Secret Celebrity Gossip #106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s one of those rumour posts so who knows. But seems within the realms of possibility.

Reactions: 4
It’s one of those rumour posts so who knows. But seems within the realms of possibility.
i always take deux moi with a solid spoonful of salt tbh. they lucked out with the armie hammer stuff but have they genuinely broken a big story since then?!

beyoncé and jay-z have that weird thing with the number four though so i do think it’s only a matter of time before they have a fourth child, but she’s about to go on a huge tour so maybe not now.

Reactions: 9
I take all of the anonymous celeb pages with a massive pinch of salt.

Especially the inane blind items. For every 1 story they get half right, there are about 25 that are never proven or turn out to be absolute rubbish.

Reactions: 6
Hayden Panettiere’s brother has died. He was only 28, poor thing. That’s no age.
---

Fanny and Dick became Frannie and Rick I think? But they also changed the books mostly back to the original text I thought a few years ago because the update wasn’t successful?
---

I think they should keep the original text in and then maybe have a discussion at school about how language has changed, how things have different meanings etc. That would be a really interesting and educational lesson to have.
I think the bigger issue with Roald Dahl is his antisemitism. I mean he came out with crap like this: “There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it’s a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews. I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason. I mean, if you and I were in a line moving towards what we knew were gas chambers, I’d rather have a go at taking one of the guards with me; but they [the Jews] were always submissive.”
Not saying it shouldn’t be taught but again, have lessons and debates about if you can remove the art from the artist, etc. Instead of running and censoring everything that is potentially offensive they could use education as a tool to make people become more understanding and empathic.
I absolutely agree with that...we shouldn't erase history, we should discuss it and learn from it - surely that's the whole point of looking back on the past. Why are people so hyper-sensitive these days and lacking common sense?

Lord knows where Roald Dahl's views were coming from but he was a different generation and is no longer with us, anyway. Again, we should analyse it neutrally and be thankful the world has moved on since then. It's that whole art vs artist paradox. I don't agree with cancelling everything that isn't in your echo chamber, though, that's over-reacting. I wouldn't condone anything really atrocious - no sane person can defend the Holocaust.

Saying get rid of it, edit it or pretend it didn't happen, is actually a form of isolating yourself from reality and seems regressive somehow.

Funny about Aunt Fanny and Dick, I definitely didn't see any double entendres as a child reading Enid Blyton (Famous Five). It was only when The Comic Strip took the piss out of all the names that I "got" it (and I was on the brink of puberty by then).

Reactions: 16
I think they should keep the original text in and then maybe have a discussion at school about how language has changed, how things have different meanings etc. That would be a really interesting and educational lesson to have.
I think the bigger issue with Roald Dahl is his antisemitism. I mean he came out with crap like this: “There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it’s a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews. I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason. I mean, if you and I were in a line moving towards what we knew were gas chambers, I’d rather have a go at taking one of the guards with me; but they [the Jews] were always submissive.”
Not saying it shouldn’t be taught but again, have lessons and debates about if you can remove the art from the artist, etc. Instead of running and censoring everything that is potentially offensive they could use education as a tool to make people become more understanding and empathic.
I was listening to a debate about this recently and the person was talking about listening to Gary Glitter's music.

• Wow
  • Sick
I take all of the anonymous celeb pages with a massive pinch of salt.

Especially the inane blind items. For every 1 story they get half right, there are about 25 that are never proven or turn out to be absolute rubbish.
Some of the sites, especially CDAN, have been really leaning into conspiracy theory for the last few years as well.

Reactions: 2
The book is a thinly-veiled parable for the Holocaust.

A mysterious building, with smoke coming out of several large chimneys, that nobody ever goes into and nobody ever goes out of.

The manic owner invites several people in and physically punishes them because of their undesirable physical traits. He is left with the heir to his kingdom - the blue eyed blonde white boy.

Another reason why it should be made to fade away.
Sorry but that's a stretch and a half. It's a factory in the north of England - they all smoke. People don't go in because it was closed after industrial sabotage and I'm fairly sure millions of people went *in* to concentration camps. They don't have undesirable physical traits (apart from Gloop, if you're fatist), they have horrible personalities and break the rules - and none of them get gassed and burnt, just amusingly punished and improved!! And I'm nearly 100% positive Charlie is never described physically, only on his virtues of being a nice kid. The first film actor is blonde and blue eyed but that's not based on any description Dahl gives, probably deliberately as his agent made him make the character not black like he wanted originally. I'm pretty sure he's not actually described in terms of hair or eye colour at all in the book, just that he's a skinny little shrimp.

I mean, I know Dahl had some disgusting anti-semitic views but that doesn't mean Willy Wonka was frickin' Hitler!!!

Reactions: 49
I was listening to a debate about this recently and the person was talking about listening to Gary Glitter's music.
I once replied to someone on a different site by quoting Lostprophets lyrics at them because they got on about liking some Roman Polanski films, but I can't imagine actually listening to the song now.

I did also acknowledge in a spoiler that I was being intentionally edgy.

Enid Blyton has been altered already. In the original Noddy books the “naughty “ characters were golliwogs, then they were changed into goblins. The Famous Five characters names were change , one was called Fanny originally, but was changed (can’t remember the new name).
True story - my friend’s mum is called Fanny, she (my friend) was called in to nursery because her daughter kept referring to her” Granny Fanny”and they were concerned it was a safeguarding issue! 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 47
True story - my friend’s mum is called Fanny, she (my friend) was called in to nursery because her daughter kept referring to her” Granny Fanny”and they were concerned it was a safeguarding issue! 🙄
I‘m sure you and your friend will have seen this Irn Bru ad…

• Haha
Reactions: 17
There’s another Greggs sausage video circulating. Seems he was trying to thumb it in before being seen and moving further up the alley. No pun intended.

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
The first film actor is blonde and blue eyed but that's not based on any description Dahl gives, probably deliberately as his agent made him make the character not black like he wanted originally. I'm pretty sure he's not actually described in terms of hair or eye colour at all in the book, just that he's a skinny little shrimp.

I mean, I know Dahl had some disgusting anti-semitic views but that doesn't mean Willy Wonka was frickin' Hitler!!!
Bolded section - I've adored Roald Dahl and every one of his books since childhood, like most bookworms, and I had no clue about this! Learn something new everyday!

Can't be doing with these 'and they were all on druuuuggssss ooooooh~' or 'and they were all deaaad ooooh~' theories. There are plenty of real allegories, certainly, and much of children's literature started in this vein, but most of the theories floating about the web are codswallop by bored adults, some of whom seem to have smoked too many spliffs and are seeing connections that are just not there!

1676927025638.png

Reactions: 8
There’s another Greggs sausage video circulating. Seems he was trying to thumb it in before being seen and moving further up the alley. No pun intended.
Good grief, how long were they in the alley for? I wonder if she knew people were coming and going filming since her head was between her knees or if he just told her people could see so she didn’t turn and run

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Bolded section - I've adored Roald Dahl and every one of his books since childhood, like most bookworms, and I had no clue about this! Learn something new everyday!

Can't be doing with these 'and they were all on druuuuggssss ooooooh~' or 'and they were all deaaad ooooh~' theories. There are plenty of real allegories, certainly, and much of children's literature started in this vein, but most of the theories floating about the web are codswallop by bored adults, some of whom seem to have smoked too many spliffs and are seeing connections that are just not there!

ROALD DAHL was a British Spy, so all sorts of cryptic meanings and allegories in his books. This is a very long and fascinating subject, probably needs its own thread.

Reactions: 7
For feck sake - is this one video that's been released in three separate bits??? Or did dumb and dumber get caught three times!!!

Surely after incident no 2, they would have called it a day.

Either way his wife is well shot of him.

Wonder if the yoga practitioner's husband has been understanding. Or is she sofa surfing with her life in black bin bags???

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.