School memories from the 80’s/90’s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A bit random but I remembered today that at primary school I wore a belt that had a little zip pocket for money. This was only at that school, I moved a few times and it wasn’t part of the uniform anywhere else. Did anyone else have one of these as part of their uniform?

View attachment 278667
and nurses used to have thees too!!! I loved them!

Reactions: 2
I remember we had to sing this in a school show everyone swaying
OMG we had to learn this in our music lesson! 😄

A bit random but I remembered today that at primary school I wore a belt that had a little zip pocket for money. This was only at that school, I moved a few times and it wasn’t part of the uniform anywhere else. Did anyone else have one of these as part of their uniform?

View attachment 278667
It wasn’t part of a uniform (we didn’t have uniform at junior school) but you could purchase them from school and I think the profits went into the school funds.
I never had one, though.

• Haha
We must be of a similar age. As a child, for a while I thought Bod was a girl because I thought he was wearing a dress!:oops:

I used to like Mary, Mungo and Midge.

Does anyone remember the school drinking water fountains in the 1970’s?
At our junior school, they were located in the toilets by the wash basins and one outside. :sick: How unhygienic were they?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
We must be of a similar age. As a child, for a while I thought Bod was a girl because I thought he was wearing a dress!:oops:

At our junior school, they were located in the toilets by the wash basins and one outside. :sick: How unhygienic were they?
Maybe he was non binery but we'd never heard of that back then 😂 I don't remember the other two our school must have been too poor for drinking fountains:cry:

Brian and Floella two icons of my childhood she’s now a member of the House of Lords and still looks amazing

Last edited:
Reactions: 3

The water fountains were still in situ through the 80's. Ours were located in exactly the same positions as yours. Maybe it was a theme in 50's built schools?

Reactions: 5
The water fountains were still in situ through the 80's. Ours were located in exactly the same positions as yours. Maybe it was a theme in 50's built schools?
Yes it was built in 1950!
You’d have to queue up to use them and I’d always try to not put my mouth to it and catch the flow instead but if the water pressure was low then you’d have no choice but to put your lips on the metal cup part.🤮 Best avoided if the smelly kid was in the queue!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
This was early 90's. The TV on wheels i think it was itv schools with the clock that counted down to the programme and everyone would hum to the tune. Also watching through the dragons eye
We had one computer in the classroom and the printer was so loud, would take all day to print something off.

Reactions: 3
I assume blackboards and chalk are now just history though whiteboards and marker pens are still around.

I remember you used to have to wait a few weeks after school photos were taken for them to be developed and then pick up the printed hard copies from school. Nowadays, I assume they're just taken then emailed.
We get a couple of small photos attached to an order form and then if you order, hard copies are still sent home. Some things don’t change 😄

I remember Bod!!

Maybe he was non binery but we'd never heard of that back then 😂 I don't remember the other two our school must have been too poor for drinking fountains:cry:

Brian and Floella two icons of my childhood she’s now a member of the House of Lords and still looks amazing
We are definitely around the same age - Brian and Floella are my childhood too 😂

• Haha
i love this thread but it has made me realise all the things I remember with fondness are so inappropriate. I was born early 70s and in class 2 (year 1?) we did a concert, my song was ok (Daisy Daisy) but I now remember my friend Catherine singing:

2 lovely black eyes
Oh what a surprise
Only for telling a man he was wrong
2 lovely black eyes!

WTAF?

My favourite game was putting a tennis ball in a pair of my mums old tights and banging it against the wall singing rhymes, also inappropriate " Do you want a cigarette sir, no sir, why sir etc etc etc"

I also remember Suzy that others have mentioned " oh ha i lost my bra, left my knickers in my boyfriends car"

Also loved playing 2 balls; french skipping (elastics) and skipping - I couldn't skip now to save my life.

Collecting silver paper and bottle tops for the Blind Dogs.

Ahhhhhhhh

@monga i think you will probably remember:

Tufty (i still have my Tufty Club badge) - used for road safety
Charlie Says
Public Service Ads that scared you to death: Railway line, Fireworks etc
The Flumps
Stig of the dump
Murphys Mob (its on Britbox i think)
Grange Hill when it was Tucker Jenkins, Tricia Yates etc
Swap Shop
Itsy and Bitsy

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Did anyone else’s primary school have random weeks/days? I remember doing third world week and we had a Victorian day. I also randomly remember in year 6 we had a sleepover in the school hall to raise money for charity.

• Heart
I remember we use to have the nit nurse visit our primary school. My head would just itch at the thought of her being there. You just didn't want to be the child who had nits 🤣 I remember playing two balls and double dutch skipping.

Did anyone else’s primary school have random weeks/days? I remember doing third world week and we had a Victorian day. I also randomly remember in year 6 we had a sleepover in the school hall to raise money for charity.
The entire school once had an event called "Viking day" where we spent a week making these paper mache helmets and ship. Just to parade it round the school for the day, to see other classes/boats of vikings.

We had a polling station day too, I was very young probably around 6 at the time, we had a choice of chocolate if we voted labour or cheese if we voted for conservative by the teacher, then had to put our choice in a ballot box fashioned out of a cardboard box. I don't know or can even remember what it was then used for, but the whole infant school did it.

Being quite a culturally diversified school, we often had days dedicated for a specific culture. Where pupils from one chosen culture would bring in home made food and treats to try. Music, traditional dress and art dedicated to that culture all day. They were fun. Anything at all to do with art was my favourite.

• Haha
I remember we use to have the nit nurse visit our primary school. My head would just itch at the thought of her being there. You just didn't want to be the child who had nits 🤣 I remember playing two balls and double dutch skipping.
and everyone would always know who had it because they would stay with the nurse longer. Isn't it strange how nits just seem to disappear after a certain age? I remember there was always someone in class who would never get rid of them and constantly spread them around, grim :sick:

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The entire school once had an event called "Viking day" where we spent a week making these paper mache helmets and ship. Just to parade it round the school for the day, to see other classes/boats of vikings.

We had a polling station day too, I was very young probably around 6 at the time, we had a choice of chocolate if we voted labour or cheese if we voted for conservative by the teacher, then had to put our choice in a ballot box fashioned out of a cardboard box. I don't know or can even remember what it was then used for, but the whole infant school did it.

Being quite a culturally diversified school, we often had days dedicated for a specific culture. Where pupils from one chosen culture would bring in home made food and treats to try. Music, traditional dress and art dedicated to that culture all day. They were fun. Anything at all to do with art was my favourite.
I wonder would the Chocolate and Cheese bribe work in a real polling station 😂 Art was my fav thing too I used to be a really good at drawing .I loved Take heart with Tony Hart and Morph and dare I say Rolf Harris before I knew he was a perv :sick:

and everyone would always know who had it because they would stay with the nurse longer. Isn't it strange how nits just seem to disappear after a certain age? I remember there was always someone in class who would never get rid of them and constantly spread them around, grim :sick:
There’s supersonic nits in existence now I remember reading this about Susannah ( 3yrs ago)
80574CBE-C04B-4B3B-A9B7-07C44A661049.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
I wonder would the Chocolate and Cheese bribe work in a real polling station 😂 Art was my fav thing too I used to be a really good at drawing .I loved Take heart with Tony Hart and Morph and dare I say Rolf Harris before I knew he was a perv :sick:

There’s supersonic nits in existence now I remember reading this about Susannah ( 3yrs ago)View attachment 282068
I am convinced the polling day in school was some type of back in the day social experiment or study.

Dare I say it, I loved a bit of Rolf too. I so wanted it not to be true! Im pretty sure Tony Hart was on a Sunday, he has sunday vibes! Also couldn't beat a bit of Art Attack after school. Other things I watched after school were the very macabre Animals of Farthing Wood, Byker Grove, SuperTed and Banana Man back to back, FunHouse, some wild animal tit with Terry Nutkins and in the winter Moomins was always shown.

We had a teacher who was awesome and used to play us all the Rolf Harris classics on his guitar in assembly - we loved it! Those memories are severely tainted now unfortunately because I always think of RH when those songs pop into my head 🤢

• Sick