges you and even if they did, you’ll never see them again.
I’m not really into meeting other travellers, I’d rather keep to myself generally. Some nights I’d have a few beers from a good vantage point and watch the world go by and others I’d sit on my bed with a toastie from the 7-11, massive bag of crisps and sweets, litres of pop and watch crap on the room TV - bliss!

Alternatively there are lots of solo travel groups you can join to meet like minded on people or you can attend something like a boot camp, art lessons, yoga break etc where you’ll meet people. There are holidays for every hobby.
Theflippedpiece on Instagram is organising a ladies only holiday just now.

I want to go on a holiday by myself but feel like i’m being held back by someone who would 100% judge me / argue about it
If it’s not as easy as saying fuck ‘em, try the hobby holiday route as an excuse, make it partially about pursuing an interest so they can’t criticise. Blokes going on a a city break alone and it’s ‘weird’ but a golf or whisky tasting weekend and no one bats an eye lid.
It can be something as simple as wanting to try the local food, no extra expense but it gives it purpose. People seem to see it differently when you frame it as travelling to learn rather than a holiday.

• Heart
Who knew Tattle was more than me bitching about influencers

I'm looking for a solo trip next April. Just FYI solo black girl so bear that in mind

Any suggestions x
What kind of trip are you after? I love Portugal and the people are so friendly and warm.

I'm from South Africa so can also highly recommend that if you have a bit more money and want a longer trip. My opinion is if you need to fly over 8 hours then you need at least two weeks there. SA has so much diversity and you obv won't feel uncomfortable.

• Heart
Im single and dont have anyone to go on holiday with but I want to start small and safe.
Anyone been to Stockholm?
Yes! I really enjoyed it but it's expensive. A fun trip is to take the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, especially in the summer when it's light even at night. It's quite cheap. Helsinki is great, it's such a seasidey chilled out place, loads of fab shops & bars etc, and less expensive than Stockholm. And then you can also take another overnight ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, another cute Baltic city, and MUCH cheaper than Stockholm, Helsinki or Copenhagen. I don't recommend taking a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki tho, because it's full of very drunk people who have been to Estonia to get cheaper booze. Do it the other way around when everyone is still sober😆

And in case anyone is wondering, yes it was me who started off asking for solo travel tips - even tho I've travelled a lot, and actually done the travel part alone a lot, I've never spent more than one night alone anywhere so that's why this thread has proven so useful.

soymilk

VIP Member
Oh yeah we've been together a loooong time & he didn't actually complain about missing out, he just won't admit to not wanting to talk about it because he knows he'd have enjoyed it if he had come along, and doesn't want to admit to being wrong. It's OK tho, we have an agreement that I do my things & he does his things, and he doesn't need to know what I'm doing every hour. It'll be fine as long as I report back that I'm alive every day. When I go to Italy he'll be jealous of all the food I'll be eating without him😆

Ive been following Postcardsbyhannah on Instagram for a while & saved a few of her recent trips for more solo European travels. So many gorgeous places in Germany, and apparently Croatia is good for going alone as well.
If you're interested in Croatia you should ask @strawb for tips!

• Heart

futbolista

VIP Member
I love getting the bus in America it’s very eye opening 🤣
My car has been in the shop so I took a train to do some stuff this weekend and it is overwhelming for me. Some guy took a frying pan out of his bag and started banging on the walls of the train. I ran out and went into another car.

I always feel relatively safe on public transit and have traveled all over the world me but I honestly feel least safe here sadly. So many issues - can’t even get into them. not American so won’t live here forever luckily. When I was 19 I took the bus from Canada into usa and I remember watching a man take a dump outside of Central Park as my initial welcome to America experience as a solo traveler 😩

• Wow

futbolista

VIP Member
I’m not on that app but there are some Facebook groups for solo female traveling. Lots of great suggestions and sometimes people in the same places.

like the above post suggests, I sign up for some free walking tours or paid cooking classes and I often meet others that way to do some activities with.

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Why do you have to say that you are black?
Is it only me that could not care less??
i think because certain countries aren’t exactly welcoming sometimes.

@GossWhore - if you have an idea of what you’re looking for and budget we can help! i would say that a solo black friend of mine did NOT have a good experience in rome though :(

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Booked 3 nights in Milan - been before but plan to do day trips to Turin and Verona, or maybe Varenna for a swim in Lake Como. And then getting the train to the coast near Portofino and staying for 7 nights there for walking/swimming/sunning. So that's 10 nights in total x
I want to go to Venice and you made me think maybe I could go somewhere else after for a beachy break.
I’m surprised how cheap the trains are compared to the UK at least. Just not sure where I could go from Venice that is more chilled and be achy to relax. I also looked at ferries to Croatia which could be possibly but more expensive. 🤔

SaintLeo

VIP Member
So my plan is travel solo once a year. I’ve asked for advice on lapland/Iceland but doesn’t anyone have advice of Venice and Cappadocia?

As I’m thinking of possibly doing one of them in June next year. And then a holiday with a friend at the end of the year. Maybe then solo Iceland/lapland early 2025. Although I keep seeing safaris in south Africa for 2025 so I’m tempted by them. Or a safari trip via a company, I’ve used introtravel before and can book open dates with them. So I could do that sometime in 2025z
I went to Venice last year as part of a longer group tour round Italy with Intrepid and loved it. It’s definitely somewhere I’d like to go back to as we only had a couple of days and it is really beautiful.

One of the things I didn’t realise (although I guess it’s obvious really!) is there are no vehicles in the city. You arrive either by water or into the train/coach terminal. Not a problem necessarily but we had one of our group who had to catch a really early flight and had to trek though the streets with all her luggage to get to her taxi. No pick up possible directly from the hotel! If you’re travelling alone it’s maybe something worth knowing so you can plan to arrive /leave during daytime.

Water buses are great for getting around and to get out to some of the other smaller islands like Murano and Burano. You can also use them to go over to San Giorgio and climb the church tower there for great views back over Venice and St Marks.

As with trips to other city it’s probably worth booking on some tours to learn more about the famous tourist spots.

The other thing about Venice is chances are you will get lost! The streets are small and winding and there are so many bridges and canals that it’s hard to keep track! Embrace it! Thats the beauty of it I think, just being able to wander and not worry about going anywhere quickly!

Notworthy

VIP Member
I’d like to go skiing/snowboarding as a total beginner. Can anybody recommend any group travel for this? I don’t mind travelling by myself (obvs, I’m in this group!) but I think something like this would be easier in a group setting
When you learn to ski you are in a group so I wouldn't worry too much about actually travelling in a group. I took my then 3 year old Son for my 1st ski trip, just him and I so in effect a beginners ski holiday on my own and it was fine.
I have been to this resort Bad Hofgastein in Austria | Ski Resort Bad Gastein (skigastein.com) and it is a great resort for a beginner IMO.
This hotel is lovely Bad Hofgastein Hotel | 4* Österreichischer Hof (oehof.at)
I personally wouldn't recommend learning in France plus the resorts tend to be built around the skiing so there is nothing to do in the evening on your own whereas in other Countries the ski resorts tended to evolve around a town so there are more facilities.
Andorra is a cheaper option and also a good place to learn

emm

VIP Member
Got the solo travel blues and I haven't even left yet 😅
I'm going to Porto tomorrow for a few days and the weather is going to be absolutely shit plus I think I'm coming down with a cold. Can't complain though cos my mum already gets so worried about me travelling solo she'll have a breakdown if I'm not having an amazing time 100% of the time!
Trying to push through and still have a nice time 😬
Even if the weather's crap it'll be nice, I actually love being near the sea when it rains! Nice sea air, yummy food, youll have a great time!
---
Got the solo travel blues and I haven't even left yet 😅
I'm going to Porto tomorrow for a few days and the weather is going to be absolutely shit plus I think I'm coming down with a cold. Can't complain though cos my mum already gets so worried about me travelling solo she'll have a breakdown if I'm not having an amazing time 100% of the time!
Trying to push through and still have a nice time 😬
Even if the weather's crap it'll be nice, I actually love being near the sea when it rains! Nice sea air, yummy food, youll have a great time!

• Heart

Jmx

Chatty Member
I recommend Italy, Denmark, Madrid, I stayed in hostels almost all of the time, best way to make pals!

Cinque Terre and Venice were wonderful.

Didn’t enjoy Paris so much, and Munich wasn’t great.

• Heart

easyliketuesdayafternoon

Can anyone recommend somewhere for a holiday in October? Ideally I want somewhere warm ish and would like a mix of doing something such as exploring a city and relaxing. Looking to go away for 10 to 14 nights.

I am currently thinking Athens and then going to a couple of Islands such as Paros, Naxos etc. Weather in October from googling is low 20s. Has anyone been to Greece in October?

Other alternative is Lisbon and Algarve and a couple of other spots but as it is on the Atlantic I am thinking it would be riskier weather wise.

I am open to long haul but just looking for ideas.
I've been to Greece at the end of September / start of October before and I really enjoyed it! The weather is warm and comfortable but not hot or humid anymore, and the summer crowds have gone so there's a much more peaceful atmosphere on the islands. Always recommend Athens - one of my favourite capital cities!

GossWhore

VIP Member
I get anxiety when i travel tbh, though i usually feel better once i'm through airport security and having a pint waiting for the gate to be announced xx
Same. I think for me even when I'm not travelling so I'm the "travel dad" for my whole family and friends including my own dad. I have all the passports, information, etc

No wonder I don't want kids lol

• Haha
  • Wow

PaddyDomino

I've been on holiday twice on my own, both times to Tenerife (as I'd been there before).

During the day I walked, explored, had a few pool days, people watched.

In the evening I went for dinner on my own and would go to the waterside afterwards and have a wine while watching the sea (and people) before going back to my balcony.

I went self catering, as ironically I find eating alone in hotels more awkward than cafes, bistros and restaurants outwith.

I enjoy an early start / early night on holiday and I found going solo worked for me as I could just get up and go walking as soon as I woke without waiting for anyone, or having to go back to hotels etc when others woke. My day (and in turn holiday) was my own.

I enjoyed it and never at any point felt unsafe. Even with it being the tourist area, I found being alone avoided the "oh you wanting a drink, a good time, food" kinda rep people which I appreciated.

I recommend going alone greatly and now I know I can do it myself I'll definitely be working my way through my bucket list of places to go.
I'm very similar, in that I've been to the Canaries three times, on my own.
They were my first solo holidays and felt very safe. I would recommend a package holiday as a first solo trip because having a transfer to and from the airport is comforting, it was for me anyway. I'd say any resort in Spain, Portugal or Italy, would feel safe.
I think a week is long enough, when you're on your own, I think I would have felt a bit bored if I'd stayed longer.
I was in self catering apartments because I knew wouldn't enjoy sitting in a hotel dining room on my own.
I did get chatting to people when sitting around the pool, and was even invited out for the evening with them but I'm a bit of a loner, and if that hadn't happened, it wouldn't have bothered me. I was very happy relaxing with a glass of wine on my balcony, in the evenings 🙂
You'd also get chatting to people on the day tours sold by the resort, of course.
So, I think a package holiday is a great way to try solo holidays.
I used to work with a lady who loved going away on coach tours of Australia, NZ, and South Africa. They were really expensive but she always had a great time.
I've also had some city breaks to Glasgow and London. I love museums and also went to a theatre matinee. I felt that I had plenty to do and see, and three or four days felt long enough.
One place that I stayed on my own, for a couple of days, that didn't feel safe, was Los Angeles.
The public transport just didn't feel safe, and there were beggars who were quite aggressive etc.
Having been to New York and San Francisco, with friends, I would say you would be ok there on your own, they felt safer than LA anyway.

• Heart

futbolista

VIP Member
Alternatively transport from the Airport. Some Airports can be an utter nightmare, Miami being one of them as the Cabbies Union managed to stop the Metro from being built to the Airport. There is a Van share so if you are travelling alone this is an option and probably exists at other Airports and is worth looking into.
I find most of Europe pretty good even if the Airport is out in the boonies.
I'm a big fan of Austria and this is a great Country to visit solo, a few days in Salzburg and then a few days somewhere like Zell am See would be a great trip.
Weather in the Summer is lovely, odd shower but if sunbathing it's not worth going indoors, just stay at the pool and it passes.
I live in the USA and it can be quite tough in many American cities bc of taxi unions causing issue. For many years in LA they stopped ride share companies like Uber from coming close to the airport and there is no convenient public transport. Nyc is easy bc there’s a subway or train from the diff airports. Seems overwhelming at first but it’s easy.

places like Bangkok or Hong kong have trains going into city Center from airport for cheap and then take a cheap taxi to accommodations- in bkk always confirm the meter is on.

Notworthy

VIP Member
Im currently on the last day of a three week trip around Asia. First week wasnt solo but the last two were. In the three weeks I went to 3 countries. I also did a solo trip to the US last year for two weeks.

I found long haul solo fine. This trip was scarier with more language and cultural differences and I still really enjoyed it. I had one issue getting from the airport to the city but I worked it out. I learned my lesson to check if there are airports nearer the city in future and not go for one a few hours outside the city.
Alternatively transport from the Airport. Some Airports can be an utter nightmare, Miami being one of them as the Cabbies Union managed to stop the Metro from being built to the Airport. There is a Van share so if you are travelling alone this is an option and probably exists at other Airports and is worth looking into.
I find most of Europe pretty good even if the Airport is out in the boonies.
I'm a big fan of Austria and this is a great Country to visit solo, a few days in Salzburg and then a few days somewhere like Zell am See would be a great trip.
Weather in the Summer is lovely, odd shower but if sunbathing it's not worth going indoors, just stay at the pool and it passes.

Reactions: 2

279cupcakes

I’m going to be spending a couple of solo days in New York soon. I’ve been a few times before so done all of the obvious stuff, but my last visit was about 10 years ago so wondering if anyone has top tips for things to do & see that are either new-ish or a bit off the usual tourist track? Not planning on venturing too far from Manhattan if I can help it!
The small is beautiful exhibit is expensive, but lovely! I spent so much time there looking at everything, it was all gorgeous and so intricately done. Washington square park is also nearby which I enjoy.
You said you didn't want to venture too far from Manhattan, but I went to the Brooklyn Botanical gardens last time and it was beautiful. So many different varieties of flowers and even saw some koi fish, such a nice place to have a picnic.

I've booked my first solo trip to Paris next month: pretty nervous but also excited. Only there for two days but would love to hear recs if people have them!

Reactions: 2