Sex And The City & And Just Like That #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok… as a die hard SATC fan I needed a few days to process. Apart from it being nice to see familiar faces it really was a dumpster fire! I won’t even go into what they’ve done to Miranda and Stanford characters, Charlottes face and acting, the wanking scene and the not calling 911. But my main take aways are…

1.What the f was with the box ticking wokeness?! Now I’m pretty woke but it just felt so forced, performative and preachy. I see in the trailer for the next episode there’s now someone in a wheelchair… of course there bleeping is 🙄

2. These characters are in their 50s and 60s for gods sake!! Each character mentioned their age at least once!! What was it with the endless grey hair chat, the hearing aides, Carries bad back, everyone in glasses, the reference Samantha being old and fitting in in London and Bigs premature death! They acted more in their 80s and 90s… Jeez just stick them all in a nursing home and be done with it!
I know!! my parents are in their 70s and the complaining about health issues like this reminded me more of them! Also I get the need to represent issues older people have etc but really we all watch SATC for escapism, god knows we all need some atm, I don't want endless complaining about health issues

Reactions: 6
What the f was with the box ticking wokeness?! Now I’m pretty woke but it just felt so forced, performative and preachy. I see in the trailer for the next episode there’s now someone in a wheelchair… of course there bleeping is 🙄
I hate talk show interviews with actors, but ended up watching one of cynthia and kirsten and they were saying how great it was they had the chance to "fix mistakes of the past" - the 4 main white characters. There was a lack of diversity back when the show came out on TV in general, but can that even be fixed retrospectively? Lots of shows look problematic with 2021 eyes.

Just looked up the diversity of Manhattan and the areas they lived in for most of the time (upper east, upper west, west village) were 70%-100% white with significantly less diversity in NYC back then (page 33 of here - https://furmancenter.org/files/sotc..._Makeup_of_New_York_City_Neighborhoods_11.pdf ). It does look bad the number of shows there 20 years ago that are majority white, but maybe that was some people's reality living in the affluent areas of Manhattan?

Is it really fixing anything by pairing them all up with a new woman of colour bestie? Especially as none of the new characters are particularly good - the french fry scene was awful. If anything isn't it worse to deliberately box tick to include diversity for the sake of it? I'm not quite sure how you fix mistakes of the past, but this doesn't work for me - but I could be totally wrong!

I'm surprised we're still allowed to call them French fries as the name is said to have come from US soldiers based in Belgium that called them that because they speak French there.

Reactions: 14
I hate talk show interviews with actors, but ended up watching one of cynthia and kirsten and they were saying how great it was they had the chance to "fix mistakes of the past" - the 4 main white characters. There was a lack of diversity back when the show came out on TV in general, but can that even be fixed retrospectively? Lots of shows look problematic with 2021 eyes.

Just looked up the diversity of Manhattan and the areas they lived in for most of the time (upper east, upper west, west village) and 70-100% were white with significantly less diversity in NYC back then (page 33 of here - https://furmancenter.org/files/sotc..._Makeup_of_New_York_City_Neighborhoods_11.pdf ). It does look bad the number of shows there 20 years ago that are majority white, but maybe that was some people's reality living in the affluent areas of Manhattan?

Is it really fixing anything by pairing them all up with a new woman of colour bestie? Especially as none of the new characters are particularly good - the french fry scene was awful. If anything isn't it worse to deliberately box tick to include diversity for the sake of it? I'm not quite sure how you fix mistakes of the past, but this doesn't work for me - but I could be totally wrong!

I'm surprised we're still allowed to call them French fries as the name is said to have come from US soldiers based in Belgium that called them that because they speak French there.
Yeah it really isn't possible to "correct" things as such, obviously I would expect that something they have made now would be different from the 90s/2000s , I could never imagine Carrie saying she didn't "believe" in bisexuality now, for example, but the way they have done it is jut weirdly unnatural.
Also the way they are kind of starting everything from the beginning, i.e how Carrie has just started her podcast, what is she supposed to have been doing for the last however many years it has been, it would seem more natural if they were in the middle of the things they were doing, which was the case in the first series
OT but remember when they started calling them "freedom fries" after France wouldn't get involved in either Iraq or Afghanistan? :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Just looked up the diversity of Manhattan and the areas they lived in for most of the time (upper east, upper west, west village) and 70-100% were white with significantly less diversity in NYC back then (page 33 of here - https://furmancenter.org/files/sotc..._Makeup_of_New_York_City_Neighborhoods_11.pdf ). It does look bad the number of shows there 20 years ago that are majority white, but maybe that was some people's reality living in the affluent areas of Manhattan?

Friends was also slated for the its lack of diversity despite nearly all of the shows based in NYC being predominantly white back in the 90s. There were also a lot of all black sitcoms that no one questioned. That’s how it was and to me this righting of wrongs attitude is still just about doing the bare minimum to show you're woke, rather than appropriately changing the narrative to reflect the real world. Anyone else notice that all of these really pretty black presenters and actors are always young and very light skinned still? And how many people genuinely know or have ever met any non-binary or trans people in everyday life?

Reactions: 4
Yes I think it’s entirely possible they would have lived in a white bubble, location wise. Plus, on this rewatch I’m embarking on, the social scenes are quite diverse but they’re mostly non speaking roles aye.

Why do they feel the need to correct everything? it was what it was now wouldn't it have been more realistic if one of the kids had a black friend or something? you dont need to fit in every type in tv shows it annoys me. Fine have a gay character but you don't need, black, gay, non binary etc. Personally I think it would have been more realistic if say one of them had a black or gay friend and then maybe Carrie could talk about non binary etc on the podcast.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Friends was also slated for the its lack of diversity despite nearly all of the shows based in NYC being predominantly white back in the 90s. There were also a lot of all black sitcoms that no one questioned.
Is it controversial to think that it was more realistic for the 90s (even in NYC) to have groups of friends that are the same race? It's not my experience of living there, but it's not my generation either.
There was a similar show to friends around the same time and it was all black - had Queen Latifah in it.

Friends has aged way worse than sex and the city, not because the main characters are white but because of things like Monica in the fat suit and the male nanny.

Reactions: 8
I am going to be so pissed off if they break miranda and Steve up and make her a lesbian because it will all just he another attempt to be woke or some tit
We can see it coming a mile off. The story would be interesting for another character in another series, just not this couple.

The real Miranda would have told that seminar group to go duck themselves, she was so switched on, sardonic and witty. She grew up in Philly, lived and worked in NYC and went out with a black doctor (who was allowed to be his own person and not a Valuable Teaching Experience) and yet somehow we're supposed to believe she's falling over herself making all these faux pas in social situations, as though she has just woken up after being cryogenically frozen for decades.

Why can't Charlotte be more than just the 'mom' of the series? Neither of her children are toddlers. She has extensive knowledge of art, was an avid runner, enjoyed tennis, riding horses and getting involved in charity projects. Give her something fun to do!

No need for Brady sex scenes either, they feel gratuitous and are unnecessary.

Despite all these new writers and characters, I just feel like we're watching Michael Patrick King's interpretation of what happens to women in their 50s and it's really disappointing.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
We can see it coming a mile off. The story would be interesting for another character in another series, just not this couple.

The real Miranda would have told that seminar group to go duck themselves, she was so switched on, sardonic and witty. She grew up in Philly, lived and worked in NYC and went out with a black doctor (who was allowed to be his own person and not a Valuable Teaching Experience) and yet somehow we're supposed to believe she's falling over herself making all these faux pas in social situations, as though she has just woken up after being cryogenically frozen for decades.

Why can't Charlotte be more than just the 'mom' of the series? Neither of her children are toddlers. She has extensive knowledge of art, was an avid runner, enjoyed tennis, riding horses and getting involved in charity projects. Give her something fun to do!

No need for Brady sex scenes either, they feel gratuitous and are unnecessary.

Despite all these new writers and characters, I just feel like we're watching Michael Patrick King's interpretation of what happens to women in their 50s and it's really disappointing.
yeah I don't believe that Miranda would have brought up a son who was so disrespectful of her tbh, I get her letting him have sex in their flat but all the OTT PDA and noise... I wuold never put up with that and I don't believe she would

omg I cannot wait :ROFLMAO: I thought I read that she was becoming more" french" but this outfit is the usual atrocious mess!

Reactions: 7
Kim reading the script ...

She's knows it and they all know it , Kim brought the Sex to Sex and The City . She moved to London because Carrie fired her?! Why couldn’t she have just moved because she wanted a new beginning. People/friends grow apart all the time at least that would've been more believable.

May as well be the Golden Girls , but without the witty humour.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
OT but remember when they started calling them "freedom fries" after France wouldn't get involved in either Iraq or Afghanistan? :ROFLMAO:
How did I miss that campaign? 😆 It might have taken off in 2021

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Kim reading the script ...

She's knows it and they all know it , Kim brought the Sex to Sex and The City . She moved to London because Carrie fired her?! Why couldn’t she have just moved for a new beginning. People/friends grow apart all the time at least that would've been more believable.

May as well be the Golden Girls , but without the witty humour.
Also the scene where the friend they run into asks where Samantha is, as if 4 adult women need to be together at all times was weird

How did I miss that campaign? 😆 It might have taken off in 2021

She's knows it and they all know it , Kim brought the Sex to Sex and The City . She moved to London because Carrie fired her?! Why couldn’t she have just moved for a new beginning. People/friends grow apart all the time at least that would've been more believable.
The quip about Sam treating Carrie as her personal ATM made me go huh?!? She had her own business, owned her apartment and offered to chip in for Carrie's downpayment even though Carrie was financially irresponsible.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
The quip about Sam treating Carrie as her personal ATM made me go huh?!? She had her own business, owned her apartment and offered to chip in for Carrie's downpayment even though Carrie was financially irresponsible.
exactly, Carrie had none of her own money I would assume having given up her job to go to Paris, Sam was very fiscally responsible, whole thing makes 0 sense

Reactions: 12

Just looked up the diversity of Manhattan and the areas they lived in for most of the time (upper east, upper west, west village) were 70%-100% white with significantly less diversity in NYC back then (page 33 of here - https://furmancenter.org/files/sotc..._Makeup_of_New_York_City_Neighborhoods_11.pdf ). It does look bad the number of shows there 20 years ago that are majority white, but maybe that was some people's reality living in the affluent areas of Manhattan?

In my opinion tokenism is far more offensive than not being represented at all! It felt like inclusivity and diversity training ffs. Did they not learn anything from the horrific job they did tackling “feminism” in the second film 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I really think Charlotte's tomboyish daughter will end up being non binary or even trans. In the past it would just have been she was a tomboy, like so many girls were, but in this day and age it will become a huge issue rather than just a girl who likes sports and doesn't wear dresses

• Sick
Reactions: 20
Friends was also slated for the its lack of diversity despite nearly all of the shows based in NYC being predominantly white back in the 90s. There were also a lot of all black sitcoms that no one questioned. That’s how it was and to me this righting of wrongs attitude is still just about doing the bare minimum to show you're woke, rather than appropriately changing the narrative to reflect the real world. Anyone else notice that all of these really pretty black presenters and actors are always young and very light skinned still? And how many people genuinely know or have ever met any non-binary or trans people in everyday life?
My Mum's husband came out as transsexual a couple of years ago, and next year will have full gender reassignment surgery. She has been living as a woman for over 2 years now. She and my Mum are staying together, as my Mum says, she's almost 70 and isn't bothered at this stage of life. I personally don't believe her, but for her it's this or she is single again at the age of 68. My sister and her have fallen out badly over it and the whole family is affected now, we will probably never all get together again.

I am certainly not saying that people shouldn't live their truth, but there are consequences, not everyone gets it, and it certainly isn't ever as easy or accepted as it's portrayed on the TV!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.