Secret Celeb Gossip #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Weak tea but Ross Kemp and Rebekah had a house near me growing up - never saw much of her (guess they were both staying and living in London a lot) but met him in a local Chinese takeaway. He was very sweet and happily signed autographs (this was years ago before everyone had a camera phone! so no photos).

Me and my mates were giggling schoolgirls and I guess its noteworthy that he didn't try it on with any of us...!
I wonder if you lived near me as they had a house where I’m from too

Reactions: 1
It's a great song the woke generation are idiots 😿
As someone explained up thread, it’s a word that thirty years later has a meaning which is used to abuse a certain community. It’s not about wokeness. It’s about respect. Shane McGowan and the band absolutely agree so they must be idiots too.

Reactions: 25
Hmm. There's no eye roll reaction.

Kirsty herself didn't sing the F word on top of the pops, she changed it to "you're cheap and you're haggard". So she clearly wouldn't be too upset about it... the band themselves are most certainly not on the side of the likes of the delightful Lawrence Fox who is among those who pops an artery over something that doesn't affect them.

I assume you're not gay or bi/pan so you've never had six people scream that lyric in your face and laugh so...to anyone who gets bizarrely angry about the prospect of changing or sensoring it: Turn the crank that winds your neck back in.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Hmm. There's no eye roll reaction.

Kirsty herself didn't sing the F word on top of the pops, she changed it to "you're cheap and you're haggard". So she clearly wouldn't be too upset about it... the band themselves are most certainly not on the side of the likes of the delightful Lawrence Fox who is among those who pops an artery over something that doesn't affect them.

I assume you're not gay or bi/pan so you've never had six people scream that lyric in your face and laugh so...to anyone who gets bizarrely angry about the prospect of changing or sensoring it: Turn the crank that winds your neck back in.
I hope that is a small minority of people who would think it funny to use the song in that manner. I’ve never known anyone to do so and I would hope to never be in the company of anyone who would do that.

Edited to add I am not angry irrationally or otherwise I just love the song and have never used the lyrics in a sinister way to insult any man or woman so I am clearly naive to the suffering it causes to others.

Reactions: 10
Not sure about Kim, but I served Aggie on a flight once. She sat in economy and looked really miserable the whole time. She wasn’t very pleasant.
I too look miserable in economy. I bleeping hate it.
I imagine I’d be much, much happier in first if they just gave me a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
I love Fairy tale of New York and kind of rolled my eyes about the change in words.

But the fact is, we're 30yrs down the line and the word is no longer acceptable so it needs to go.

I do think it's a wee bit sad because Kirsty isn't here to record it, but I'm pretty sure it's the sort of thing she would have agreed with.

However - why is it still acceptable to call a woman a slut?
Most radio stations blank out the word "Slut" as well now.

Reactions: 2
Most radio stations blank out the word "Slut" as well now.
A lot of songs nowadays have so much swearing in they sound ridiculous on the radio. I don’t know why they bother playing WAP because it’s just all blanks!

Reactions: 7
A lot of songs nowadays have so much swearing in they sound ridiculous on the radio. I don’t know why they bother playing WAP because it’s just all blanks!
I just read you post and thought "you know I still haven't heard that song - I wonder what WAP stands for?".
Well, I wonder no more.
Pure songwriting genius right there.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I know the faggot word has another meaning now, but I had an elderly relative in the south of Ireland who called me a "wee faggot" when I visited as a child. I'm really hoping it was a term of endearment at one point 😕

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Well faggot is a type of meat based food I think. So maybe they meant that? My granny used to call me a wee haggis which I also think was meant to be a term of endearment....

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The Wetherspoons here in my bit of Wales sells faggots and gravy - bloody delicious. Faggots are meat balls and best served with buttery mash and mushy peas.

I met Shane McGowan once at the Cambridge Folk Festival. Here's some tea for you: He was sober!! :eek:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
The Wetherspoons here in my bit of Wales sells faggots and gravy - bloody delicious. Faggots are meat balls and best served with buttery mash and mushy peas.

I met Shane McGowan once at the Cambridge Folk Festival. Here's some tea for you: He was sober!! :eek:
I don’t believe you, your making it up 🤨

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Well faggot is a type of meat based food I think. So maybe they meant that? My granny used to call me a wee haggis which I also think was meant to be a term of endearment....
We used to have Mr Brains fagotts, mash and peas on a Friday night as kids, good times.

Reactions: 8
Yes thems the ones! I mean Mr Brains I was fine with till my brother told me they were real bits of brain.... head.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
Meatballs, mostly made with liver¹ based on the recipe I've seen. It also means a bundle of sticks, which apparently is where the meaning of "gay" came from, very indirectly (I can't remember exactly why now). In Ireland it meant "lazy" at one point, iirc, and thats how the Pogues lyric was intended (I think Shane McGowan has talked about that).

¹Not quite real brains, but close enough for some people lol

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.