Secret Celebrity Gossip #160

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
CDAN posts any old shite, and has done for many many years. They have, once or twice, posted stuff that was obviously true.
They also don't post stuff about certain people. It really is a bollocks site.

Reactions: 5
I hated Bridget Jones from the get-go. Really badly written, full of cliches and just dull as tit.
I put it in the same category as Sex In The City - condescending, reductive cultural junk food which some people mistake as a 'How To Be A Woman' user manual.

I mean, I like kitsch old nonsense with the best of them, but Bridget Jones' Diary was a load of crap and I found it quite patronising and shallow. Even more disappointing that it was a woman who wrote it. If a man authored those books it he'd have been (rightly) savaged, I suspect.

JoJo Moyes' books are similarly also toilet paper bilge that talks down to women (Me Before You is one of the worst movies I think I've ever seen). Leave your brain at the door before you watch it.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I put it in the same category as Sex In The City - condescending, reductive cultural junk food which some people mistake as a 'How To Be A Woman' user manual

I mean, I like kitsch old nonsense with the best of them, but Bridget Jones' Diary was a load of crap and I found it quite patronising and shallow. Even more disappointing that it was a woman who wrote it. If a man authored those books it he'd have been (rightly) savaged, I suspect.

JoJo Moyes' books are similarly toilet paper (Me Before You is one of the worst movies I think I've ever seen).

I think we might be long lost twins!

SATC is the WORST pile of horseshit that has ever been commissioned. Reductive drivel where it's all about 'independent wimmin innit' and they all end up (mainly) in storylines focusing on MEN. SJP was lauded as some sort of fashion icon - she looked like a 9 year old playing dress up.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
I think we might be long lost twins!

SATC is the WORST pile of horseshit that has ever been commissioned. Reductive drivel where it's all about 'independent wimmin innit' and they all end up (mainly) in storylines focusing on MEN. SJP was lauded as some sort of fashion icon - she looked like a 9 year old playing dress up.
I sent this to a SATC-loving friend and she went in a major huff with me - this is just *chef's kiss* Burkas and Birkins - The Stranger (review of the second Sex & The City movie).

(I've quoted it on this thread numerous times, so, sorry if it pisses anyone off - for repeating it, I mean. Not for offending SATC fans, don't care about that).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I hated Bridget Jones from the get-go. Really badly written, full of cliches and just dull as tit.
The best thing about the book was the novel diary element, and the listing of fags smoked, weight, glasses of wine drank etc etc.
She was irritating, Renee Z playing her was even more irritating, nobody was likeable really and were very immature and uselss for 30 somethings (apart from dull Darcy).

Satc - how Carrie can ever be a likeable character by anyone, she was a selfish, spoilt tw@t and i hated her dress sense (there were some good styles)

Reactions: 24
The best thing about the book was the novel diary element, and the listing of fags smoked, weight, glasses of wine drank etc etc.
She was irritating, Renee Z playing her was even more irritating, nobody was likeable really and were very immature and uselss for 30 somethings (apart from dull Darcy).

Satc - how Carrie can ever be a likeable character by anyone, she was a selfish, spoilt tw@t and i hated her dress sense (there were some good styles)
God I detest Carrie and how she thinks she's stunning. Such a parody of a woman, 'can't afford a meal but that's fine because I have shoes!'

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I think SATC is somewhat problematic now- but at the time time I loved it, the glamour of it all- having said that though I don't think ANYONE rates the 2nd movie it was utter tripe and pretty offensive to Arabs come to that! (Lawrence of my Labia, anyone?) 😬😬😬

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I think SATC is somewhat problematic now- but at the time time I loved it, the glamour of it all- having said that though I don't think ANYONE rates the 2nd movie it was utter tripe and pretty offensive to Arabs come to that! (Lawrence of my Labia, anyone?) 😬😬😬
I loved the series but never Carrie and it was getting more ridiculous.
2nd movie was unbelievably bad

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I liked SATC at the time because I was a dumb 20 year old who enjoyed the clothes and the glamour of New York. If I’m ever channel flicking and come across it now I cannot bear 30 seconds of it. Carrie was the most self- absorbed shallow hole- what kind of fuckwit spends all her money on shoes and might lose her apartment?! Charlotte was naive and child-like, Miranda was a dull corporate woman and Samantha was a bawdy nympho. At the time we saw those character as ‘strong’ and ‘ballsy’ but they weren’t, they were men obsessed and empty.

Don’t even get me started on the 2nd movie. Worst film I’ve ever seen. And the follow up series!! Haha! Couldn’t even hate-watch it. SJP seems to love it and is the catalyst for it continuing. Give it up, love.

Reactions: 21
Same! She totally changed the character of Helen to something unrecognisable! I would have rather had no book about her than that one.
I‘m so glad you said this, because I felt the same, Helen had always been my favourite side character in the other books, she was so funny, unique and interesting. I tried to rationalise how different her character was in her own book by thinking it shows how depression can really affect people, and they might still seem themselves on the outside.

But she deserves another story of her own, where she’s more like how she was originally written too.

For Bridget Jones, I think the films need Colin Firth, because he’s so good at playing “the straight man”.
Everyone else in the film is bonkers and he’s just there with his very serious face. It just makes all the other characters even funnier to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I think the Bridget Jones books were very much of their time and have aged quite badly. I'm not sure they'll be literary classics. The same with the films. I won't be bothering with this next one. Anyway, all I see when I see Hugh Grant these days is an Oompa Loompa.
And sadly, because I thought he was gorgeous in his Pride and Prejudice days, Colin Firth has morphed into my dad, which is just plain wrong.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Well I thought Bridget Jones's Diary was a great film - I really enjoyed it.

I liked SATC too (the TV series - never saw the films).

How long do I need to spend on the naughty step ?

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Well I thought Bridget Jones's Diary was a great film - I really enjoyed it.

I liked SATC too (the TV series - never saw the films).

How long do I need to spend on the naughty step ?
I loved BJ when the books and films first came out. I think they should have left it alone after film No2 though. I just think they were of their time and should be left there.

I never liked SATC. Didn't watch it. Never will.

Reactions: 10
I loved BJ when the books and films first came out. I think they should have left it alone after film No2 though. I just think they were of their time and should be left there.

I never liked SATC. Didn't watch it. Never will.
I've never watched SATC.
I read the BJ books, went to see both films, read the third book, watched the third film and was totally confused because Colin Firth wasn't dead and their was no rockstar lover. I enjoyed the first two books but I think Helen Fielding sold her soul to the devil writing two completely separate sequels for the third. Yeah, I know it's fiction but FFS. :D

Reactions: 8
Does anyone have any tea on Richard Gadd whom Baby Reindeer is supposed to be about? I’ve seen some interesting comments online and wondered if there was any truth in it.

Reactions: 4
Does anyone have any tea on Richard Gadd whom Baby Reindeer is supposed to be about? I’ve seen some interesting comments online and wondered if there was any truth in it.
I haven't seen it, but there's a thread on here which I started reading that was bat tit crazy. He's mentioned a few times

Hope that helps

Reactions: 8
I never watched the third because I had no interest in a film where Bridget and Mark hadn’t kept their happy ending!

re Walsh sisters, I love all the books and I love Marian but right from the start she’s always struggled to keep the same personality in each sister’s book as what she has given them previously. They always have the same voice and vibe, you could put chapters from one sister’s book into another and not know.
I love Anna’s book, for instance, but she doesn’t feel like the Anna we knew from earlier books.
Have you read her most recent one? It’s a sequel for Anna. Is there anybody out there is a book that still makes me cry any time I read it. I read the sequel a couple of weeks ago and….. it ain’t it.
narky bleeping Joey!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I've always despised SATC even as a teenager when my best friend was obsessed. I did enjoy the Bridget Jones books when I read them back in the early 2000s. I never watched the films and have no intention of doing so.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.