Slopalong #3 She doesn't understand beans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I want slut spaghetti to go with my slapper semolina now. Also who the fuck is leaving Nigella for that braying horse Trinny
Charles Saatchi the abusive domestic abuser

They usually come out the day after Xmas. I once saw them on Xmas eve, which made an excellent talking/tutting point for my Nan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27
I have not been in the fire service for many years, but is carrying a hot pan of hot oil advisable? I was taught to move it off the heat and put the lid on it.
The bit about not pouring cold water on it is sound, I'll give her that.

Reactions: 32
I cant believe she wrote that. Absolutely do not lift a pan of hot oil off the oven if it is on fire.
The relevant quote:
"If a pan of food or chip pan catches fire do not attempt to remove it from the stove, it could give you terrible burns if incorrectly handled.
Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so, but never lean over the pan to the controls, switch off the supply at the meter if necessary."

Put the metal lid on if it is only smoking and is safe to do so, as this will smother the flames before they get going. Or throw a fire blanket over it, I 100% feel every kitchen should have a fire blanket in it, it can save lives. Do not throw water or use a standard fire extinguisher as the force of it will case the burning oil to spatter or explode outwards If the kitchen has a "Wet Chemical" extinguisher use that, they look like this in the UK:

Reactions: 24
Just to say that I made minestrone soup this week. I compared it to @BlendedSlop tinestrone. I used fresh veg, borlotti beans from a can, nice pasta, organic stock cubes, and added in some cavolo Nero and it still probably worked out around the same price. It served 2 of us very comfortably as well as Mr Laz taking some for lunch at work today, and some for my lunch later too

My minestrone recipe could definitely be cheapened and would still be more satisfying than Jack’s, I’m sure of it.
Didn’t mean that to sound like a humble brag, apols if it came across as such.

Reactions: 29
FIRST OF ALL there's no way Jack made these

This is what battered anchovies are meant to look like - more like whitebait than whatever the hell the above is.

SECOND OF ALL you can't batter tinned anchovies. Dickhead.

but dear heart i need to know - what actually happens when you fry bacon in lemon juice?!!

Reactions: 22
I once ate a battered whitebait thinking it was something else. Worst thing that’s ever happened to my mouth and I include the bindaloo in that. Can’t understand why people like the taste of any fish.

Reactions: 18
I once ate a battered whitebait thinking it was something else. Worst thing that’s ever happened to my mouth and I include the bindaloo in that. Can’t understand why people like the taste of any fish.
I, OTOH, was absolutely ENTHRALLED when one of my mum's friends made the for me for the first time ever, I must have been about 10 but the memory is burned in my brain. Absolutely love the salty little buggers.

Omg the hot oil advice! Can we add that to the list of dangerous things she’s promoted in the kitchen as well as the botulism etc?

Reactions: 33
but dear heart i need to know - what actually happens when you fry bacon in lemon juice?!!
I just been back to double check - I fried a bit of bacon with lemon juice and diced courgette. The lemon evaporated. Without the chilli of the recipe the courgette tasted acidy not lemony. So pointless.

Cost for a meal for one £2.87 so gonna give it 3 middle class.

It made me think how hard it is to write a recipe - especially one claiming to be cheap and easy. Jack is not sensitive to her readers circumstances being different from her own. And too lazy to double check the text . And too defensive to accept feedback. And too dishonest.

Reactions: 20
I just made That Man's sweet potato, spinach & chick pea meecrowaaahveeee curry from his £1 meals selection. It is beautiful.
He's so clever because he grates the base ingredients which has the effect of allowing it to cook fast but with intense flavour. All timings and processes worked to the letter for me and my equipment. Just realised it is vegan too if you don't add the optional yoghurt (which I haven't bothered with) and it is a substantial meal for two; more for less-greedy people. Obviously it's been thoroughly researched and tested - lovely, I recommend.

ps @That Forensic Man , I donated 3 advent calendars from my kids to the local foodbank following their specific appeal plus ketchup and sugar - £4.50 cash value (I already had sugar and ketchup at home to donate so haven't included that value). Also just a minor FORENSIC detail I know you'll want corrected, my rillettes was from the Asda version of Tin Can Cook, thank you my dear x

eta: vegan clarification

Last edited:
Omg the hot oil advice! Can we add that to the list of dangerous things she’s promoted in the kitchen as well as the botulism etc?
It’s terrifying! Why would you suggest anyone walk anywhere with a pan of oil that’s about to go on fire?! It’s a scenario from the first ten minutes of an episode of Casualty!

Chapeau! Though I’m a bit sad you didn’t let MH hoik herself up onto the work surface to generate a bit of heart warming ‘why not expose your child to social media’ content.
Slightly outing but Miss Heastlanda is taller than me (she's 5 foot 9). The only way she is getting up on the worktops is if she folds herself in half first to squish under the cupboards cos she ain't fitting any other way.

yes but what you fail to understand dearheart, is that poor people can’t afford graters and some people can’t use graters due to illnesses or injuries. (These people can’t be vegan as they need to wear leather hats to help with the issue). So as you’ve just proved, Jamie’s recipes only serve to show off his enormous level of privilege.

This is such dangerously bad advice, if any water or the wet towel touches the oil it's gonna flash meaning you'd drop the pan and it's gonna explode everywhere including all over you
Using a wet tea towel on the handle means all the heat will be transferred to your hand, compared to a dry towel or nothing, so you're more likely to pick it up and then realise it's too hot to hold (because of the wet towel) and then drop it.
And she's so extraordinarily fire conscious as to routinely leave flammable objects on the gas hob and put stupid little cabinet locks on doors, what an absolute twat.

Yes, absolutely x

Thankyou tender one!

Reactions: 34
I've been thinking about this and the advice is somehow more dangerous because she mentions being in the fire service, so she gives her stupidly dangerous advice a veneer of being good advice.

updated jack's hazard slops list:

Letting rice sit on the side for ages instead of cooling quickly - allows lots of Bacillus cereus bacteria to grow and give you the shits/food poisoning peanut milk rice pudding
frying tinned potatoes - they can explode due to the water content hot nicoise
storing/infusing herbs in oil - risk of botulism Whoa F*ck Dressing
Microwaving stone fruits to ripen - explodey, doesn't work, could fuck up your microwave microwave ripening fruits
sprout scones because cooked (painstakingly) by the instructions they are fucking raw
Beer battered sardines: advocates that in case of carrying a flaming pan of hot oil outside while holding it with a wet dishcloth is a good/fire service approved idea ...NEVER do this, place a damp NOT sopping wet teatowel over the top to smother the flames or use a fire extinguisher if you're fancy. Risk of SEVERE burns and immolating your shitty bungalow using her method

Not sure if the wiki has been updated with these, i can do it if noone minds me tinkering

Reactions: 26
Feel free tender one, I was thinking it's not necessarily related to the slopalong itself so probably wants to go in page 2 after "fake recipes" as dangerous advice or something.
ETA but I will add a link to it on the slopalong for awareness and also going to add a thing about people not eating any slops that they think could be risky, it's not worth it! WARNED.

I've been thinking about this and the advice is somehow more dangerous because she mentions being in the fire service, so she gives her stupidly dangerous advice a veneer of being good advice.
Exactly and actual professionals know it's always best to signpost to the proper advice that has been checked and verified etc. versus trying to explain it all over again, telling people outdated stuff etc. but Jack never signposts anything or misses an opportunity to brag.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
Has anyone tried the Energy Saving Cassoulet yet?

I was going to make something sausage-stew related this weekend anyway, and am fully prepared to wrap up a casserole dish in my dressing gown as part of the cooking process. In the interests of THE SLOPALONG, and of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH.