Secret Celebrity Gossip #160

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
SATC is awful, I tried to dip in a few times when I was younger but I've never understood the fuss

I haven't seen BG since the 1st film, that wasn't that great either

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Have you read her most recent one? It’s a sequel for Anna. Is there anybody out there is a book that still makes me cry any time I read it. I read the sequel a couple of weeks ago and….. it ain’t it.
narky bleeping Joey!
Yes! Is there anybody out there is so well written, the new one … not so much.

Reactions: 5
I watched the first BJ film and thought it might have worked as a sitcom rather than a feature film. It's all the same boring formula as used in the days of Jane Austen - woman has some mild adventures and makes some funny observations, but ultimately gets her validation from a man in some way. In the original vesions that was via marriage. In later versions it's through boyfriends. In the likes of Fleabag, it's through sex.

Reactions: 7
Apparently, the upcoming Bridget Jones film has Leo Woodall and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Bridget’s love interests, with Hugh Grant lurking in the background, but Colin Firth is not in the picture
Mark Darcy is dead

Now this is probably OT, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why they would do that? They replaced Hugh Grant with Patrick Dempsey for the third one, and fair play to them, the third film was actually better than the second one, but nobody wants the fourth without Mark Darcy. It’s so unnecessary :(

It’s like GoT and SATC all over again - and just like that, let’s kill the franchise and piss on the original.
I just watched all three recently, I enjoyed the first, second was utter rubbish and I thought the third was just awful however it at least had a semi decent ending that tied things up. When I read about this new one (apologies, I'd said third one but I meant the upcoming fourth one) I thought it sounded like a film that you would cringe whilst watching it, I think it will struggle without one of the main characters and they should have just left it as it ended on film three.

Last edited:
I just watched all three recently, I enjoyed the first, second was utter rubbish and I thought the third was just awful however it at least had a semi decent ending that tied things up. When I read about this third one I thought it sounded like a film that you would cringe whilst watching it, I think it will struggle without one of the main characters and they should have just left it as it ended on film three.
Bridget living happily ever after with Mark. That should have been it. I'm sure the vast majority of people who have seen the films have not read the book so they will all be asking where's Mark and then being pissed off to discover he's dead.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Bridget living happily ever after with Mark. That should have been it. I'm sure the vast majority of people who have seen the films have not read the book so they will all be asking where's Mark and then being pissed off to discover he's dead.
Exactly. I hadn't read the books but had seen the first and second films years ago but not the third so I watched them in order. I definitely think it should just stay ended after the third one, I can't see it being popular without Mr Darcy.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Have you read her most recent one? It’s a sequel for Anna. Is there anybody out there is a book that still makes me cry any time I read it. I read the sequel a couple of weeks ago and….. it ain’t it.
narky bleeping Joey!
Loved the sequel cos I can’t help loving almost everything she writes but yeah…where did that come from? Wasn’t believable at all. I think she needs to stop with sequels, the kids are getting old enough for their own books if she wants to keep the family going.

There’s also about 4 or 5 alternative timelines, one of where the baby is Daniel’s. It’s like the MCU, but for middle class white women who shop at Joules and Boden and piss about painting antique furniture with Annie Sloane while the kids are with the nanny.
Sorry but I can’t stop laughing to myself about this. The Bridget Jones extended universe.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I love the first Bridget Jones book. I first read it in my late teens and it was such a revelation that other women feel the same insecurities. (It still blows my mind that the current generation actively seek bigger bums).

I had the film sound track on cd, happy days 🤘.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I sent this to a SATC-loving friend and she went in a major huff with me - this is just *chef's kiss* Burkas and Birkins - The Stranger (review of the second Sex & The City movie).

(I've quoted it on this thread numerous times, so, sorry if it pisses anyone off - for repeating it, I mean. Not for offending SATC fans, don't care about that).
The Mark Kermode review (rant) about the Sex and the City 2 movie will never be forgotten by me. One of his best.

Reactions: 16
I loved the first two Bridget Jones books, re-read them quite a bit as "palate cleansers" and my dog-eared copies will always have a place on my bookshelf (I am an absolute sucker for fictional diaries. Actually, non-fictional ones too!).

I just couldnt get behind the casting of Renee Zellweger as her in the films. Why not a British actress? (Yeah, I know box office, money and all that). I think I've only seen the first film which is alright, I'll watch it if there's nothing else on. I read the third book but didn't really like it.

Does anyone else see similarities between Miranda and Bridget Jones? Especially the mothers!

Reactions: 10
Reactions: 9
I read the first BJ book when it came out and thought it was pish. At the time I would have been single-ish, 20s, Marlboro smoking, Chardonnay drinking all the usual. I read it again after seeing the film and liked it better second go around.

They should have left it there.

Reactions: 3
The thing with SATC was it was pretty revolutionary at the time. A show not just about women (with men very much secondary characters), but women enjoying sex lives just like men, showing what women want, successful careers, what they like etc.

It was also pretty advanced in having gay representation (although now it seems quite stereotypical)

Reactions: 31
Anyone seen the video of the bloke nibbling the child’s ear behind Stephen Hendry on live tv?!:sick:

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Loved the sequel cos I can’t help loving almost everything she writes but yeah…where did that come from? Wasn’t believable at all. I think she needs to stop with sequels, the kids are getting old enough for their own books if she wants to keep the family going.
I did enjoy it, but I didn’t think it was anywhere near as good as the first one. I can imagine though how difficult it is to develop new characters, when she’s got a ready made set of fairly well developed ones at hand.
the Helen one was always going to be a tricky one, because there’s no obvious plot for her, though I’d have quite liked her to be free and single rather than coupled up like the rest of them! I’m not sure who I’d want to see next, but I’d be surprised if another one didn’t include the death of one of their parents.

Reactions: 3
I read the first BJ book when it came out and thought it was pish. At the time I would have been single-ish, 20s, Marlboro smoking, Chardonnay drinking all the usual. I read it again after seeing the film and liked it better second go around.

They should have left it there.
I read that as blow job....my dirty mind!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.