School memories from the 80’s/90’s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My primary school was also one that banned the giving of Christmas cards one year, we also had a new head teacher in our last year, I wasnt a mushy kid that cried and gave milk tray wrapped in cellophane went teachers left, infact I would go as far as saying it grossed me out, but other kids cried when the last head left. This new one didnt want any decor of christmas round the school, she said so "not to upset other religions", we had a winter fete instead of a Christmas one and so on - this was in the early-mid 90s, so very premature for this type of behaviour and it went down like a lead balloon. She was just a right Scrooge, a miserable, stone faced, old trollop. She wore purple lipstick and had jowls that wobbled like a Bulldogs. My siblings were in lower years and apparently christmas was celebrated again but alot less "locomotion".

• Wow
Reactions: 7
My primary school was also one that banned the giving of Christmas cards one year, we also had a new head teacher in our last year, I wasnt a mushy kid that cried and gave milk tray wrapped in cellophane went teachers left, infact I would go as far as saying it grossed me out, but other kids cried when the last head left. This new one didnt want any decor of christmas round the school, she said so "not to upset other religions", we had a winter fete instead of a Christmas one and so on - this was in the early-mid 90s, so very premature for this type of behaviour and it went down like a lead balloon. She was just a right Scrooge, a miserable, stone faced, old trollop. She wore purple lipstick and had jowls that wobbled like a Bulldogs. My siblings were in lower years and apparently christmas was celebrated again but alot less "locomotion".
Christ. I thought the whole “schools are cancelling Christmas” thing was a myth spread by alt right people😂

Glad to hear it went down like a lead balloon. Even today I don’t think it would wash.

Reactions: 7
The apparatus in the assembly hall which came out for PE. The blue gym mats. Wearing black plimsolls!
Book sales.
All parents having to do a whip round to buy one of the teachers a pair of designer jeans (can't remember why, but I do remember she was a mean teacher)
Red jelly and ice cream for dessert in the cafeteria
Playing "Just Grandma and Me" and "The Crystal Rainforest" on the PC
Omg Living Books cd roms were my favourite

Can’t remember if this has been posted, but someone calling Boris Johnson a Twit over on the Covid thread reminded me of this little rhyme/game we used to do on the playground

“Silence in the courtyard, silence in the street. The biggest twit in England is just about to speak”

The silent part of the game never lasted long but nobody wanted to be dubbed the biggest twit in England for the rest of the day😆

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I remember collecting the bubble gum records. I was obsessed with collecting them 🤣There were so many to chose from. Taking glass bottles of lemonade/cola back to the shops for money to pay for them 🤣 I always bought these on the way home from school. Also balls for games.

Attachments

Reactions: 1
The excitement of getting to order something from the book catalogue 😂😂 does anyone else remember those colour by number by number posters?

Reactions: 9
In nursery snack time was squash and biscuits (proper ones like pink wafers, party rings, malted milk) and an episode of come outside or el nombre. Ahh.

There was also blue pop, Turkey twizzlers (🤢) potato smilies and lots of pizza.

Reactions: 3
In nursery snack time was squash and biscuits (proper ones like pink wafers, party rings, malted milk) and an episode of come outside or el nombre. Ahh.

There was also blue pop, Turkey twizzlers (🤢) potato smilies and lots of pizza.
xoes anyone remember those panda pop drinks they always had in tuck shops? I never saw them anywhere else! do tuck shops even exist now?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
These three bring back memories View attachment 286921
I loved these books 🥰 x

xoes anyone remember those panda pop drinks they always had in tuck shops? I never saw them anywhere else! do tuck shops even exist now?
I remember Panda pops 🙂 x
I loved them..for some reason I remember the cola one the most.
I think they was around last about twenty years ago with a more modern design...I had them a long time before that in the early 80s.

I remember school tuck shops but don't know if they still exist nowadays.

Reactions: 4
I loved these books 🥰 x

I remember Panda pops 🙂 x
I loved them..for some reason I remember the cola one the most.
I think they was around last about twenty years ago with a more modern design...I had them a long time before that in the early 80s.

I remember school tuck shops but don't know if they still exist nowadays.
Peter ,Jane and Pat the dog got us where we are today :ROFLMAO: at least that's who I'm blaming anyway ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Peter ,Jane and Pat the dog got us where we are today :ROFLMAO: at least that's who I'm blaming anyway ;)
Loool That made me laugh 😄 x

My school memories ...I remember having the best flapjacks I've ever tasted in the school canteen at break time. I can still remember the taste. Sometimes they was slightly warm which was even nicer I wish they was around today.

I was at senior school in 85 to 1990 and in the mid 80s there was alot of teacher strikes.
If the teacher was late we get our hopes up to be sent home lol..then we was told to get a form from the headmaster's office to excuse us from school, we got sent home alot.

We also got sent home in the snow if it was very cold (infants and juniors) as all toilet blocks was outside and the water had frozen in the cisterns and in the bowls..I remember that vividly.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Loool That made me laugh 😄 x

My school memories ...I remember having the best flapjacks I've ever tasted in the school canteen at break time. I can still remember the taste. Sometimes they was slightly warm which was even nicer I wish they was around today.

I was at senior school in 85 to 1990 and in the mid 80s there was alot of teacher strikes.
If the teacher was late we get our hopes up to be sent home lol..then we was told to get a form from the headmaster's office to excuse us from school, we got sent home alot.

We also got sent home in the snow if it was very cold (infants and juniors) as all toilet blocks was outside and the water had frozen in the cisterns and in the bowls..I remember that vividly.
Wow ! outdoor toilets ...no our school deffs wasn't as bad as that or I'd have been holding it in till I got home.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
We didn't have outdoor toilets, but we used get sent home if it snowed or was very cold because the heating in the school was tempermental to say the least. The school was built in the early 60s. I was there mid 80s-early 90s and I don't think the heating had been upgraded since the school was built.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
If you didn’t end up with bruised shins from this it’s a miracle
19F65FD5-4F2F-4C36-933D-993F07D8B05B.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 10