Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
is there an Irish version of trolley?
Couldn't find one, only some random lads project on Reddit that doesn't work anymore

My youngest went through a phase of only eating Princes chicken in white sauce. Bleak times. I still have countless tins in the pantry, if you'd like me to send some over. I can however confirm that were you to make a white sauce and add shredded chicken breast it would be absolutely NOTHING LIKE WHAT COMES IN THE CAN.

WARNED, I guess.

Twice in one day, like a [****]. I could equally rinse the sauce off for you and then send over the remnants in loosely-sealed Tupperware. Wouldn't that be nice? No extra charge for botulism.
Thankyou for the offer dear heart, unfortunately I think posting my actual address would be slightly 🔺
It would also count as a hazardous liquid by an post
Polish_20221104_141826888.png

I ended up going to M&S as that was the most English shop I could think of. No chicken in white sauce but I did spend €4.40 on a tin of chicken curry. I am nothing if not determined to make these pickin balls. Unfortunately the curry sauce might be at risk of adding extra flavour to the chicken so I'll make sure to give it a thorough rinsing before cooking

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Couldn't find one, only some random lads project on Reddit that doesn't work anymore

Thankyou for the offer dear heart, unfortunately I think posting my actual address would be slightly 🔺
It would also count as a hazardous liquid by an post
View attachment 1703837

I ended up going to M&S as that was the most English shop I could think of. No chicken in white sauce but I did spend €4.40 on a tin of chicken curry. I am nothing if not determined to make these pickin balls. Unfortunately the curry sauce might be at risk of adding extra flavour to the chicken so I'll make sure to give it a thorough rinsing before cooking
It will probably be a more hazardous liquid after eating

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Put me down for this monstrosity: Tuna, sweetcorn and mushroom pasta. "Comfortingly sloppy" is not how I want a tuna pasta bake to be described 🤢

I know on tattle we refer to her food as slop, but I wasn't expecting Jack herself to use the term quite so liberally when describing her own cooking!

Jack, you only need to add water to *condensed* soups. They were made specifically to be diluted and used in cooking. It's not some maverick your technique your mum has come up with. In the spirit of everything is interchangeable I SHANT be using condensed soup.
And why would you want to freeze the leftovers of this soupy monstrosity? I can just imagine the consistency once defrosted...🤮

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Put me down for this monstrosity: Tuna, sweetcorn and mushroom pasta. "Comfortingly sloppy" is not how I want a tuna pasta bake to be described 🤢

I know on tattle we refer to her food as slop, but I wasn't expecting Jack herself to use the term quite so liberally when describing her own cooking!

Jack, you only need to add water to *condensed* soups. They were made specifically to be diluted and used in cooking. It's not some maverick your technique your mum has come up with. In the spirit of everything is interchangeable I SHANT be using condensed soup.
Gah. When I was a student in the 90s I lived on things made with Campbell's condensed soup. It was brilliant! She really doesn't realise that's what her mum was using. Idiot

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Two potatoes to serve four, with leftovers?
Brace yourself for a feast @InTheVillage
Two potatoes or 2x 500g tinned potatoes... gotta find monster 500g each potatoes! Wasn't someone saying she said 2 potatoes were the equivalent of 40g in another recipe. WFK!

Normally a 4-person recipe would do three servings for me and my OH (he hasn't LEFT) one each for dinner (we both have actual manual jobs) and one for my lunch the next day. We shall have the recommended amount and see how far it goes. I may even try her tip of stirring pasta through the leftovers to stretch it further. That would DEFINITELY make me sleepy 😴

I think I'll be cooking this one weekend but won't be until next weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Gah. When I was a student in the 90s I lived on things made with Campbell's condensed soup. It was brilliant! She really doesn't realise that's what her mum was using. Idiot
Surely there's tons of things with condensed soup slopped in in Georgia Church Suppers. Could... Could this mean she's not read it?! 🤯

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Hello Frauen,
Just wanted to pop on to say thank you for this thread, it is getting me through the hell that is covid!
Thank you all for your hard work and devotion to the cause!
Much love an actual German Frau (hope that isn't too 🔺)!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
Feel better soon @Sweetpea2 .

Since the start of this thread my depression has lifted quite a bit and I'm loving the sense of community as we all get ready do our slopalongs. My mind is busy and so keeping away darker things.

it's also a chance to showcase Jack's recipes for what they are.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Hello Frauen,
Just wanted to pop on to say thank you for this thread, it is getting me through the hell that is covid!
Thank you all for your hard work and devotion to the cause!
Much love an actual German Frau (hope that isn't too 🔺)!
Hope you feel better soon! Can I ask how weird it is to have random German Words flying about? (I've capitalised both nouns there for ease of comprehension in your feverish state)

Sorry to be off-topic in the off-topic. Meta.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Hope you feel better soon! Can I ask how weird it is to have random German Words flying about? (I've capitalised both nouns there for ease of comprehension in your feverish state)

mackie called us sad haus fraus, it has stuck along with mavens and mithering ninnies

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Feel better soon @Sweetpea2 .

Since the start of this thread my depression has lifted quite a bit and I'm loving the sense of community as we all get ready do our slopalongs. My mind is busy and so keeping away darker things.

it's also a chance to showcase Jack's recipes for what they are.
Thank you ❤ avoided it for over 2 years. But it's properly hit me, probably because of asthma. But my dearest OH (who has yet to leave me) is waiting on me hand and foot and will be cooking some not-slop for dinner, so I'm sure that will help!

Going to 🔺 some more and say that I actually went to school in Southend (unfortunately the other grammar school so I don't have any tea, but probably fortunate for me! This is why I found Jack so interesting at the beginning, but now I see the grift! ) so the random German words make me chuckle.

To bring back on topic, has Jack done any German themed recipes which I could recreate (perhaps a Stollen, something involving Sauerkraut? (Although for the latter I do have to add a disclaimer that I will refuse to taste test myself as Sauerkraut is the work of the devil imo)

• Heart
Reactions: 34
@Sweetpea2 I believe there's a black forest traybake which could be right up your strasse when you're up to it x
This sounds intriguing, does anyone have the recipe? I can see I am going to get many unamused sighs from my OH (the German sense of humour does unfortunately not agree with such trivial things! And he is already slightly annoyed by my laughing at this thread rapidly turning into a hacking cough!) but I reckon it could be a good use of my time in quarantine if I have all the ingredients (which is possible as a good German I have a well stocked cellar)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
@Notmycat - according to her blog, Ultimate Lasagne is in CoaBS but doesn’t seem to appear in the recipe list. Can you confirm please dear heart?

Also I have all my ingredients (had to go to M&S for fresh thyme as Lidl didn’t have it) so will be cooking tomorrow.

In her blog and on the bbc website, horse spunk lasagne involves making a béchamel sauce. But I feel in the interests of authenticity I should follow the method she used in DKL which patently won’t work.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Alas, Mr Beacon came back from his weekly posh wanker excursion to Waitrose and the farm shop without the ingredients for our bake (I suspect sabotage on his part...) It will have to be next weekend unless I can get what we need from the little shop in the village.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.