Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It would seem fitting that I attempt the Pumble. But I think it’s been done before from memory? This thread is like sunshine for the soul. Thanks to all the brave fraus already on their slop mission 🥰
Please make sure you’ve read up on Pumble care for after you’ve made it. A Pumble is for life and not just for slop-along. If you post a pic of it we’ll want to know you are grooming it.
I love Pumble so much it has become a verb, an object and an animal. To pumble, answers on a pumble, don’t feed the Pumble. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
I'm sorry not to have been able to engage more fully as I endured my slopalong challenge. It may feel counter-intuitive to have to stir something in a slow cooker every few minutes for an hour, but we are where we are.

Ingredients:
Full marks for me here. I already had milk, sugar, peanut butter and long grain rice. Fortunately, I'd procured tap water yesterday, so we were all set.
10/10

Recipe:
Fairly clear, albeit I worried initially that the milk I had painstakingly measured would idle next the slow cooker. The method only called for the occasional splash if the "rice pudding" appeared to be sticking. Fortunately, I'd have ample opportunity for the milk. None remains.

8/10

Process:
Very hard to catch up on admin when having to stir constantly.

1/10

Texture:

Well, there's definitely a texture. Imagine eating most of a lasagne, waiting half an hour, going back for seconds and then the very next mouthful has a pube in it which curls around your epiglottis and makes you regurgitate earlier stuff. Just like that.

1/10

Taste:

Would have been almost edible without the peanut butter. However, peanut butter is the mainstay of the taste profile. So, with regret: 1/10.

Visual appeal:

Have you seen the photos? 10/10

(thanks for the broccoli love. You can substitute dandelions in a pinch)

All in all.....

2 = Terrible @That Forensic Man

God speed you, Frauen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 126
It would seem fitting that I attempt the Pumble. But I think it’s been done before from memory? This thread is like sunshine for the soul. Thanks to all the brave fraus already on their slop mission 🥰
I made the pumble and tbh it's not worth it. It's not in the so bad it's funny camp, it's just:

* bland as duck
* clearly untested (recipe tells you to slice the pears which is stupid, they should be diced. It's very hard to eat)
* nothing to do with the pumble photo. The pumble photo clearly shows pastry that has been moulded onto the pie tin and baked. The recipe does not do this.

Make it if you're tempted, but it's a real damp squib of a Jack recipe. No one ever put their marriage at risk by making a pumble, which is really what we want from Jack's food.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
In reviews can they also say how many actual non-pixie human size portions you end up with please brave sloppers

Reactions: 36
In reviews can they also say how many actual non-pixie human size portions you end up with please brave sloppers
Consider me chastised.
The peanut butter milk rice pudding would, in my pumble opinion, serve one particularly desperate human. Or, in the alternative, an infinite number of palate-retaining people.

• Haha
Reactions: 62
I made the pumble and tbh it's not worth it. It's not in the so bad it's funny camp, it's just:

* bland as duck
* clearly untested (recipe tells you to slice the pears which is stupid, they should be diced. It's very hard to eat)
* nothing to do with the pumble photo. The pumble photo clearly shows pastry that has been moulded onto the pie tin and baked. The recipe does not do this.

Make it if you're tempted, but it's a real damp squib of a Jack recipe. No one ever put their marriage at risk by making a pumble, which is really what we want from Jack's food.
Yeah you’ve got to ride the wave. Harold may actually LEAVE once I’ve ruined both chicken soup AND chicken dinner for him for no reason and tried to pass a stuffing ball off as a dumpling. I’m gonna sit there going ‘it’s a bleeping DUMPLING HAROLD! Do you want me to stop BREATHING?’ Sip of wine. 😏

• Haha
Reactions: 37
@HaveTinCanRattle I made the mistake of reading your texture thoughts while eating my concoction 🤢🤮
Thank you for the great write-up format!

I'll try and post mine later today

IMG_20221103_125826.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 122
Ok, I’m going to join you dirty slop recreating deviants. I’ll do the oily bowl of bile- oops, sorry, the broccoli stalk and barley soup.
B6EC9515-EB23-4A02-A8BC-6D0BF7856100.jpeg

Put me down for the Fisting Come to Bed Carbonara too. If all goes well with that one, Mr Vali’s in for a treat that night… 👊

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 71
Link to the wiki, feel free to edit or tag me and I can do the honours ✍

We need to 🔺 recipes for:
Vegan crackling
Afterbirth oats

And allocate the following tributes/requests from:
@Whaa? Veg peeling loaf (extra points if the creator tastes it)
@Nottonightbabe Mandarin and yogurt pasta
@Notmycat Eggy cup

Recipe ideas:
Please can you add upside down fish pie for me please tender one? x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I'm sorry not to have been able to engage more fully as I endured my slopalong challenge. It may feel counter-intuitive to have to stir something in a slow cooker every few minutes for an hour, but we are where we are.

Ingredients:
Full marks for me here. I already had milk, sugar, peanut butter and long grain rice. Fortunately, I'd procured tap water yesterday, so we were all set.
10/10

Recipe:
Fairly clear, albeit I worried initially that the milk I had painstakingly measured would idle next the slow cooker. The method only called for the occasional splash if the "rice pudding" appeared to be sticking. Fortunately, I'd have ample opportunity for the milk. None remains.

8/10

Process:
Very hard to catch up on admin when having to stir constantly.

1/10

Texture:

Well, there's definitely a texture. Imagine eating most of a lasagne, waiting half an hour, going back for seconds and then the very next mouthful has a pube in it which curls around your epiglottis and makes you regurgitate earlier stuff. Just like that.

1/10

Taste:

Would have been almost edible without the peanut butter. However, peanut butter is the mainstay of the taste profile. So, with regret: 1/10.

Visual appeal:

Have you seen the photos? 10/10

(thanks for the broccoli love. You can substitute dandelions in a pinch)

All in all.....

2 = Terrible @That Forensic Man

God speed you, Frauen.
Incredible work and props to your props! 🤣 I feel a fool now for bunging a rice pud in the oven and ignoring it. I forgot how much I love constant stirring-especially when using a gadget made to stop that process being necessary.
She’s such a fraud.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
There's a problem with your spoons dear heart. There's no rust or verdigris and they have evidently been washed.

ETA they don't have weird handles that would be horrible to hold either.
Ah, evidently this is why I don't make the big bucks with my cooking. I shall bury them in the garden for a while and try again 😔

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.