Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

under the ivy

VIP Member
La Roche Posay Anthelios Spf 50 is my go to - you have to shake the bottle and it’s very runny when it comes out. But layers great over day cream and sits well under make-up.

I’m using an Avene spf 30 moisturiser too for days when I don’t leave the house.

Reactions: 6

HoGi

VIP Member
she definitely pushed back and trimmed my cuticles. I’m not convinced the nails got buffed, though, but they did get dehydrated. I have quite small nail beds because I’ve been a long term biter, so I don’t know if getting too close to the edges was unavoidable. I’ve got an at home gel kit and I’ve just ordered a bottle of BIAB, perhaps if I practice enough I’ll be able to do it myself, I was never going to make it to an infill this time!
Might be worth seeing is anyone near you offers IBX.

Instead of BIAB which is just a hard gel layer over your nail, IBX is a treatment that is actually absorbed by the nail and makes them stronger over time.

I have gel polish put over the top so I have something to show for going to the beautician haha. But my nails are the longest and strongest they have ever been since having it. Only took about 3 treatments (once every 3 weeks) for my nails to be strong enough to have them long. These are my natural nails no tips etc. And i managed to leave them for a further 4 weeks so they were really long by the time I got them infilled and no breakages/peeling/snapping etc.

Attachments

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper alternative/dupe to liz earle cleanse and polish? I need to cut costs and just can't justify repurchasing right now, but am scared to change something that has always worked so well for me.

ps a few months ago I asked for advice on my dry and slightly reddish skin (mild rosacea symptoms) and the advice I was given has TRANSFORMED my skin. I can't remember when I last had any dry patches, my pores have significantly reduced in size and I also can't remember the last time I had a spot either. So a huge thank you!
Superdrug’s B range is a good dupe for it.

I’m not sure I would ever recommend someone jumped into tretinoin if they were new to a skincare regime. I’ve occasionally overdone it with regular retinol which is much weaker, it’s so easily done!

MrsD33

VIP Member
Not really a product but I have recently started dry body brushing, mainly for cellulite reasons, hasn’t helped with that but it has made my skin so soft and glowy! Definitely worth adding it to your daily routines I think.
I dry body brush then after I’ve got washed in the shower I put baby oil on, rinse then after Im dry I put body lotion on.

Its made a massive difference to my skin.

littlepup

VIP Member
thank you so much this is so helpful!

oh sorry see i'm completely clueless! yes i blush and my face reacts to everything with redness like washing it etc. i'm always a little bit red on my cheeks and nose. i don't wear foundation, but the only reason i put concealer on is the redness
I would say then that you have sensitive, combination skin. The sensitive would be more important than the combination in choosing products. Since you don’t sound to have any major complaints I would keep it very simple as has been suggested, cleanse, moisturise and spf. Stick to light, basic formulas. You don’t want major actives or acids etc. Doesn’t sound as though your skin needs or will tolerate them, you really don’t want to damage your skin with skin care!
Cerave or Cetaphil basic cleanser and moisturiser would likely be a non irritating option then la Roche-posay spf 50.
Avene has an anti-redness creme and might be a good brand to look at. La Roche-posay also for the full routine. They both do full kits.
Dr. Sam Bunting’s range I’ve not used but could be a good option also.
those suggestions go from cheapest to priciest.
I would be reluctant to use a toner with lots of alcohol, I’d probably skin that step but maybe add a light eye cream/gel.

• Heart

mindlessness

VIP Member
If you are buying something to dampen skin before a serum I really reccomend one of those cans of spray water from the french beauty brands like Avene or LRP. I keep one in the fridge during summer as a little treat - defintiely reccomend for anyone in the UK this week!

VIP Member
Has anyone seen that on LookUnique website you can get a selection of samples for £3.95!!! Not just sachets but tubs and tubes too. So good for us that are working out what we need

• Wow

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I wish I could add pics without outing myself haha.. but my skin has absolutely transformed so I thought I’d share what I learned. I’m in my late 20s.

Before:
Freckles, fine lines, serious acne around chin and cheeks and some red/blotchy acne scarring.

Now:
Reversed ageing signs, less freckles, zero acne, scars slowly fading, and skin just glowy and plump in general.

Routine: before, cleansed, always toned with acids, used peels etc (way too harsh on my young acne prone skin...) please google tretinoin cream before and after pics if you’ve never looked into it before!

What I do now:

- Micellar markuo

- Cetaphil cleanser (non foaming one - doesn’t strip skin!)

- Prescription tretinoin cream (basically a very strong retinol) 0.05% (bought a shit load of it abroad but can buy here via skin + me)

- Niacinamide + zinc from the ordinary (helps with evening skin tone and reduces redness of my acne scarring)

- La Roche Posay lipikar Baume (moisturiser)

- La Roche Posay Shaka spf50.

What I learned from trying a LOT of products:

Essentially, skincare is a multi multi multi million pound industry designed to make us part with our hard earned £ in the hope of eternal youth/whatever other problem they’re trying to get us to fix. 99% of the products do fuck all other than feel or smell nice.

To truly have glowing youthful skin, no acne and waaaay slower ageing process, all you need is the only two products *shown scientifically* to slow or reverse ageing: retinol (prescription strength tretinoin if you can - otherwise it doesn’t do anything dramatic) and a really good SPF which you wear every day without fail. Then whatever moisturiser or gentle cleaners you like.

Hope that helps someone! I remember being in Caroline Hirons skincare group for ages and feeling bad for not spending hundreds on skin kits or not buying the latest hot product, and the truth is that my cheap-ish simple routine has totally changed my skin x quote my post if you have any questions x
Totally agree with you. A simple routine is the best, with as few products as possible, and restrict the actives. Best thing I ever did was stop listening to the likes of Hirons, who just want to sell you expensive products and take their cut.

The only thing that has ever really made any noticeable difference to my skin is tretinoin. I wish I’d started on it when I was about 5 years younger, but it’s never too late to make a difference 😊

Also wish I’d used more sunscreen when I was younger, but they weren’t so hot on it when I was a teenager back in the 80s and early 90s. I’m trying to make up for it now though, going through buckets of the stuff!

petitspois

VIP Member
Well, thanks to recommendations on this thread (from @under the ivy and @Shineyshine), I've added some additions to my almost non-existent skin care regime. I was pretty good until lockdown but the serums and actives seem to have appeared from nowhere so I was well behind the curve on what I needed to be using.

My routine for the last 3 weeks has been:

AM
Liz Earle or Superdrug hot cloth cleanser
Superdrug Vit c serum
(NIOD Fractionated eye contour concentrate and Strivectin peptight tightening eye serum - these two are new and I saw them recommended for under eye hollows, I got them as a complete experiment)
Body Shop drops of youth
Neutrogena Hydro Boost moisturiser
Ambre Solaire super UV spf

PM
Micellar water
Liz Earle or Superdrug hot cloth cleanser
NIOD Fractionated eye contour concentrate and Strivectin peptight tightening eye serum
La Roche Posay 0.3% retinol and B3.
Body Shop drops of youth
Neutrogena Hydro Boost moisturiser

I am not 100% sure I am doing it all right by any means but my skin looks noticeably smoother and more refined. Of course, the issue I now have is not knowing what products are working and what are not as I started so much at the same time but I suspect it's the retinol tbh.

• Heart

Base2019

VIP Member
Can anyone help me out...

I started my first "proper" skin care routine for the first time roughly in April if not before, and my skin has been breaking out intermittently ever since, mainly on my chin and forehead. Although I am a complete novice so my new routine could be wrong/no good and I'd be none the wiser.
At first I knew to expect the skin to purge but 3 months later and my skin has never been this bad.. it looks like I have acne on my chin.

Any advice much appreciated.

AM:
Cleanser (only at weekends really)
Paula's choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Every couple of days, hyaluronic acid and Vitamin C serum
Moisturiser

PM:
Oil based Cleanser (if wearing make up that day)
Cleanser
Paula's choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Eye cream & night cream

Please cut out the Paula’s choice bha, acid exfoliation twice a day is definitely a no no. If you cut this out your skin will thank you. When your skin recovers if you are missing the exfoliation you can phase it back in gradually but definitely don’t use it twice a day. Vitamin c can also be reactive with bha so this could also be your issue. Drop the bha for a while and see if it improves, which I think it will 🤗🤗 p.s please cleanse every day and not just at weekends 🥺😂

• Heart

ispywithmylittleeye59

has any one got a minute to offer some words of wisdom? as i have a feeling fillers might be my only option.

i have developed a vertical wrinkle at the side of my forehead. after a bit of googling its caused by sleeping on my side/stomach rather than the typical wrinkles caused by using the muscle.

is there anything that can help this? i already use retinol most nights and the perricone md moisturizer. i also use a hyaluronic acid although i dont know what that does.

i dont think botox will help because its not caused by the muscle movement as such.

has any one experienced this or have and advice on a product that may help?
A silk pillowcase might help?

Reactions: 5
D4CD5FDA-79D6-4F01-A378-64E029A3EB18.jpeg

Anyone what is missing the original liz Earle face cream and has a TK Maxx they can go to i bought 4 yesterday as my skin loves it and I’m so sad it’s gone.

• Heart

mindlessness

VIP Member
Does anyone know any good products for fine lines (around the mouth area/cheeks) and a product that helps with sun damage? :) I mostly use products from Avene, La Roche Posay, the ordinary, paula’s choice, cerave,... thx!!🤗
Have you tried The Ordinary's Niacinamide? That might help with the sun damage. Or actually - the La Roche Posay Retinol with B3 (aka Niacinamide) mentioned before in this thread could be a good two-for-one product. It should help address both the sun damage and the fine lines. Plus SPF! For future prevention.

Paula's Choice and Inkey List also have good Niacinamide and Retinol products too.

• Heart

hydeist

Chatty Member
This is only slightly related but because I posted previously about my shitty skin - I've been struggling with really dry peely eczema type problems on my face and hands for the last few months. Unrelated, I decided to start cutting out sugary food from my diet over the last short while (literally a week) and IT IS A MIRACLE. My face is clearing up, my hands aren't cracking. If anyone else is dealing with painful peeling skin or cracking I really recommend at least trying it for a week to see if it helps you.

• Wow

openbook1

VIP Member
I'm learning so much here!
Please can you suggest products/skincare routine for my 15 year old daughter? At the moment I'm encouraging her to cleanse with miscellar water (she doesn't wear make-up) and moisturise (with spf).
I'd like her to get into some really good habits, but I'm a little clueless myself (I'm very low maintenance ha ha).
Thank you 😊
Good ideas. I started wearing SPF daily when I was 18 and do look a lot younger than my peers I think...less sun damage and wrinkles. Not drinking or taking drugs also played a part. HA.
Have a look at Cerave cleanser. It is gentle.

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend me a good SPF50 sunscreen for under makeup? I have normal-slightly dry skin which dries up as the day goes on.

I have tried the Bobbi Brown primer SPF and Zitsticka serum SPF so far, the BB looks greasy at first and then causes my foundation to crease and separate as it wears. The Zitsticka is a nicer finish at first but as a matte SPF my face then dries up a lot worse over the course of the day.
I love La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF under make up, Bondi Sands face spf is gorgeous too and also love the Elizabeth Arden prevage city smart spf too! 😊 If your skin is drying up, are you lacking hydration in your routine?

• Heart