Slopalong #3 She doesn't understand beans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for everything you've done tender one x

Scores on the doors:
Fruit Cocktail Cake - 1
Courgette Sultana and Lemon Bread - 1
Lardy cake/buns - 2.5
Chocolate pear cake - 1

With the benefit of hindsight and the memory of the heartburn that followed the lardy buns, could I bring that score down to 1.5.
And the courgette bread really needs to be a zero now.
Sometimes you need to have a few slops to gain wisdom and perspective.
Slop on 🤘

• Heart
Reactions: 29
With the benefit of hindsight and the memory of the heartburn that followed the lardy buns, could I bring that score down to 1.5.
And the courgette bread really needs to be a zero now.
Sometimes you need to have a few slops to gain wisdom and perspective.
Slop on 🤘
Yes, absolutely x

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Me too. You’d be better putting the pears at the bottom of the tin and putting cake mix on top and baking it. I’ve served that with custard before.
And it would be so much nicer to keep the pears whole too. She takes nice ingredients like that and annihilates them. Why??? 😕

• Sad
Reactions: 17
This seems like it might be the best place to ask this question, because it seems like the group has an entire collection of JM's books.

Does she tell her readers at any point how to grow cuttings (for example, the ends of green onions) to make more food and save seeds (eg squash both to eat and to grow the next year)? Anything like that?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
This seems like it might be the best place to ask this question, because it seems like the group has an entire collection of JM's books.

Does she tell her readers at any point how to grow cuttings (for example, the ends of green onions) to make more food and save seeds (eg squash both to eat and to grow the next year)? Anything like that?
Oh dear heart, she doesn’t even tell them all the steps in a recipe! She doesn’t tell them to warm the oil before adding the onion. She does mention repeatedly that she grows herbs and chard.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Oh dear heart, she doesn’t even tell them all the steps in a recipe! She doesn’t tell them to warm the oil before adding the onion. She does mention repeatedly that she grows herbs and chard.
All herbs are interchangeable, right?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
They grow on her window sill so they're FREE

Not that I've seen tender one x

Reactions: 11
I made the prune smoothie.

Full confession: I own this book (Tin Can Cook), I liked the concept, I think it could be a really clever book in the right hands. I was expecting chilli with tinned beans, lentil bolognese, nice curries that sort of thing. I like tinned fruit. I had tinned prunes at a hotel breakfast buffet and they were quite nice.

First the ingredients
IMG_9275.jpeg

Prunes £1
Oats £2
Milk £2.15

I halved the recipe and had lots of everything left over, the full recipe probably uses about a third of a tin of fruit.

Method
Put it all in the blender and blend

Result
IMG_9276 (1).jpeg

It formed a slightly lump liquid, and tasted really sweet and a bit like raw oats. It was edible but not great. I don't know the consequences of consuming raw oats.

Overall I just don't see the point. The prunes weren't that cheap, a banana would have made a better smoothie. The oats were a bit weird tasting. Given those ingredients I'd make porridge instead which would be more filling and warming.

Do people really donate tinned prunes to foodbanks? It seems like a bit of a dick move.

I will update on any side effects as they occur

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 56

Full confession: I own this book (Tin Can Cook), I liked the concept, I think it could be a really clever book in the right hands. I was expecting chilli with tinned beans, lentil bolognese, nice curries that sort of thing. I like tinned fruit. I had tinned prunes at a hotel breakfast buffet and they were quite nice.

First the ingredients View attachment 1758669

Prunes £1
Oats £2
Milk £2.15

I halved the recipe and had lots of everything left over, the full recipe probably uses about a third of a tin of fruit.

Method

Result
View attachment 1758676

It formed a slightly lump liquid, and tasted really sweet and a bit like raw oats. It was edible but not great. I don't know the consequences of consuming raw oats.

Overall I just don't see the point. The prunes weren't that cheap, a banana would have made a better smoothie. The oats were a bit weird tasting. Given those ingredients I'd make porridge instead which would be more filling and warming.

Do people really donate tinned prunes to foodbanks? It seems like a bit of a dick move.

Thank you for all that you do. Now please move that milk away from the edge of the counter! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 37

Prunes £1
Oats £2
Milk £2.15

Method

Result
View attachment 1758676

I'd reserve judgement until the prunes have spoken for themselves

Go well, pal x

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 30

Prunes £1
Oats £2
Milk £2.15

Method

Result
View attachment 1758676

Jack did, didn’t she?

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 12

First the ingredients 

Prunes £1

Oats £2

Milk £2.15

Method

Result

I will update on any side effects as tit's hey occur

Raw oats are fine to eat, so only the prunes to worry about

Reactions: 9
I know the answer to this because it's Jack but surely, if she wants to help people on a tight budget, it would be better to do cake recipes using packet mixes with lots of ideas to jazz them up? Asda's sponge mix is 45p. I used to bake a lot when my son was small and also make family birthday cakes - it's really expensive!

Reactions: 27
Okay it’s been 2 weeks since I cooked the kidney bean and pineapple curry. I’ve been offline (it may or may not have been linked to the curry) but I am here with pics - I know you have all been waiting with baited breath.

I need to read the scoring system but I’ve gotta tell you it was bleeping foul

The Gaviscon chaser was the best bit 🤣

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 49

Prunes £1
Oats £2
Milk £2.15

Method

Result
View attachment 1758676

I imagine consuming this would have the effect of both blocking you up & "loosening" you at the same time. :confused:

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Okay it’s been 2 weeks since I cooked the kidney bean and pineapple curry. I’ve been offline (it may or may not have been linked to the curry) but I am here with pics - I know you have all been waiting with baited breath.

We were a bit worried it had taken you out. Glad you survived the experience

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Kidney bean and pineapple!!! 🤢 I don’t think that would ever work. In Jack’s hands I dread to think what it was like.

• Wow
Reactions: 17