Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d highly recommend Skin & Me or Dermatica. They are prescription tretinoins with other active ingredients catered to your skin type and specific concerns.

I suffered terribly with spots on my chin, jaw and neck. The ones where there never come to a head. I was 33 with the skin of a teenager! Been using Skin & Me for almost a year now and I have finally found a routine that works for me. I’m also very oily!

Personally I’d avoid scrubs as this always irritated my skin. Try an acid based exfoliator rather than a harsh scrub such as an AHA/BHA toner such as Cosrx liquid BHA or Ole Henriksen balancing oil toner. I use cera ve foaming cleanser along with cosrx salicylic acid cleanser. The cera ve is gentle for everyday use and I use the cosrx cleanser 2-3 times a week.

As with anything, consistency is key and make sure to wash your face every morning and every night (twice in the night if you have make up on).

Remember you can also purge so stick at it as it may get worse before getting better.

View attachment 715781View attachment 715780

Have you considered a retinol eye cream/serum? Murad and Medik8 are worth looking at.

Ultimately you’ll never beat cosmetic treatments such as Botox, profhilo or surgical/non surgical blepharoplasty. I’d have eyelid surgery myself if I could justify the cost!! 😂
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I'm going to have a read up on the products you suggested. There are so many products out there I just didn't know where to start.

Personally if it was me I’d go for a consultation with someone local to you that has medical grade skin care like environ, image or alumier. Those three brands are great and get brilliant results. It’s hard to say what would suit as your skin type without a proper consultation and I wouldn’t want to recommend stuff and then it be a waste of money for you 😔

What I would say in the meantime tho is get a good probiotic, do not use any scrubs or acids, get good quality sleep and hook the h20 to your veins 😂
Thank you. I'll have a google and see if I can find someone local. I'm actually looking forward to finally getting my skin sorted out.

If it’s treatment for acne, and you don’t want to go down the route of seeing your GP and a lengthy referral for a dermatologist appointment (if you’re in the UK), I’d also recommend Dermatica or Skin + Me. They are online dermatology services who provide prescription treatments for skin conditions after a consultation.

I’ve been using Dermatica for 8 months (although not for acne in my case) and they’re fantastic.

I believe both companies work in pretty much the same way. Good luck 😊 Let us know what you decide to do.
Thank you so much. Yes, I'm in the UK. Tried my doctor and he wanted to put me on the pill which I didn't want. I want to treat the issue rather than just mask it by taking the pill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I'm going to have a read up on the products you suggested. There are so many products out there I just didn't know where to start.

Thank you. I'll have a google and see if I can find someone local. I'm actually looking forward to finally getting my skin sorted out.

Thank you so much. Yes, I'm in the UK. Tried my doctor and he wanted to put me on the pill which I didn't want. I want to treat the issue rather than just mask it by taking the pill.
Can I suggest a more gentle approach? By all means the prescribed products might be what works for you but I had very similar skin to yours and mine is now much clearer than it was and I stopped using all the harsh scrubs and masks.
I use Simple Hydrating Face oil followed by miscellar water to double cleanse every night. Just use the miscellar water in the morning.
I spritz my face with water and use The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic acid mostly day and night. I found The Ordinary niacinamide and zinc really good for making my skin less oily and Pixi Glow tonic is the only thing I’ve found to get rid of blackheads so could just use this on them if too harsh for all over.
I also use rose hip oil at night and then a moisturiser on top. I moisturise and wear SPF50 every day.
I occasionally use a vitamin C serum but not used consistently enough to notice a difference.
For those really big, painful spots, Acnecide cream is fab, really shrinks them and clears them quickly. When my skin breaks out I also like The Ordinary’s salicylic acid face mask.
Im a big fan of The Ordinary! Their products are cheap too so good to experiment with and if they don’t work then at least you haven’t spent a fortune. After years of using really harsh products, a gentler approach is what’s worked for me. Oil and hydration is usually what oily skin needs, as weird as it sounds.
Hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: 2
Medical grade skincare is a marketing term. I spent £270 on Zo “medical grade” skincare which made no difference to my skin. Absolute waste of money.
Omg same, I expected so much and all it did was my make my skin shiny 🤣 The amount I paid still hurts me!

I have one of those ‘vampire facials’ on Thursday. I won it in a charity night at the aesthetics place I go. I’ve never had one. Has anyone else had one?

Reactions: 1
Omg same, I expected so much and all it did was my make my skin shiny 🤣 The amount I paid still hurts me!
I found too that the person I had to buy it off soon disappeared when she’d had my money and I had problems! Didn’t even answer any of my messages when my chin looked like I’d washed my face with sandpaper.

• Wow
I’d highly recommend Skin & Me or Dermatica. They are prescription tretinoins with other active ingredients catered to your skin type and specific concerns.

I suffered terribly with spots on my chin, jaw and neck. The ones where there never come to a head. I was 33 with the skin of a teenager! Been using Skin & Me for almost a year now and I have finally found a routine that works for me. I’m also very oily!

Personally I’d avoid scrubs as this always irritated my skin. Try an acid based exfoliator rather than a harsh scrub such as an AHA/BHA toner such as Cosrx liquid BHA or Ole Henriksen balancing oil toner. I use cera ve foaming cleanser along with cosrx salicylic acid cleanser. The cera ve is gentle for everyday use and I use the cosrx cleanser 2-3 times a week.

As with anything, consistency is key and make sure to wash your face every morning and every night (twice in the night if you have make up on).

Remember you can also purge so stick at it as it may get worse before getting better.

View attachment 715781View attachment 715780

Have you considered a retinol eye cream/serum? Murad and Medik8 are worth looking at.

Ultimately you’ll never beat cosmetic treatments such as Botox, profhilo or surgical/non surgical blepharoplasty. I’d have eyelid surgery myself if I could justify the cost!! 😂
Thanks for mentioning the retinol. I just checked my The Ordinary and Strivectin serums and I think they don’t have retinol. And then I found a YouTube video to understand more about retinol. I like the sound of it and I will order The Ordinary 0.5% retinol in squalene soon, planning to incorporate it into my nighttime routine.

Re: cosmetic treatments you mentioned, I’m definitely game for that! Just not right now, as I’m only just accepting that I’m turning into an old hag 😆. I’ll give the newly-fangled skincare routines a go for maybe two years or so and see how it goes. Then I’ll consider a more drastic approach.

BTW for anyone who’s dark (4-6 on Fitzpatrick Scale) I’ve been watching Dr Vanita Rattan on YouTube and she specializes in skincare for dark skin and she seems very knowledgeable, I think she’s worth watching.

Last edited:
I signed up to be a Beauty Bible tester a couple of months ago and my parcel was dispached yesterday! I'm getting my forms I need to fill out through email today which I'm hoping will have a list of the products I'll be testing as I can't wait!

I have one of those ‘vampire facials’ on Thursday. I won it in a charity night at the aesthetics place I go. I’ve never had one. Has anyone else had one?
I'd recommend also asking here: https://tattle.life/threads/beyond-skincare-2-beauty-devices-and-procedures.18278/

Reactions: 3
Got my list of products I'm trialing! Even more excited for the parcel to arrive now!

BODY BUTTERBeauty Pie Super Healthy Skin Deluxe Body Moisture Crème
CLEANSING - WASHErborian Centella Cleansing Gel
DARK SPOT TREATMENTDoctors Cosmeceuticals Vitamin C Serum
EYE TREATMENTCharlotte Tilbury Magic Eye Rescue
FACIAL EXFOLIATORErno Laszlo Brightening Dual Phase Peel
FOOT TREATTropic Polishing Foot Pebble
HAND SANITISERthis works stress check hand shield
MIRACLE TREATMENT - SERUMClinique Even Better Clinical Radical Dark Spot Corrector + Interrupter
TINTED MOISTURISERecooking Tinted Day Cream
BRONZERDr. Hauschka Translucent Bronzing Tint

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Got my list of products I'm trialing! Even more excited for the parcel to arrive now!

BODY BUTTERBeauty Pie Super Healthy Skin Deluxe Body Moisture Crème
CLEANSING - WASHErborian Centella Cleansing Gel
DARK SPOT TREATMENTDoctors Cosmeceuticals Vitamin C Serum
EYE TREATMENTCharlotte Tilbury Magic Eye Rescue
FACIAL EXFOLIATORErno Laszlo Brightening Dual Phase Peel
FOOT TREATTropic Polishing Foot Pebble
HAND SANITISERthis works stress check hand shield
MIRACLE TREATMENT - SERUMClinique Even Better Clinical Radical Dark Spot Corrector + Interrupter
TINTED MOISTURISERecooking Tinted Day Cream
BRONZERDr. Hauschka Translucent Bronzing Tint
Some good brands coming your way! I’ve been tempted by that Dr Hauschka tint for a while so definitely curious how you get on with it!

Some good brands coming your way! I’ve been tempted by that Dr Hauschka tint for a while so definitely curious how you get on with it!
I'm quite looking forward to that too - will let you know of course! I'm hoping it'll make blending my facial tan with my body a bit easier for when I forget to apply fake tan in the evening (I use tret and sometimes acids so I have to do it every bloody day!)

I'm learning so much here!
Please can you suggest products/skincare routine for my 15 year old daughter? At the moment I'm encouraging her to cleanse with miscellar water (she doesn't wear make-up) and moisturise (with spf).
I'd like her to get into some really good habits, but I'm a little clueless myself (I'm very low maintenance ha ha).
Thank you 😊

Please can you suggest products/skincare routine for my 15 year old daughter? At the moment I'm encouraging her to cleanse with miscellar water (she doesn't wear make-up) and moisturise (with spf).
I'd like her to get into some really good habits, but I'm a little clueless myself (I'm very low maintenance ha ha).
Thank you 😊
Good ideas. I started wearing SPF daily when I was 18 and do look a lot younger than my peers I think...less sun damage and wrinkles. Not drinking or taking drugs also played a part. HA.
Have a look at Cerave cleanser. It is gentle.

Reactions: 5
Thank you 😊
I think you’ve got her on exactly the right track! As openbook said, spf would be the only thing I would add right now. If she doesn’t have breakouts etc I wouldn’t introduce other products for now. Keeping things simple and not irritating her skin barrier will pay off in the long run!

Reactions: 3
Good ideas. I started wearing SPF daily when I was 18 and do look a lot younger than my peers I think...less sun damage and wrinkles. Not drinking or taking drugs also played a part. HA.
Have a look at Cerave cleanser. It is gentle.
Definitely SPF every single day even in winter!!!

Washing your face every morning and every night would be my main tip. Get in the habit now. Wish I did that at 15!

Does anyone have any advice for spots really deep under the skin? I get them around my period and they are layers deep and so so painful. They don’t usually come to a head either.

Does anyone have any advice for spots really deep under the skin? I get them around my period and they are layers deep and so so painful. They don’t usually come to a head either.
Used to suffer with these so bad! They used to go so big red and shiny and never come to a head!

Try cosrx salicylic acid cleanser and an aha/bha toner. Use an oil free moisturiser too. I use the glossier moisturiser.

Also have a look at Skin & Me. It’s honestly the best thing I’ve ever done. It’s a prescription treatment catered to your skin. £19.99 a month but well worth it. Give it a month or two to really see results😊

I find it doesn’t really matter what I use on my skin (to an extent!!) it all depends on where I am in my cycle. I could use the best products in the shops when my skin is bad and the not so good products when my skin is looking great and it doesn’t really make a difference! My skin isn’t any worse or better it will just change naturally throughout the month and no product can make it any better or worse. does anyone feel the same? X

Acnecide gel! From boots. Put a blob on after moisturising and it’ll either go away or come out. It’s the only thing that’s helped my annoying hormonal under skin spots

Acnecide gel! From boots. Put a blob on after moisturising and it’ll either go away or come out. It’s the only thing that’s helped my annoying hormonal under skin spots
I second this! Acnecide is brilliant and my aesthetics practitioner who is a pharmacist recommended it to me

I had these across my jawline for months after taking progesterone. I was given Dalacin liquid, but they don’t do it anymore. It’s now a gel, not as good but still works. These types of spots should never be picked as they leave really deep pot marks. They do go eventually, but bloody annoying.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.