Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve asked on another thread but will also ask here…
Anyone had profhilo and what are your personal views of the affects of the treatment ?
Is it worth the cost, it’s £200 per treatment near me, and need 2 treatments 4 weeks apart. Lasts 9-12 months. Billed as facelift in a bottle (syringe)
Thanks for any replies
I had it on Wednesday for the first time! Paid £290 for two treatments with a nurse. 5 injections either side of your face and I have another treatment in just over 3 weeks time.

She said I’ll notice results in about 3 weeks but the best results are about 3/4 weeks after the second treatment. Skin already looking a little glowy after a few days so can’t wait to see the full results

Pain wise wasn’t too bad. Little bit stingy but totally bearable.

I’m going to have one treatment every 6 months after the second to maintain the results.

Reactions: 1
I’ve asked on another thread but will also ask here…
Anyone had profhilo and what are your personal views of the affects of the treatment ?
Is it worth the cost, it’s £200 per treatment near me, and need 2 treatments 4 weeks apart. Lasts 9-12 months. Billed as facelift in a bottle (syringe)
Thanks for any replies
I've had it. First treatment was about 5 weeks ago and then a follow up 2 or 3 weeks after. I noticed nothing after the first treatment then a lift from the second. My concern was slight jowls at the side of my mouth and it has improved those. As the previous poster says, it's 5 injections on each side of the face. One of them did hurt but it's momentary. Interestingly though, not one person has commented that I look brighter or good at all so maybe the effects are too small to be worth it. I was impressed but, now having thought about it more, I'm not sure if I would do it again.

Reactions: 3
I’m not sure I would ever recommend someone jumped into tretinoin if they were new to a skincare regime. I’ve occasionally overdone it with regular retinol which is much weaker, it’s so easily done!

Reactions: 6
Has anyone had a red light treatment to stimulate collagen that’s actually worked? Either at home or with an aesthetician? I was recommended the “hollywood facelift” which is 5-6 intensive light treatments to help lift my slightly drooping eyebrow. It’s nothing that noticeable but keen to see what could help - just wasn’t that keen to pay £750 for a laser light treatment.

I’m not sure I would ever recommend someone jumped into tretinoin if they were new to a skincare regime. I’ve occasionally overdone it with regular retinol which is much weaker, it’s so easily done!
It depends on your skin type and the strength of the tret. Dermatica and Skin & Me carry out an assessment and you’ll start on a lower strength which will increase each month as you build a tolerance. You can also use every other day.

It’s 100% the best thing I’ve ever used on my skin. Been using Skin & Me for a year. I’m clear of all spots and have been for months save for the odd one around time of the month which disappears in a couple of days and is usually tiny. I used to get so many spots on my chin and jaw and they would be the painful red ones that never come to a head. At 34 it was starting to piss me off that I had the skin of a 14 year old!

What skin type do you have and what are your main concerns?

Prescription tretinoin is your best bet to combat wrinkles if you don’t want to use botox, profhilo or under eye fillers. Tret can be quite strong depending on your skin type. I’m super oily so it doesn’t dry me out and I can use every night. I use Skin & Me but you can also try Dermatica.

In terms of a routine you need a lot of trial and error to find what works for you.

My oily skin routine -

Mornings - cleanser, aha/bha toner, vitamin c serum, moisturiser then SPF. SPF every single day even in winter. Sun damage ages you!

Nights - cleanser, aha/bha toner, serum, tret, wait 10 mins then moisturiser.

Cleanse twice if you have make up on in the night. Once to remove make up, once to cleanse. Never ever sleep with make up on. Even if I’m pissed, I always wash my face before bed 😂

Always use light serums before heavier creams. Don’t go overboard using multiple serums and creams. Keep it simple until you find what works for you 😊
I’m 40 and I’ve only just started noticing fine lines around the eyes and crepey eyelids. until a couple of months ago all I’d ever done was cleanse and use moisturizer, and that was only in the morning. No cleansing or moisturizer at night ever. Cheap as possible. In fact in recent years I bought moisturizer from Pound Land and used that.

I very rarely have spots, I have ‘normal’ skin (ie not oily or dry), I just want the wrinkles not to deepen and/or multiply!

I like the Ordinary and Strivectin serums I bought because they have lots of different ingredients in them, negating the need for loads of separate bottles/more steps. The Strivectin feels particularly nice on the skin.

And I need to start getting used to cleansing in the pm.

Does Anybody have any advice on nose blackheads? I’m not particularly spotty, but I get so many blackheads on my nose that turn into under the skin painful spots. Like sometimes my nose can be covered in blackheads, esp during the summer and it has been a problem for years.

Then when I try to use a blackhead remover to get rid of them, it makes my nose all red and peely and basically a big mess!

Right now I use a charcoal cleanser, tone and moisturise, and use a face scrub once a week.

Any tips on products or ways to reduce this?

Thanks!

Does Anybody have any advice on nose blackheads? I’m not particularly spotty, but I get so many blackheads on my nose that turn into under the skin painful spots. Like sometimes my nose can be covered in blackheads, esp during the summer and it has been a problem for years.

Then when I try to use a blackhead remover to get rid of them, it makes my nose all red and peely and basically a big mess!

Right now I use a charcoal cleanser, tone and moisturise, and use a face scrub once a week.

Any tips on products or ways to reduce this?

Thanks!
A Salicylic acid should help! The Ordinary and Revolution Skincare both make really affordable SA treatments in mask form now (as well as serum formulations). Inkey List makes a SA cleanser you might like to try too! (all are on ASOS and under 12 pounds I think). Would also reccomend using SPF daily if you add any AHA/BHA active into as they can increase sun sensitivity.

With the Mask/serums I would normally just use it in the affected areas (sometimes I do a SA mask on my nose and chin where I get hormonal breakouts, and a moisturising one on my cheeks and forehead). I also don't do a physical exfoliation (face scrub) the same day as a chemical exfoliation (AHA/BHA etc) as my skin gets a bit sensitive!

Looking for some advice… I have the following products but not sure if it’s safe to use them all at once and also not sure what order to use them in? Was wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to what I should use for morning and night? :)
Cerave salicylic acid cleanser.
Lacura (aldi own brand) glycolic cleanser
The inkey list tranexamic acid night treatment
The ordinary caffeine solution
Superdrug own niacinamide solution
The ordinary vitamin C suspension 30% in silicone.

TIA

Looking for some advice… I have the following products but not sure if it’s safe to use them all at once and also not sure what order to use them in? Was wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to what I should use for morning and night? :)

TIA
The SA cleanser and glycolic acid cleanser might be harsh for everyday use so maybe use it 2-3 times a week and on a night (acids make your skin sensitive to sun). SA is good for oily/combo skin and glycolic removes dead skin cells to make skin glowy so depends what you need to get out of your skin!

The caffeine solution is good for under your eyes - I use it and then pop an eye cream on top as I have dry skin around my eyes.

Niacinamide is good for combo skin and can be used day/night. The vit c works best during the day paired with an SPF. Put that on first then moisturiser/spf. Double cleanse on an evening if you wear spf/makeup - look into a cream/oil cleanser as it will help remove it better.

The tranexamic acid is meant to replace a night cream - it helped clear up my ‘moustache’ mark from sun damage.

Sorry for the essay! I would suggest adding an SPF for day time use (if you don’t already) and an eye cream. Cerave do a good one. Hope it helps x

• Heart

TIA
Please don’t use glycolic acid every day along with salicylic… recipe for disaster. Keep it for when you think your skin needs an extra boost of exfoliation. If you do use the glycolic please make sure your using SPF, continued use can thin the skin and it will make your skin more sensitive to sun damage

Reactions: 4

TIA
I don’t think you’re supposed to use niacinamide and vitamin C at the same time, think they cancel each other out so use one in the morning and the other at night or alternate days with them.

Reactions: 2
Thank you for your responses. I actually meant to say the glycolic was a toner not a cleanser.
Really appreciate the help!

I hope it's ok to ask for some advice here?

Basically my skin is an absolute mess. I suffer with really oily, spotty skin, although more blackheads with the occasional whitehead. When I do get whiteheads they are huge angry red lumps for ages before eventually turning white and pus-filled (sorry). I've tried so many of the scrubs/exfoliation, face masks but nothing seems to work.
I don't know if it's worth mentioning I also suffer with spots on my back and top of my arms.

I'm in my early 30s and the time has come where I've decided I won't grow out of it and need to take action 🤣

I will be so grateful for any advice.

Basically my skin is an absolute mess. I suffer with really oily, spotty skin, although more blackheads with the occasional whitehead. When I do get whiteheads they are huge angry red lumps for ages before eventually turning white and pus-filled (sorry). I've tried so many of the scrubs/exfoliation, face masks but nothing seems to work.
I don't know if it's worth mentioning I also suffer with spots on my back and top of my arms.

I'm in my early 30s and the time has come where I've decided I won't grow out of it and need to take action 🤣

I’d highly recommend Skin & Me or Dermatica. They are prescription tretinoins with other active ingredients catered to your skin type and specific concerns.

I suffered terribly with spots on my chin, jaw and neck. The ones where there never come to a head. I was 33 with the skin of a teenager! Been using Skin & Me for almost a year now and I have finally found a routine that works for me. I’m also very oily!

Personally I’d avoid scrubs as this always irritated my skin. Try an acid based exfoliator rather than a harsh scrub such as an AHA/BHA toner such as Cosrx liquid BHA or Ole Henriksen balancing oil toner. I use cera ve foaming cleanser along with cosrx salicylic acid cleanser. The cera ve is gentle for everyday use and I use the cosrx cleanser 2-3 times a week.

As with anything, consistency is key and make sure to wash your face every morning and every night (twice in the night if you have make up on).

Remember you can also purge so stick at it as it may get worse before getting better.

F8ADB77F-1CA8-4B25-A5EA-9C3E5D4575D7.jpeg
DAEBF8B6-40E3-4716-A8AE-D52275DC603C.jpeg

I’m 40 and I’ve only just started noticing fine lines around the eyes and crepey eyelids. until a couple of months ago all I’d ever done was cleanse and use moisturizer, and that was only in the morning. No cleansing or moisturizer at night ever. Cheap as possible. In fact in recent years I bought moisturizer from Pound Land and used that.

I very rarely have spots, I have ‘normal’ skin (ie not oily or dry), I just want the wrinkles not to deepen and/or multiply!

I like the Ordinary and Strivectin serums I bought because they have lots of different ingredients in them, negating the need for loads of separate bottles/more steps. The Strivectin feels particularly nice on the skin.

And I need to start getting used to cleansing in the pm.
Have you considered a retinol eye cream/serum? Murad and Medik8 are worth looking at.

Ultimately you’ll never beat cosmetic treatments such as Botox, profhilo or surgical/non surgical blepharoplasty. I’d have eyelid surgery myself if I could justify the cost!! 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart

Personally if it was me I’d go for a consultation with someone local to you that has medical grade skin care like environ, image or alumier. Those three brands are great and get brilliant results. It’s hard to say what would suit as your skin type without a proper consultation and I wouldn’t want to recommend stuff and then it be a waste of money for you 😔

What I would say in the meantime tho is get a good probiotic, do not use any scrubs or acids, get good quality sleep and hook the h20 to your veins 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Personally if it was me I’d go for a consultation with someone local to you that has medical grade skin care like environ, image or alumier. Those three brands are great and get brilliant results. It’s hard to say what would suit as your skin type without a proper consultation and I wouldn’t want to recommend stuff and then it be a waste of money for you 😔

What I would say in the meantime tho is get a good probiotic, do not use any scrubs or acids, get good quality sleep and hook the h20 to your veins 😂
Medical grade skincare is a marketing term. I spent £270 on Zo “medical grade” skincare which made no difference to my skin. Absolute waste of money.

Medical grade skincare is a marketing term. I spent £270 on Zo “medical grade” skincare which made no difference to my skin. Absolute waste of money.
Different strokes for different folks as they say. They are considered “medical grade” as they have higher levels of active ingredients and they have to be “prescribed” for your skin.

I have never heard of Zo. These kind of products are only as good as the person prescribing them. I’ve had amazing results with image skincare, environ and alumier over the years. I’m a skincare junkie! They aren’t much more expensive than the over the counter brands like kiehls etc but give way better results. I’m 32 and everyone thinks I’m still early 20s. People also think ive had Botox when I haven’t. It works for me 🙌🏻

Different strokes for different folks as they say. They are considered “medical grade” as they have higher levels of active ingredients and they have to be “prescribed” for your skin.

I have never heard of Zo. These kind of products are only as good as the person prescribing them. I’ve had amazing results with image skincare, environ and alumier over the years. I’m a skincare junkie! They aren’t much more expensive than the over the counter brands like kiehls etc but give way better results. I’m 32 and everyone thinks I’m still early 20s. People also think ive had Botox when I haven’t. It works for me 🙌🏻
Zo is Dr. Obagi’s range. He also does the Obagi chemical peel too. Tretinoin is prescription but nothing else in that skin care range would be. They market the products as if they are better formulated than cleansers you can buy freely online but this isn’t the case.

Everyone is different as you say and I’ve tried cheap, mid range and expensive and I can’t say I found the expensive products life changing in any way. Tret on the other hand is the best thing I’ve ever used!

If it’s treatment for acne, and you don’t want to go down the route of seeing your GP and a lengthy referral for a dermatologist appointment (if you’re in the UK), I’d also recommend Dermatica or Skin + Me. They are online dermatology services who provide prescription treatments for skin conditions after a consultation.

I’ve been using Dermatica for 8 months (although not for acne in my case) and they’re fantastic.

I believe both companies work in pretty much the same way. Good luck 😊 Let us know what you decide to do.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.