Sex And The City & And Just Like That #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The ‘ATM’ comment was definitely an open dig at Kim Catrall as there have been rumours that KC was unhappy about the salaries each of the women were paid. SJP got a lot more and KC allegedly thought that was unfair and that the other 3 should have had a fairer share and negotiated as such. SJP was rumoured not to like that and it caused a rift.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Guys, I feel uncomfortable with scrutinizing whether or not they ‘should’ have had diverse friends or the demographics of a particular neighborhood in a certain time in the 90s lol.

The point is, they are rebooting the show right now in 2021 and have chosen to add a more diverse cast. Fine. No one should be flailing about that. It’s a new update so let it be updated.

But the problem is— is the show any good? And this is the important part— if it’s not, let’s not blame it on the fact that there are now women of colour in the cast. Let’s blame it on the writing and production!
In fact, I think it’s entirely possible to update SATC with a vibrant and diverse NYC in the midst of new media and social changes, and just not do it horribly.

In fact, have they ever been able to recapture that original dynamic quality, even with the films? I mean, the second film was tit and it certainly was not ‘woke’, lol, quite the opposite.
I’m sure people will argue with this, but maybe consider how many complaints have landed on the mere presence of WOC in the cast or the fact that they’re now talking about things like gender fluidity, which shouldn’t be so triggering. If the show isn’t interesting or well written, it’s not because Carrie has a Black friend.
But it’s purely a box ticking exercise - and a poorly executed one at that. It’s just not believable. It’s like they’ve thrown every cliche, every social issue, every issue of social inequality into a pot and it’s now spewing out in the storyline. There were black men & woman in the original show, and also various other nationalities and heritages featured aswell as characters from the gay & lesbian community etc etc etc - why now awkwardly make every new character a tick in the “woke” box? Why does Che HAVE to be mixed race AND queer? Why does Miranda have to have a black professor that she makes friends with? Why does Charlotte’s friend have to be black? It’s just so forced.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh come on the newest series of “sex education” was so much of an exercise in shoehorning all the right woke tropes into one season. In that way, “and just like that” is exactly the same. The old series hasn’t aged great but it had some heart and wasn’t pandering nearly so much.
And the last film didn’t “pander” in the least and yet it sucked spectacularly. The issue is that despite this being the third reboot now, they’ve never been able to recapture the original energy. It’s just very revealing that all the Basics are now pointing fingers at “wokeness” (ffs can we stop using that word in this way), instead of accepting that the series can’t be rebooted and if it is, it won’t be the same series you watched in the 90s.

Newsflash, the original SATC series also shoehorned in stupid ass tropes and had the cringiest storylines ever, and I’m not even talking about storylines that were offensive, I’m just talking about stupid and cringey and weird. It was 6 seasons long and a lot of it was a ‘procedural’ type of narrative and a lot of those episodes are dumb and boring even. I agree it had charm and heart overall, however, I don’t agree that actual human women characters whose identity is tied in with their race should be snidely dismissed as just “shoehorned” or bringing the show down any more than any other character or plotline. The point is if it’s done well.

You know back in the 90s having gay characters and women talking about and having casual sex on TV was painted as “woke” and going too far and trying too hard, just with other language. But I guess it didn’t matter because you could see yourself in it then.

Why does Miranda have to have a black professor that she makes friends with? Why does Charlotte’s friend have to be black? It’s just so forced.
Why not? Is it “forced” or “lazy” if they’re all white? Like why does this bother you guys so much lol!

Reactions: 8
I don’t agree that Samantha wouldn’t take a business decision personally, I mean she took it personally when Carrie didn’t like her idea for her book cover that time, in fact it took Marcus (Stanfords lovely boyfriend) to point out that the hideous dated nightie and shoes that she had chosen for Carrie was ‘not very modern’ and she was still put out (although later admitted it was partly because she was still upset about Richard). Also when Smith says his mum and grandmother were worried/ concerned/ and embarrassed about him posing naked for the Absolute hunk ads, she says to ignore them as they are ‘prudes and nobodies’!
(Although in hindsight I actually think that reflects worse on Smith. Spineless prick, I’d have been bleeping raging if my manager referred to my mum and nan like that).
Wasn’t it “prudes, drunks and nobodies”?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
What I find strange is that the storylines were mostly around the people they were dating/shagging. It’s seems strange that they are introducing female/non binary characters that last longer than 1 episode as was the format before. It seems a very different to the series we all remember.

Reactions: 6
And the last film didn’t “pander” in the least and yet it sucked spectacularly. The issue is that despite this being the third reboot now, they’ve never been able to recapture the original energy. It’s just very revealing that all the Basics are now pointing fingers at “wokeness” (ffs can we stop using that word in this way), instead of accepting that the series can’t be rebooted and if it is, it won’t be the same series you watched in the 90s.

Newsflash, the original SATC series also shoehorned in stupid ass tropes and had the cringiest storylines ever, and I’m not even talking about storylines that were offensive, I’m just talking about stupid and cringey and weird. It was 6 seasons long and a lot of it was a ‘procedural’ type of narrative and a lot of those episodes are dumb and boring even. I agree it had charm and heart overall, however, I don’t agree that actual human women characters whose identity is tied in with their race should be snidely dismissed as just “shoehorned” or bringing the show down any more than any other character or plotline. The point is if it’s done well.

You know back in the 90s having gay characters and women talking about and having casual sex on TV was painted as “woke” and going too far and trying too hard, just with other language. But I guess it didn’t matter because you could see yourself in it then.

Why not? Is it “forced” or “lazy” if they’re all white? Like why does this bother you guys so much lol!
What’s a Basic?

I don’t think the word “woke” existed in the 90s, did it?. Or if it did, it really wasn’t a thing. Maybe what you’re referring to is pushing boundaries and being rather shocking particularly about female sexuality, which the original SATC definitely did, but in a way that didn’t insist everyone else live their life by the same standards.

“Woke” (in the way I understand it) isn’t just about being progressive, it seems to go along with a) virtue-signalling b) an incredibly predictable collection of thoughts and opinions and c) a tendency of the wokester to know how everyone else ought to live their lives and tell them so d) a similar tendency to want to shut down conversations and language for being “offensive”, presumably in the belief that being offended is truly the worst thing in the world. But possibly others have different definitions.

Reactions: 9
They are all supposed to be 55. Tess Daly is 52 and looks far younger than them all - have they dialled up the HD or something? I’m now taking vitamins with her face on in case it helps.
I know Tess has probably had some derm help but why couldn’t Kristen have found a better doctor - like hers?
Wow didn't know Tess was 52! She looks good and yes has probably had some sensible tweeks.

Reactions: 2
I was a 90s twit who has tried to listen and learn and I’m not sure why they shouldn’t be doing that too- albeit in a ham fisted way.

Also, they were so repugnantly self centred I wonder if it’s a bit about being more outward looking too.

What’s a Basic?

I don’t think the word “woke” existed in the 90s, did it?. Or if it did, it really wasn’t a thing. Maybe what you’re referring to is pushing boundaries and being rather shocking particularly about female sexuality, which the original SATC definitely did, but in a way that didn’t insist everyone else live their life by the same standards.

“Woke” (in the way I understand it) isn’t just about being progressive, it seems to go along with a) virtue-signalling b) an incredibly predictable collection of thoughts and opinions and c) a tendency of the wokester to know how everyone else ought to live their lives and tell them so d) a similar tendency to want to shut down conversations and language for being “offensive”, presumably in the belief that being offended is truly the worst thing in the world. But possibly others have different definitions.
‘Woke’ as a word definitely didn’t get used in the 90s, although the word itself has been around since the 40s. There was plenty of really progressive programmes like Queer as Folk and SATC. Even 90210 dealt with controversial issues. I think what people get annoyed about is the constant need to re-write history and apologise for everything that we didn’t know any better for at the time. Even the creator of QAF, has come out and stated it is unacceptable to cast heterosexual people in gay roles when creating Its a Sin, despite him building his whole career on casting 3 heterosexual men in the lead role of a show that he sold to the US as well.

Progressive thoughts and opinions are integral for a society to keep evolving, but we have to stop viewing everything the way it is now when it comes to unpicking our history. I don’t understand and am utterly appalled by certain things that happened in my generation and the one before but I don’t think you learn by re-writing history. I think you learn from discussing those mistakes. understanding the route cause and changing current and future conversations.

In the same vein that the modern generation are offended by being called woke, older generations are offended by being called old-fashioned and dinosaurs for holding more traditional beliefs. Ultimately, people need to respect that we all have our own opinions and we won’t always agree.

Reactions: 8
In the same vein that the modern generation are offended by being called woke, older generations are offended by being called old-fashioned and dinosaurs for holding more traditional beliefs. Ultimately, people need to respect that we all have our own opinions and we won’t always agree.
I appreciate what you’re saying. The Pope has already said we need to be welcoming to people regardless of sexual orientation. What valid reasons are left for people to marginalize LGBTQ+ individuals?

I appreciate what you’re saying. The Pope has already said we need to be welcoming to people regardless of sexual orientation. What valid reasons are left for people to marginalize LGBTQ+ individuals?
Nobody should be marginalised, but the way to move forward for me is to accept that not everyone will understand or accept you and that’s ok as long as they respect your right to be whoever you want to be (unless its illegal of course).

Peloton have responded with a new advert 🤣

I’m really surprised they aren’t suing.

Peloton have responded with a new advert 🤣

Ha! 😆 Well of all the millions peloton have spent on marketing, paying Ryan Reynold's agency to make this was probably some of the best they've spent.

At least they're not bitter when he commissioned the same actress from their ill fated Christmas present advert to promote his gin and poke at their ad.

Screenshot_20211212-212156_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Nobody should be marginalised, but the way to move forward for me is to accept that not everyone will understand or accept you and that’s ok as long as they respect your right to be whoever you want to be (unless its illegal of course).
That is how marginalization works. When we do not learn to accept people as they are, that person becomes an “other” meaning different. That historically has never been a good position to be in.

Reactions: 3
That is how marginalization works. When we do not learn to accept people as they are, that person becomes an “other” meaning different. That historically has never been a good position to be in.
But we’re all ‘others’ in some way or another and some things will always be more majority than others. but you can’t force people to agree with you. Respecting peoples rights means you acknowledge that they have that right and it matters.

But we’re all ‘others’ in some way or another and some things will always be more majority than others. but you can’t force people to agree with you. Respecting peoples rights means you acknowledge that they have that right and it matters.
But this isn’t a depiction of majority, it’s propaganda. I said in an earlier post and I meant it: Having a Jewish woman, an Irish woman, and a blue blood WASP in a close knit friendship circle is forcing a narrative too. It’s a fantasy.

Because it is forced!!!!!! There’s nothing organic about it - they’ve taken character like Miranda, who is a lawyer and has lived in NYC for her whole adult life and they are making her behave like she’s never been in the company of intelligent, equally financially secure, attractive people of colour before. It’s ridiculous. It’s making an issue where there was none.

Reactions: 9
But this isn’t a depiction of majority, it’s propaganda. I said in an earlier post and I meant it: Having a Jewish woman, an Irish woman, and a blue blood WASP in a close knit friendship circle is forcing a narrative too. It’s a fantasy.
You should start a new thread on this topic. It’s definitely thought provoking. And can I say for the record I accept everyone if that’s not clear. Nothing is sadder in life than feeling like an outcast.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.