Shops or places you feel nostalgic for

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember etam and Tammy girl.. One memory that sticks in my mind, I must have been around 11-12 yrs old back in early 2000s and purchasing a pink velour tracksuit with my birthday money.. worrying that I spent too much on clothes, it must have cost me like £20-25 😂😂
At about 12 I had a neon orange satin blouse, an orange mini skirt and orange and white platforms from Tammy Girl as one outfit, thought I was the tit hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 4
At about 12 I had a neon orange satin blouse, an orange mini skirt and orange and white platforms from Tammy Girl as one outfit, thought I was the tit hahahaha
Awww I always loved the satin blouses of the 90s! I’m sure back in the day you looked cool AF! 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I’ve loved reading through these posts! No new shops to add but in full agreement with Tammy, C&A, Woolworths and Blockbusters.

When I was at secondary school, after the first year of wearing the “sensible” M&S trousers, I remember begging by mum to buy me the crappy trousers from the market that flared at the bottom when they got wet. She refused, I had to buy them myself with my pocket money. They cost £11 so I used to save. We used to stand in puddles and let them soak up the rain 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
That was such a cool shop. I always used to make sure I was wearing my tammy pants for p.e 😂

And them t shirts with different coloured sleeves to the body. Ours used to be above an adult clothes shop, but cant remeber what it was called.

And block buster used to go there every friday for a video with my mum and dad. They never let me have fizzy pop from the fridge 😂

Once we got a fine because we didnt post the video back in time. My mum went ape tit and we didnt go back for a while 🙄

Jane norman for the school bag and the carrier bag for your p.e kit 😂 sometimes I used to take a JD sports one, just to spice things up.
Tammy Girl was part of Etams, if you had an Etams in your town then usually you had a Tammy Girl! I remember Chelsea Girl, I thought I was so cool when I was big enough to buy something from there. CG became River Island.

Reactions: 2
Jane Norman (coolest pe bags ever, their clothing was market quality though), River Island's funky coloured carrier bags (believe they're just white now), woolworths, toys r us, tammy girl!

Gloria Jeans (the coffee shop)

I didn’t realIse there were so few TJ Hughes in the UK! I have one where I live but very rarely go in!
Yeah my local one was where Woolies used to be, it's now a Poundland!

Jane Norman (coolest pe bags ever, their clothing was market quality though), River Island's funky coloured carrier bags (believe they're just white now), woolworths, toys r us, tammy girl!

Gloria Jeans (the coffee shop)

Yeah my local one was where Woolies used to be, it's now a Poundland!
Same

Aw and me!!!!

This place was ace!!

Benetton! If you had a top from there you’d made it 😂
Omg yes (I never made it 😂😂😂)

Definitely agree, you would have looked awesome @SpookyLumberjack I had a teal satin blouse from there, paired with my pink flower embroidered flared jeans and black chunky boots from barrets :ROFLMAO:
Ohh that's an amazing outfit haha

When I was at secondary school, after the first year of wearing the “sensible” M&S trousers, I remember begging by mum to buy me the crappy trousers from the market that flared at the bottom when they got wet. She refused, I had to buy them myself with my pocket money. They cost £11 so I used to save. We used to stand in puddles and let them soak up the rain 😂
Same. Huge denim flares that covered my shoes 100%. A bus driver asked me if the 70s were back once and I was mortified.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
In South Africa we still have Wimpy everywhere. Do you not have it anymore? Also for those not in the know Nando's is a South African franchise.

There was a show shop called cable and co and I loved it. That was as an older teen. It felt like it was really classy. A couple of years later my wedding shoes came from there. I was 22 when I got married.

My local McDonald’s used to have a basement with a big (well it felt big to me at the time) soft play. I always remember the tunnels were amazing! Went to a party there once and was upset that I didn’t get a toy with my happy meal lol. Later it turned into a disco and now I’m not sure what’s down there.

Wacky Warehouses used to be everywhere at one point and they were the tit! Always used to hope When going for a meal that we were going to somewhere with a ‘Wacky’ attached. Think most of them are gone now sadly. I had my 8th birthday party at a wacky warehouse. Good times.

We went to Choices Video rather than blockbuster! I remember spending ages trying to pick out a game for my Sega Megadrive and Playstation1.

Woolies! Used to go here for sweets before going into the cinema. My mates and I used to be proper cheeky with the pick and mix at Woolies. We’d stick a chocolate bar in The bottom of the tub and then pile loads of pick n mix on top. Never got caught😂

Does anyone remember Adams kids? I noticed in my wardrobe today I have a tiny Adams coat hanger in there, age 2-3! It would've been from when I was a kid in the 80s/90s!
Adams was great! I used to love going in there as a kid and chasing the apple projection on the floor🤣

Last edited:
LOVED Tammy Girl, had loads of these sassy af tops with the flared sleeves.

062cbb6aaca3e3190dcaca80c76f026f.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Safeway - I still have their green storage baskets/boxes to store old books and DVDs.
Woolworths - My first ever CD was brought from there. Every month, my parents would take my brother and I there to spend our pocket money. I remember thinking I was so cool walking out with my Cascada CD.
Blockbusters - I think for me this is what I miss the most. Before the days of being old enough to Google a movie title and going purely off the summary on the back. I just knew getting through the week would be worth it because my dad would take me to Blockbusters on a Friday or Saturday night and let me leave with a Bring it On movie and a big bag of popcorn. I miss everything about Blockbusters.
Jane Norman - I was always the kid who never had enough money to have an actual Jane Norman bag, so when my mum bought something for herself and let me have the plastic bag for my PE kit? Suddenly I felt cool.
The Body Shop - Bath oil beads/pearls. Enough said.

Reactions: 2
Another place I’ve remembered today was Index it was just like Argos!

Reactions: 6
I used to love Habitat. Could never afford much but swore when I was a proper grown up I'd furnish my house from top to bottom with it. Too late now.
Also Cranks - one of the first vegetarian chains. I have lovely memories of the food but wonder if that is nostalgia and it really was that good.

Reactions: 3
This thread made me remember this one time when my mum took me to a shop called ‘Texas’ when I was quite small. Couldn’t for the life of me remember what they sold or if it even existed and I was getting mixed up with Tesco or something so I looked it up. Turns out it was a real shop that sold diy stuff, it’s successor was Homebase. I’m so glad I wasn’t imagining it lol.

I also remember going to ‘Do it All’ a lot with my parents which was another DIY shop that later became ‘Focus DIY’ I think.

I remember being in Wickes waiting for my parents to pay and pressing the Dr Pepper button on a vending and then a drink popped out! I hadn’t put any money in felt like winning the lottery.
My parents weren’t diy fans but we’d moved to a house that needed a lot of work doing to it hence why I have so many memories of me being dragged around diy shops🤣

Funny the random little things we remember once you start thinking about it.

Reactions: 4
Wimpy - there's still one where I used to live in Peterborough but none in the North.

Chelsea Girl, Miss Selfridge, Mark 1, Blockbuster (when it was a treat to choose a film).

Also now remembering from my teens that Reading town centre had lots of hippy shops which I loved.
mine big one upstairs in Broad Street Mall (never a crappier Mall has there been!!) at the top of the escalators and down Smelly Alley there were a few. As well as a shop that sold DM shoes.
Still love a floaty dress or skirt with a vest top. Just wish I was still the slim teen that I was then and not a dumpy middle aged woman.
My style swings between what could probably be described as quite prim. Floral dresses with smart cardigans and nice shoes to floaty hippy style stuff with sandals. No in between. I hate jeans and trousers.