Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d earmarked tomorrow for my slopalong but turns out my ill 3 year old has covid and he’s not left my knee today, so will have to see how it goes!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
As I'm a glutton for punishment and obviously quite mad, I may attempt another Slopalong - I quite fancy the 'mince and onion with notions' (from Tin Can't Cook). How wrong could it go?

I'm housesitting for a friend while they gallivant glamorously around this weekend (absolutely not saying any more due to genuine 🔺️) - I'm sure they won't mind Jack's recipes honking up the place 🤣, though there will probably be fewer accompanying pictures as identifying details of friend are pretty much all over the place (they almost certainly don't read here but someone who knows of them may well do due to 'reasons'🔺️). Plus there'll almost certainly be some red wine knocking about and there's all the fast food chains within walking distance if it all goes tits up.
bleeping hell, I want to know more about your pals!! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Cake update now that it’s completely cold:

It's super-rubbery and chewy, like bouncy gum. It weirdly tastes like an actual custard tart which isn’t that unpleasant if I’m honest and the middle part which didn’t cook has the consistency of a very thick custard tart too.

Nevertheless, it’s heading into my food waste bin.

RIP 2-ingredient custard cake 😭

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 53
I’ve Been hesitant to post this but I am a food bank user. Her recipes are a joke.
I normally get - tinned pasta. Spaghetti hoops, they go on toast. As they are, unrinsed.
Tinned meat, a pie or stewed tinned meat. I eat pie as is, normally try and get some new potatoes to go with and cook some frozen veg. Sometimes I get tinned new potatoes and that’s a meal right there.
Tinned tuna. Mix with pasta for tuna pasta or sometimes w tinned sweetcorn on a jacket potato. Tuna sandwiches for a treat, toasted with cheese of i have the money.
Oats, cereal and UHT milk. I eat as it comes. It’s not delicious, or ideal, but it does the job. Cereal or oats for tea sometimes with some cinnamon added, it’s ok.
Tinned soup: I just eat the bleeping soup.
Fruit, a snack. Sometimes breakfast if I’m not that hungry.
No rinsing or any of her bullshit is required. Her recipes are honestly dangerous.
I cant speak on behalf of all foodbank users, but I eat because I have to. I don’t or can’t afford to duck around rinsing meat or cooking veg peelings on a meal that is inedible.
It’s not fair she has 7 cookbooks and earning god knows what amount a month.
She doesn’t deserve to have a voice on behalf of people who are struggling. I hate everything about her.
just my two cents. Poor people do not need to be taught how to manage a budget. We only spend what we need to. Budgeting or making tinned food into something it isn’t supposed to be isn’t the issue. TORIES are the bleeping issue and that’s above Jacks remit. I wish she’d just disappear into oblivion.
Slopalong is so funny but it’s genuinely engaging at the same time. Poor people who rely on a food parcel cannot afford to be bleeping around with her disgusting ‘meals’. Bottom line ☹

I almost forgot- this week I had a treat and got some corned beef. Corned beef & baked bean hash is ELITE and it is what it is. On a jacket potato? Not dire ❤
thank you for your post and I’m sorry that you find yourself in need of a food bank and get exploited by JM. Corned beef hash was a firm favourite with my kids when they were little.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
TBH I didn’t expect the Slopolong results to be quite as bad as they are. Naively I thought there must be *some* recipes that work. It’s actually pretty depressing. How on earth has she been getting away with this?
Thinking back to Jack’s posts about her new book, it is fairly obvious that she never tested the recipes. Remember all those scrappy bits of paper? The endless drafts with methods or ingredients missing? The constant missed deadlines? She was pushing it to the wire right to the end - there is no way she allowed time for testing.
That mushroom thing I cooked earlier is going straight in the bin. It feels like my breath is going to smell of raw onion for weeks. I wonder how many people waste food cooking her recipes, and then think it must be their fault and not Jack’s?
How can she treat her readers with such contempt? Especially those on limited means who cannot afford to waste food, and have been duped into believing Jack is some kind of budget food genius. And how can her publisher allow it?
It’s shameful. Truly.

Between this and her unpaid advocacy work that has never seen the light of day, it’s all a massive fraud. It’s unsurprising yet so sorely disappointing at the same time.
In truth we know desperately poor people aren’t relying on her but at the same time that’s who she pretends she’s aiming for. Those who are desperate wouldn’t take a chance on her recipes and those who are looking to cut a few corners can afford to buy the books whilst firmly in the knowledge they’ll never have to try the recipes exactly as written because they can afford better, and paying Jack absolves their conscience of actually doing something that brings them into contact with actual poor people.

It’s easier to turn a blind eye and pretend she’s helping, than it is to acknowledge she’s done nothing and then have to do something yourself.

Sorry for the massive rant.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
PART 2 Marmite Mac and Cheese in a Mug: Work Version. Apologies for the delayed follow up.

@dickanddom did the non-work version, I prepped the refrigeration not needed work version and “commuted” with it. Now to cook my lunch.
Recipe at bottom.
First, as she’s got SEVEN books and cooked for Mary PORTAS, I took a leaf out expert Jack’s book and made a line of tape on the floor that my child “work colleagues” must not cross when I am cooking my mug of yummy pasta. COLLEAGUES. YOU SHALL NOT CROSS!

6F9EBEE0-665A-41D5-AC30-2AFE7A494296.jpeg

63B4BA02-0E5F-4156-94AE-5B89600F8327.jpeg
Next, I recreated a workplace environment with some office-style accoutrements, and my own special private pot of pens. Note that while I couldn’t face filthying up the microwave inside for office authenticity, I did attempt to make a little bit of a smeary mess on the outside. (Please enjoy the picture of Sebastian Bach in golden hipster pants from the cover of his book that sits in my ‘workplace’ instead of the obligatory yet dull usual degree certificates and family photographs). Look at those lovely flowing locks everyone. Swoon!
8697C2A6-68EE-4839-A21F-6C19D79A3744.jpeg
Now to the prep. Jack tells me to cover my giant mug with cling film (which I do not have) or a saucer. Having been forewarned by the intrepid @dickanddom that all this is going to get hotter than the inside of a McDonald’s apple pie, I SHAN’T balance a saucer on it.

Hmmmm…. What can I use to cover my mug?! Oh, hello aluminum foil!
8D3D2609-FFC3-4C2E-935C-10EF782161D3.jpeg

787CDE40-9882-4ED4-BCD9-4614A3100747.jpeg

Thanks, Jack. Thanks for all that you do in the name of your embarrassingly betrousered Papa. To save us imbeciles from exploding our houses.

I didn’t have any beef stock so I decided to use 150ml of water and 100ml of low sodium veg stock. I was also scared to use a mug, so pulled out a Pyrex jug I knew could withstand the abuse. I then got my tasty looking room temperature oil/marmite/cheese mixture ready to go
090ADBD4-270C-4BEE-9D6C-B1ADEE5B1AB4.jpeg

I covered the jug with one of those microwave non splatter covers. I cooked for 2 mins at a time, stirring and putting back in for a total of 6 mins. After the second and third 2 mins all the liquid burst completely out of the jug like a fiancée/OH running for the door and had to be poured back in. The jug was SO bleeping HOT this part was dangerous. (To clear up any confusion about the Vali office/household, that is not a rampant rabbit reflected in the oily liquid, for I do not have a kitchen drawer of cocks, i have a kitchen pot of cooking implements, so it is SPATULAE plural)
05B30465-868C-4DFC-AF08-8D65436A1FA1.jpeg
Then it was time to plop in the cheesy oily room temperature ooze from my morning commute that does not need refrigeration. Yum! One more minute!
7B69CEC7-38D4-4286-9481-D149873AE5BC.jpeg

Voila! Finished product. As you can see, the liquid did not all dissipate. Jack gives no instruction for this so I assume it’s part of the recipe and dish that up too.
381B935A-93CC-48FD-AF89-3C0B9F10C8C3.jpeg

A pretend colleague comes into the office kitchen so I decide to be collegial and share my luncheon. (Shout out to the Wales and Manchester Massives with the muggos).
What?! White trash shouldn’t eat from mugs? Those oven gloves are CATH KIDSTON, witch!
2ECDF603-4357-47E3-A81B-B2DF370E2CF6.jpeg

Close Up
22365E4A-AFD2-4B29-BC46-2ABD1F0C06BE.jpeg
E4E53514-EBA0-474B-BD60-EB3B8D98DE93.jpeg

I tuck into the Grand Slam mug. The pasta isn’t cooked all the way. It’s oily and salty. I press on. After eating it all, there is a lot of liquid left.

I decide this is pretty much the equivalent of fancy bone broth, which is apparently all kinds of healthy. I do not have a shot glass so I use an eggcup. Note the minging oily residue left in the mug.
28BE7908-3DDF-44E9-A444-35D0691F5E6C.jpeg
Down the hatch with the healthful-properties-imparting shot of “Bone Broth” (Jack, you can have that ‘recipe’ on me)
925B7802-D439-4599-BF94-463BD8644ED2.jpeg
Bllllllleeeeuuuuuurrrrrgh! I don’t know why I did that. The things I do in service of you ninnies.

Anyway, it was all pretty awful. It was just about edible, but two hours later, just like @dickanddom, despite drinking a tit ton of water, I had a raging thirst and my tongue felt like a desiccated slug that the salt pot had been chucked at it.

Verdict: 2 Terrible. It was edible, but salty as duck, oily, kind of dangerous because everything got so hot with oily liquid slopping everywhere (and I’m not convinced that leaving an oil marmite cheese mix on your desk for 4 hours is wise either) and not worth it. Bonus, it was free food as it was all in my larder.

Note that my “colleague” couldn’t face their mug and I couldn’t face seeing it congealed in the fridge tomorrow so that second one went into the bin.
Edit: here’s part 1

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 94
It’s shameful. Truly.

Between this and her unpaid advocacy work that has never seen the light of day, it’s all a massive fraud. It’s unsurprising yet so sorely disappointing at the same time.
In truth we know desperately poor people aren’t relying on her but at the same time that’s who she pretends she’s aiming for. Those who are desperate wouldn’t take a chance on her recipes and those who are looking to cut a few corners can afford to buy the books whilst firmly in the knowledge they’ll never have to try the recipes exactly as written because they can afford better, and paying Jack absolves their conscience of actually doing something that brings them into contact with actual poor people.

It’s easier to turn a blind eye and pretend she’s helping, than it is to acknowledge she’s done nothing and then have to do something yourself.

Sorry for the massive rant.
this is what it is. A fraud on a massive scale, taking in thousands of people. Delivered nothing in the last nine years other than shouting on twitter, repeating her one story, and seven books full of garbage content. She has rewarded herself with hundreds of thousands of pounds, and had people call her a hero.

I was on the bones of my arse for a short while and had heard of jack monroe, thinking to try out one of her recipes. luckily for me i must have seen ones on her website that were more obviously shite, and never paid actual money for a book. I could just actually cry thinking that desparate people have shelled out for this tit. sorry this may be more suited to the MT, but the more i'm reading this, the angrier i'm getting.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Came here to post EXACTLY this - you would be better off making the cake with an egg and water, then eating it with the tin of custard!!!

Also, why doesn’t she ever suggest making cakes/steam puddings in the microwaveyyy - so light and take a minute or so to cook!!

I am getting increasingly more angry at how tit her recipes are - I will re-post my efforts at making a pasta recipe I did of hers a while back where the portions were so minuscule it was ridiculous - I can’t remember what it was called it was that memorable so will need to search back through my posts.

I am also getting more than a bit emosh at all the slopalong ninnies who are donating to their local foodbanks - sterling work frauen and herren - she is such a FUCKN fraud!!!!

Anyways I will be attempting my effort at upside down fish pie after I have yomped to Asda tomorrow with my backpack.

Love to you all xxx

Quoting myself like a bellend. But…WTAF?? There are 149 calories in 100g of Aldi tagliatelle….
This woman is sooooo fuckn dangerous - she needs to be exposed for the actual fake ‘cookbook author’ that she is.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
PART 2 Marmite Mac and Cheese in a Mug: Work Version. Apologies for the delayed follow up.

@dickanddom did the non-work version, I prepped the refrigeration not needed work version and “commuted” with it. Now to cook my lunch.
Recipe at bottom.
First, as she’s got SEVEN books and cooked for Mary PORTAS, I took a leaf out expert Jack’s book and made a line of tape on the floor that my child “work colleagues” must not cross when I am cooking my mug of yummy pasta. COLLEAGUES. YOU SHALL NOT CROSS!

View attachment 1712485
View attachment 1712426Next, I recreated a workplace environment with some office-style accoutrements, and my own special private pot of pens. Note that while I couldn’t face filthying up the microwave inside for office authenticity, I did attempt to make a little bit of a smeary mess on the outside. (Please enjoy the picture of Sebastian Bach in golden hipster pants from the cover of his book that sits in my ‘workplace’ instead of the obligatory yet dull usual degree certificates and family photographs). Look at those lovely flowing locks everyone. Swoon!
View attachment 1712362Now to the prep. Jack tells me to cover my giant mug with cling film (which I do not have) or a saucer. Having been forewarned by the intrepid @dickanddom that all this is going to get hotter than the inside of a McDonald’s apple pie, I SHAN’T balance a saucer on it.

Hmmmm…. What can I use to cover my mug?! Oh, hello aluminum foil!
View attachment 1712275
View attachment 1712278
Thanks, Jack. Thanks for all that you do in the name of your embarrassingly betrousered Papa. To save us imbeciles from exploding our houses.

I didn’t have any beef stock so I decided to use 150ml of water and 100ml of low sodium veg stock. I was also scared to use a mug, so pulled out a Pyrex jug I knew could withstand the abuse. I then got my tasty looking room temperature oil/marmite/cheese mixture ready to go
View attachment 1712279
I covered the jug with one of those microwave non splatter covers. I cooked for 2 mins at a time, stirring and putting back in for a total of 6 mins. After the second and third 2 mins all the liquid burst completely out of the jug like a fiancée/OH running for the door and had to be poured back in. The jug was SO bleeping HOT this part was dangerous. (To clear up any confusion about the Vali office/household, that is not a rampant rabbit reflected in the oily liquid, for I do not have a kitchen drawer of cocks, i have a kitchen pot of cooking implements, so it is SPATULAE plural)
View attachment 1712302Then it was time to plop in the cheesy oily room temperature ooze from my morning commute that does not need refrigeration. Yum! One more minute!
View attachment 1712303
Voila! Finished product. As you can see, the liquid did not all dissipate. Jack gives no instruction for this so I assume it’s part of the recipe and dish that up too.
View attachment 1712305
A pretend colleague comes into the office kitchen so I decide to be collegial and share my luncheon. (Shout out to the Wales and Manchester Massives with the muggos).
What?! White trash shouldn’t eat from mugs? Those oven gloves are CATH KIDSTON, witch!
View attachment 1712319
Close Up
View attachment 1712320View attachment 1712323
I tuck into the Grand Slam mug. The pasta isn’t cooked all the way. It’s oily and salty. I press on. After eating it all, there is a lot of liquid left.

I decide this is pretty much the equivalent of fancy bone broth, which is apparently all kinds of healthy. I do not have a shot glass so I use an eggcup. Note the minging oily residue left in the mug.
View attachment 1712395 Down the hatch with the healthful-properties-imparting shot of “Bone Broth” (Jack, you can have that ‘recipe’ on me) View attachment 1712394Bllllllleeeeuuuuuurrrrrgh! I don’t know why I did that. The things I do in service of you ninnies.

Anyway, it was all pretty awful. It was just about edible, but two hours later, just like @dickanddom, despite drinking a tit ton of water, I had a raging thirst and my tongue felt like a desiccated slug that the salt pot had been chucked at it.

Verdict: 2 Terrible. It was edible, but salty as duck, oily, kind of dangerous because everything got so hot with oily liquid slopping everywhere (and I’m not convinced that leaving an oil marmite cheese mix on your desk for 4 hours is wise either) and not worth it. Bonus, it was free food as it was all in my larder.

Note that my “colleague” couldn’t face their mug and I couldn’t face seeing it congealed in the fridge tomorrow so that second one went into the bin.
Edit: here’s part 1
I’ve been looking forward to this and it did not disappoint 😂😂😂. I didn’t know about the line of tape hahahahahahahahahahaha duck me this is too funny.

For some reason I’m picturing it on Come Dine with Me, featuring Dave Lamb’s narration becoming so high pitched in disbelief only dogs can hear him hahahahaha 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Not her recipe, dear heart! Stolen, yet again. Even JM couldn't screw that up.

It isn't. It's Middle Eastern/Mediterranean, there are many many versions of it.
How much do we think it pained her to not ruin it with a weird ingredient (custard anyone?) and then name it Jackshuka.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Quoting myself like a silly old ninny. But I am FORENSIC and wouldn't want to be thought of as a LIAR. Here is the labelling on a tin of Morrisons Savers tinned potatoes.
In my experience they also have a tendency to explode in the oven if you’re trying to roast them

• Wow
Reactions: 23
I chose the RED MUSHROOM CURRY from Jack’s website, as I thought it sounded relatively inoffensive. As it turns out, I was wrong.

She calls this a “hot spicy little number”, but it only has 1/8 tsp chilli flakes for 1-2 people. This is barely visible to the naked eye. FFS. Has she no taste buds?
Hot and spicy, oh dear. Then again Jack is the person who puts 1 tsp chilli flakes in a VINDALOO and nothing else 🤯
This comparison shot might be one of the worst as well, notice Jack's spoon to bowl size ratio here.
Could (must?) her version be fake?

1667855962170.png
1667855972039.png

TBH I didn’t expect the Slopolong results to be quite as bad as they are. Naively I thought there must be *some* recipes that work. It’s actually pretty depressing. How on earth has she been getting away with this?
Thinking back to Jack’s posts about her new book, it is fairly obvious that she never tested the recipes. Remember all those scrappy bits of paper? The endless drafts with methods or ingredients missing? The constant missed deadlines? She was pushing it to the wire right to the end - there is no way she allowed time for testing.
That mushroom thing I cooked earlier is going straight in the bin. It feels like my breath is going to smell of raw onion for weeks. I wonder how many people waste food cooking her recipes, and then think it must be their fault and not Jack’s?
How can she treat her readers with such contempt? Especially those on limited means who cannot afford to waste food, and have been duped into believing Jack is some kind of budget food genius. And how can her publisher allow it?
The thing that's really starting to irk me is the number of times her recipes are just plain WRONG in what they say e.g. "hot eggy mess" (despite the eggs being stone cold) or "hot and spicy" (despite the only heat or spices coming from 1/4 tsp chilli flakes).

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Thank you for posting this, dear heart - apart from the funny side of things (the ninnies are the best), the main take from the experiments is that it has confirmed what we already knew. Her recipes are crap, and she's certainly no help to those she's been made the public face of. I hope she won't be that for much longer, the lying, grifting charlatan. I also hope with all my heart that things improve for you very soon.❤

@PermanentEyeroll
Hot nicoise & Crabby Nora
Point of order, m'lud - if the egg/cheese/milk is added at *end* in the Crabby Nora, the egg is NOT going to cook and you risk food poisoning. Just saying!
[/QUOTE]
If you are in the UK all hens are inoculated against salmonella which was the major cause of food poisoning from eggs in the UK. They should be safe to eat, although if I was pregnant or immune compromised I would only eat well cooked eggs

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.