Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, it's not my place to judge dear heart, but might we give some small credit to your using bicarb which is three (3) and a half years out-of-date? A kindred frau if e'er there was.

ETA: this is not snark. My 2017 is performing perfectly. Just not with Jackipes.
I didn’t even notice! Truth be told, this isn’t my kitchen. So I’m always a bit on the back foot when I cook here. That said, I don’t think a world-class kitchen, or chef, could redeem this…

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
Lads, I did it. I made the soda bread.

I already had the ingredients, apologies for the slightly spenny ‘organic’ flour and milk (organic is a word that is not in Jack’s lexicon, I feel).

View attachment 1706815My only complaints were that she way overestimated the amount of milk/lemon juice mixture by almost a third, which meant I threw some away. Not thrift approved behaviour. Also, I missed the part where it said you could add salt for more flavour because it was buried in the purple prose that preceded the recipe and frankly, when I’m making food it’s because I’m interested in food not your bleeping life story.

Anyway, the dough came together ok. All going surprisingly well so far.

View attachment 1706819

Exactly 40 minutes later, it came out of the oven looking not too bad. I was planning my unbelievably controversial mea culpa, ready to hold my hands up and admit it wasn’t at all bad.
View attachment 1706825

BUT THEN…I caught a whiff of lingering honk! The loaf smelled like fish. I bravely ploughed on and cut into it (not easy, it’s pretty solid) and I tasted it. If it weren’t for the weird fishy taste, it would have had all the taste of thin air on sliced cardboard. Diabolical. Clever Fraus, was the honk the result of too much bicarb, on top of SR flour? Not that it really matters, even if the taste was ok it had the consistency of a brick. Thankfully, I gave some to the various animals I have, so it wasn’t entirely wasted but I would be furious if I had to bin it.

For anyone thinking of trying this, please save your time and money. I’ve taken one for the team so you don’t have to. Go well x
Yeah, soda bread wants baking soda OR self-raising flour, but not both. FFS, Jack! This should have been easy to get right :(

• Haha
Reactions: 30
@Day3TShirt I used to make soda bread a lot and I never used self raising, only ever plain. I feel like that’s quite a lot of additional bicarb if you already have SR flour.

I’ve also never made soda bread in a tin. Any recipe I’ve seen it’s a freeformed flattened ball type thing.

Reactions: 28
From the soda bread recipe…

she was too proud of herself to be cross with my cunning linguistic charms.

where to start? Why does she talk about LJC as though she’s 3 years old? And ‘cunning linguistic charms’ to describe ‘can you put some flour in a bowl for me’ is a bit of an overreach, no?
Honestly more than I dislike her cooking, I dislike her writing. Or maybe I hate them equally.
Anyway, excellent work @Day3TShirt. It looks dire.
That's a thinly veiled oral sex joke. Bit gauche, darling

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Lads, I did it. I made the soda bread.

I already had the ingredients, apologies for the slightly spenny ‘organic’ flour and milk (organic is a word that is not in Jack’s lexicon, I feel).

View attachment 1706815My only complaints were that she way overestimated the amount of milk/lemon juice mixture by almost a third, which meant I threw some away. Not thrift approved behaviour. Also, I missed the part where it said you could add salt for more flavour because it was buried in the purple prose that preceded the recipe and frankly, when I’m making food it’s because I’m interested in food not your bleeping life story.

Anyway, the dough came together ok. All going surprisingly well so far.

View attachment 1706819

Exactly 40 minutes later, it came out of the oven looking not too bad. I was planning my unbelievably controversial mea culpa, ready to hold my hands up and admit it wasn’t at all bad.
View attachment 1706825

BUT THEN…I caught a whiff of lingering honk! The loaf smelled like fish. I bravely ploughed on and cut into it (not easy, it’s pretty solid) and I tasted it. If it weren’t for the weird fishy taste, it would have had all the taste of thin air on sliced cardboard. Diabolical. Clever Fraus, was the honk the result of too much bicarb, on top of SR flour? Not that it really matters, even if the taste was ok it had the consistency of a brick. Thankfully, I gave some to the various animals I have, so it wasn’t entirely wasted but I would be furious if I had to bin it.

For anyone thinking of trying this, please save your time and money. I’ve taken one for the team so you don’t have to. Go well x
Well slopped dear heart, what's your final rating?

1- Dire
2 - Terrible
3 - Middle class
4 - Inhale greedily
5 - Ovary groaner

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Delurking to say that I could not love this thread more! It’s got it all - drama, humour, humanity, unspeakable slop mysteries…I’ve read through the recipes with my jaw on the floor, wondering why this woman hates food so much she’s able to do such awful things to it. Thyme pesto?? THYME PESTO?? Are you fkn kidding me? Anyway, you are all very brave and I’m genuinely LOLing here- thank(space)you from a very grateful New Frau 😀

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Definitely a 1 - Dire.
And it could so easily have been a 4 if she'd got the ingredients right!

Doesn't she claim to get people other than herself to test them out before the books get published? I realise that that's probably much more difficult than it seems - but it seems strange that this could have been missed.

Reactions: 22
I feel like with Jack's food hoard she'd be using out of date bicarb too so it's actually a more authentic recreation for that very reason!

We've been spoiled by these Slop Games so far.

All either terrible or dire. Who'd have thought it?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
If I've missed an anyone, please tag me again.

I think I'm up to date on all recipes but just in case.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
@Blair-Waldorf I can't get enough of this 5 minute thing
Thanks! It looks the same as the website one but I shall FORENSICALLY compare. I’m not vegan but kind of relieved that this is, so i don’t have to ingest such delights as fish paste, grated spam or blended livers.

And yes, her food writing is totally disgusting. No one who praises her can actually have read her books, right? 😦

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
I did make the headrush spaghetti but it really should be experienced by everyone, for science :devilish:

Also looking at the slops slung section didn't an intrepid frau make the black and cheese? Reveal yourself. It's ok, the onion police know it wasn't your idea, they'll only give you an onion caution.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.