Self improvement corner!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh I love this thread! I also came here after months of lurking our favourite Hermessas affluent coach thread! Please keep them coming ladies, I’m loving every single one of the tips and informations that you have regarding self improvement!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hello ladies!

Came her from the Anna Bey thread, stayed for the great advice.

Has anyone read Barbara Sher's books? I stumbled upon her TedX talk by accident

And it was so touching and funny I immediately went and dowloaded her book.

Which is how I found out I was a Scanner - a person that is always starting new things, new projects, but never finishes them, at least to Society's standards.

This whole concept is so interesting to me, because I have been struggling, in therapy, too, with how many things I completely and utterly fall in love with only to stop doing them a few months later. Bam, all of a sudden its the most booooring thing I can imagine doing. I have struggled through some of them immediately, but I find I am a cyclical scanner - I enjoy things, leave them, but eventually I do return and find them just as fascinating as I did when I started.

It also explains, why, even with my best efforts, I can never stick to a habit that isn't strictly neccessary (I do stick to some things like brushing my teeth obviously 😉). I had a great phase of 6am yoga which was so wonderful and one day I just stopped.

I read Atomic Habits, I read Finish What You Start, I read How To Get Things Done, I read So Good They Can't Ignore You, and I'm sure there were others in the past. But none of them could explain why there was this "wall" I ran into at some point, where my brain just goes "booooooring" like a perpetulant teenager and I completely stop doing what I used to enjoy.

So in case anyone has this issue here too I can recommend her books "I Could Do Anything If I Knew What It Was" and "Refuse To Choose".

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm trying to refrain from reading and listening to the news ... it's not only depressing, but half the stuff that's really going on isn't even being reported (it's very focused on particular things).

Today is day 1 and was going well until I just heard the headlines in a TV break (seems I'm not missing anything!).

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm trying to refrain from reading and listening to the news ... it's not only depressing, but half the stuff that's really going on isn't even being reported (it's very focused on particular things).

Today is day 1 and was going well until I just heard the headlines in a TV break (seems I'm not missing anything!).
Good one! It's true, after all, 4 companies determine the whole news cycle. I bet all the really important information will reach you anyway. And there's so much to "panic" about everyday, but in reality it doesn't matter anyway. It's all outside our circle of influence anyway.

I've stopped all social media recently, deleted Facebook & Reddit, uninstalled the Insta App so I only use it in the browser ( it's never been as addicting to me as the rest, and I only follow cute dogs). My mental health is so much improved already!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Working towards this mindset. Might be viewed as “low-brow” and I know positive thinking out of context gets a bad rep, especially by people not ready for that, but I’ve learnt so much this past year that I used to scoff at and dismiss with “oh, but I’m too x/y/z” or “you don’t understand what I’m dealing with” etc. I aim to be more open-minded and present now. What I was using didn’t work for me, there’s a tendency to overcomplicate stuff, so now I’m trying to get back to the basics. Like I said, a year ago I would’ve scoffed at this kind of talk but having done a lot of reading from various reputable sources, this is a common theme, just so happens to be summed up by a bit of a douche 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My first addition to the thread 😋

While looking into adult ballet classes for beginners, I found this lovely channel on youtube. She has classes for absolute beginners where she goes over all the basics and slowly builds things up. Which is perfect if you've never done ballet before, and want to try it out from the comfort of your own home.

Here's her channel:

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think the idea of slow living is very interesting! Maybe someone already posted about slow living in this thread but I found Rhea Y’s (https://youtube.com/c/rheaybanez) video to be quite relaxing. Basically changes my whole perspective of how I view the world and myself. We are faced with constant changes and improvements, and living in a hustle culture doesn’t help. I guess the whole point of living slowly is to help us be more mindful of the present moment, which is somehow a form of meditation in itself. There are heaps of interesting vlogs about slow living on YouTube, but I found hers to be the most relatable. She is also down to earth and also mindful not only of herself but also her family, her finances, health, etc…

Reactions: 7
Might've been me upthread posting about slow living! I found it very calming early in the pandemic when things like travel and dining out were off limits, and Japanese Youtubers in particular always bring that beautiful meditative quality to their daily routines. I worked from home and had insane deadlines, but on weekends I'd put on some videos to have 'company' while cleaning and cooking. That said, my favourite video of Rhea's is an old one where she's just out having ramen and some window shopping after work on a Friday night - I used to do the same thing :)

Reactions: 4
I’d like to share my share my experience as someone who encountered Anna’s videos while looking for advice on self improvement. Initially she seemed as someone on the periphery of the world she was talking about, someone who knew things, but didn’t seem to actually live the life. I thought it would be excruciating embarrassing for a billionaire or even a millionaire to have a wife peddling such courses for money. A down on her luck divorced partner resorting to something like this is one thing, but for someone claiming to be living the life it seemed highly unlikely. But I couldn’t tell for sure, because there were so many things she managed to get right, even though it was little more than common sense packaged quite well. As someone young and impressionable with a small budget at the start of their career, her clothing advice initially was quite helpful, for finding better quality options among fast fashion brands (as someone who couldn’t afford the nicer and expensive labels older family members prefer). She seemed to have the credentials, attended IVP, stylist course, a few hits amongs the videos, the fan base and a curated Instagram feed, but on the other hand the very questionable content and inconsistencies. Until I discovered tattle, I was in the fence about her course, but thank God I never invested any money in her courses. I can’t thank everyone here enough! The methods she suggested to meet “high value men” seemed incredibly sketchy, and something no woman of good sense and a respectable background would resort to. I feel terrible that some young woman from an unprivileged background may take her sketchy advice as gospel and end up in a dangerous situation. It’s not as if there aren’t predators amongst the wealthy, or even people posing as them to scam the gullible. I’ll share some of the resources that helped me. For videos on deportment and etiquette: Jamila Musayeva, Glamour daze, Audrey Coyne, Heidi Dulebohn, Mykaa Meier and Sophia Li (several have well established credentials and share a lot of good quality free content). Books on etiquette and lifestyle: All by Jennifer L Scott, Etiquette by Emily Post( the best book on the subject), Tim Gunn’s - Fashion Bible, Guide to style, skincare bible Dr. Anjali Maggi, Charlotte Cho - Little Book of skincare, Kimberly Snyder: the Beuty detox solution and Radical Beauty(coauthored with Deepak Chopra), Elegance by Genevieve dariaux and Modern Etiquette by Mykaa Meier. I’ll add more in a later post.

Your suggestions are my comfort zone haha. I lived through ROH's streams during lockdownz it was a right treat. I'd have never caught Woolf Works live if it weren't for the streams. It was fantastic.

I love Nami! I'll also suggest Otena Vlog, Bea Abella, Lou C. and Sueddu if you enjoy that type of simple life content.

Your nickname reminds me of Yuri On Ice and pushing me for a rewatch, ngl.
Sueddu and Otena Vlog are great! They actually inspired to set the table nicely and present food well. They have this way of making everyday chores so elegant and mindful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
This is a fantastic project to set your mind to: a touch typing course! It's free, though there are some premium features. I am going to aim for 30 minutes every day for the next month. It's fun and satisfying to do.

Reactions: 6
This is a fantastic project to set your mind to: a touch typing course! It's free, though there are some premium features. I am going to aim for 30 minutes every day for the next month. It's fun and satisfying to do.

Once you feel confident this is a good site to race against other randoms online to practice

• Heart
Reactions: 4