Secret Celebrity Gossip #116

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not aimed at anyone specific here, but a lot of the time people who say they don't like pronouns just mean they don't like trans people, but don't quite dare say that.

I think I'm in a minority on this forum in being okay with trans people.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
One of my daughter’s best friends is trans and I get her pronouns wrong sometimes (I didn’t there though). They were he, then she, then back to he and now she again. The going back to he wasn’t attention seeking but because her parents completely rejected her when she came out and forbade her to be a her.

She was always welcome in our home and could be herself/himself/themself at all times. The important thing to me is that she’s a good friend to my kid.

Saying all that I get it wrong from time to time. I had a conversation with her saying it was my old lady brain (I get my own kids’ names muddled) and no reflection on how I feel about her. She completely gets it and is not arsey when I slip up.

I’m not claiming to be right on or with it but I bleeping cannot understand parents who reject their own kids for this kind of thing and there’ll be none of that shite in my house!

• Heart
Reactions: 84
Not aimed at anyone specific here, but a lot of the time people who say they don't like pronouns just mean they don't like trans people, but don't quite dare say that.

My dislike of pronouns is nothing to do with trans. My dislike is not the he or she pronouns - it’s the they/them and all the other ones.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
My dislike of pronouns is nothing to do with trans. My dislike is not the he or she pronouns - it’s the they/them and all the other ones.
I’m not saying I’m a fan myself but it makes no difference to my day what someone wants to use. If it was someone you genuinely cared for you’d make the effort if it hurt them if you didn’t.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

I'm perfectly fine with using he/her/she/him/they etc. and with trans folks - there are quite a lot in my city. That said, I feel like the likes of Demi Lovato who flip it on and off like a switch must make it very difficult to be taken seriously.

Reactions: 28
I'm perfectly fine with using he/her/she/him/they etc. and with trans folks - there are quite a lot in my city. That said, I feel like the likes of Demi Lovato who flip it on and off like a switch must make it very difficult to be taken seriously.
I don’t know but I imagine it’s people like Demi who make it hard for everyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
it makes no difference to my day what someone wants to use.
Well exactly. The main issue I have is the "I know very fine which pronouns someone uses but I'm going to ignore them just to be a dick or just because I don't like them", as seen primarily with people like Sam Smith, to keep this vaguely on the topic of celebrities.

Gender fluidity is a thing, but yes, it does make things harder. Most people in real life don't actually care as long as you make an effort, and also the extreme examples you see on, eg, tumblr are very unlikely to be representative of, well, anything in reality.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
If someone tells me their pronouns I will use them, but mostly will tend to avoid using anything other than their name or you.

I have been to several online meetings when someone has introduced themselves as a they and them. Nobody else felt the need to announce their pronouns. In one meeting the “they” person reminded the meeting of their pronouns again mid-meeting. Nobody knew why. Or when they had been misgendered or by whom. The meeting took on an odd atmosphere- what we were there to discuss what thrown off course by wondering if you were the one who had misgendered them, and how much trouble you were in. Nothing came of, none the wiser why they inserted in a reminder mid meeting. It just interrupted the flow of the meeting and the attention was on all on them.

We live in an age of vanity where we all think we are special. It’s not enough to think you are special yourself - people want external validation that they are, they want to compel people how to think about them. Pronouns falls into that attention seeking behaviour. It’s inward focusing, all about them. I will use their pronouns to be polite, but would avoid communicating with them where possible, so in that sense they are a barrier to communication. It’s a complex area, and who needs the hassle of getting involved in it. Easier to opt out and avoid as much as possible.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
If someone requests you use their preferred pronouns, it's not exactly a massive job to just... do it. 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
Di
I know what you mean. And he is ludicrous. But…but…his body looks, y’know, pretty great. All strong legs and big shoulders.
But it’s Tom Cruise so that definitely negates the strong shoulders and legs and just the right amount of muscle on his arms…

Look. I said I’d shag Rupert Murdoch for about 1% of the amount everyone else said they’d demand. I think it’s too late to pretend to have any dignity.
Fun fact:
Tom Cruise is the same age as Wilfred Bramble was when starring as Albert Steptoe in Steptoe and Son...

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
Di

Fun fact:
Tom Cruise is the same age as Wilfred Bramble was when starring as Albert Steptoe in Steptoe and Son...
"You dirty old man!"

Although I knew that Bramble was (relatively) young in Steptoe. Got nothing on how young Clive Dunn was when playing Jones in Dad's Army though. I think only Ian Lavender (Pike) and Jim Beck (Walker) were younger than him IRL.

Reactions: 16
It's like when I found out George Wendt was only 36 when he started playing Norm in Cheers. I always thought of him as being ancient! 🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Not a warning but let's ALL move on now, this topic is derailing the thread - Please read our rules and why they're important
I have no issue with personal pronouns, it’s just the same as someone saying what their name is and then someone not caring enough to get it correct.

The issue I have when someone makes a genuine error and people get aggressive about it.Of course, I also know that some bigots will deliberately use the wrong gender or pronoun just to be deliberately offensive.

Whatever happened to live and let live?

Di

Fun fact:
Off topic but Wilfred B celebrated his 52nd birthday during the filming of A Hard Day's Night, in which he played Paul McCartney's grandfather. (Oh, and don't forget he was already a celeb as the B&W version Steptoe & Son was an established TV hit. So Tom has a decade on that iteration of Steptoe Snr...)

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.