Simon Harris #5 Mr Harris, who was a popular figure on the internet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had a great laugh today, it’s a standing joke in our family that my sister was once pursued by Mark Francois, the oily MP covering Rayleigh in Essex…it was over 40 years ago so naturally before he was married etc. My sister had better taste and refused all his advances.

Today I discover that a younger female family member experienced similar pursuing….from none other than Simon Harris (I hasten to add before he was married). She also had better taste and refused his advances. Now to invite her round for a cuppa 😂

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Had a great laugh today, it’s a standing joke in our family that my sister was once pursued by Mark Francois, the oily MP covering Rayleigh in Essex…it was over 40 years ago so naturally before he was married etc. My sister had better taste and refused all his advances.

Today I discover that a younger female family member experienced similar pursuing….from none other than Simon Harris (I hasten to add before he was married). She also had better taste and refused his advances. Now to invite her round for a cuppa 😂
Omg that is excellent tea.
Yes definitely question her! Leave out no detail no matter how apparently trivial 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11

I am NOT going to wade into gender politics other than to say two things:

1. There's something unedifying about the oafish and nuance-free zone that is the hive-mind of Harris and O'Callaghan having anything to say to you if you a "person with a cervix" on matters relating to aforementioned cervixes.

2. Clear from this "client", maybe the funding came from the Suffolk GP Federation, maybe somewhere else? that O'Callaghan already had designs on Suffolk to where it is speculated she is going to be off next.

But stop, I am just being a cynical old fool. I am sure that this expertly animated and polished video, delivered through the extensive network of social media channels (par excellence), established and supported by O'Callaghan's crack team of social media strategists, delivered real and lasting public health outcomes and provided excellent value for money.

On that topic Kirsty, when are you going to update you Linkedin profile?
---
It's so good, in fact, I have downloaded it for prosperity. Just in case, you know....

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
My takeaway from all of this (as an ex-corporate comms lead of 20 years’ experience) is that their entire strategy was just… spamming every local Facebook group with the same message? That’s it?

Where is the “strategy”? There is no evidence of targeting via mapping to needs, barriers and challenges, demographics, channel preferences, messaging etc. Why has it all taken place on Facebook? Why not utilise all channels at your disposal - corporate website, Insta, Next Door, YouTube, Twitter etc. - with their slightly different audiences to deliver tailored content as part of a co-ordinated campaign, alongside low-cost paid-for content to boost uptake in harder to reach communities?

How have the objectives been met? I think I’ve pointed this out before, but their so-called results have all been about reach (not even engagement). These are “vanity stats”, and are only useful to the comms team themselves (as in, constantly adjusting where, when and how content is sent from channels where engagement and reach is declining to those where it is more effective). Reach and awareness in themselves are not an objective. They are outputs. Any comms campaign has outcomes - such as increase in uptake of a service, numbers of infections declining - as their objective. The numbers of actual people affected, not people seeing a graphic in Facebook.

Why couldn’t the council/NHS comms team deliver this? Any comms officer worth their salt can update a template graphic and spam it to all the local Facebook groups. Except that they wouldn’t, unless it was part of a wider campaign. It is also likely that the comms team will have access to paid-for comms tools such as Orlo, Vuelio and Mailchimp which help automate the process and make it nimbler and more effective.

Finally, value for money, to put this in perspective. I ran a campaign simultaneously across four counties of England for a public sector organisation for a very tough objective. It was wildly successful. That’s because I used all of the tools at my disposal - paid-for social media content, organic social media, some outdoor advertising, media, corporate websites, email marketing, community engagement (this was pre-Covid so there were some physical events, but later it was easy to switch them to Zoom - cheaper too). I also worked with the appropriate teams to look at a programme to overcome the barriers for the harder to reach communities. The four counties were very similar to Essex and Suffolk (mainly rural, some very wealthy areas but also small towns and cities with huge deprivation issues). The total budget for the four counties: £35k.

It also seems to me that Jon Morter’s gripe seems to be that he didn’t get his hands on all that lovely money, in exchange for his radical idea of spamming local Facebook groups with the same message. Get in the bin, Jon.
---
What’s particularly galling in all of this, as any corporate comms professional will tell you, is the parsimonious attitude of bosses when it comes to delivering campaigns in the public sector. You put forward a costed proposal and they will cut your budget to the bone, leaving you to fight and account for every last penny, and expected to deliver amazing campaigns with outstanding results on next to nothing (or usually, literally nothing - my budget above was surprisingly generous in the public sector). Yet it seems they have hundreds of thousands of pounds to chuck at their mates with no accountability at all. Directors place so very little value on comms, yet when the tit hits the fan (as here), who are the poor buggers answering the phones to the media, drafting statements and press releases, and briefing spokespeople, to clear up all of the mess they have made?

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
He probably took about 70 grand for that crap cervical screening video above. Why is the audio on these things so bad? The voice sounds absolutely terrible. It's like she's speaking from deep inside a tunnel.

Henry Anderson has still fallen out of love with Together for Suffolk I see. So odd to go from sharing their work EVERYWHERE daily to....just not bothering.

Hi Simon/Henry/Whatever the next sock is called!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
If he hadn't had to into hiding he'd have been tweeting hundreds of times in anger about Gregg Wallace, who to be fair is an hole, for the comments about his autistic son. Oh the jokes we have missed out on. There'd have been an autism themed gofundme and everything. Speaking of which, I notice his gofundme for buying tents for the homeless is sitting at 16 grand out of a 25 grand target. But the last donation was over 2 months ago so it's never going to go much higher. What is actually going to happen to all this money? Does it just sit in limbo indefinitely?

Reactions: 10
If he hadn't had to into hiding he'd have been tweeting hundreds of times in anger about Gregg Wallace, who to be fair is an hole, for the comments about his autistic son. Oh the jokes we have missed out on. There'd have been an autism themed gofundme and everything. Speaking of which, I notice his gofundme for buying tents for the homeless is sitting at 16 grand out of a 25 grand target. But the last donation was over 2 months ago so it's never going to go much higher. What is actually going to happen to all this money? Does it just sit in limbo indefinitely?
He can donate to local community voluntary services and Streetlink, they give out tents etc to the homeless.

Reactions: 3
Speaking of which, I notice his gofundme for buying tents for the homeless is sitting at 16 grand out of a 25 grand target. But the last donation was over 2 months ago so it's never going to go much higher. What is actually going to happen to all this money? Does it just sit in limbo indefinitely?
Yes this is what I want to know too. Like his school roofs one. All these gofundmes with money just sitting there. Was he hoping enough time would elapse so they can just be quietly forgotten?

Reactions: 6
I bet he’s walking around telling every person he sees his “Luke, do an autism for the lady” zinger. He must be absolutely beside himself that he can’t tweet it for the billionth time

Reactions: 3
My takeaway from all of this (as an ex-corporate comms lead of 20 years’ experience) is that their entire strategy was just… spamming every local Facebook group with the same message? That’s it?

Where is the “strategy”? There is no evidence of targeting via mapping to needs, barriers and challenges, demographics, channel preferences, messaging etc. Why has it all taken place on Facebook? Why not utilise all channels at your disposal - corporate website, Insta, Next Door, YouTube, Twitter etc. - with their slightly different audiences to deliver tailored content as part of a co-ordinated campaign, alongside low-cost paid-for content to boost uptake in harder to reach communities?

How have the objectives been met? I think I’ve pointed this out before, but their so-called results have all been about reach (not even engagement). These are “vanity stats”, and are only useful to the comms team themselves (as in, constantly adjusting where, when and how content is sent from channels where engagement and reach is declining to those where it is more effective). Reach and awareness in themselves are not an objective. They are outputs. Any comms campaign has outcomes - such as increase in uptake of a service, numbers of infections declining - as their objective. The numbers of actual people affected, not people seeing a graphic in Facebook.

Why couldn’t the council/NHS comms team deliver this? Any comms officer worth their salt can update a template graphic and spam it to all the local Facebook groups. Except that they wouldn’t, unless it was part of a wider campaign. It is also likely that the comms team will have access to paid-for comms tools such as Orlo, Vuelio and Mailchimp which help automate the process and make it nimbler and more effective.

Finally, value for money, to put this in perspective. I ran a campaign simultaneously across four counties of England for a public sector organisation for a very tough objective. It was wildly successful. That’s because I used all of the tools at my disposal - paid-for social media content, organic social media, some outdoor advertising, media, corporate websites, email marketing, community engagement (this was pre-Covid so there were some physical events, but later it was easy to switch them to Zoom - cheaper too). I also worked with the appropriate teams to look at a programme to overcome the barriers for the harder to reach communities. The four counties were very similar to Essex and Suffolk (mainly rural, some very wealthy areas but also small towns and cities with huge deprivation issues). The total budget for the four counties: £35k.

It also seems to me that Jon Morter’s gripe seems to be that he didn’t get his hands on all that lovely money, in exchange for his radical idea of spamming local Facebook groups with the same message. Get in the bin, Jon.
---
What’s particularly galling in all of this, as any corporate comms professional will tell you, is the parsimonious attitude of bosses when it comes to delivering campaigns in the public sector. You put forward a costed proposal and they will cut your budget to the bone, leaving you to fight and account for every last penny, and expected to deliver amazing campaigns with outstanding results on next to nothing (or usually, literally nothing - my budget above was surprisingly generous in the public sector). Yet it seems they have hundreds of thousands of pounds to chuck at their mates with no accountability at all. Directors place so very little value on comms, yet when the tit hits the fan (as here), who are the poor buggers answering the phones to the media, drafting statements and press releases, and briefing spokespeople, to clear up all of the mess they have made?
Honestly there’s an epidemic of it in the Public Sector. Their own staff are buying their own pads and pens and loo roll, doing the work of 3 people and delivering services on fresh air. However the top brass are constantly bringing in “consultants” who are paid £1000s to do a tit piece of work a child could have come up with. They they “move on” to another area/trust it’s a big merry-go-round

• Angry
Reactions: 17
Together for Suffolk's engagement levels seem absolutely in the toilet since what I assume was Henry's tragic death. It looks so pathetic with every article having no shares and either one or zero likes. Money well spent there!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.