Slopalong #3 She doesn't understand beans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This seems like it might be the best place to ask this question, because it seems like the group has an entire collection of JM's books.

Does she tell her readers at any point how to grow cuttings (for example, the ends of green onions) to make more food and save seeds (eg squash both to eat and to grow the next year)? Anything like that?
I searched thro all the books as they are all on my kindle and no mention of growing cuttings especially like spring onions as you need absolutely no green fingers or special equipment for it, clean jam jar, add water, add onion and wait. One and done.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This seems like it might be the best place to ask this question, because it seems like the group has an entire collection of JM's books.

Does she tell her readers at any point how to grow cuttings (for example, the ends of green onions) to make more food and save seeds (eg squash both to eat and to grow the next year)? Anything like that?
Jack gardens as well as she cooks, dear tenderstem. This year alone she sowed tomatoes in June (never spoken of again), sowed radish seed thinking they were chard and claimed to have an eight year old chard plant which is botanically impossible.

Actually, it's probably a blessing Jack doesn't share her maverick gardening tips in the books. Monty Don can sleep soundly.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
s
I searched thro all the books as they are all on my kindle and no mention of growing cuttings especially like spring onions as you need absolutely no green fingers or special equipment for it, clean jam jar, add water, add onion and wait. One and done.
Sigh. Another missed opportunity.

I thought of her yesterday when I spotted an article on the King Arthur Baking website on adaptations for baking with chronic fatigue and other disabilities. Some of the suggestions were quite clever and inexpensive (e.g. modifying utensil handles with pool noodles) and could easily have found a place in GFFBD (if I am understanding the thrust of that book correctly).

Reactions: 18
Last night I made Jacks Lemon Curd Sponge Puddings. I picked this recipe as I had every ingredient already so it was FREE and I thought such a simple recipe may actually work. Spoiler, it did not.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2013/04/05/lemon-curd-sponge-puddings-24p/

100g self raising flour
70g butter
2 eggs
50g sugar
Splash of lemon juice
8 heaped teaspoons of lemon curd

It doesn’t mention what size eggs or what kind of sugar. I went with the large eggs I had and caster sugar.

View attachment 1733670

First mix the butter and sugar. Add the lemon juice (It’s pointless adding the suggested “few shakes of lemon juice” as you can’t taste it)

Then add eggs and flour -

View attachment 1733676

View attachment 1733690

“Mix well with a fork or wooden spoon to create a smooth, glossy batter.”

View attachment 1733677

It was fairly smooth but beating in the eggs then flour would have been better.

View attachment 1733698

The method says to add a generous dollop of lemon curd and the recipe states 8 teaspoons so I added 2 teaspoons to each bowl.

Next add the cake batter on top till 2/3 full

View attachment 1733699

Jack says to cook them for 30 minutes. After 10 I had a peeky mink through the oven glass and they looked like this

View attachment 1733703

Well that’s the baking tray fucked

View attachment 1733720

Another 10 minutes went by and they were cooked. Another 10 minutes as suggested would have burnt them

View attachment 1733723
(just realised I used cake forks instead of spoons but all cutlery is interchangeable)

View attachment 1733728

They look ok but the burnt lemon curd on top isn’t good and the sponge has a really weird texture.

Ingredients - I had everything so not sure on the cost but 6 ingredients isn’t bad. Marked down for not stating which sugar or size of egg to use. Also needs more lemon juice. 3/5

Recipe - Easy to follow but, according to google as I’m no baker, the eggs/flour should have been beaten in to avoid the eggy flavour. Plus maybe putting the lemon curd in the middle might have stopped it either oozing out or sticking to the bottom. 30 minutes cooking time is too long. 2/5

Visual Appeal - Seen worse seen better. 3/5

Texture - Like rubbery sponge but also wet and hard at the same time! 0/5

Taste - Egg. Inexplicably eggy. With the slightest hint of lemon at the end. I fear I’ll be tasting this for days like our poor @MancBee and his soup.
0/5

Overall - 1/5 DIRE. I could have just about forced it down if someone made it for me and I had to be polite.
OH rated it 0 dogshit, couldn’t have eaten it even to be nice!
The quantities of the ingredients are all wrong for a sponge, I make lots of sponge puddings, I make a basic sponge (equal quantaties of all the ingredients, the traditional way it to weigh the eggs in the shell and then add the same amounts of the other ingredients). I generally do the all in one method where all the ingredients go in a bowl and they are beaten together, the only difference is that I add milk to make a softer dropping consistency than for a sponge cake.

Jack seems unaware that lemon juice won't work to add lemon flavour in this, you need grated lemon zest but as she has an aversion to fresh lemons she won't know that.

I want slut spaghetti to go with my slapper semolina now. Also who the duck is leaving Nigella for that braying horse Trinny
It was Charles Saatchi who was abusive to nigella

Last edited:
Reactions: 24
I have not been in the fire service for many years, but is carrying a hot pan of hot oil advisable? I was taught to move it off the heat and put the lid on it.
The bit about not pouring cold water on it is sound, I'll give her that.

View attachment 1737133
No no no, that is totally the wrong thing to do, turn off the flame and then put a damp well rung tea towel to totally cover the top, then leave it too cool down. Jack obviously didn't watch the public information films, mind you I think they were from the 70s. My mum did, and managed to put our elderly neighbours chip pan fire out for her. She heard her shouting and ran round and just did it.

Lots of people were seriously injured and died trying to move pans outside like that, even with a damp tea towel on top as they could fall off.

Would I be allowed to make the Georgia Suppers Ham Ball for slopalong? View attachment 1744315
My lovely American friend (sadly no longer with is) used to make a very similar ball but with cheese, fraus, it was delicious. It was always a treat going round for food as she made things I'd never had before but are common now, things like wedges, crispy potato skins and a proper cheesecake, oh and onion rings, God the onion rings! I miss her so much. Unlike Jack she was a bloody good cook

Due to not giving a cooker and as cooking pasta using a camping stove eats gas horrendously, I cook pasta using the pasta/boiling water/cover with a plate method - I think I actually got it from Jack.

It does work, and is particularly handy as you can just leave it unattended and get on with doing other stuff rather than making sure the water doesn't boil over etc.

As ever, however, her timings are off. I find it takes two lots of boiling water to cook the pasta properly, but as long as you're not in a hurry - and I rarely am as pasta is not a favourite thing I eat often - it's fine and a tip I'm grateful for. So thankspaceyou Jack (sorry frauen und herren).
That was a Tupperware top tip from the 70s and 80s, so like most things and nicked it off someone else

Last edited:
  • Heart
Good morning all.

I'm hoping to do the Carbrienara this weekend. Apologies for the delay - I have had the world's worst cold and spent the week at death's door, wailing and weeping, furiously garnering handfuls of men's size tissues and gently, painstakingly wiping my nose while working eleventy billion hours behind the scenes doing *gestures vaguely*. Please don't offer advice as whatever it is I'm sure I've completed it mate. Do you want me stop breathing, etc etc.

Yours
(Bit under the weather of Slopland)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
Good morning all.

I'm hoping to do the Carbrienara this weekend. Apologies for the delay - I have had the world's worst cold and spent the week at death's door, wailing and weeping, furiously garnering handfuls of men's size tissues and gently, painstakingly wiping my nose while working eleventy billion hours behind the scenes doing *gestures vaguely*. Please don't offer advice as whatever it is I'm sure I've completed it mate. Do you want me stop breathing, etc etc.

Yours
(Bit under the weather of Slopland)
Viel Glück, meine Frau! I am intrigued to see this one

Reactions: 9
Well I'm hoping it will be edible if a bit claggy. The recipes says use yoghurt or cream but after the mandarin pasta vomit-fest I SHAN'T be using yoghurt which would truly make it dire

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Well I'm hoping it will be edible if a bit claggy. The recipes says use yoghurt or cream but after the mandarin pasta vomit-fest I SHAN'T be using yoghurt which would truly make it dire
Her insistence that yogurt is the same as cream makes me want to scream. All dairy is NOT interchangeable

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
You should know by now, dear heart, that ALL ingredients are interchangeable.
Herbs? All the same.
Dairy? All comes from a cow doesn’t it?
Veg? As long as it’s the same colour.
Beans? Don’t even ask.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I feel I should probably admit that I made the carrot cumin and kidney bean burgers once but I substituted a few things cos all things are interchangeable. Innit.

First I substituted the carrot for plum tomatoes (fresh ones), the kidney beans were swapped for chickpeas (tinned but drained), the onion was as per the recipe but a red onion and a diced yellow pepper were added, and the cumin was swapped for smoked paprika and I used a bit of flour and egg to bind it all up before frying.

I served it with baby spinach, sliced tomato, and grated cheese on a toasted bun and accompanied it with sticks of potato which I had fried in a large amount of oil and tomato sauce from Asda because I'm not a heathen. I didn't drink tea/shandy/vinegar with it cos I don't hate myself.

It was actually lovely, I attribute that to the fact that the recipe I ended up with was far from the original by Jack.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
I feel I should probably admit that I made the carrot cumin and kidney bean burgers once but I substituted a few things cos all things are interchangeable. Innit.

First I substituted the carrot for plum tomatoes (fresh ones), the kidney beans were swapped for chickpeas (tinned but drained), the onion was as per the recipe but a red onion and a diced yellow pepper were added, and the cumin was swapped for smoked paprika and I used a bit of flour and egg to bind it all up before frying.

I served it with baby spinach, sliced tomato, and grated cheese on a toasted bun and accompanied it with sticks of potato which I had fried in a large amount of oil and tomato sauce from Asda because I'm not a heathen. I didn't drink tea/shandy/vinegar with it cos I don't hate myself.

It was actually lovely, I attribute that to the fact that the recipe I ended up with was far from the original by Jack.
I made them years ago and the recipe is just plain wrong, the beans don’t get to the texture she says they will the way she cooks them so the burgers don’t hold together even long enough to be put in the pan. I had to change a lot and added loads more herbs and spices and they were ‘okay’ 🤷🏻‍♀️

At this point you’d almost expect her to make a working recipe by mistake.

• Haha
Jack gardens as well as she cooks, dear tenderstem. This year alone she sowed tomatoes in June (never spoken of again), sowed radish seed thinking they were chard and claimed to have an eight year old chard plant which is botanically impossible.

Actually, it's probably a blessing Jack doesn't share her maverick gardening tips in the books. Monty Don can sleep soundly.
She was very patronising when talking to Adam frost I seem to recall

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Oh yes, she was horrid to Adam Frost as I recall. She said something like “you’re getting used to this TV thing”. When he was a far more experienced broadcaster than her. She was snarky about Monty too, cos he has a big garden, or something. How dare he.

An aside: Does anyone know why our profile pics suddenly have Jewish kippah? Hanukkah isn’t til 18 December. It did start on 28 Nov last year (2021) though. Is this a duck-up? 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Oh yes, she was horrid to Adam Frost as I recall. She said something like “you’re getting used to this TV thing”. When he was a far more experienced broadcaster than her. She was snarky about Monty too, cos he has a big garden, or something. How dare he.

An aside: Does anyone know why our profile pics suddenly have Jewish kippah? Hanukkah isn’t til 18 December. It did start on 28 Nov last year (2021) though. Is this a duck-up? 🤔
We’re thinking duck up. I’ll be honest, it’s making me feel bad about looking at Bear’s thread.

Reactions: 4
Hi there, today I have been mostly creating rage soup or should I say Jack Monroe's Carrot, Cumin & Kidney Bean Soup.

Taken from her instructions here https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/02/19/carrot-cumin-kidney-bean-soup-18p-vg-v-df-gf/

Ever since I read the post it's been itching at me - how does it come out that colour with a tin of red kidney beans in it? Which is why I finally broke today and had a go.

1669746946248.png

1669747064418.png

I don't feel like it will make a radical difference to the outcome but I'm using frozen sliced red onion.

This is because I forgot to buy onions this week, and that's why I keep frozen onion in the freezer, so when I forget or have used up my fresh onions I still have onion to use. It's amazing, I think someone should write this hack down.

I had all the other ingredients in my cupboards so it cost me NOTHING!

Imagine if you will, that I have written a few paragraphs about supermarkets price and politicians, and now I can begin.

It's the cold oil and chuck it in approach again.

1669747790128.png

After a few minutes, it's add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.

Right oh.

Bean rinsing! Hurrah.

1669749131977.png

Then heat through in the soup.

1669749247426.png

After that we blend it to heck. Or don't.

1669749740740.png

My soup is actually a bit browner in person (a kind of digestive problems brown) than it came out on camera, so, benefit of the doubt, maybe her lighting of her soup makes it look more golden than it is in reality?

Either that, or that picture isn't the same soup she explains how to make.

It's not bad on first taste, but there's a bitterness as the secondary impression, kind of drying feeling at the back of the throat.
It's mostly cumin I can taste, I think. It doesn't really taste of much otherwise.

There's no seasoning added during the cooking, so that would have probably helped.

1669751274671.png

1669752299487.png

I'm going to score it as 3, because it's edible if uninspiring.

I think if I can probably cheer it up by seasoning it, for a start.

1669751727824.png

And there you have it. Will I ever try another of her recipes? I don't think so - it just feels a bit depressing at this point, you know? It's not that the ones I have chosen have been so awful they're inedible, they're just incredibly mediocre.

I can make up mediocre recipes myself. I am NOT Jack tho. Honest, guv.

1669753773208.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60