Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Roobarb

I love a cruise. Expensive as a solo, but so are hotels. Most people are really friendly on them. Some good itineraries around the med etc.

Reactions: 5

Notworthy

VIP Member
My (Male) Osteo travels a lot on his own. He just came back from S. Africa and from what he said, it's not a place for tourists right now let alone single female tourists so anyone contemplating it, probably better to consider Namibia or Botswana. He's travelled all through S. America with no qualms but he said S. Africa was a whole different ballgame, he couldn't even stand outside the Hotel to wait for his cab in case he was kidnapped.

• Wow

Hereiam44

I would definitely recommend travelling about by train. A few years ago I flew out to Geneva, stayed a couple nights in and around Montreux and got a train to Milan directly from there. So easy and *so* cheap. Kind of blew my mind how cheap it was. What I loved about it is that the weather in one place wasn’t great so I flipped my plans and followed the sun because I was just pleasing myself! Was nervous before I went but genuinely loved every minute of it and some of my favourite times were sitting in a rooftop bar in the evening reading my book

• Heart

littlepup

VIP Member
Oh to be a fly on the wall/travel companion to your fabulous trips. I'll tell you what, you'll never regret it! Even if it goes horribly wrong (it won't) you'll feel so empowered and have an incredible story to tell that, no joke, becomes part of your sole!
I've had a couple of occasions in Asia where I've felt lonely for about 5 seconds then I went to the shop, got a massive Chang (or whatever, maybe big gulp diet coke) Lays, Oreos, some weird sweets, hopefully some street food, I've gone back to my room, taken the entire bed to myself, put on whatever TV or radio I could find and just chilled the fuck out. It's incredible. Especially if your feet and body ache. It cant be beaten.

I do however recommend downloading something to BBCIplayer or podbean for such occasions.

• Heart

ATV2021

VIP Member
Really glad I stumbled across this thread! In a similar position to lots of you - single with mostly married friends - so solo hols is something I’ve been looking into recently. I been lucky enough to work in Dubai a bit so have tagged a few solo days onto the end of work trips but never done a solo trip that was just for a holiday. Currently looking at a few European city breaks, Rome is top of the list.

A few years ago my cousin did a trip with Contiki and had a great time, made lots of friends from it. Unfortunately they’re for 18-35s and I’m no longer in that age bracket! Does anyone know of similar companies who cater for 40-somethings? I’d really love to do a safari but would imagine that’s pretty impossible to sort out without going through a tour operator? Will check out Just You that’s been mentioned but would love to know any others people have used.
I've only used Just You - I was 29 at the time and the youngest on my trip by a few years but it didn't matter at all. Everyone is there for the same reason and it was a really lovely group. I'm hoping they'll bring back the Hong Kong short trip again as that's on my list but obviously HK are still more covid strict so it's not on at the moment. The New York one is what I did and it was amazing - lots of excursions thrown in that you can take part in (or not) and then optional cost ones or free time. They give airport lounge access and allsorts with the packages so it is a good company.

Sprezza

VIP Member
Ahh I'm so happy to find this thread! I have my first solo trip to Italy booked in July and I'm really considering cancelling it tbh- worried about the stress of finding my way around, being bored alone as well as just being too hot! Plus my mum keeps saying she wishes I wasn't going and that she's really worried :rolleyes:

But I know it would be really good for my confidence and I don't know when I'll get another chance to go to Italy since trying to arrange holidays with other people has proven to be impossible! I've gone for self-catering since I don't want the pressure of having to eat out in restaurants- I've done this at lunch time before but in the evening it seems a bit scarier for some reason haha but the option's there if I want it. And the apartment's air-conditioned so I can go back and rest if I get too hot without worrying about what anyone else wants to do.

I don't know the closer it gets the more nervous I feel but this thread has made me feel better!
Has anyone used the app nomadher? I've downloaded it to maybe see if there are any other female travellers where I'm going that I could meet up with but don't know if it's actually any good or if that's even what it's really used for 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 4

emm

VIP Member
i did a solo round the world trip through 19 countries. New Zealand, Oz, europe and asia. Also have done solo road trips around America and Canada.

spain is really easy. Madrid, Barcelona or even San Sebastián. I stayed in some hostels and with friends at the time but could do air bnb with a local host with good reviews. Do some organized day trips and then explore alone. Can join some Facebook groups to find female locals or get tips.

just saw this and am on phone but can answer more questions if you like.
Second those Spanish cities, I would also add valencia which is just amazing.
What I have done on occasion is do a language course in the place that I am staying in, only a few hours a day and it is a good way to meet people and also get to know more about the place you are staying

First solo trip was to Berlin , I really enjoyed my time there , joined the free walking tours and made a Facebook friend
Totally agree about the free walking tours, they seem to exist everywhere in Europe now, thinking about it I have also joined groups on Meetup and gone for drinks/walks with people (or tinder if you are single!)

Last edited:
  • Heart

futbolista

VIP Member
There’s a Facebook group called girls love travel. I don’t spend a lot of time in there but I have joined and I use group search bar for specific questions. Lots of travel around the world and lots of helpful tips from women travelers. Could be helpful for specific questions.

Also solo travel blogs or Reddit are helpful as I don’t love watching long form video. I’m old. Just give me answers asap 😂

I haven’t been on my own (but it is something I am 100% looking into) but my friend has. She went to Lisbon and had a blast! It has both the beach and city vibes. I’m sure she stopped in an AirBnB and said she felt incredibly safe. She’s into fitness, and did a lot of hiking/running both in the city and around the countryside areas.
Thank you! Lisbon is definitely on my list

Hey

I love travelling solo and have done it before around America and SE Asia. I mainly stayed in hostels (female only dorms/mixed) I really enjoy it as you meet more people. There is always the option of a private room too. A lot of hostels have their own bars so you could get chatting to like minded people there. There are also retreats yoga, hiking and photography trips if you wanted that.

I’ve not done much of Europe solo, but I’ve heard that Portugal is a great place. I think most people eat later than us in other parts of Europe so you could dine out solo or with others that you meet.Hope you find something suitable. Enjoy! 🌏✨✈

https://worldofwanderlust.com/the-20-safest-cities-in-europe-for-solo-female-travelers/amp/

Thanks for the link to the yoga places, a couple of them sound really interesting!

From the list of safe European cities, I've been to all the Nordic ones & can confirm they're beautiful & safe, in case anyone else fancies a trip to one of them.

Last edited:
  • Heart

emm

VIP Member
Im single and dont have anyone to go on holiday with but I want to start small and safe.
Anyone been to Stockholm?
I've never been but I have heard from other people who have solo travelled that all of the Scandi countries are very good and safe, also they all speak amazing English so no need to worry about any language barrier if you do have any issues

Sprezza

VIP Member
I want to do the Norway Fjords and was looking at a 7 night one on the Iona next Summer, the price quickly racks up though when you're on your own. Don't know if it would be better to fly into Bergen and see if I can do a day boat trip from there x
Probably if your main goal is the destination and not the cruise experience itself (not sure if I would enjoy it or not tbh) you might be better off making your own way there x

Megansnarkle

VIP Member
Japan. Super safe and amazing for solo travellers because so many places are counter seating so dining alone isn't awkward.

• Heart

Megansnarkle

VIP Member
Thank you so much @Former_Antelopee @Zulkraa @Megansnarkle @OnlyHereForTheLolz @misunderstood for your replies and advice 💓 you're all so right. I'm going to do it!

I am packing my bag now and quite excited by the thought of heading off tomorrow solo. I haven't told him that I'm actually going yet, I might just let him know when I'm there because it'll be a whole back and forth fuss if I tell him I'm going to go on ahead.
YASS! Have the best time and remember that even if you don't, you've seen somewhere new when you could have been at home having lost money.

• Heart

petitspois

VIP Member
I have 2 weeks off in June, solo holiday needs booking today. Need somewhere in the med, hot, sunny, beaches, affordable but with history and culture as well. Any ideas?
I know it's not immediately appealing but I'd look at one of the beach resorts in mainland Spain. If you stay on the outskirts you bypass all the 'all day breakfast' crew completely and you benefit from beaches and easy access to lots of great cities. I stayed in Calella down the coast from Barcelona and got the train in. You can also get to Valencia really easily. These resorts tend not to be popular with Brits so much these days but the beaches are great. Great value too.

Heidi88

VIP Member
I did my first solo trip last year to the US and loved it. I did a city break in Europe earlier this month on my own which went really well. It was a city I had been to multiple times before so it was a very easy trip.

I'm going to Tokyo and Seoul solo later this summer. I'm visiting family in Singapore first. It will my first time in Asia. I've heard both cities are good for female solo travel. I'm a little nervous about the language barrier but i cant wait for the trip!

futbolista

VIP Member
Thanks so much! If I was travelling alone I wouldn't be so anxious, but because iv got mu little boy and partner I'm so anxious. Iv been watching those videos about what to do in an active shooter situation, purely because we don't have that sort of training here as it's not needed. And I think its made me worse!! But I like to be prepared. So we start off in seattle, head to oregon coast, then through idaho, to wyoming, to utah and end up in Las Vegas. So quite a few stops!

And also I love what you said about solo travel not being lonely, but the opposite. That's exactly what my experience has always been.
I don't regret any solo trip I did, in fact I think it made me more confident. Xx
I know it’s touristy but I still love pike place market. There’s a place called ellenos yogurt. It’s so weird to say but their Greek yogurt is soooo good. Almost like a dessert.

I love the Oregon coast. Stop at the tillamook creamery (dairy brand) for ice cream. The cafe is quite good. Cannon beach of course. Portland has someone gone downhill but there’s no state tax so it’s great to do some shopping and eating there. Lots of greats craft breweries. Salt and straw ice cream. Great food scene. Not sure how far south you’ll go on the Oregon coast but it’s my favourite part of the unites states. I’ve driven alone from San Diego to Vancouver multiple times and it’s a gorgeous drive on the coast. Utah has all the stunning canyons but I’ve never been -still need to go to antelope and horseshoe canyon. Have a good trip! Safe travels.

• Heart

Upintheair83

VIP Member
Travelled by myself numerous times, you won't ever regret it. And once you've done it you realise how much better it is! Iv made so many friends from other countries over the years. In fact, 2 iv remained friends with for around 15 years now. Every birthday,new year and Christmas we always message. ❤ It's nice to do what you want to do without worrying about what someone else wants to do, you can people watch and never get bored. I always used to take a book with me to meal times, just for extra support as sometimes I did feel awkward sitting by myself. But you get used to it, and as I say, it's surprising how you make friends. One thing I would say is buy some extra hotel security, you can now buy door stop alarms and extra locks on Amazon. Just type in travel security and they will come up. I say this because once when I was in Turkey by myself, 2 men did walk jnto my room one night. Luckily the phone was by my bed and I rang down to security and they came rushing up. That was a Thomas Cook hotel too! So not some dodgy hotel. Ever since then I always take extra security with me. But I miss the days of solo travel, the freedom and confidence you get from it is amazing. I'd encourage anyone to try it at least once.
I'm going to America next week with my son and partner and since news of this shooting broke I'm actually quite scared. So any advice on that would help!

Notworthy

VIP Member
Depending on your budget and what you want from a holiday I can recommend the following. Beach Holidays for Single & Solo Travellers | Neilson
I went as a single parent and there were a few singe travellers that I hooked up with. The group activities make it very easy to meet people and the dining used to be trestle tables that you just plonked yourself on so again very easy to not look like billy no mates. I haven't yet travelled alone but defo planning to as I hate to be restricted by other peoples needs when I'm away. A friend has just come back from a Solo Iceland trip. She rented a camper van and just drove around the country,, absolutely loved it and is planning on solo Mexico now she knows she can do it.

• Heart