Slimming World - cult?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Need to loose some weight. Was keen on giving Slimming World a try but have see some negative comments on here about it. I realise that all slimming plans have good and bad, but thought that SW was one of the better ones?
Comments please x

Reactions: 2
I cannot get along with slimming world but that's just me.
I feel like slimming world is all about social media, through a vlog I found out that in one group session they spoke about how to take a good photograph of food.... 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I have done SW and got to target through following the plan. It then all went down hill, I felt there was little support as a target member and it was always “well you know what you are doing”. I am currently nearly a stone away from that target and determined to go it alone to get back where I was.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It’s all a money making scheme. It’s not a sustainable diet, you will lose a fair bit of weight at the start and then eventually you will put on weight or plateau, you’re paying fees to go to their meetings at the end of the day so they wouldn’t make the diet 100% effective! I do know someone who lost a massive amount of weight on SW and has kept it off, but I think she’s probably in the minority. Don’t even get me started on how a banana apparently has a different syn count to a mashed one!

Reactions: 22
The clapping like seals if you’ve lost, sympathy groans if you’ve gained all sat round in a cult like circle. Hideous, as well as completely pointless and a total waste of money.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Just count calories and aim to eat more protein, fibre, fruit and veg, and do some walking. The rest will take care of itself!

Reactions: 15
I agree these programmes are designed to keep you in a never-ending loop of gaining and losing weight to retain you as a paying customer.

As well as the usual sensible advice (opt to drink water as much as possible, up your fruit & veg, get fresh air /go walking, be mindful when eating, etc) my top bit of advice would be to do some weights.

Even if you’ve never done them before it’s ok. It was a true game changer for me. Mainly because muscles need fuel and growing muscle counteracts your metabolism dropping if you are in a calorie deficit. And getting stronger will give you such a mental/psychological lift.

If you hate gyms you can buy a cheap 8kg kettlebell from Decathlon or amazon and sit it next to your tv so you see it from the sofa. The YouTube account Bodyfit with Amy has a 10 minute beginner kettlebell routine (skip any swinging exercises for now). Start super gently, this is a marathon not a race.

Apart from supporting your weight loss, doing weights is so important for long term health eg bone density. And it will make you feel amazing and proud of your body.

Reactions: 22
Everyone ive known go to Slimming World has been going there for more years than they can count and they are barely any further than when they started. They seem to do well for a while but its not sustainable long term so they end up Yo-Yo'ing and putting on whatever they lost and then going back year on year just to keep funding the service.

Reactions: 17
Many thanks folks. ;)Clapping seals. ok, SW is not for me then.
I have been told to download 'my fitness pal' to count calories and manage macros ??!!
Protein is key.
I will start using my gym membership and will have a go at weights, a lot on this online at the moment.

Many thanks

Reactions: 7
Many thanks folks. ;)Clapping seals. ok, SW is not for me then.
I have been told to download 'my fitness pal' to count calories and manage macros ??!!
Protein is key.
I will start using my gym membership and will have a go at weights, a lot on this online at the moment.

Many thanks
Depends how much weight you want to lose, if its not too much then a simple diet change and little more physical activity would do it. However if you want to shift more than that then so long as you are in a calorie deficit and doing some form of short burst exercise to burn fat you would be fine long term.

Reactions: 1
Total cult! Yes people lose weight but that's because they have just happened to eat in a calorie deficit. The only way I ever lose weight is counting calories and I use my fitness pal to track.

Reactions: 3
I just wish people would understand that the way to lose weight is to put yourself in a calorie deficit! The whole idea of syns and speed food is too confusing, and completley unnecessary! Does anyone else find dedicated SW’ers similar to people in MLMs? It is like a weird cult

Reactions: 14
My Fitness Plan app on my phone.
Here we go.
Thanks for all your advice. Never realised how important strength training is, have had a good read on it this afternoon x

Reactions: 7
I’m part of “the cult” 😜 and had lost 10.5 stone, have settled at a 9.5 stone loss but agree its now hard to find the balance between religiously following the plan and actually having some semblance of a normal life. If you’ve lots to lose it’s a good place to start- however you do need to adjust your attitude to a nodding dog and clapping seal if you stay to group 🙄

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
This might sound a bit harsh, but for me the most off-putting thing about SW (and similar plans) is that there seems to be a lot of overweight consultants, which IMO speaks volumes about whether the plan actually works. They've made a career (often full-time) out of signing people up to the plan, spend many hours a week immersed in all things SW-related and some could probably give the new member talk in their sleep, yet they're not slim?!?! It's clearly not the magical weight loss solution it's cracked up to be.

PS: This is coming from someone who spent the last 10 years or so signing up to one plan after another until I had the lightbulb moment a few months ago!

Reactions: 16
I tried SW. Waste of time and money. I cut out sugar / wine and takeouts.... joined a spinning class and i went swimming and lost weight.... if you want to check foods download the My fitness App.

Reactions: 8
I enjoy slimming world, I lost 3 stone on it steadily and enjoyably but over the years I’ve put it all back on because I quit and went back to old habits. I’m back to it now, so like anything I suppose it suits some people and not others. Tracking on my fitness pal is good too but I personally find that quite regimented, slimming world for me is quite relaxed and flexible 💚

Reactions: 5