Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The best sunscreen I have ever used is the Biore Aqua Watery Essence - it's a dream to apply and there is absolutely no white cast/greasyness. The only downside is that it usually takes a good 3-4 weeks to arrive from Japan on Amazon...

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good daily SPF (preferably SPF 50) that goes well under makeup and doesn't leave a white cast/greasy film? I've tried La Roche Posay but couldn't really use it properly as it had such a white cast and pilled. :(

Also how much sunscreen does everyone here apply lol? I know the official recommendation seems to be 1/4 tsp which is surprisingly quite a lot. I have a small face though so could probably get away with applying a bit less. I find it tricky to find a sunscreen where you're applying a sufficient amount but without looking like a greasy mess or a ghost lol

Reactions: 7
The best sunscreen I have ever used is the Biore Aqua Watery Essence - it's a dream to apply and there is absolutely no white cast/greasyness. The only downside is that it usually takes a good 3-4 weeks to arrive from Japan on Amazon...

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good daily SPF (preferably SPF 50) that goes well under makeup and doesn't leave a white cast/greasy film? I've tried La Roche Posay but couldn't really use it properly as it had such a white cast and pilled. :(

Also how much sunscreen does everyone here apply lol? I know the official recommendation seems to be 1/4 tsp which is surprisingly quite a lot. I have a small face though so could probably get away with applying a bit less. I find it tricky to find a sunscreen where you're applying a sufficient amount but without looking like a greasy mess or a ghost lol
corsx aloe vera sunscreen is really nice. Light and doesn’t leave a white residue.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Determine your skin type, and only then choose your skin care products. I like Korean cosmetics, but be sure to read the ingredients, make sure they are natural.

I have never found anything really effective for clogged pores/ blackheads on the nose. Tried all sorts of products and face masks, which help a bit but never completely remove them . Any ideas?

I follow this skincare routine - https://www.beautsly.com/skincare-guide

Except I don’t use a cleanser because I’m a lazy bum. I just use micellar water. That Bioderma micellar water is amazing. I cannot believe I used to use makeup wipes when I was younger!

My skin is looking so much better now, especially since using tretinoin!! Omg I wish I knew about it 10 years ago 😭 I hardly ever wear makeup these days. I never thought that would ever happen lol
Did you get this on prescription?I know its good for anti ageing, but obviously doctors won’t prescribe it for that. I know you can get it from abroad but some websites look dodgy. Wish I could get it over the counter!

The best sunscreen I have found (and have been wearing them on my face daily since I was 19- so I have tried them all!) is Jasons Sunbrellas.

I have never found anything really effective for clogged pores/ blackheads on the nose. Tried all sorts of products and face masks, which help a bit but never completely remove them . Any ideas?

Did you get this on prescription?I know its good for anti ageing, but obviously doctors won’t prescribe it for that. I know you can get it from abroad but some websites look dodgy. Wish I could get it over the counter!
I have gone through serious maskne recently and my skin has never been in worse condition. Followed some skin care groups for advice and noticed people were mentioning tretonin and how they got their personalised prescriptions on Skin+Me. Did a bit of research and signed up, Sali Hughes mentioned it too recently so thought it can't hurt! Have been using mine for about 3 weeks and it sorted my maskne out almost completely and my skin is literally the best it's been in aaaages.

Gonna keep trying it but just something that could be a little more secure than dodgy websites! I know there is a similar popular prescription site - if I find the name I'll edit this!
EDIT: Dermatica was the other one! Haven't tried it but just in case you wanna look them up.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Dr Sam Bunting’s range? I like the idea of just having 3-4 products and that cover all bases
I really like Dr Sam's products, especially the flawless cleanser and light moisturiser. I like her straightforward approach to skincare. I'm 40 and have combination skin.

Reactions: 1
I have gone through serious maskne recently and my skin has never been in worse condition. Followed some skin care groups for advice and noticed people were mentioning tretonin and how they got their personalised prescriptions on Skin+Me. Did a bit of research and signed up, Sali Hughes mentioned it too recently so thought it can't hurt! Have been using mine for about 3 weeks and it sorted my maskne out almost completely and my skin is literally the best it's been in aaaages.

Gonna keep trying it but just something that could be a little more secure than dodgy websites! I know there is a similar popular prescription site - if I find the name I'll edit this!
EDIT: Dermatica was the other one! Haven't tried it but just in case you wanna look them up.
I’ve seen this and considered giving it a go.. How does the serum/cream they provide fit into a skin routine? Do you cleanse, tone etc then just use this only and no other products?

I’ve been doing my skincare routine religiously since beginning of November but I’m getting spots daily on my cheeks/jawline, I was trying to see it out as I know you skin can purge with new skincare but I’m at the stage where I have had to start eliminating/swapping and reducing usage of some products, I only go shopping a couple of times per week so mask usage is minimal so don’t think it is maskne 😫

hi :)
i've never really had a skincare routine (i'm 27) as i've been very lucky with my skin, but i'm now at a point where i want to take care of it. but i know nothing about skincare! my skin is definitely combination skin, i get oily in the t zone but the rest is quite dry. the one slight issue i have with my skin is hyperpigmentation, i get red very easily. i have some freckles around the nose and cheeks. i only really get spots on my forehead.
that's about it, if anyone has recommendations for both products and a routine, let me know, thank you 🖤

i've never really had a skincare routine (i'm 27) as i've been very lucky with my skin, but i'm now at a point where i want to take care of it. but i know nothing about skincare! my skin is definitely combination skin, i get oily in the t zone but the rest is quite dry. the one slight issue i have with my skin is hyperpigmentation, i get red very easily. i have some freckles around the nose and cheeks. i only really get spots on my forehead.
that's about it, if anyone has recommendations for both products and a routine, let me know, thank you 🖤
hi I'm not really versed on what a combination skin needs, probably different masks, and products that are for all skin types or one or more skin types. But in terms of a routine heres are the steps for the morning(others might add on); cleanser,toner (verify that your skin needs this), serums(specific vitamins do different things C is good for anti aging and E is good for dry skin, might be B for you? you can mix some together btw, moisterizer, eye cream (with retinol to avoid crows feet),spf (every bleeping day!!). I would also say that you could do a mask after cleansing/toning your skin (which mask depends on your needs) maybe once or twice a week? I also like to add eye pads/masks after my eyecream once-twice a week.

It's good to do research and know what you need and what to avoid in products cause some may be marked "for combination skin" but might not have the ingredient that will benefit you the most and thus not be worth the money.

If you've never had a routine before I'd say to perhaps start a simple morning and night one that you can stick to (the order I gave is important). So Cleanse, moisterize, spf then if you can stick to that build up and do more.

• Heart
Hyperpigmentation is dark patches.
Getting red very easily is a different issue. Do you mean red in the sun or you blush or your face goes red when you wash it or....?

hi I'm not really versed on what a combination skin needs, probably different masks, and products that are for all skin types or one or more skin types. But in terms of a routine heres are the steps for the morning(others might add on); cleanser,toner (verify that your skin needs this), serums(specific vitamins do different things C is good for anti aging and E is good for dry skin, might be B for you? you can mix some together btw, moisterizer, eye cream (with retinol to avoid crows feet),spf (every bleeping day!!). I would also say that you could do a mask after cleansing/toning your skin (which mask depends on your needs) maybe once or twice a week? I also like to add eye pads/masks after my eyecream once-twice a week.

It's good to do research and know what you need and what to avoid in products cause some may be marked "for combination skin" but might not have the ingredient that will benefit you the most and thus not be worth the money.

If you've never had a routine before I'd say to perhaps start a simple morning and night one that you can stick to (the order I gave is important). So Cleanse, moisterize, spf then if you can stick to that build up and do more.
thank you so much this is so helpful!
Hyperpigmentation is dark patches.
Getting red very easily is a different issue. Do you mean red in the sun or you blush or your face goes red when you wash it or....?
oh sorry see i'm completely clueless! yes i blush and my face reacts to everything with redness like washing it etc. i'm always a little bit red on my cheeks and nose. i don't wear foundation, but the only reason i put concealer on is the redness

• Heart
thank you so much this is so helpful!

oh sorry see i'm completely clueless! yes i blush and my face reacts to everything with redness like washing it etc. i'm always a little bit red on my cheeks and nose. i don't wear foundation, but the only reason i put concealer on is the redness
I would say then that you have sensitive, combination skin. The sensitive would be more important than the combination in choosing products. Since you don’t sound to have any major complaints I would keep it very simple as has been suggested, cleanse, moisturise and spf. Stick to light, basic formulas. You don’t want major actives or acids etc. Doesn’t sound as though your skin needs or will tolerate them, you really don’t want to damage your skin with skin care!
Cerave or Cetaphil basic cleanser and moisturiser would likely be a non irritating option then la Roche-posay spf 50.
Avene has an anti-redness creme and might be a good brand to look at. La Roche-posay also for the full routine. They both do full kits.
Dr. Sam Bunting’s range I’ve not used but could be a good option also.
those suggestions go from cheapest to priciest.
I would be reluctant to use a toner with lots of alcohol, I’d probably skin that step but maybe add a light eye cream/gel.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I would say then that you have sensitive, combination skin. The sensitive would be more important than the combination in choosing products. Since you don’t sound to have any major complaints I would keep it very simple as has been suggested, cleanse, moisturise and spf. Stick to light, basic formulas. You don’t want major actives or acids etc. Doesn’t sound as though your skin needs or will tolerate them, you really don’t want to damage your skin with skin care!
Cerave or Cetaphil basic cleanser and moisturiser would likely be a non irritating option then la Roche-posay spf 50.
Avene has an anti-redness creme and might be a good brand to look at. La Roche-posay also for the full routine. They both do full kits.
Dr. Sam Bunting’s range I’ve not used but could be a good option also.
those suggestions go from cheapest to priciest.
I would be reluctant to use a toner with lots of alcohol, I’d probably skin that step but maybe add a light eye cream/gel.
thank you so much, this is very helpful!
i wouldn't use a toner with lots of alcohol either as i think my skin would flare up from it

I tried retinol before Christmas and I have never in my life had such bad skin because of something. It was awful like you see on the adverts before and after. It took me weeks to clear my skin and never again will I touch it. For me it just wasn't worth the purge.
Please look into the side affects

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.