Shops or places you feel nostalgic for

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oasis in Birmingham. Would spend the whole day there, clothes shopping, getting a piercing and eating at the cafe and drinking Schnapple
I remember Oasis - it always smelled of joss sticks and at 16 I thought it very exotic. I bought the most gorgeous red silky dress at one of the boutiques in there. It was the first shop I always went to as it was near the bus stop where my bus stopped (the navy blue and cream bus) when going shopping on a Saturday.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I remember Oasis - it always smelled of joss sticks and at 16 I thought it very exotic. I bought the most gorgeous red silky dress at one of the boutiques in there. It was the first shop I always went to as it was near the bus stop where my bus stopped (the navy blue and cream bus) when going shopping on a Saturday.
Yes I remeber that smell. Used to buy combat trousers and tiny tops, bought a gorgeous suede jacket and thought I was the bees knees.

I worked there for a while. My boyfriend at the time had a couple of stalls in the early 80s, selling Vivienne Westwood and stuff. There was a cafe (as you’ve mentioned), loads of jeans shops, stalls where you could buy perfumed oils (I really liked patchouli oil and haven’t smelt one exactly the same since), a record shop, and a Space Invaders machine. This was all downstairs and it was like a little maze. The place pops up in my dreams sometimes.
Yes you could get lost in it for ages. I remember the record shop. Used to buy different coloured hair dyes too

WMPTE (pronounced wumpty) buses! That was the West Midland Passenger Transport Executive, and then there was the Midland Red. I haven‘t lived there for 20 years but the same buses don’t exist, think it’s all Arriva now.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Woolworths, miss them big time!

There was one shop that closed down many years ago which I really miss, Beano's was based in Croydon and was the biggest second hand record/CD shop in the country.

Yes I remeber that smell. Used to buy combat trousers and tiny tops, bought a gorgeous suede jacket and thought I was the bees knees.

Yes you could get lost in it for ages. I remember the record shop. Used to buy different coloured hair dyes too
Oh yes, you could buy Krazy Kolor! Aubergine was my favourite.

Reactions: 1
WMPTE (pronounced wumpty) buses! That was the West Midland Passenger Transport Executive, and then there was the Midland Red. I haven‘t lived there for 20 years but the same buses don’t exist, think it’s all Arriva now.
Wow, I remember Midland Red buses too! I lived on the outskirts of Birmingham and there were two circular buses that served where I lived - the 161 and 171.

I also miss Wimpy Burger Restaurants - you used to get a real plate, knife and fork to eat it with and their burger sauce was amazing!

Does anyone remember Adams kids? I noticed in my wardrobe today I have a tiny Adams coat hanger in there, age 2-3! It would've been from when I was a kid in the 80s/90s!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Someone mentioned nicking sweets so I'll share my experience. There was a traditional sweet shop on the walk to school (fifty years ago) and I pinched a toffee, one single chocolate covered Bluebird toffee and all day at school I felt riddled with guilt to the point that on the way home I spent my last 6 (old) pence on a bar of chocolate and slipped the toffee back in the tub and the the sense of relief I experienced was overwhelming. Of course, twenty years in the army changed my view on 'liberating' things lol.

• Haha
You cant bet Woolworths pick a mix. They used to have the fun sized chocolates like mars, snickers etc

Reactions: 2
Does anyone remember Adams kids? I noticed in my wardrobe today I have a tiny Adams coat hanger in there, age 2-3! It would've been from when I was a kid in the 80s/90s!
Oh my god I just had a massive flashback of being in there as a kid when my mum was buying me clothes and they had an light that was projected in the shape of an apple that moved across the floor - and I’d always try and chase it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I remember going with my mother as a young child into the Off licence, a branch of odd bins to be exact. It was cool and dark inside, and smell vaguely of wine. I don't know what my mother was doing in there, she's never been a big drinker. But I also remember it used to be the ONLY place you could buy kettle chips, they were in a big basket next to the fancy wine. Isn't that mad? Now there are so few off licences left, and none around here.

I also miss Blockbuster video. I remember walking around the block to my local one as a teenager to rent DVDs or games. I also remember as a child going there to pick out videos. The desperate excitement when you went to the counter to check whether the film you had selected was in stock! I also recall sneaking around to the 18+ shelves and being freaked out by the front cover of Hellraiser. It also used to be the only place you could buy toffee popcorn and malteasers in a box. Did Blockbuster have some sort of deal going on with butterkist?

Now of course you can buy all the booze, kettle chips and toffee popcorn that you want from the supermarket, but I don't know, it's less special?
Blockbuster that’s a good one. Even in 2012/2013 when we’d had our first baby that was our treat go to blockbuster get a film and some wine, oh the simple days of one child who would be asleep by 7.... fast forward 8 years just had baby number 3 and the other two in lockdown fever don’t sleep until 9.30 😭

I was really poor growing up but when my mum got married again we had a bit more money- I remember so clearly going to Shelley’s in the city my stepdad is from and getting a pair of school shoes, the clumpy heeled loafery type ones with the silver Shelley’s tag across the front. It made my life (for a while at least!).