School memories from the 80’s/90’s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is such a nice thread, every time i visit i leave with a smile and a memory of something i’d thought i’d forgotten about!

Our primary school head teacher was Ringo Starrs cousin so we used to sing *a lot* of Beatles songs in assembly and actually lots of really random stuff when i think about it - did anyone else used to sing “I sing the body electric”? I’m 36 and if that song gets in my head ever now it’s there for days!!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
25AB71F2-FD49-4B4D-BC2E-336B71C82D86.png

Having one of these delicacies at break time 😂 think I also remember there being a blue one because everything in the 90s was crammed with E numbers of course!!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
During the times of blackboard, the "common knowledge" at school was that you mixed chalk powder with water and drank it to get a fever to skip school 😂 Never tried it myself, the thought was too gross so never knew if it was really true. Was this a thing everywhere or did I just go to school with mini psychopaths?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Did anyone else have the candy man rumour at their school? The whole thing was if you stared in the mirror in the toilets and said ‘candy man’ 5 times he would appear. Obviously total bollocks but we all believed it at the time and there was always that one kid who swore up and down that they saw him😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Did anyone else have the candy man rumour at their school? The whole thing was if you stared in the mirror in the toilets and said ‘candy man’ 5 times he would appear. Obviously total bollocks but we all believed it at the time and there was always that one kid who swore up and down that they saw him😂
I heard similar but it was "bloody mAry" at midnight, and you turned around and she scratched your face. even more than 20 years kater I would never dare to do it

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I heard similar but it was "bloody mAry" at midnight, and you turned around and she scratched your face. even more than 20 years kater I would never dare to do it
Ha! Yes, you had to comb your hair 20 times (or similar) in the mirror then run around flicking all the lights off, then stand there in the dark and say 'Bloody Mary' three times. Nothing every happened (obviously) but it used to scare the crap out of me. I still can't look in a mirror in the dark now!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Did anyone else have a music teacher obsessed with The Beatles? Not sure if it's my imagination, but I'm sure there was an actual song book...rather like the Come and Praise hymn book. Anyway for 4 years we sang Beatles songs in music lessons.
I never appreciated it at the time, the teacher was a bit weird. Used to hit a key on the piano and ask us what it was...erm what? Lol...

Reactions: 3
Anyone remember these....used to be sold when this book club thing used to come to the school every 6 months. God I loved them!
FACD5C98-5B22-430C-AFFD-38037730912C.png

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Anyone remember these....used to be sold when this book club thing used to come to the school every 6 months. God I loved them! View attachment 290147
Owning a Funfax was such a big deal in my school! i loved mine, felt really special flicking though it and adding stickers and notes 🤣🤣 I’ve just spent 15 minutes looking at images of funfax inserts and trying to remember what i had in mine 🙈🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Owning a Funfax was such a big deal in my school! i loved mine, felt really special flicking though it and adding stickers and notes 🤣🤣 I’ve just spent 15 minutes looking at images of funfax inserts and trying to remember what i had in mine 🙈🙈
Me and my brother used to love them so much I don’t think we even wrote in them! Wanted to keep them in perfect condition! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣I reckon I still have an old one somewhere!

Reactions: 2
Did anyone else get one of these? The teachers told us it would be very important in our future & never to throw it away 😂 I’ve never used mine since I put my GCSE results in it
Yes. I've no idea where mine went!

I haven't caught up with all 22 pages so sorry if this is a repeat... The book fair used to excite me and I remember there was always a rush from girls in the group to order the book that would come with a princess necklace or something. Like our lives depended on it.

Reactions: 3
B4D74400-F095-4278-A93A-36A34217B5D8.jpeg

Anyone remember these I had the whole collection
3CD915E5-9936-4BC6-BA4E-FE56DD93BB93.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Oh yeah. I was that kid that would go round to the newsagents and count out 50 black jacks or fruit salad chews for 50p 😂
Everyone I knew always counted the sweets as soon as they went outside to make sure there were none missing ,although I don't know what we would've done if there were our shopkeeper wasn't one to be challenged 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Everyone I knew always counted the sweets as soon as they went outside to make sure there were none missing ,although I don't know what we would've done if there were our shopkeeper wasn't one to be challenged 😂
I cringe now thinking the poor shopkeeper had to verify my counting 😂 I was always determined to get as much for my £3 a week as I could!
With queues behind me huffing and puffing because they wanted to just pay for their paper and cigarettes.

• Haha
Reactions: 2