Solo travel advice & recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hoping someone on here is / has been brave enough to go on holiday alone and can give me some tips!

I haven't been on holiday at all for about 5 years for various reasons plus of course the pandemic. My husband doesn't like going abroad (won't fly, everything else is too much hassle for him & he's not really interested enough to go anywhere to make the effort) and all my friends now have babies so I've got nobody to go with but I really want a holiday!

Have any of you (mainly girls) been anywhere abroad by yourselves? I'm thinking Europe, mainly. Where's safe? Where's interesting? Where's easy to go and eat alone? I feel like I'd be OK during the daytime in a city or a resort but not sure what I'd do by myself in the evenings...

Or have any of you been on those guided solo traveller trips? I usually arrange all my own travel as it's cheaper, but maybe I should go for something that's a guided thing?

Any ideas welcome!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Depends on what you want out of a holiday. Do you want a city break and days filled up with sight seeing? Do you want a beach holiday where you stay near the beach or pool? something with sports?

Depends on what you want out of a holiday. Do you want a city break and days filled up with sight seeing? Do you want a beach holiday where you stay near the beach or pool? something with sports?
Ideally a city break, or a resort break with choices to go on trips. I can't just lay by a pool all day, I'd get bored. I like museums, sightseeing, hiking, and eating! Been thinking about a walking holiday in Italy or a similar thing in Portugal. Somewhere I can take amazing photographs (not of myself!) of scenery or architecture. Could I be any more vague😂

Reactions: 2
I haven’t been on my own (but it is something I am 100% looking into) but my friend has. She went to Lisbon and had a blast! It has both the beach and city vibes. I’m sure she stopped in an AirBnB and said she felt incredibly safe. She’s into fitness, and did a lot of hiking/running both in the city and around the countryside areas.

Hey

I love travelling solo and have done it before around America and SE Asia. I mainly stayed in hostels (female only dorms/mixed) I really enjoy it as you meet more people. There is always the option of a private room too. A lot of hostels have their own bars so you could get chatting to like minded people there. There are also retreats yoga, hiking and photography trips if you wanted that.

I’ve not done much of Europe solo, but I’ve heard that Portugal is a great place. I think most people eat later than us in other parts of Europe so you could dine out solo or with others that you meet.Hope you find something suitable. Enjoy! 🌏✨✈

https://worldofwanderlust.com/the-20-safest-cities-in-europe-for-solo-female-travelers/amp/

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I haven’t been on my own (but it is something I am 100% looking into) but my friend has. She went to Lisbon and had a blast! It has both the beach and city vibes. I’m sure she stopped in an AirBnB and said she felt incredibly safe. She’s into fitness, and did a lot of hiking/running both in the city and around the countryside areas.
Thank you! Lisbon is definitely on my list

Hey

I love travelling solo and have done it before around America and SE Asia. I mainly stayed in hostels (female only dorms/mixed) I really enjoy it as you meet more people. There is always the option of a private room too. A lot of hostels have their own bars so you could get chatting to like minded people there. There are also retreats yoga, hiking and photography trips if you wanted that.

I’ve not done much of Europe solo, but I’ve heard that Portugal is a great place. I think most people eat later than us in other parts of Europe so you could dine out solo or with others that you meet.Hope you find something suitable. Enjoy! 🌏✨✈

https://worldofwanderlust.com/the-20-safest-cities-in-europe-for-solo-female-travelers/amp/

Thanks for the link to the yoga places, a couple of them sound really interesting!

From the list of safe European cities, I've been to all the Nordic ones & can confirm they're beautiful & safe, in case anyone else fancies a trip to one of them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
The first time I went away on my own was a week all inclusive to menorca. I dislike eating in restaurants so went for one with a buffet. Nice pool, on the beach. Read a lot of books!

Cried the night before I flew out through anxiety and not knowing how everybody else would be with me. It was mostly spanish/ Italian families in the hotel so they just didn't 'get' an English woman on her own. But all was fine. Felt safe.

Since then I have mainly done cruises as I like seeing different places and you can choose to go on trips or wander off on your own. You can also eat with the other solo travellers, or with other people or on your own. In fact, most times some couple or group usually adopts me 🤗

I have also been on a city break to new York twice! Just do your research before you go. Went to Madeira for a week last year - was very nice. Don't think you can go too far wrong in europe, North America etc. Just be aware like you would be here.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I recommend Italy, Denmark, Madrid, I stayed in hostels almost all of the time, best way to make pals!

Cinque Terre and Venice were wonderful.

Didn’t enjoy Paris so much, and Munich wasn’t great.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The first time I went away on my own was a week all inclusive to menorca. I dislike eating in restaurants so went for one with a buffet. Nice pool, on the beach. Read a lot of books!

Cried the night before I flew out through anxiety and not knowing how everybody else would be with me. It was mostly spanish/ Italian families in the hotel so they just didn't 'get' an English woman on her own. But all was fine. Felt safe.

Since then I have mainly done cruises as I like seeing different places and you can choose to go on trips or wander off on your own. You can also eat with the other solo travellers, or with other people or on your own. In fact, most times some couple or group usually adopts me 🤗

I have also been on a city break to new York twice! Just do your research before you go. Went to Madeira for a week last year - was very nice. Don't think you can go too far wrong in europe, North America etc. Just be aware like you would be here.
Ooh I never thought of going on a cruise by myself! That's a good idea, thank you!

Reactions: 1
I love a cruise. Expensive as a solo, but so are hotels. Most people are really friendly on them. Some good itineraries around the med etc.

Reactions: 5
Depending on your budget and what you want from a holiday I can recommend the following. Beach Holidays for Single & Solo Travellers | Neilson
I went as a single parent and there were a few singe travellers that I hooked up with. The group activities make it very easy to meet people and the dining used to be trestle tables that you just plonked yourself on so again very easy to not look like billy no mates. I haven't yet travelled alone but defo planning to as I hate to be restricted by other peoples needs when I'm away. A friend has just come back from a Solo Iceland trip. She rented a camper van and just drove around the country,, absolutely loved it and is planning on solo Mexico now she knows she can do it.

• Heart
I like going solo. I don't think a guided trip is worth it for Europe. All info you need you can Google.

I stayed in a hostel in Prague and it was actually really nice. I met two people there with whom I spent the next few days/nights with. Great way to meet people. Look on booking. Com for ratings etc. Transport in Prague is excellent with trams all over the city.

Stayed in another hostel in Budapest and it was good also. Went in December so not many people around which was perfect. Metro there is pretty good, cheap and will get you wherever you want around the city.

My advice is just book the tickets and go. Don't think about it too much. Have fun and go sightseeing as much as you can.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Depending on your budget and what you want from a holiday I can recommend the following. Beach Holidays for Single & Solo Travellers | Neilson
I went as a single parent and there were a few singe travellers that I hooked up with. The group activities make it very easy to meet people and the dining used to be trestle tables that you just plonked yourself on so again very easy to not look like billy no mates. I haven't yet travelled alone but defo planning to as I hate to be restricted by other peoples needs when I'm away. A friend has just come back from a Solo Iceland trip. She rented a camper van and just drove around the country,, absolutely loved it and is planning on solo Mexico now she knows she can do it.
Those look great, thank you! I can totally see myself on Sardinia now...

• Heart
Japan. Super safe and amazing for solo travellers because so many places are counter seating so dining alone isn't awkward.

• Heart
a few summers ago I travelled around Italy on my own, i did a mix of hostels/airbnbs. The airbnbs I stayed mostly with locals of a similar age to me, which was great bc they were really up for showing me around etc, I've kept in contact with most of them and have seen them since! If you do a city trip i would recommend booking some free walking tours and planning things to do, therefore you won't feel too lonely and you'll be busy.
I've been many other places on my own too and I honestly find it v liberating (but a bit scary at first). I think once you do it, you'll never travel the same again and you'll be thankful for doing it! 💚

• Heart
Reactions: 6
a few summers ago I travelled around Italy on my own, i did a mix of hostels/airbnbs. The airbnbs I stayed mostly with locals of a similar age to me, which was great bc they were really up for showing me around etc, I've kept in contact with most of them and have seen them since! If you do a city trip i would recommend booking some free walking tours and planning things to do, therefore you won't feel too lonely and you'll be busy.
I've been many other places on my own too and I honestly find it v liberating (but a bit scary at first). I think once you do it, you'll never travel the same again and you'll be thankful for doing it! 💚
Exactly right. Not quite the same but 3 years ago I got a last minute tix to Wimbledon, after years of taking a bunch of kids with me and having to stay in my seat while they trotted around the grounds, it really was liberating to go there on my own, map out who I wanted to watch and drink myself silly

• Heart
I've been on holiday twice on my own, both times to Tenerife (as I'd been there before).

During the day I walked, explored, had a few pool days, people watched.

In the evening I went for dinner on my own and would go to the waterside afterwards and have a wine while watching the sea (and people) before going back to my balcony.

I went self catering, as ironically I find eating alone in hotels more awkward than cafes, bistros and restaurants outwith.

I enjoy an early start / early night on holiday and I found going solo worked for me as I could just get up and go walking as soon as I woke without waiting for anyone, or having to go back to hotels etc when others woke. My day (and in turn holiday) was my own.

I enjoyed it and never at any point felt unsafe. Even with it being the tourist area, I found being alone avoided the "oh you wanting a drink, a good time, food" kinda rep people which I appreciated.

I recommend going alone greatly and now I know I can do it myself I'll definitely be working my way through my bucket list of places to go.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I've been on holiday twice on my own, both times to Tenerife (as I'd been there before).

During the day I walked, explored, had a few pool days, people watched.

In the evening I went for dinner on my own and would go to the waterside afterwards and have a wine while watching the sea (and people) before going back to my balcony.

I went self catering, as ironically I find eating alone in hotels more awkward than cafes, bistros and restaurants outwith.

I enjoy an early start / early night on holiday and I found going solo worked for me as I could just get up and go walking as soon as I woke without waiting for anyone, or having to go back to hotels etc when others woke. My day (and in turn holiday) was my own.

I enjoyed it and never at any point felt unsafe. Even with it being the tourist area, I found being alone avoided the "oh you wanting a drink, a good time, food" kinda rep people which I appreciated.

I recommend going alone greatly and now I know I can do it myself I'll definitely be working my way through my bucket list of places to go.
I'm very similar, in that I've been to the Canaries three times, on my own.
They were my first solo holidays and felt very safe. I would recommend a package holiday as a first solo trip because having a transfer to and from the airport is comforting, it was for me anyway. I'd say any resort in Spain, Portugal or Italy, would feel safe.
I think a week is long enough, when you're on your own, I think I would have felt a bit bored if I'd stayed longer.
I was in self catering apartments because I knew wouldn't enjoy sitting in a hotel dining room on my own.
I did get chatting to people when sitting around the pool, and was even invited out for the evening with them but I'm a bit of a loner, and if that hadn't happened, it wouldn't have bothered me. I was very happy relaxing with a glass of wine on my balcony, in the evenings 🙂
You'd also get chatting to people on the day tours sold by the resort, of course.
So, I think a package holiday is a great way to try solo holidays.
I used to work with a lady who loved going away on coach tours of Australia, NZ, and South Africa. They were really expensive but she always had a great time.
I've also had some city breaks to Glasgow and London. I love museums and also went to a theatre matinee. I felt that I had plenty to do and see, and three or four days felt long enough.
One place that I stayed on my own, for a couple of days, that didn't feel safe, was Los Angeles.
The public transport just didn't feel safe, and there were beggars who were quite aggressive etc.
Having been to New York and San Francisco, with friends, I would say you would be ok there on your own, they felt safer than LA anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have travelled extensively alone and always had a ball!

European city break - I usually just book a flight and hotel/airbnb with no real plan, walk around and see the sights, try the local food and have a drink in the day. I went on airbnb experiences in one city and found someone doing a tour in English, I had a full day out sightseeing, all my pictures, food etc for about £40. In the evening I love going to somewhere really fancy and people watching. I find eating alone quite enjoyable, probably on the back of these trips.

European beach trip - Airbnb is so good for this! get somewhere with a kitchen and a shortish walk to the beach, then you can do your own breakfast/lunch. I stayed in one airbnb which had workaway staff, so ended up making friends with another Brit and we went off doing things for meals and days out with her work schedule allowing.

Further afield - I did Dubai alone by just booking hotels and flights and winging the rest because it is so westernised.
I went to India and booked through a tour company called Just You, ideal because it is for solo travellers who don't want to share a bedroom. I found the clientele were mainly all older than me, but we got on really well.

I hope you have a fab time wherever you go

• Heart
Reactions: 7