Shops or places you feel nostalgic for

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone remember the name of this shoe shop, they were UK wide and similar to Ravel. The name begins with B and I can’t for the life of me remember the rest of the name!
I know what you mean but can't for the life of me remember the name

I remember going with my mother as a young child into the Off licence, a branch of odd bins to be exact. It was cool and dark inside, and smell vaguely of wine. I don't know what my mother was doing in there, she's never been a big drinker. But I also remember it used to be the ONLY place you could buy kettle chips, they were in a big basket next to the fancy wine. Isn't that mad? Now there are so few off licences left, and none around here.

I also miss Blockbuster video. I remember walking around the block to my local one as a teenager to rent DVDs or games. I also remember as a child going there to pick out videos. The desperate excitement when you went to the counter to check whether the film you had selected was in stock! I also recall sneaking around to the 18+ shelves and being freaked out by the front cover of Hellraiser. It also used to be the only place you could buy toffee popcorn and malteasers in a box. Did Blockbuster have some sort of deal going on with butterkist?

Now of course you can buy all the booze, kettle chips and toffee popcorn that you want from the supermarket, but I don't know, it's less special?
My parents used to go to the Off Licence every Friday night (obvious why 😂) and we were allowed to pick a chocolate as a treat. So your memory is similar to my own.

C&A, I’m showing my age here 😂
Got my first bra in C&A 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Tammy girl, Mark 1 and Claire’s accessories buying magnetic earrings before I was allowed my ears pierced 😂 And also I used to love going in toymaster and spending ages looking at all the toys!

Reactions: 3
Woolworths. Ours used the have a soft play you could dump your kids in while you shopped.

They still have Tammy and Etam in Europe, so funny seeing it open! I was obsessed. Got my first thong in there (black with horny devil written on it). How grim is that - I must have been 13!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
La Senza - I bought my first ‘grown up’ bra there with Christmas money I must of been about 14 it was a push up, purple with the cartoon ‘Little Miss Naughty’ embroidered on, in the first size I picked up as had no clue on sizes and too shy to ask, all bought without my Mums knowledge and kept it hidden Incase she found it 🤣

Gadget Shop- Inflatable backpack... of course

Warner Bros Shops- I remember it had a car/ride in middle of the store

Jane Norman- used to go in with friends, nominate someone to ask the girls on the till if we could have a bag... oh the shame 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Woolworths and blockbuster are the main ones, i’m sure there’s more but can’t think lol.

Reactions: 1
La Senza - I bought my first ‘grown up’ bra there with Christmas money I must of been about 14 it was a push up, purple with the cartoon ‘Little Miss Naughty’ embroidered on, in the first size I picked up as had no clue on sizes and too shy to ask, all bought without my Mums knowledge and kept it hidden Incase she found it 🤣

Gadget Shop- Inflatable backpack... of course

Warner Bros Shops- I remember it had a car/ride in middle of the store

Jane Norman- used to go in with friends, nominate someone to ask the girls on the till if we could have a bag... oh the shame 🤣
I felt so grown up in la senza!

Reactions: 4
Woolworths. I used to love going to our local to spend my pocket money on toys and books with my nan and grandad. They had the best sales on Boxing Day.

Also C&A and Tammy Girl when I was a teenager :D

Block buster, Game Station, Woolworths, Bay, TJ Hughes, Priceless Shoes, Virgin Megastore.
There's still a TJ Hughes here! I go sometimes for chips and gravy in their little cafe when I'm out shopping (I hate McDonalds and similar and love gravy so, erm :LOL: ), they have some good stuff tbh, it's so cute that the majority of people in there are very elderly buying cardigans and the like haha

Quiggins (an indoor market) in Liverpool.
Quiggins too, my mum used to take me there, maybe you know it's still here but it's moved (it's not quite the same now but still...!)

Lewis's in Liverpool was a great place. It's so sad it closed down. I also remember Owen Owen and George Henry Lee's (I believe the latter is now part of John Lewis?) Rapid Hardware has recently closed which is terrible, Liverpool has lost a lot of historical well known companies now that I think of it.

Last edited:
I also miss Blockbuster video. I remember walking around the block to my local one as a teenager to rent DVDs or games. I also remember as a child going there to pick out videos. The desperate excitement when you went to the counter to check whether the film you had selected was in stock! I also recall sneaking around to the 18+ shelves and being freaked out by the front cover of Hellraiser. It also used to be the only place you could buy toffee popcorn and malteasers in a box. Did Blockbuster have some sort of deal going on with butterkist?

Now of course you can buy all the booze, kettle chips and toffee popcorn that you want from the supermarket, but I don't know, it's less special?
Oh, Friday night at Blockbuster was an event! 🤩 I'm sure there were times where my sister and I spent more time perusing the shelves and debating our movie and snack choice than we did actually watching the movie once we got home. 😂

We had a TJ Hughes here. I bought an army print wheely suitcase from there in about 2005 and I’ve still got it.

Body shop in the 80s and early 90s was the absolute beans. I so wish they still sold the same products in those little minimalistic bottles with the green labels. We spent hours in there sniffing everything. If I could go there now I’d buy little bottles of Dewberry, Raspberry ripple bubble bath, white must shower gel and a kiwi lip balm. Ooh or black cherry. Their stock now is rubbish in comparison.

Tammy Girl in the late 80s and early 90s was also amazing, also Snob. Athena for posters and Purple Ronnie mugs. Woolies for pick and mix.

C&A
Woolworths
Tammy girl
Top to toe
The local post office, my nana would fetch me Saturday mornings when my mum went work (my dad would joke she didn’t trust him to look after me) think my dad liked the peace & quiet 🤫

Oasis in Birmingham. Would spend the whole day there, clothes shopping, getting a piercing and eating at the cafe and drinking Schnapple
I worked there for a while. My boyfriend at the time had a couple of stalls in the early 80s, selling Vivienne Westwood and stuff. There was a cafe (as you’ve mentioned), loads of jeans shops, stalls where you could buy perfumed oils (I really liked patchouli oil and haven’t smelt one exactly the same since), a record shop, and a Space Invaders machine. This was all downstairs and it was like a little maze. The place pops up in my dreams sometimes.