Slimming World - cult?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any good normal blokes to suggest following? I don’t like arrogant people or fake people. Good male accounts to get inspo, good female ones for inspiration and some food ones please
Jon Vidler - amazing and humble!

Reactions: 2
I'm joining tomorrow, oh god. I just need some support. I understand all your point's of view. Just hope it's successful for me, I'm desperate to get some weight off. Whilst it's common sense..I need the help...

Reactions: 3
I've done SW twice now, each time I'm on a roll and lost weight, it was easier the first time as I was alot younger and more active.

As soon as I get comfy with it, I stopped going to class, and like others put the weight back on.

At the end of the day I felt I was paying to be told what I and everyone knows, and that is eat less, move more and don't eat crap. It really is that simple, but saying it and doing it is a different matter. 🙈

I need to lose weight again but won't ever be going back to SW or any other 'diet' club.

The folk on this thread directed me to My Fitness Pal (thanks all), which I now use day in, day out. Its a very good tool.
I have read some of the diet needs from SW and incorporate that into what I eat.
I also walk on a daily basis and use the gym, on basic stuff, treadmill, ski machine and rowing machine. I also need to do strength training as advised on here, just need to find time to do it!

We all know really what we need to do, I don't have too bad a diet (apart from the weekend) but I was not moving, which is what I really have changed now.

I have lost weight but more importantly, inches!

But try My Fitness Pal, it is really good.

Reactions: 1
A good friend of mine is a nutritionist at the hospital in Newcastle and said slimming world is good for those with no food education but it’s very much snakes and ladders as it doesn’t teach people to be healthy for life. Syns logic doesn’t work and things like JD seasonings are free purely for financial gains for slimming world where other brands with exact same ingredients have syn values.

I feel ashamed in constantly hounding a friend about weight loss because I’ve let myself go in recent years and it’s shameful! I used to have a decent body and now I look like a jelly!

The snakes and ladders thing again, very true. I’m not sure what do with re joining slimming world
Nothing is one size fits all so I think it’s about figuring out what’s going to work for you. But as far as the food (energy in) side goes you need a small daily deficit of calories, how you do that is up to you. As @dontgetit posted, my fitness pal is a good way of seeing where you are with that.

Personally I LOVE carbs (cannot get my head around the keto diet, hugely admire people who do it but I wouldn’t last three hours on it) so I broadly follow The Starch Solution as I enjoy being able to eat massive, filling meals and stay slim. And I’ve been following it for years, that’s how I know it works because there’s no lose/gain/lose cycling or falling off and then getting back on the wagon. Be kind to yourself and give it time.

The folk on this thread directed me to My Fitness Pal (thanks all), which I now use day in, day out. Its a very good tool.
I have read some of the diet needs from SW and incorporate that into what I eat.
I also walk on a daily basis and use the gym, on basic stuff, treadmill, ski machine and rowing machine. I also need to do strength training as advised on here, just need to find time to do it!

We all know really what we need to do, I don't have too bad a diet (apart from the weekend) but I was not moving, which is what I really have changed now.

I have lost weight but more importantly, inches!

But try My Fitness Pal, it is really good.
Do you mind saying how much you've lost? I'm the same that I wasn't moving about enough but I'm trying to fix that and using MFP but not losing much but think it's because I'm peri menopausal and weight gain is a symptom! It's quite frustrating as when I lost weight in my 30's, I lost it easily.

Hi, I have lost 10lbs since mid November ( minus two weeks over Christmas)

I walk every day, gym twice a week and run ( I use that term very lightly) once a week.

Remember if you are training, you need to eat even more calories or the weight won't move off you.

Read alot of the advice on this thread. Lean meats, veg, fruit, all the stuff we know we should eat!

I found that if I was restricting calories and training, I was not losing weight.

Good luck.

Thanks @dontgetit. I went on a diet 2 years ago and it was just as slow a loss then. It took me 10 weeks to lose 8lb which I thought was slow. I think it must be harder in your 50's! I've only lost 4lb in 4 weeks which I thought wasn't that good but I'm comparing it to how much I lost in my 30's, so I shouldn't get so down on myself.

I'm going to attempt couch to 5k soon but I'm not really into running but my friend advised to just repeat the weeks if I find it hard. I do like walking so have been doing a lot but need to try more for 10K steps a day.

Thanks @dontgetit. I went on a diet 2 years ago and it was just as slow a loss then. It took me 10 weeks to lose 8lb which I thought was slow. I think it must be harder in your 50's! I've only lost 4lb in 4 weeks which I thought wasn't that good but I'm comparing it to how much I lost in my 30's, so I shouldn't get so down on myself.

I'm going to attempt couch to 5k soon but I'm not really into running but my friend advised to just repeat the weeks if I find it hard. I do like walking so have been doing a lot but need to try more for 10K steps a day.
4lb in four weeks is very good! Be patient and you will get there

4lb in four weeks is very good! Be patient and you will get there
Thank you but I have a lot to lose and I remember years ago i lost that in the first week! I'm just impatient but I'm determined to keep at it.

Thank you but I have a lot to lose and I remember years ago i lost that in the first week! I'm just impatient but I'm determined to keep at it.
Consistency is key - and if you fall off the wagon for a day or two don’t despair, get back on and keep going!

Do you know about set point weight theory? It is only a theory so pinch of salt and all that... but it might make you feel more positive about your progress. In short losing 4lbs in four weeks means it’s much more likely you’ll keep that off long term so do not despair, you’re doing very well.

Loads of articles online about this, here’s one: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/set-point-theory-the-fat_b_11017624/amp

Reactions: 4
Do you know about set point weight theory? It is only a theory so pinch of salt and all that... but it might make you feel more positive about your progress. In short losing 4lbs in four weeks means it’s much more likely you’ll keep that off long term so do not despair, you’re doing very well.

Loads of articles online about this, here’s one: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/set-point-theory-the-fat_b_11017624/amp
Thanks! When I lost 1-2lb a week years ago, I kept it off for 3 years then had another child but only gained 10lb and then stayed the same for a long time but it’s all crept on during peri menopause but at least I’m in the zone finally and determined to lose it in a healthy way. I do have friends who do fad diets and lose loads but they always put it back on quickly!

Interesting article. My last diet two years ago I didn’t lose anything for the first two weeks and was really frustrated but by the third week I lost 2lb, then more or less 2lb a week but got bored by time I lost 8lb. I have to really be in the zone to stick to it and luckily this time I’m back in the zone as I’m determined to shift this weight!

Last edited:
The slower you lose weigh the better, that of course is not what any of us want to hear!

suzesnooze - think we are about the same age!

I also do Couch to 5K, that's my attempt at running, I have been on Day 1, Week 1 for the last year! But I see it as getting out and doing something on a Sunday morning.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2
The slower you lose weigh the better, that of course is not what any of us want to hear!

suzesnooze - think we are about the same age!

I also do Couch to 5K, that's my attempt at running, I have been on Day 1, Week 1 for the last year! But I see it as getting out and doing something on a Sunday morning.

Good luck!
I’m nearly 52...still think I’m about 28 🤣

I try to only weigh myself once a week but cheated today and hadn’t lost anything (didn’t lose anything last week either) but now I’m not eating crap I can definitely tell my stomach is less bloated so I think I might start taking my measurements as well as weighing myself as I did that years ago on a successful diet and lost a lot of inches.

I was waiting for the weather to improve to start my couch to 5k (excuses, excuses!).

I know it is irrational but I cannot stand their use of "Body Magic" instead of the word exercise. And they aren't "speed foods" they are salads. I mean get a grip.

Dont fall for buying the bars, meals and snack stuff. It is all over priced and when you look at it the nutritional value is no better than a decent flapjack. That's where they make their money, and selling "snacks and treats" doesnt really address the reason why go to these things: we need to stop snacking / lose weight.

Fundamentally diets dont work. Depriving yourself of something is never going to be sustainable long term as you start to fixate on it. Just eat lots of protein, fruit and veg and watch hidden sugars.

She says whilst being two stones overweight. SW and WW just seem like money making companies to me and as somebody above said the consultants dont always look like they practice what they preach and I dont need to sit in a room listening to why Susan's period is the reason she's gained a pound this week.

• Haha
Sorry I haven’t read all of the posts here.. I come from a health promotion/disease prevention background and work with people everyday who are trying to lose weight and improve health (nhs programme, it’s free so not robbing money off people lol)
2 things I would say are:
1. Any sort of diet/group for weight loss are keeping you (the consumer) at an arms length away. They keep you close enough to lose weight so you think ‘yeah this is working!’ But not so far that you no longer need their assistance anymore (loss of money for them)
2. With any diet, you have to ask yourself ‘how sustainable is this?’. Can you continue those changes/that big of a calorie deficit for the rest of your life? If the answer is no then it’s not sustainable.

essentially weight changes down to calories in vs calories out (age, gender, BMR, and activity levels influencing how many calories you need).
your calories out come from your Basal Matabolic Rate, Structured Exercise (EAT), Non structured exercise (NEAT such as cleaning, fidgeting) and the Thermic Effect of Food.
I would recommend you finding out your BMR (how many calories you would burn if you were essentially in a coma) and your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure)

This will give you a better idea as to how many calories you need a day.

I follow Syatt Fitness and the Fitness Chef on IG, they have a no bullshit approach to weight loss.

a few things to bare in mind, weight is influenced by calories in vs calories out so technically you could consume all 1800 calories you need from pasta and not put on weight however you also need to consider the nutritional holdings of these foods, making sure you have a variety of nutrients.
Increase fibre intake, it helps you feel fuller for longer, can help reduce overall calorie consumption and helps to control glucose levels.

lastly, humans are most responsive to protein in terms of feeling full (we feel more full from having 100g protein as opposed to 100g fat or carb) so make sure you are getting enough protein.

Sorry if this has all been said already but hope it helps!

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7