Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pinkii

VIP Member
I love medik8 vitamin C serum and crystal retinal, if i get discounts i’ll buy it otherwise its a bit pricey for my current budget 😩 but if you have the money then its definitely worth it

Reactions: 4

VIP Member
I think someone on here recommended bio oil on your face a couple of times a week before bed and left on overnight - just want to say thanks! By the morning my skin has never looked so clear and even! I realise it won’t be for everyone - my skin is dry/damaged (years of irresponsible sun bed use) but I look like i’ve woke up with a smoothing filter on the few times I’ve tried it. Also my pores looked loads smaller

Lau123

I’d highly recommend Skin & Me or Dermatica. They are prescription tretinoins with other active ingredients catered to your skin type and specific concerns.

I suffered terribly with spots on my chin, jaw and neck. The ones where there never come to a head. I was 33 with the skin of a teenager! Been using Skin & Me for almost a year now and I have finally found a routine that works for me. I’m also very oily!

Personally I’d avoid scrubs as this always irritated my skin. Try an acid based exfoliator rather than a harsh scrub such as an AHA/BHA toner such as Cosrx liquid BHA or Ole Henriksen balancing oil toner. I use cera ve foaming cleanser along with cosrx salicylic acid cleanser. The cera ve is gentle for everyday use and I use the cosrx cleanser 2-3 times a week.

As with anything, consistency is key and make sure to wash your face every morning and every night (twice in the night if you have make up on).

Remember you can also purge so stick at it as it may get worse before getting better.

View attachment 715781View attachment 715780

Have you considered a retinol eye cream/serum? Murad and Medik8 are worth looking at.

Ultimately you’ll never beat cosmetic treatments such as Botox, profhilo or surgical/non surgical blepharoplasty. I’d have eyelid surgery myself if I could justify the cost!! 😂
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I'm going to have a read up on the products you suggested. There are so many products out there I just didn't know where to start.

Personally if it was me I’d go for a consultation with someone local to you that has medical grade skin care like environ, image or alumier. Those three brands are great and get brilliant results. It’s hard to say what would suit as your skin type without a proper consultation and I wouldn’t want to recommend stuff and then it be a waste of money for you 😔

What I would say in the meantime tho is get a good probiotic, do not use any scrubs or acids, get good quality sleep and hook the h20 to your veins 😂
Thank you. I'll have a google and see if I can find someone local. I'm actually looking forward to finally getting my skin sorted out.

If it’s treatment for acne, and you don’t want to go down the route of seeing your GP and a lengthy referral for a dermatologist appointment (if you’re in the UK), I’d also recommend Dermatica or Skin + Me. They are online dermatology services who provide prescription treatments for skin conditions after a consultation.

I’ve been using Dermatica for 8 months (although not for acne in my case) and they’re fantastic.

I believe both companies work in pretty much the same way. Good luck 😊 Let us know what you decide to do.
Thank you so much. Yes, I'm in the UK. Tried my doctor and he wanted to put me on the pill which I didn't want. I want to treat the issue rather than just mask it by taking the pill.

Last edited:

mindlessness

VIP Member
I’ve been watching YouTube videos over the past couple of months to learn everything (I’m a total beginner to skincare) and it is bloody complicated and overwhelming to say the least! I JUST WANT A SIMPLE ROUTINE DAMMNIT! Peptides this, niacinimide that, retinol, vitamin C, use this with this and that, don’t use x if using y and z…I might just have a read through this thread instead and see if I can get some simpler answers 😆

So far, I’ve bought:

Strivectin: Wrinkle Recode line transforming melting serum, Super C spf 30 moisturizer, anti wrinkle Comforting Cream Cleanser

and

The Ordinary: Buffet Copper Peptides serum, Squalene Cleanser, Moisturizer HA something.

TBH I haven’t really got a clue about anything, apart from I’m starting to get fine wrinkles around the eyes and I don’t want it.
It is so overwhelming! My best advice would be to keep it as simple as possible. Start with the basics (Cleanser, Moisturiser, SPF) and then gradually add in the serums to figure out what is making a difference and what isn't.

Don't buy anything new until you know what you like and dislike of the products you have already. You'll have a better idea of what you want or need to add if you go slow.

Fakelove.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos from a girl named LaBeautyologist, and her videos have changed my life especially the 60 second rule (cleansing your face using your fingers only for at least 60 seconds) avoid really abrasive products like cleansers with exfoliating beads, exfoliating brushes etc. La Roche posay sunscreen is amazing especially if you have darker skin that is susceptible to scarring, in particular the spray version as you can reapply over make up and doesn’t leave a white caste.

Gembo

VIP Member
I’m no skin care expert but I didn’t want to read and run! At least you know why your skin isn’t so good at the moment as you know you’re not following a skin care routine and looking after it properly. Water is a really good start so hopefully that will help. I think you should keep it simple to start with, I was always trying to get into a routine but I’d about so many different products and get completely overwhelmed, I bought loads of things I never used and then just gave up

I think maybe find a brand you trust or have used before and just start with a cleanser, toner, maybe a serum and a good moisturiser. Plus an SPF for in the day, that’s really important. Try to stick to that for at least 6 weeks and then if you feel up to it you could maybe think about all the different vitamin serums, acids etc. But I really do think you just need to start off simple! good luck xx

Shineyshine

VIP Member
What to start using retinol, any good recommendations for a beginner?
La Roche Posay Retinol with B3 (mentioned in the post above). Comes in a dropper type bottle. It’s excellent. The B3 helps soothe the skin, but the retinol is still very effective, think it’s 0.3%. Olay do a similar product. Shop around though, don’t pay full price - LRP you can usually get at least 25% off somewhere, and Olay 15-20%.

The Ordinary do some retinol products as well but I haven’t tried those, they always look fairly complicated to me! Someone else may be able to point you in the right direction if you want to try one of those instead.

Base2019

VIP Member
Can I ask a quick question? I've started on LRP retinol which seems great. I understand it makes you more sun sensitive so I need to wear SPF.

How do you approach an actual holiday where you have a lot more exposure? (If that ever happens!) I presume you just stop using it but do you need to stop in advance?
Yes I would stop using it before your holiday, maybe a week or so before. Obv still slap on the SPF when your away 👌🏻🤣

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I only use it two or three times a week and never with retinol. I wouldn’t use any active ingredient with retinol as you could damage your skin barrier and it’ll take ages to recover. I use tretinoin nightly and use the Ren in the morning as and when I need it. Exercise caution and you’ll be fine 😊
I’ve been using it at night. Not sure if that’s right. I also have the REN jelly cleanser. I’m convinced these have helped my skin enormously over the last few days.
I’m also interested in the Dr Dennis peel that was mentioned further up.

under the ivy

VIP Member
Thanks guys, I'm a bit confused about the oil/balm + another cleanser though. Won't oil make my skin oilier? Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively cheap one? I've looked at the body shop tea tree stuff and it looks good - would that be the first or second cleanser?
Oil/balm cleanser breaks down any dirt and grime (makeup / spf) so it’s good to get rid of that first. Then a second cleanse can really clean your skin 😊 Body Shop Cammomile balm cleanser is really good for a balm cleanse, and their vitamin e cleanser would be a good second cleanse!

Libbylulu

VIP Member
This last week I’ve been using vitamin c serum morning and night and two people today told me I was looking good and had I done anything..... my skin does look very fresh and bright

mindlessness

VIP Member
Used to follow her pillow talks religiously when she first started but since she hit 100k she became so irritating...
I get that! Followers always make people’s head get a bit big don’t they. I like her because she is a derm and doesn’t do sponsorships. So feels more trustworthy than some other skin influencers Caroline Hirons etc).

Lalalalaaaaaa85

VIP Member
I watch a lot of YouTube videos from a girl named LaBeautyologist, and her videos have changed my life especially the 60 second rule (cleansing your face using your fingers only for at least 60 seconds) avoid really abrasive products like cleansers with exfoliating beads, exfoliating brushes etc. La Roche posay sunscreen is amazing especially if you have darker skin that is susceptible to scarring, in particular the spray version as you can reapply over make up and doesn’t leave a white caste.
Thank you so much for recommending Labeautologist! I’m obsessed with her now.

For anyone looking for some basic routine advice I found this video of hers really interesting. Obviously can’t speak for what the products are like but her recommendation to tone multiple times is something I’ve started to incorporate into my routine now.

Snowjoke

VIP Member
Caved and got the caudalie vinoperfect complexion correcting radiance serum that’s viral on Tik tok… actually love it!!! It’s apparently 62% more effective than vit c

HoGi

VIP Member
Like the other posters have said, always last. Although, if I remember rightly, I think Ultrasun instructions might be to apply their product to clean dry skin - something about it having to ‘bond’ to the skin first. But every other spf I’ve ever used (and I’ve tried tonnes), is to go on last.
Ooohhh that's interesting. I have some ultrasun and have been using it last as I didn't read the instructions.

I will check it in a min!

under the ivy

VIP Member
Vit C and spf will work together well in the day to prevent environmental damage like sun, pollution.

If you use vit c on a night, just don’t use any acids or retinol at the same time.

Base2019

VIP Member
I got one of these for Xmas but have no idea how to use it! Do you have any tips?
Keep it in the fridge if you want an extra depuffing effect. Always work from the inside out towards your ears as this will boost lymphatic drainage, normally do 10 times each side and move on to the next area. Apply a small amount of pressure but not so much that your skin is dragging. If you find skin dragging or you can’t get the amount of pressure right, use a facial oil to give a bit of slip. Works excellent under the eyes and jaw line 👌🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 3