Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she means mane of hair rather than mania of hair as well.
She's being writerly for duck's sake!!! Can't you read mania of hair and dig Jack's deft touch with words? It's bleeping art, man, art!!!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
Well done to the Fraus who made something. I did think the bread @House of Carbonara made may come out edible but her recipes are so bad she can’t even get that right!

I’ll make the lemon cakes on Saturday. I very rarely cook so may be wrong but 2 eggs seems a lot for only 100g of flour but I will follow the recipe exactly!

Reactions: 31
She giving these recipes away FOR FREE! Povs should be grateful for anything they get. So what if none of it makes sense, they probably can't read anyway.
Sadly that probably is how she's been getting away with it. Her middle-class supporters never try the recipes and if a Poor says they don't work then obviously that Poor is too stupid and/or lazy to make it work properly. Everyone knows Poors are too thick to be able to cook, right? That's why we need all these Jack Monroe books, after all.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 45
Yeah I think you’re probably right, and I don’t think anything is tested properly. Which pisses me off in an ordinary recipe, there’s a Nigella cake recipe that is just WRONG and that bugs me. But when you‘re target market is allegedly people without much cash, risking their food budget for the week is unforgivable.
Exactly this. She can't cook for toffee, thinks she's so clever she can say whatever she likes and it will be believed, and her sycophantic followers believe the sun shines out of her backside. It would be hilariously funny if it wasn't for the fact that her so called recipes are aimed at the poorest, most vulnerable in society. People that cannot afford to waste money or ingredients. Makes me livid.😡

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 28
Blending courgettes with oil and marmalade?? 😂
The thing is that in her other recipe she grates and then squeezes the water out of them, which is what I think should be done, but not in this recipe so it will be stodgy and heavy as hell. I think I need to buy marmalade so it will have to be the weekend when I make it.

(Btw I chop herbs in a mug with scissors, it works really well and is quicker and less messy, it's probably the only thing she's got right)

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I’m obsessed with every last one of you. Absolutely sublime.

I screenshotted the recipe lists and chose one at random by stabbing the screen and zooming in. Mega thanks to @Notmycat for this FORENSIC work and also, lol, RIP my camera roll:

8757872C-C8BC-40A8-AB1F-F76F807BA8A9.jpeg

Please, @That Forensic Man, can I have rhubarb and custard pancakes for my sins? And please can you share the recipe @Notmycat. Thank space you.

I don’t like custard so I really am starting on the back foot here.

Will make next week as am out of office 🔺 at the mo.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
@IcanSpellBéchamel Brie and bacon risotto
Thankspaceyou! Very different quantities to the recipe on the website, though both purport to serve 2.

Book/website:
Bacon - 150g /100g
Onion - 1/0.5
Rice - 180g/140g
Brie - 60g/40g
(the remaining ingredients are the same quantities)

Would the canal advise to use the book recipe quantities or the website quantities?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Thankspaceyou! Very different quantities to the recipe on the website, though both purport to serve 2.

Book/website:
Bacon - 150g /100g
Onion - 1/0.5
Rice - 180g/140g
Brie - 60g/40g
(the remaining ingredients are the same quantities)

Would the canal advise to use the book recipe quantities or the website quantities?
Combination of both as all quantities and ingredients are interchangeable

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.