Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And doesn’t mention that sweet potato is MUCH more watery and soft. Almost like she hasn’t tried it with this recipe.
Oddly enough, using sweet potato is mentioned in the BBC good food gnocchi recipe. Coinicidence? I think I not.

Reactions: 26
Gah. The supermarket delivery thing . I often get deliveries from Ocado. Because I'm prepared to leave it until close to the shut off time I can get free or 99p delivery charge. I also have a meal plan and a proper list so can have a proper look at what I'm buying so stick to a realistic budget.

Edit. I realise that makes me sound like an arse. But Ocado in our area are really reliable. On time, no weird subs, rarely anything missing and good use/sell by dates. The other supermarkets aren't great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 31
Why the ever living frig would you fry a scone?
I mean...you fry Potato Scones (aka Tattie Scones if you're Scottish or Potato Farls if you're Irish) on a griddle, and they are very, very good. But they're made with different ingedients and they are much, much thinner and a different texture, and don't rise.

I really think she's got confused somewhere with that recipe and muddled up the two different food items and cooking methods. How peculiar!

Reactions: 41
Ah yes that does make (Jack)sense. My Harold loves sprouts so I was telling him about the scones and I thought maybe the frying would make sense if they were potato cakes, as I call them. That might actually be really nice.

Reactions: 18
Ok, confession time (new on this thread). I've not previously paid any attention to Jack.. seen bits and bobs here and there, that's it. Until recently she popped up on my Twitter feed ranting about trolls and bullies. I thought that's a bit mean. Ripping the shit out of the likes of Katie Price and Daniella Westbrook I can understand. But someone trying to do good and help people who are struggling?! Bit mean thought I. So I thought I'd have a nosy on here, wasn't going to stick up for her, (made that mistake before on the Meghan Markle thread)...but I thought I'd see what she could have done that's soooooo bad. And, damn you fine people! I TOTALLY get it!! How the fuck is she getting away with it! I can't believe what I'm reading. The fucking "cake"!! The raw onion curry paste! The "free cos you've already got it"!

Also, by God yous are funny. I've howled with laughter at some of the posts and you all seem lovely, certainly not "nasty evil twolls". I think I read that she joined Tattle? What did she say?

Anyways, hope you don't mind a newbie lurking in the corner. Nice to virtually meet you all.

Reactions: 83
Sorry but I’m laughing my socks off that she makes no mention that you need to grate the cheese

Reactions: 33
Welcome! She graced us with her presence on thread #31 back in ye old days of 2020

Reactions: 27
Tender ones,
I am stuck home with Covid and the slopalong is giving me life and brining me back to health.
I am a very keen baker and I think I’m not bad at it. Alas I have no Jack recipe books anymore having dispensed of them long ago when I got wise to the grift. Would a kind Frau consider nominating a Jack bake for me to attempt that hasn’t been tackled elsewhere? This could be just the project I need while stuck indoors. For research and posterity purposes.
Thank(space)you

Reactions: 35
Asked MrEm to pick up my ingredients in the shop tomorrow. He asked what on Earth for? Explained Slopathon. I think if we were married I would soon be divorced. He is HORRIFIED. But will pick up the tins regardless.

Reactions: 41
we spent most of the 80s thinking we were about to die, what with nuclear threat, public safety films and lynn faulds wood on watchdog each week warning us of the many things that were 'a potential death trap'
I do love a Mary Whitehouse Experience reference.

Reactions: 22
I've posted this before on the MT threads. I'm going to post it here. I don't know who Jack is catering to with her recipes. It's certainly not families with children and teenagers.

Children and teenagers need huge calorie intake. 300/400 cal meals get no where near what they need. I find it scary and upsetting that anyone thinks these meals are substantial enough to adequately feed children and teenagers. And, frankly, that's before we get to whether they'll 'eat what they are given or go without'.

Attachments

Reactions: 24
You know that slice pictured has the only cherry in the tin, don't you dearheart?
The SCANT cherry!!!

eta: can’t see the cake recipe without registering, but I’m guessing you either add the fruit, juice and all, to a cake recipe with all the wrong ratios, thus rendering it CakeSlop, OR, rinse the fruit juice off the fruit and then add water?

Reactions: 25

https://tattle.life/wiki/slopalong/ if you look at the top of the page you will find lists of all recipes from each book. Let me know if you want any particular recipe.

Reactions: 13

Surely the fruit would go in last

Reactions: 18
https://giphy.com/5h5PIOam8U5v03OEmM

Reactions: 30
It’s rinsed fruit cocktail added to a cake recipe. It’s a “ bejewelled, jolly little number”

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.