Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never knew how invested I was in what Fraus kitchens look like until these threads.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I've added a donation column to the wiki, the current total is £130.35 plus 3 food bank donations.
If anyone's made a donation please check if I've included it because I only ran through the slop posts and searched for donation.
If I've missed it please let me know.
I can’t find the list for I am a fool, but I donated £10 + gift aid to my local food bank x

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Tin Can Cook - Pasta e ceci

A Girl Called Jack - Gnocchi

Good Food for Bad Days - Microwave Lemon Curd and Blueberry Porridge

A Year in 120 Recipes - Iced breakfast tarts

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 14
It will be interesting to arrange the slops by date published - have they always been godawful made up piles of tit or has she got worse/better with time? I’m imagining starting poorly and getting worse.

Reactions: 21
@Hold my beans - fish crumble

@HotesTilaire lentil Bolognese?
Thanks! I was so desperate to make it, I did a quick search and found it in the Guardian here.. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...to-tinned-fish-four-easy-recipes-for-lockdown (posted because I know you'll all be desperate to make it too! They look identical to me.

I had all the ingredients except the mackerel, tinned peas, tinned carrots and lemon juice. I used a lemon I had rather than buy another bottle that I'd use once then throw out in 6 months time (waste!).
Just checked my receipt and I wasn't charged for the carrots 😮 so a total cost of £1.04 for the mackerel and peas!
Recipe said to mix the flour with hot oil to start my cheese sauce. It took about 20 mins to get all the lumps of flour out of my sauce 😪

Struggling to add the photos separately on my phone so here's all
20221109_165317.jpg
20221109_173414.jpg
20221109_180415.jpg
20221109_184137.jpg
20221109_184042.jpg
20221109_181845.jpg
20221109_181431.jpg
20221109_181043.jpg

My house stinks.
It took 35 mins to prepare, not 10 as the recipe says by which time the little glow I had in my solar powered garden light had died.
All I can taste is mackerel, dry breadcrumbs and tinned peas 🤢

I give it a 1: DIRE

Eta... I donated 2 advent calendars to the food bank

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 85
Okay, here we go.

I had everything in the cupboard apart from sprouts 95p and brie £1.90 - unusually, the website and book versions of the recipe are identical apart from one of them specifying brie rather than any leftover cheese, so that's what I went for.
20221109_185116.jpg

First step, finely slice 80g of sprouts. This was 5 sprouts.

20221109_185904.jpg

Put flour, bicarb, salt and sprouts into a mixing bowl and make a well (yes this is one of the 'a kind of hole' recipes).

20221109_190257.jpg

Eggs and milk into the well.

20221109_190643.jpg

The next instruction is to crumble your cheese in. Well, I don't think this is going to crumble...

20221109_190656.jpg

I settled for tearing it into small chunks.

20221109_190846.jpg

Mix well with a wooden spoon, adding extra flour or water if necessary. Mine went like thick wallpaper paste.

20221109_191024.jpg

I added a spoonful of flour and flattened it out to the prescribed 'around 2cm thick'.

20221109_191614.jpg

This is one of those rare occasions when Jack does tell you to preheat the oil in the frying pan. She suggests a medium heat for a few minutes each side or until risen and golden. I put it on 5 out of 9 and dropped the first three in for three minutes. Please excuse the straggly bits, it's not easy to cut out scones neatly when there are bits of shredded sprout in the way.

20221109_191756.jpg

At three minutes I flipped them and things were looking quite promising.

20221109_192105.jpg

The recipe costs the oil at 3p from a £3 per litre bottle, so 10ml if my maths is right. These things drink oil like crazy, I had to put another glug in when I flipped and for the second batch.

The finished product.

20221109_193208.jpg

Just one problem - as you may have guessed, they're still raw in the middle.

20221109_193253.jpg

In the interests of science, I sliced the top off one and ate it. It tasted of flour and salt. No cheese, no sprouts. Spreading butter on it might have improved it, but only because it would have tasted of butter.

I think if she'd baked these in the oven the traditional way they'd have been been absolutely fine and a solid 3 or even perhaps a 4, but made with the frying pan method they're a definite 1!

Can't find a way to donate cash to our local foodbank, but they have a list of things they're short of on their website, so I will make a suitable donation via their supermarket collection point when I'm in on Saturday.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
I found the lentil rage on her website, but I can’t actually be bothered to make cold onion tomato slop

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Okay, here we go.

I had everything in the cupboard apart from sprouts 95p and brie £1.90 - unusually, the website and book versions of the recipe are identical apart from one of them specifying brie rather than any leftover cheese, so that's what I went for.
View attachment 1717588

First step, finely slice 80g of sprouts. This was 5 sprouts.

View attachment 1717603

Put flour, bicarb, salt and sprouts into a mixing bowl and make a well (yes this is one of the 'a kind of hole' recipes).

View attachment 1717614

Eggs and milk into the well.

View attachment 1717617

The next instruction is to crumble your cheese in. Well, I don't think this is going to crumble...

View attachment 1717618

I settled for tearing it into small chunks.

View attachment 1717622

Mix well with a wooden spoon, adding extra flour or water if necessary. Mine went like thick wallpaper paste.

View attachment 1717625

I added a spoonful of flour and flattened it out to the prescribed 'around 2cm thick'.

View attachment 1717627

This is one of those rare occasions when Jack does tell you to preheat the oil in the frying pan. She suggests a medium heat for a few minutes each side or until risen and golden. I put it on 5 out of 9 and dropped the first three in for three minutes. Please excuse the straggly bits, it's not easy to cut out scones neatly when there are bits of shredded sprout in the way.

View attachment 1717637

At three minutes I flipped them and things were looking quite promising.

View attachment 1717644

The recipe costs the oil at 3p from a £3 per litre bottle, so 10ml if my maths is right. These things drink oil like crazy, I had to put another glug in when I flipped and for the second batch.

The finished product.

View attachment 1717653

Just one problem - as you may have guessed, they're still raw in the middle.

View attachment 1717655

In the interests of science, I sliced the top off one and ate it. It tasted of flour and salt. No cheese, no sprouts. Spreading butter on it might have improved it, but only because it would have tasted of butter.

I think if she'd baked these in the oven the traditional way they'd have been been absolutely fine and a solid 3 or even perhaps a 4, but made with the frying pan method they're a definite 1!

Can't find a way to donate cash to our local foodbank, but they have a list of things they're short of on their website, so I will make a suitable donation via their supermarket collection point when I'm in on Saturday.
Why the ever living frig would you fry a scone?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.