Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

DanaScully

Chatty Member
Has anyone here tried bentonite clay, AKA the aztec healing clay? I've been struggling with my skin for years and I feel like I've finally found my holy grail! It's fading all of my acne scars and my skin is so much brighter and clearer, and I've only used it three times.

You mix it with apple cider vinegar and mix with something that isn't metal. You might experience extreme redness (which is normal) but it goes down after around an hour. I use it twice a week after cleansing.

You can also use it on hair or apparently for smelly armpits and feet. It's wonderful, I'd highly recommend! 😊

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 5

regularvoltaire

New to this thread but I've been trying to get on track with my skincare the past year. Trying to find what works best etc.
My routine at the min is morning..
Micellar water
Superdrug Glycolic Acid Toner (use this morning and night, is this too much?)
Superdrug Naturally Radiant Glow Prebiotic Booster Serum
then a moisturiser with spf
Evening..the same, apart from double cleanse and night cream.

I've recently just invested in some acids from Superdrug in a little set but am hesitant to use them.

I have combination skin and suffer from hormonal acne on chin and jawline (currently have 2 painful spots on either side of my jaw 🙄)

One of the acids i got is nicainamide which I've read is good for spots? Is this safe to use with the Glycolic acid toner, or should I ditch this on the days i use nicainamide?

Edit to add..I've also just added an Nivea Q10 eye cream to my routine as I'm 35 now and the wrinkles are starting to show 😂
Glycolic needs to be 1-2 times per week really in a decent strength, otherwise your skin will get to used to it. The point is that it takes the tip layer off your skin, sparking a reaction in your immune system to send the vitamins needed to rebuild the layer.

Don't worry too much about lots of products. A moisturising serusm, plus Glycolic a couple of times a week, plus a decent moisturiser and a double cleanse is all you need. Don't get taken in by the hype. Xxx

Base2019

VIP Member
I’ve been trying out a new face mask over the last few weeks and it’s fab!!! It’s by a company called Q & A... I got their activated charcoal mask for my chin to help with a bit of texture from mask wearing... it has been unreal! Like way better than the spendy environ clay masque I also have. would highly recommend it to anyone wanting rid of texture, maskne or even hormonal kinda breakouts around your chin!

I think it was like £6 😱

mindlessness

VIP Member
@bubble_T As well as all @liliUk 's excellent advice, you might want to look in to a company like Dermatica or Skin and Me (there are normally codes floating around onlinefor discounts). They do prescription skin treatments, and I have heard good things from otther tattlers!

• Heart

littlepup

VIP Member
Does anybody have any tips/had good experiences for helping large pores?
Despite claims of various skincare brands, from what I understand you can’t shrink large pores, just minimise their appearance. Estée Lauder’s idealist is really good for this but it’s pricy. They should give you a decent size sample however. There’s lots of products that will decrease their visibility but they are cosmetic rather than skin-care as such. Silicone primers will fill and blur them for instance. I think it helps to keep skin looking fairly matt so that the light doesn’t reflect around them.

With eye cream it depends if your problem is puffiness, creepiness, dark circles... so on. The skin thins around the eyes but one of the best things is to not run and drag the eye area.
This probably isn’t ok and will get removed but you’re allowed to ‘look inside’ on amazon 🤷🏼‍♀️ below is Caroline Hiron’s take. I don’t like her, the book was a gift yesterday And I’ve not read it as yet, but I think she generally knows what she’s talking about.
48A5E1E2-402D-409D-A4DC-23EA76B6709C.jpeg

Last edited:

under the ivy

VIP Member
Sorry for the questions but could I use this in the morning and the LRP retinol in the night? (just ordered that one)
Don’t be sorry! I’m glad I can help with what ‘knowledge’ I have 🤣

Yeah you can. Although if you’re new to retinol then maybe skip a day with the vit c on a morning as your skin will be sensitive from the retinol on a morning.

• Heart

nbt

VIP Member
Thanks everyone! It never happens at night with my night moisturiser, so I’ll lose the oil in the morning and just stick with it at night.

under the ivy

VIP Member
My skin has started pilling. I think that’s what it is, after googling.

It’s only in the mornings and I’ve not changed my routine recently. I use:

The Ordinary Niacinamide
Eye cream
Elemis pro collagen marine cream
Face oil (which is when it starts pilling)
SPF

Should I just leave out the face oil for a bit? Is it maybe that the Elemis and face oil aren’t a good mix?

I’ve tried leaving a good 15/20 mins for it to soak in properly and that doesn’t make a difference.
I think marine cream has dimethicone (silicone) in it which might not get on well with the oil. Try using the oil on a night with a non-silicone moisturiser.

under the ivy

VIP Member
Yeah stop using the retinol about a week before and slather on the SPF!

I agree that simple skincare routines are the best. I do think a hydrating serum and a vit c serum work and are essential for me.

Peachy9

VIP Member
I've been struggling on and off for about 4 years with very bad hormonal acne on my jaw and chin. Often painful under the skin spots and large whiteheads. I'd have maybe 2 days in my cycle where it would calm, then it'd flare again. The only thing that had worked before was lymecyclin from my GP and topical only seemed to inflame or dry my skin out.

I was influenced (🥴) on insta to try Skin+Me... You send photos and do a questionnaire to the dermatologists and they send you your topical prescription. I got a free month, now its £20 per month which is still less than I paid on various skin care. I have zero spots for the first time in 4 years! I am genuinely amazed.
My prescription is tretinoin, clindamycin and azeliac acid. Its a nice metal click stick applicant, seems very effective. 5 stars 👌

Any recommendations for an effective moisterisure for sensitive/spot prone skin though? Can't seem to find one rich enough that doesn't sting 🙁

• Heart

aimzalicious

VIP Member
Anyone got any blackhead tips? I’ve never had them and now have some on my nose, I think it’s lockdown life. I bought some blackhead tools and they seem to help but I have to be careful to not make the area sore.
I'd recommend the Cerave salicylic acid cleaner or getting yourself a BHA. The Paula's Choice BHA is probably the most popular on the market - I haven't tried it yet but so many of my friends love it! With BHA's use once a week before working your way up. You can get a travel-size one for £9 that apparently lasts ages so you're not spending money on the full-size bottle. And with consistent use of BHA/salicylic acid, it should reduce your blackheads a lot!

• Heart

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Does anyone have any experience with glycolic acid? I use the Vichy ampoules, which are amazing, but so expensive. I need a cheaper alternative?
I second the Ren ready steady glow, it’s amazing - I just buy the smallest bottle and it lasts ages as you use so little to get a great result. Just a couple of times a week does the trick.

I’ve tried other brands but they feel too harsh, the Ren is more gentle on the skin.

Sticky One

VIP Member
Just ordered myself a Paula’s choice bha and cosrx all in one cream. My skin isn’t terrible and I’m not sure if I have many problems as such but I have large pours and I just love a bit of skincare. Hope I love these new bits

• Heart

mindlessness

VIP Member
I really want to buy some medik8 products - the ‘strongest’ products I use are the alpha wipes from Dr Dennis Gross and Murad retinol moisturiser. But I noticed a line from my mouth recently and need to up the ante 🃏 Is anyone following a mostly medik8 regime? My skin is combination, few fine lines and very tolerant to retinol. I know you’re not meant to mix certain things? so don’t want to buy stuff I can’t use together.
I had a facial recently and was chatting to the beautician about the Medik8 Retinal products. She really rated them. My skin is super sensitive so she recommended I start on the 3 before working my way up to 10 tube by tube. But if you have hardier skin that I do, you could probably handle the 6 or 10?

• Heart

Tommyb

Chatty Member
Hi guys! What’s the general consensus on zit protocol? I’m very lucky that now I’m in a routine I seem to only really get one major zit a month but they are SO obvious on my face - usually around the mouth or chin. My skin is in much better position than it was two years ago and I think they’re generally hormonal, but what should I be doing once I’ve got them? Is it a case of live and let live for the four days it takes for it to bugger off or are there any must haves for getting rid? I tried the origins stuff a couple of years ago and it didn’t seem to do much.
Mario badescu drying lotion. It's about £16 for a pot but it lasts ages. It has a paste like substance at the bottom and you drag it through a liquid substance and just dab a bit on the spot. If you haven't touched the spot it will greatly reduce and possibly even go the next day. I kid you not. I always have one in case as I don't get many anymore but it's really great for hormonal spots and the under the skin ones.

• Heart

DailyGlitter

Hello everyone, I'm new on this thread. In my early 30s and I'm starting to notice fine lines on my forehead and around my mouth. My skin is quite dry/dehydrated so I haven't ever really struggled with spots or acne but dehydration makes the fine lines more prominent in my case, which makes me feel like the wrinkles are coming faster than they actually are. I have a tiny sample size of Sunday Riley Luna oil, which I'm trying to finish before I move on to my The Ordinary retinoid serum.

I don't want to get botox just yet, no prejudice against it. I'm just a bit frail mental health and self image wise, so I feel like it would be a slippery slope for me. I want to build a good routine with bare minimum steps. At the moment, I just want to introduce a decent serum/treatment routine for early signs of aging, and maybe to brighten skin.

My existing routine is pretty bare bones. I don't use a face wash, except if I've worn some concealer that day, or if I've been out and about a lot. Apart from that, it's just washing my face with water, moisturizing and SPF. (And the serum at night.) Has anyone used the Luna oil? Do you really find that retinol/retinoids work? And anyone has other suggestions?

a bare bones routine is good - basically all you need to address ageing/skin maintenance is a decent cleanser, SPF and a retinoid/retinol that your skin tolerates- then if you want to add Vitamin C and in your case moisturiser. Thats all you need really. Everything else is optional. Obviously if you have acne/specific skin issues then you need to address those but the above is the core of good skincare.

I really rate the products from Superdrug’s various own lines, which are well priced and usually on offer. The only downside is there have been 3 products I’ve really liked of theirs that have been discontinued in the last 2-3 years which is a tad annoying!
It honestly is a nightmare! I got Caroline’s book fairly recently, after buying a load of LRP skincare, (buying what was recommended via their online skincare quiz), and ending up with the worlds greasiest moisturiser and a toner which was far too strong for my sensitive skin.

I then bought about 5 products from The Ordinary, again the actives were far too much for me (despite them being the gentlest ones and recommended for sensgiceand made my skin worse, although I did like the cleanser and moisturiser. Probably spent about £80 up to this point and no better off 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have now stripped everything back to a dermatica prescription and a hydrating cleanser and moisturiser. However, I bought CeraVe cleanser and moisturiser, and neutrogena’s hydration gel as it seemed to be everyone’s recommendations for pretty much anything on the skincare freaks Facebook page.. and don’t really think they’re great either. The neutrogena one is soooo fragranced it made my skin react instantly.

Part of me thinks I should have just carried on doing what I was before with my usual products. I also really wish I’d read Caroline’s thread on here before getting that book 😂🤦🏻‍♀️