Self improvement corner!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Sadies any recommendations on food 🤩🤗🍹🍾🍓🍇🥓🍖🥞🍛🍜🍝🍡🍨🍸🍦🥑🥥.Here we have a lot of new members not related to previous topic
I am perhaps the worst person to ask about dieting advice since I can eat 5k+ cal on a day with no issues since I will burn it all off kicking heads in😅

With that in mind, while helping friends losing weight with no added exercise needed I've noticed some trends going on:
1 Quantity, what they eat is pretty healthy, but they eat obscene amounts of it. The dose makes the poison :)

2 This is healthy right? They hear soda/candy contains a lot of sugar, and switch to an healthier alternative like juice/fruit soda or candied fruits. Which yes, is "healthier" with all the vitamins and fibers you get, but juice/fruit soda and candied fruit is also often just as high if not higher in sugar :/ and continueing to consume it in the same quantity as before isn't very helpful...

3 Doing it consistently, quite similar to Anna Bey. They continously follow fad diets they can't stick to long term, or try to follow the same extreme diets, but consistently fail at it. It also place them in a mindset of "it's fine if I "try" and fail 5 min later"

4 Ask "unqualified" people for help, I understand it's easier to turn to a friend you know to ask for help ( like me). But you need a professional nutritionist and dietitian involved. Even with my knowledge of food etc. I still leave it to the pros. This also makes it less overwhelming :)

Sidenote: on the topic of exercise, if you are really heavy then be mindful of starting out really "hard". Do low impact exercises like swimming etc. your joints can easily get hurt.

Something that has helped almost everyone asking me for advice is gaining more knowledge about the food they put in their body, the history/culture behind it, it's development, the preparation of the food/raw ingredients, how and where does it grow and why?, nutritional facts etc :)

For actual food I've written 1 post on youtube ressources for food history:
and 1 about general food youtubers:

If you want anything specific I can always do a little digging in my brain :) A general "cookbook" I recommend for all is "Modernist Cuisine" even though it's pricier than what you usually find (and much more scientific):) Though I think the modernist cuisine still has the error on mother sauces. (A mistake in translation from french to english happened, and an imposter is amongst the mother sauces. Was only discovered like last year, and the modernist cuisine hasn't published v2 yet Q_Q)

For posture: I got a custom desk and chair, so I can sit in a position that encourages good posture. I also recall Michelle Joice (?) had a pretty solid and cheap program in improving your posture, which I took in the middle of the pandemic while stuck at home. I would recommend combining it together with a visit to the physical therapist, since it's easier to "learn" the new way of moving when you aren't tensed up and "stuck" in the past pattern.

Reactions: 10
Because of pop-rock from the former Yugoslavia. One of those weird, yet nice discoveries the YouTube algorithm offers every now and them.
I liked the songs I listened to so much, that I started to learn the language at my own pace.
Apart from online resources (that I can share if anyone is interested), I have a book called Teach Yourself Serbian.

Reactions: 2
Because of pop-rock from the former Yugoslavia. One of those weird, yet nice discoveries the YouTube algorithm offers every now and them.
I liked the songs I listened to so much, that I started to learn the language at my own pace.
Apart from online resources (that I can share if anyone is interested), I have a book called Teach Yourself Serbian.
I would recommend you to find series, movies, etc that you can watch with subtitles (thats how I and my brothers learned german, watching anime as children). That way you will learn the language faster, also if you have access to a person from Bosnia/Montenegro/Serbia you can practice your skills. People often divide the languages into Serbian and Bosnian but from my understanding (from what I have heard from my parents) there is not much difference, mostly how you pronounce/write certain words for example (the color) white is bijelo/bjelo.

Also, for some reason, they call blond hair = plava kosa. Plava boja means blue color. It is something that has troubled me ever since childhood.

Good luck with learning the language, the grammar part is horrendous but you usually spell things the way you say them. There are from what I remember no hidden letters, no double consonants etc.

Reactions: 8
I would recommend you to find series, movies, etc that you can watch with subtitles (thats how I and my brothers learned german, watching anime as children). That way you will learn the language faster, also if you have access to a person from Bosnia/Montenegro/Serbia you can practice your skills. People often divide the languages into Serbian and Bosnian but from my understanding (from what I have heard from my parents) there is not much difference, mostly how you pronounce/write certain words for example (the color) white is bijelo/bjelo.

Also, for some reason, they call blond hair = plava kosa. Plava boja means blue color. It is something that has troubled me ever since childhood.

Good luck with learning the language, the grammar part is horrendous but you usually spell things the way you say them. There are from what I remember no hidden letters, no double consonants etc.
Language student here! My top tip for tv shows is Disney channel/tween shows. It's not as bad as watching kiddie shows like Peppa pig but it's designed for kids so the actors are often over exaggerating with facial expression and things are spelt out with the background and the actors making it easy to follow along. There's a rarely a "hidden meaning" so to speak

Reactions: 13

I actually do things like those, but thanks for your advice 😃. I have some contacts from Serbia, so I also practise the language with them every now and then.

As you say, there isn't a huge difference among Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin. It's pretty much like the difference between the Spanish spoken in Spain and that of any Spanish-speaking country in Latin America 🤷🏻‍♀️. But I don't want to start another war, so I'll respect their names 😅.

And last, but not least...hvala ti puno na podršku 😘. (Thank you very much for your support.)

Leaving this topic aside, I would like to share with you a book that caught my attention: The Revolt of the Masses, by José Ortega y Gasset. If you are interested in politics, but mostly in reflections about society, this book may get your attention as well ☺.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Hi everyone, seems like my kind of thread! I've been really focused on self-improvement this last year so here what has worked for me(some things I've been doing for much longer). (If this isn't the kind of thing to post here please - apologies).

- It's better to set small goals every month or every few months then set extreme ones.
I've been using a daily habit tracker for over 6 months now to track and implement new habits into my life. ex: say I want to stretch every morning, I'll put that in the tracker and check the box daily until it becomes automatic and I see that after 2-3months I've filled in the box everyday.

as opposed to going the "new year, new me" route which has never worked out for me.

--------------------------
Finance:
I regularly watch and read books on personal finance, it's a muscle that needs to be developed and I think is important to maintain.
I also am starting to have savings and will have enough knowledge to invest after uni.
-----------------------------
Fitness:
- I've started going to pilates once a week, It's good for my back and it's a nice stress reliever.
- 5 mornings/week I hit the ellipitical and move for 20 minutes even if it's very slow. I'm just trying to build the habbit of moving my body for at least 20-30 minutes 6days/week.
Diet:
- I've decided to stop officially dieting.
- I've decided to drop a scarcity mindset towards food and just eat whatever I want but have a balanced diet - If I feel like eating a sweet I'll eat one after a large salad.
I've stopped binging and my weight is stable and I've lost a bit of weight.
I think it's also important to avoid processed food as much as possible. Eat cake sure, but make it yourself type of thing.
------------------------
Fashion/mental health: I only buy high quality clothing or good quality clothing but will not buy anything else for a year or will save up for it/work it into my budget. People wonder how I afford nice things and that's how, if I have my eye on a 300 quid coat I might save up 6months to a year for it. I try to only buy what I need and only spend a lot on items I feel are worth the quality/price.(i realize not everyone can do this).

Mental health: not planning as much/taking things day by day and staying in the present. establishing better boundaries.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
@Stella_Luna Can you recommend me oil colours for a friends birthday present?Budget is up to 100£.
What kind of oil colors are you after (I am a bit of an art supplies hoarder), I have been thinking about dipping my toes in oil colors myself.

If your friend already uses oil colors, I would try to find out what they are using and if they have a favorite brand or a wishlist. That way you don't need to worry about buying your friend something they already have. Some people like to buy a couple of basic colors and oil mediums, others prefer starter sets. I am a bit of a snobby about watercolors, often it is better to go for brands that are a bit more expensive because they don't have as much filler to paint ratio as cheaper brands do.

Before the pandemic and Brexit I often used to order from Jackson's Art Supplies (https://www.jacksonsart.com/colour/oil) here is the link for the oil colors, they have a nice range and are pretty good information about the brands, the paints etc.. Sometimes I go there to get information about a product, if you are outside the UK I would advise you to see what your local/national art supplies store are carrying.

Jacksons is a UK shop with decent prices compare to Norway, but now I have to pay for VAT, shipping, and import tax so I only order things that I can not find other places.

Reactions: 3
I know I wasn't asked, but almost every artist I know who prefers oil colors, do so because they create the colors themselves and can get extremely particular about it :)

Something that's been extremely popular with younger artists is anything from "CultureHustle", "Powders" would be more relevant with oil colors.

• Heart
Are any of you into skincare and hair care?

I have been needing a new lip balm and hair oil for a while and now that it is colder my lips crack easily and my hair is a bit of a mess (a lot of baby hair around my face). To say the least, I do look like a bit of a mess.

Any recommendation for hair oil for fine hair (it's fine but I have lots of it and it can get quite oily rather quickly)?

Also, any recommendations for lip balms or lip oils? I enjoyed Jo Malone Vitamin E lip conditioner but want to try something else. I am eyeing up
NANNETTE DE GASPÉ Nannette de Gaspé Baume Noir, Augustinus Bader The Lip Balm or Hourglass Nº 28 LIP TREATMENT OIL.
Has anyone tried these ones?

I don't like the ones with mint/peppermint as this dries out my lips. By Terry Baume de Rose Lipbalm was a disappointing last time I tried it (I tried it out a couple of years ago and it was great, so I do not know if they have changed the formula). I am also disappointed by: Dior Lip Glow oil, Laneige lip balm, and Clarins Lip comfort oil.

Are any of you into skincare and hair care?

I have been needing a new lip balm and hair oil for a while and now that it is colder my lips crack easily and my hair is a bit of a mess (a lot of baby hair around my face). To say the least, I do look like a bit of a mess.

Any recommendation for hair oil for fine hair (it's fine but I have lots of it and it can get quite oily rather quickly)?

Also, any recommendations for lip balms or lip oils? I enjoyed Jo Malone Vitamin E lip conditioner but want to try something else. I am eyeing up
NANNETTE DE GASPÉ Nannette de Gaspé Baume Noir, Augustinus Bader The Lip Balm or Hourglass Nº 28 LIP TREATMENT OIL.
Has anyone tried these ones?

I don't like the ones with mint/peppermint as this dries out my lips. By Terry Baume de Rose Lipbalm was a disappointing last time I tried it (I tried it out a couple of years ago and it was great, so I do not know if they have changed the formula). I am also disappointed by: Dior Lip Glow oil, Laneige lip balm, and Clarins Lip comfort oil.
I'm really tempted to try fresh lip balms - they're tinted and supposed to be super hydrating

Reactions: 2
@Stella_Luna Can you recommend me oil colours for a friends birthday present?Budget is up to 100£.
I have a small idea if you are not sure what to buy your friend, would it be possible to make a lunch date with art supplies shopping afterward? That way your friend can pick whatever they wish for the budget you have saved up. It might be easier for your and a nice day out with your frind.

Reactions: 4
Hello dear friends!

I just want to say that we should all thank God for the vaccines, especially during this pandemic. It helps, even only one dose, depending on the vaccine brand and depending on your body's immune system.

I catched a covid around night of 11September, so symptoms like fever, stuffy nose, a little difficulty in breathing, loss of smell and taste started 12Sept and the fever went down on 18Sept. Prior to that, I got a 1st shot of Gamaleya Sputnik Vaccine given by our local government unit, so I am one of those who just experienced mild symptoms despite being vaccinated. Just that, I started RT-PCR last 20Sept and that's the time I got tested positive. My youngest sister had to go on leave of absence to assist my mom in household chores and providing food for stroke patient of my dad. I had to quarantine inside my room for 14 days. Fortunately, despite the quarantine, I was still capable to work at home answering customer calls.

I had a 2nd RT-PCR and still generated POSITIVE, so I had to quarantine for additional 7 days. Fortunately, during the whole 14 days from 20Sept until now, I was not experiencing fever, chills, breathing has become easier, sense of smell and taste are getting back slowly. So it's like, false positive.

Vaccines cannot save us from Covid-19 100%, but it can save us from severe effects of covid and hospital bills.

In the Philippines, when getting hospitalized due to Covid-19, it will cost anyone up to a million pesos in hospital bills, and that does not include meds yet.

So, even if the available vaccine is Sinovac with only 50% efficicacy, still, grab it. The best and most available vaccine is still the best vaccine.

Some of us maybe antivaxxers but one thing is for sure, despite the lapses of some vaccines, there are vaccines around that saved the live of children from influenza, measles, or even poliomyelits.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
For those that are anti vaxxers, an old episode of family guy said it perfectly. You pray to god for a cure for diseases, so he gives us smart people that can cure them, but since it’s not in the form of a miracle you believe that it’s the devils work. Your prayers have been answered but since it’s not in the way you hoped, you discard it. Be open minded because God works in many mysterious ways.
Hello dear friends!

I just want to say that we should all thank God for the vaccines, especially during this pandemic. It helps, even only one dose, depending on the vaccine brand and depending on your body's immune system.

I catched a covid around night of 11September, so symptoms like fever, stuffy nose, a little difficulty in breathing, loss of smell and taste started 12Sept and the fever went down on 18Sept. Prior to that, I got a 1st shot of Gamaleya Sputnik Vaccine given by our local government unit, so I am one of those who just experienced mild symptoms despite being vaccinated. Just that, I started RT-PCR last 20Sept and that's the time I got tested positive. My youngest sister had to go on leave of absence to assist my mom in household chores and providing food for stroke patient of my dad. I had to quarantine inside my room for 14 days. Fortunately, despite the quarantine, I was still capable to work at home answering customer calls.

I had a 2nd RT-PCR and still generated POSITIVE, so I had to quarantine for additional 7 days. Fortunately, during the whole 14 days from 20Sept until now, I was not experiencing fever, chills, breathing has become easier, sense of smell and taste are getting back slowly. So it's like, false positive.

Vaccines cannot save us from Covid-19 100%, but it can save us from severe effects of covid and hospital bills.

In the Philippines, when getting hospitalized due to Covid-19, it will cost anyone up to a million pesos in hospital bills, and that does not include meds yet.

So, even if the available vaccine is Sinovac with only 50% efficicacy, still, grab it. The best and most available vaccine is still the best vaccine.

Some of us maybe antivaxxers but one thing is for sure, despite the lapses of some vaccines, there are vaccines around that saved the live of children from influenza, measles, or even poliomyelits.

• Heart
Reactions: 17