Sex And The City & And Just Like That #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well this confirms that alcoholism is going to be tackled amongst other issues (hmm, I wonder who...?! They have been so subtle about it. Not.)

When did the original SATC tackle the 9/11 terrorist attacks though?? 🤔

The episode when the sailers came to town was supposed to be about 911? I remember Carrie says at brunch how they need to go and ‘throw some much needed money downtown’. This referred to the financial crash after 911 apparently- it’s the episode where Samantha shoves Miranda in a cab as she has Brady with her and is cramping her style.

Reactions: 5
The episode when the sailers came to town was supposed to be about the bombings? I remember Carrie says at brunch how they need to go and’throw some much needed money downtown’. This referred to the financial crash after 911 apparently- it’s the episode where Samantha shoves Miranda in a cab as she has Brady with her and is cramping her style.
I remember the episode, I think it was called I ❤ New York, and I recall there was a tribute at the end which referred to 9/11 but I wouldn't call it "tackling" the issue. Carrie just went on about New York being her "man" and that was about it. To me, tackling the issue would have been the characters talking about it, about people they know who were directly affected and lost loved ones and the changes it made to life in the city (increased security everywhere).

I visited New York six years after the attacks and people were still talking about where they were when it happened, you would overhear them in restaurants discussing it, and the heightened security everywhere meant it was impossible to ignore what had happened. The city was in mourning for a long time.

While I get that SATC chose to honour the events in an indirect way, this episode being their "love letter to NY", I think to say that they "tackled" the issue is a bit of a stretch!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
It’s just trying so hard to cover every woke topic known to man (excuse the irony there). It could absolutely cover these issues in a less throw it down your throat way, this almost comical slap dash way makes a bit of a mockery of them. I also cringed hard in episode one at the French fries scene, like OMG women eat French fries shock horror 😖

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It’s just trying so hard to cover every woke topic known to man (excuse the irony there). It could absolutely cover these issues in a less throw it down your throat way, this almost comical slap dash way makes a bit of a mockery of them. I also cringed hard in episode one at the French fries scene, like OMG women eat French fries shock horror 😖
Yeah I thought that was really weird and backwards considering how mainstream the body posi movement is, especially in the US?! Same with the heels vs flats. So women still have to restrict calories & wear heels but also you can give weed to a child & smoke it at a funeral and that’s fine as long as you run a podcast…?!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thank you

And yes, it’s such a huge flaw in friends focussed dramas - the micro bubble they exist in without siblings or parents or a wider family. So contrived (I know, I know it’s fiction etc etc).
We had Charlottes brother Wesley that Samantha shagged. Wesley and Lesley.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
They did not address 9/11 in the show, they put a dedication at the end of I Heart NY and then cropped out the World Trade Centre in the opening credits for the remainder of the time.

I heart NY was the episode where Big was moving to Napa and Brady was born. They didn’t address 9/11 but for a brief dedication at the end of the episode, which was the season 4 finale. Anchors away was the next episode at the beginning of series 5, Carrie dating NY. So much cringe 😖

• Haha
I heart NY was the episode where Big was moving to Napa and Brady was born. They didn’t address 9/11 but for a brief dedication at the end of the episode, which was the season 4 finale. Anchors away was the next episode at the beginning of series 5, Carrie dating NY. So much cringe 😖
Yes, you're right, I always get those two episodes confused but that was the extent of their "tackling" 9/11. Which is fine but don't then claim that it was a tough issue that the series addressed! If I remember rightly both SATC and Friends were criticised at the time for being NY based shows that walked past this momentous event.

Considering we live in a pretty ageist society I think there is absolutely a need for a show like this that shows life doesn't end at 50. But I'd expected it to be done with more authenticity, are the writers all young or something. Yes the world has changed but most of us don't encounter every aspect of diversity on a daily basis. The modern world can be woven in amongst the other aspects of the characters lives. I think what's suspect ed of Charlotte's daughter being one good example.
It might be interesting to see a storyline in which the daughter decides that she’s a boy and has to be addressed by he/him pronouns (cos she did after all - gasp!! - object to wearing a flowery frock so what other explanation could there be) and Charlotte then having to tiptoe her way through the minefield of being supportive while at the same time thinking that it’s all a massive load of old bollocks and feeing completely terrified. I know 2 mums going through that particular hell at the moment and in those kind of elite liberal circles I would imagine it’s not that unusual.

• Sick
  • Sad
I’m not entirely sure Rose does want to transitition/lean into non binary territory. I just got the idea that she’s a tomboy and Charlotte just doesn’t know how to handle that. Or at least that’s all it needs to be! I don’t like the word woke as it’s been co-opted for all the wrong reasons by all the wrong people but I do like to stay on the right side of history - yet I feel like this is doing too much too quickly.

Reactions: 8
I remember the episode, I think it was called I ❤ New York, and I recall there was a tribute at the end which referred to 9/11 but I wouldn't call it "tackling" the issue. Carrie just went on about New York being her "man" and that was about it. To me, tackling the issue would have been the characters talking about it, about people they know who were directly affected and lost loved ones and the changes it made to life in the city (increased security everywhere).

I visited New York six years after the attacks and people were still talking about where they were when it happened, you would overhear them in restaurants discussing it, and the heightened security everywhere meant it was impossible to ignore what had happened. The city was in mourning for a long time.

While I get that SATC chose to honour the events in an indirect way, this episode being their "love letter to NY", I think to say that they "tackled" the issue is a bit of a stretch!
I was living in NY for the attacks. It was all so totally encompassing and draining, for everyone in the city and outside, for months on end, that it was an absolute blessed relief that they didn’t spend an episode “tackling the issue”. We were desperate for light-hearted frivolity and just an optimistic feeling that the city would be ok, and SATC coming back was one of the things that made that happen. I can’t remember when the show came back on air but I really don’t recall anyone talking about the missed opportunity of the girls not talking about people they knew who had died. We’d had so much mourning, we had had so many of those conversations, and it was time for something else. That subtle tribute, and the girls just carrying on with their lives as we all were trying to, was just perfect.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I was living in NY for the attacks. It was all so totally encompassing and draining, for everyone in the city and outside, for months on end, that it was an absolute blessed relief that they didn’t spend an episode “tackling the issue”. We were desperate for light-hearted frivolity and just an optimistic feeling that the city would be ok, and SATC coming back was one of the things that made that happen. I can’t remember when the show came back on air but I really don’t recall anyone talking about the missed opportunity of the girls not talking about people they knew who had died. We’d had so much mourning, we had had so many of those conversations, and it was time for something else. That subtle tribute, and the girls just carrying on with their lives as we all were trying to, was just perfect.
I agree. But what frustrates me is an article that says that they tackled tough issues such as 9/11. When they didn't.

Reactions: 4
The chip thing was awful. So dated.

I don’t know what planet the writers are on tbh. I’ll watch it for the fluff but it’s not sophisticated.

Reactions: 7
The only thing they did was remove the twin towers from the credits from that episode onwards. I don’t remember them ever saying they wanted to tackle 9/11, just acknowledge it happened in some way. I don’t imagine anyone knew how to address it then as it was so raw. God bless all of you who were affected. ❤

i'm still not sure if I love or dislike her glasses
and-just-like-that-who-is-susan-sharon-from-sex-and-the-city-1078x516.jpg

• Haha
I’ve always wondered from a NYC native point of view if you are offended at the sight of the old towers, or whether they still feel special and are happy to still see them. I have friends there that still like to see the old skyline, but I guess it depends how directly you were affected. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1
Tell me Patricia Field is not involved with this series without telling me Patricia Field is not involved in this series...

Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 11.34.24.png

(Who did Cynthia Nixon upset in the wardrobe dept?)

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.