Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Roobarb

The first time I went away on my own was a week all inclusive to menorca. I dislike eating in restaurants so went for one with a buffet. Nice pool, on the beach. Read a lot of books!

Cried the night before I flew out through anxiety and not knowing how everybody else would be with me. It was mostly spanish/ Italian families in the hotel so they just didn't 'get' an English woman on her own. But all was fine. Felt safe.

Since then I have mainly done cruises as I like seeing different places and you can choose to go on trips or wander off on your own. You can also eat with the other solo travellers, or with other people or on your own. In fact, most times some couple or group usually adopts me 🤗

I have also been on a city break to new York twice! Just do your research before you go. Went to Madeira for a week last year - was very nice. Don't think you can go too far wrong in europe, North America etc. Just be aware like you would be here.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

emm

VIP Member
I know it's not immediately appealing but I'd look at one of the beach resorts in mainland Spain. If you stay on the outskirts you bypass all the 'all day breakfast' crew completely and you benefit from beaches and easy access to lots of great cities. I stayed in Calella down the coast from Barcelona and got the train in. You can also get to Valencia really easily. These resorts tend not to be popular with Brits so much these days but the beaches are great. Great value too.
Sitges, just a bit outside Barcelona, is really nice

• Heart

jawidjanqndn

VIP Member
Im considering booking a solo holiday, I’m in my early 20’s and all my friends are in long term relationships so it’s not great for me when trying to go away 😂 I’m single and am just dying to get away! Im only thinking somewhere in Spain for 3-4 nights at first (just to see if I like it) and then perhaps book another if I do enjoy it.

does anyone reccomend anywhere in Spain? Ideally somewhere friendly with lots of Brits as I think I’ll find it easier to chat to people and make friends

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
Oh to be a fly on the wall/travel companion to your fabulous trips. I'll tell you what, you'll never regret it! Even if it goes horribly wrong (it won't) you'll feel so empowered and have an incredible story to tell that, no joke, becomes part of your sole!
I've had a couple of occasions in Asia where I've felt lonely for about 5 seconds then I went to the shop, got a massive Chang (or whatever, maybe big gulp diet coke) Lays, Oreos, some weird sweets, hopefully some street food, I've gone back to my room, taken the entire bed to myself, put on whatever TV or radio I could find and just chilled the fuck out. It's incredible. Especially if your feet and body ache. It cant be beaten.

I do however recommend downloading something to BBCIplayer or podbean for such occasions.
I always go on holiday alone, but always in Europe. Do you have any advice for trips like that in Asia? I would love to go and as independent as I am I am still terrified to do so

• Heart

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
Booked Amsterdam for early Dec for 3 nights. Actually never been before! Hotels weren't cheap but got a single room for £300 quid 10mins from Riksmuseum and all the bars etc x

Reactions: 5

JadeyJ

I’m a 32 year old woman, happily single and no kids with a pretty much non existent social life 😂 but I’m quite a solitary person so doing things alone doesn’t bother me at all. I’m thinking about booking a solo trip to Paris in the spring, maybe March/beginning of April, for a few days. Has anyone else done Paris solo and how did you find it?

lurkingaround123

Chatty Member
So many lovely and useful tips so far! THANK YOU everyone! I've pretty much decided on Italy. Now have to choose when and where...
I once did a bit of a combo trip in Italy which I would recommend! I flew in to Milan and did a couple of nights city break, then got the train down to the coast and had a little beach break too, worked out really cheap staying in lovely airbnb's

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
Why do you have to say that you are black?
Is it only me that could not care less??
I'm not black but I've heard of lotd kf travellers (especially women) experiencing racism. I would saw (from what I've heard) Eastern Europe isn't the best place

• Heart

Megansnarkle

VIP Member
I always go on holiday alone, but always in Europe. Do you have any advice for trips like that in Asia? I would love to go and as independent as I am I am still terrified to do so
Japan is an excellent place for solo travel. Lots of places with counter seating if you don't fancy sitting alone at a table for two and excellent supermarket food if all you fancy is a bento box in bed kind of night.

• Heart

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
Not a holiday but has anyone been to concerts alone?? I have one booked next year and my favourite band have announced they’ll be doing one.
I went to see Britney Spears on my own once lol. I had an entire row next to the stage to myself. I had a whale of a time drinking and having a dance. She came right up to the edge of the stage and felt like i was dancing with her lol

Roobarb

I love a cruise. Expensive as a solo, but so are hotels. Most people are really friendly on them. Some good itineraries around the med etc.

Notworthy

VIP Member
My (Male) Osteo travels a lot on his own. He just came back from S. Africa and from what he said, it's not a place for tourists right now let alone single female tourists so anyone contemplating it, probably better to consider Namibia or Botswana. He's travelled all through S. America with no qualms but he said S. Africa was a whole different ballgame, he couldn't even stand outside the Hotel to wait for his cab in case he was kidnapped.

• Wow

Hereiam44

I would definitely recommend travelling about by train. A few years ago I flew out to Geneva, stayed a couple nights in and around Montreux and got a train to Milan directly from there. So easy and *so* cheap. Kind of blew my mind how cheap it was. What I loved about it is that the weather in one place wasn’t great so I flipped my plans and followed the sun because I was just pleasing myself! Was nervous before I went but genuinely loved every minute of it and some of my favourite times were sitting in a rooftop bar in the evening reading my book

• Heart

littlepup

VIP Member
Oh to be a fly on the wall/travel companion to your fabulous trips. I'll tell you what, you'll never regret it! Even if it goes horribly wrong (it won't) you'll feel so empowered and have an incredible story to tell that, no joke, becomes part of your sole!
I've had a couple of occasions in Asia where I've felt lonely for about 5 seconds then I went to the shop, got a massive Chang (or whatever, maybe big gulp diet coke) Lays, Oreos, some weird sweets, hopefully some street food, I've gone back to my room, taken the entire bed to myself, put on whatever TV or radio I could find and just chilled the fuck out. It's incredible. Especially if your feet and body ache. It cant be beaten.

I do however recommend downloading something to BBCIplayer or podbean for such occasions.

• Heart

ATV2021

VIP Member
Really glad I stumbled across this thread! In a similar position to lots of you - single with mostly married friends - so solo hols is something I’ve been looking into recently. I been lucky enough to work in Dubai a bit so have tagged a few solo days onto the end of work trips but never done a solo trip that was just for a holiday. Currently looking at a few European city breaks, Rome is top of the list.

A few years ago my cousin did a trip with Contiki and had a great time, made lots of friends from it. Unfortunately they’re for 18-35s and I’m no longer in that age bracket! Does anyone know of similar companies who cater for 40-somethings? I’d really love to do a safari but would imagine that’s pretty impossible to sort out without going through a tour operator? Will check out Just You that’s been mentioned but would love to know any others people have used.
I've only used Just You - I was 29 at the time and the youngest on my trip by a few years but it didn't matter at all. Everyone is there for the same reason and it was a really lovely group. I'm hoping they'll bring back the Hong Kong short trip again as that's on my list but obviously HK are still more covid strict so it's not on at the moment. The New York one is what I did and it was amazing - lots of excursions thrown in that you can take part in (or not) and then optional cost ones or free time. They give airport lounge access and allsorts with the packages so it is a good company.

Sprezza

VIP Member
Ahh I'm so happy to find this thread! I have my first solo trip to Italy booked in July and I'm really considering cancelling it tbh- worried about the stress of finding my way around, being bored alone as well as just being too hot! Plus my mum keeps saying she wishes I wasn't going and that she's really worried :rolleyes:

But I know it would be really good for my confidence and I don't know when I'll get another chance to go to Italy since trying to arrange holidays with other people has proven to be impossible! I've gone for self-catering since I don't want the pressure of having to eat out in restaurants- I've done this at lunch time before but in the evening it seems a bit scarier for some reason haha but the option's there if I want it. And the apartment's air-conditioned so I can go back and rest if I get too hot without worrying about what anyone else wants to do.

I don't know the closer it gets the more nervous I feel but this thread has made me feel better!
Has anyone used the app nomadher? I've downloaded it to maybe see if there are any other female travellers where I'm going that I could meet up with but don't know if it's actually any good or if that's even what it's really used for 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 4

emm

VIP Member
i did a solo round the world trip through 19 countries. New Zealand, Oz, europe and asia. Also have done solo road trips around America and Canada.

spain is really easy. Madrid, Barcelona or even San Sebastián. I stayed in some hostels and with friends at the time but could do air bnb with a local host with good reviews. Do some organized day trips and then explore alone. Can join some Facebook groups to find female locals or get tips.

just saw this and am on phone but can answer more questions if you like.
Second those Spanish cities, I would also add valencia which is just amazing.
What I have done on occasion is do a language course in the place that I am staying in, only a few hours a day and it is a good way to meet people and also get to know more about the place you are staying

First solo trip was to Berlin , I really enjoyed my time there , joined the free walking tours and made a Facebook friend
Totally agree about the free walking tours, they seem to exist everywhere in Europe now, thinking about it I have also joined groups on Meetup and gone for drinks/walks with people (or tinder if you are single!)

Last edited:
  • Heart

futbolista

VIP Member
There’s a Facebook group called girls love travel. I don’t spend a lot of time in there but I have joined and I use group search bar for specific questions. Lots of travel around the world and lots of helpful tips from women travelers. Could be helpful for specific questions.

Also solo travel blogs or Reddit are helpful as I don’t love watching long form video. I’m old. Just give me answers asap 😂